Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

3 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Anyone know why we did stall on Piroe for so long. When Stewart signed we still had Adams, Armstrong, Mara and Onuachu. So, we could have just signed Piroe earlier anyway. Again, there wasn’t a lot of foresight or forward planning going on this summer from observing outside.

I'm not sure but thinking about it, Martins demeanour has changed since Piroe went to Leeds.. I wonder if he was promised him and we didn't get him - or he wanted him and was told no. 

There has been a few odd comments from him since the close of the window. Definitely not all rosey I suspect. 

• Haha 1

I spoke to a contact of mine who watches Sunderland and Saints quite regularly and has feedback from both camps.
As many of us would agree with, Sunderland were amazed how easy it was to win the game up on Wearside.
There was an expectation from Sunderland how to deal with Russell Martin's game plan but nobody assumed it would be so easy.
Apparently Ross Stewart was 'only' on around £4k a week at Sunderland so it was a no brainer for him and his agent to accept something in the region of £25k pw to come here.
It appears that RS was rated very highly in the north east so, when fit (eventually!!!) he could, potentially, do a good job for us.
The question is how will he fit into RM's pattern of play and will he be expected to replace Che Adams, or play alongside him?

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, swannymere said:

What's happening?

Said in the presser that he’s been back in training for a few weeks, think he said participating in some sessions and hopefully back sooner rather than later. Didn’t want to put a date on return but suspect after the break we’ll probably see him start to make the subs bench.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 18:08, spyinthesky said:

I spoke to a contact of mine who watches Sunderland and Saints quite regularly and has feedback from both camps.
As many of us would agree with, Sunderland were amazed how easy it was to win the game up on Wearside.
There was an expectation from Sunderland how to deal with Russell Martin's game plan but nobody assumed it would be so easy.
Apparently Ross Stewart was 'only' on around £4k a week at Sunderland so it was a no brainer for him and his agent to accept something in the region of £25k pw to come here.
It appears that RS was rated very highly in the north east so, when fit (eventually!!!) he could, potentially, do a good job for us.
The question is how will he fit into RM's pattern of play and will he be expected to replace Che Adams, or play alongside him?

I know that your average shelf stacker probably makes that in two months (before tax too) but that's virtual poverty for a footballer!

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Said in the presser that he’s been back in training for a few weeks, think he said participating in some sessions and hopefully back sooner rather than later. Didn’t want to put a date on return but suspect after the break we’ll probably see him start to make the subs bench.

He was reportedly back in training before he joined us, indeed Sunderland had a friendly lined up for him to play in the week following our match against them, so it is a bit of a surprise that it has taken so long for him to be ready, RM had previously said after the break, so this is no real news, if anything it sounds like his return has slipped a bit. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He was reportedly back in training before he joined us, indeed Sunderland had a friendly lined up for him to play in the week following our match against them, so it is a bit of a surprise that it has taken so long for him to be ready, RM had previously said after the break, so this is no real news, if anything it sounds like his return has slipped a bit. 

Yeah, sorry, rather than just repeat what Martin said in the presser I should have said it's amazing he hasn't stuck to a fairly loose prediction of when he'll be back.  Personally I doubt he'll ever play again.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

When he signed they gave similar dates to now. Doesn't sound like anything has changed to me. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I know that your average shelf stacker probably makes that in two months (before tax too) but that's virtual poverty for a footballer!

Hopefully the deal we offered him was heavily weighted to performance bonuses and actually being on the pitch 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trousers said:

Chances of a sneaky appearance on the bench today with a 10 minute cameo when we're already 7-0 up?

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

hahhahaha bro

Indeed :)

we could have done with a 10 minute cameo for very different reasons!

• Like 1

So much pressure on this guy to get fit, stay fit and deliver. His record last season pre injury was fantastic but it is a small sample size and a bad injury to come back from. Che staying seemed to give us enough but he’s just run out of his August Space Jam again. 

• Like 1

From reading Sunderland’s fans comments on him I get the feeling he could be our new Rickie lambert.. described him as a natural finisher that can score all types of goals decent with both feet and in the air. And also good touch and work rate .. some also thought he was kevin Phillips good . Sounds great :)

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

From reading Sunderland’s fans comments on him I get the feeling he could be our new Rickie lambert.. described him as a natural finisher that can score all types of goals decent with both feet and in the air. And also good touch and work rate .. some also thought he was kevin Phillips good . Sounds great :)

It does .....until you say when he last played a game of football...Big gamble to rely on him this season 

• Like 3

Serious Achilles injury...no guarantee he comes back the same player unfortunately. This is why I think it's crazy that we only bought Stewart and not another forward.

Surely we sell Che and get another in January? In fact I'd get another even if Che stays as he'll be going in the summer anyway.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Block41 Saint said:

£12m on a striker who isn't fit is peak Sports Republic. Awful owners and this guy will have the weight of the world on his shoulders to hit the ground running if he's ever fit. 

Not sure it's just Sports Republic or anything new., although it doesn't reflect well on them. But we've got a long history of buying crocks. Remember Delgado, and Charlie George from the 1970's. I'm sure there were others, but those two stay in the memory. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not sure it's just Sports Republic or anything new., although it doesn't reflect well on well on them. But we've got a long history of buying crocks. Remember Delgado, and Charlie George from the 1970's. I'm sure there were others, but those two stay in the memory. 

David Hurst, Jamie Redknapp, Charlie Austin, Danny Ings

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Serious Achilles injury...no guarantee he comes back the same player unfortunately. This is why I think it's crazy that we only bought Stewart and not another forward.

Surely we sell Che and get another in January? In fact I'd get another even if Che stays as he'll be going in the summer anyway.

Disagree really. I’m not at all a fan of Adams but him and Armstrong have both proven themselves in this league scoring 20 + a season each . Then we have Mara I know a lot of fans think he sucks atm but think it’s a bit unfair to judge him since he’s mainly been a bit part player,  he’s getting a load of stick for not impacting a game in the fifteen minutes he gets off the bench but this isn’t easy for any player. Give him a run in the side who knows ? He’s scored goals  in the Prem so could step up .

10 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Disagree really. I’m not at all a fan of Adams but him and Armstrong have both proven themselves in this league scoring 20 + a season each . Then we have Mara I know a lot of fans think he sucks atm but think it’s a bit unfair to judge him since he’s mainly been a bit part player,  he’s getting a load of stick for not impacting a game in the fifteen minutes he gets off the bench but this isn’t easy for any player. Give him a run in the side who knows ? He’s scored goals  in the Prem so could step up .

Has Mara scored goals in the prem? Didn't he get 1 goal? Sorry but no matter what you say, I think he is shite. 

Adams has given up because the transfer window has closed. He just isn't getting involved in games. 

Armstrong has never really played well as a central striker and tends to score more goals playing wide in a front 3. 

It's not good just having "numbers" upfront. They've actually gotta be decent. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, lambtiss said:

David Hurst, Jamie Redknapp, Charlie Austin, Danny Ings

Must be up there as one of the vilest runts that ever played for us.

There must be a book in the boardroom of rules to follow on how to do smart arse purchases of players which they all pick up because it's true, we regularly sign crocks hoping they're not truly crocked. Only Danny boy did the business. I remember the phase when we brought in the ageing stars (eg Kevin Keegan) and that worked better.

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

David "he would be our best player if he didn't spend so much time in the treatment room" Connolly.

Top class player at league one level

his “back from the dead” chat was cringy though and he didn’t like it

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Has Mara scored goals in the prem? Didn't he get 1 goal? Sorry but no matter what you say, I think he is shite. 

Adams has given up because the transfer window has closed. He just isn't getting involved in games. 

Armstrong has never really played well as a central striker and tends to score more goals playing wide in a front 3. 

It's not good just having "numbers" upfront. They've actually gotta be decent. 

Still two of the three are proven 20+ goal strikers in this league. Stewart to come in, Mara let’s see ;) .. also we can play with alcaraz false 9 and I’m sure sulamana will chip in some goals. For championship level I think we look quite stocked 

32 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Joel Piroe has 5 in 8 at Leeds, could've just signed him.

The only explanation is something to do with out relationship with Swansea being so damaged.

Should have been the no brainer of the summer.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Joel Piroe has 5 in 8 at Leeds, could've just signed him.

We never had much of a chance with piroe, Leeds had been chasing him for over a year, whereas we only came sniffing after we dropped a level. He was always heading there, nothing  we could have done to convince him to come here.

Did he even play against us the other week? Didn't notice him if he did, certainly didn't cause our leaky defence any problems. 

Adam armstrong scored 7 in 9, I'd rather have him.

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The only explanation is something to do with out relationship with Swansea being so damaged.

Yep. If Leeds were willing to pay similar money to us, there was never any realistic prospect if Swansea selling the lad to us. 

9 minutes ago, ashnats said:

We never had much of a chance with piroe, Leeds had been chasing him for over a year, whereas we only came sniffing after we dropped a level. He was always heading there, nothing  we could have done to convince him to come here.

Did he even play against us the other week? Didn't notice him if he did, certainly didn't cause our leaky defence any problems. 

Adam armstrong scored 7 in 9, I'd rather have him.

oh right. so we would have had to sell Armstrong if we signed Piroe?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I said at the time haggling, threats of court, throwing weight around etc over a million quid or so, was stupid considering we'd want to buy 3 or 4 of their players. 

I still can't believe we didn't sign him. Ridiculous. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Not sure why all the hype over piroe.. tbh I think Stewart will be a better signing as long as he retains his abilily after the injury .. he was close to a goal a game last season prior 

Ross Stewart has played thirteen games at Championship level his entire life.

Piroe has played nearly 100 Championship matches and is scoring not far off 1 in 2, 46 goals.

It's not "hype", he's clearly a proven Championship level striker.

We've signed a proven League One striker with potential.

• Like 1

"The level of effort" quite obviously equals "amount of money"

They offered him more, so he went there. 

Nothing ridiculous about it, nothing to do with haggling with Swansea over compensation.

Looking forward to seeing Stewart play, he looks like the type of player who could make a really positive difference to our attack.

• Like 1