Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

1 minute ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I watched it and I disagree. But, y'know - opinions, arseholes etc. Regardless of how well we did or didn't play, we're really looking like a team that's forgotten how to win games, unfortunately.

I watched it too and I thought we were shit. Boro much the better side in the first half, we never really looked like scoring after our goal, we were slow, predictable, passing sideway alllowing them to get 10 men behind the ball. Pathetic errors for both goals and lucky it was only 2 in the end. Against the bottom team who had lost 5 out 7 until today. 

• Like 9

Gonna start scraping at that barrel for positives. KWP gave it everything, but the set up doesn't bring the best out of him. Not quite fully up supporting the attacks, and often having to sprint back to the vacant gap behind him. But still our best player imo. Charles looked okay first half. Bednarek was generally fine. Stu tried to inject something into us when he came on, as did Edozie.

Holgate will probably never play for us again. An abysmal debut and now hooked at half time, how do you recover from that? Fraser I can't remember him doing anything positive in all his matches for us so far, but seems a guaranteed starter for whatever reason our hopeless manager has decided. Smallbone started better today but then totally lost. AA got a goal but was otherwise awful. Aribo was on for ten minutes too long. Manning is just not very good. Downes dear of dear was he bad.

I know we've all said it, but without RM having any notable track record, there isn't much hope to hold onto things improving under him. From the moment we scored, we looked awful and a boro win looked most likely. He didn't do anything about it until it was far too late. When it was 1-1 they were pushing hard. That was the time to inject a bit of counter attack pace with Sulemana and Edozie. Instead he waited till we went a goal down. Those players will find it so much harder against a deeper defence. In most of the matches recently, we've been scratching our heads at the initial selections, and his in game management is just as dreadful

• Like 3

Okay, I've seen enough. Reality check. We've just lost to the bottom club after leading 1-0 (good goal in fairness but then never saw AA again). It should have been 3-1 or 4-1 to Boro. We had one shot on target (Edozie) in all the time we had after going behind. At no point did we look like we were dominating or even controlling that game.

How does Alcaraz not feature in that game? Aribo before him, seriously?

Smallbone is bang average. Holgate not match fit. Manning bang average. Downes and Charles average at best today. Gosh, we even managed to make THB look bad - what is it with our club?

No energy, fight, confidence, tons of defensive errors again...predictably concede just before half time from a defensive error and a goal that I thought Bazunu could have saved. It was a penalty, stupid from THB.

Where to from here? 

Nothing I've seen suggest RM has coached our players into being better players or play an attractive system that wins football games. Four losses on the trot. Most goals conceded. Poor performances is putting it kindly...the previous two were shambolic...

Graham Potter is that you? C'mon down and have a go...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, harvey said:

There's no excuses, he has to go.

We have some excellent players at this club, they just need to be coached properly and played in a system that plays to their individual strengths.

But they also need to stop making stupid, suicidal mistakes. 2 massive individual mistakes today by 2 different players and 2 goals. Hardly any goals we have conceded so far this season have been down to good play by opponents (note I did not see the Norwich game). Good finishing yes, but virtually none from good build up. 

It’s not bed wetting now, we are in serious serious trouble. Already seen enough now to know we will not be getting promoted this year, and if we carry on with RM have to consider that another relegation is a real possibility. Why on earth our fans were signing the EIEIEIO song after we scored I don’t know, it was obvious the team would let them down. Poor finishing stopped that being 4 or 5 today.

Leeds finding their form now and I fully expect them to absolutely batter us next week - hopefully the fans make their feelings known.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well, it's gone just great since the transfer window shut.

And the one position we needed a real bit of quality in, striker, we brought a fuckin injured one, who won't be on the pitch until the end of October. We are run by an absolute bunch of amateurs. Even Ruper Lowe wasn't this fuckin clueless. 

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
spelling
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

What project?, the starting team was full of loans and we're closer to relegation zone than promotion.

Have you been living on the moon? It's a project to get us playing out from the back with possession football. It won't work in a million years but it is a project.

I'd probably hang fire until we get Stephens back and Ross Stewart integrated. If results are no better then, then they never willbe.

Constantly blaming the events of last season making the players lack courage - that irks me. We are not asking them to walk on firey coals, but be able to play decent football. It's the manager and coaches responsibility to get them playing to their potential, and they are failing to do that.

Once the best team is available, the judgement starts.

1 minute ago, die Mannyschaft said:

£22m sub comes on too late and does nothing,

Dont agree with this. He skinned his fullback a couple of times to make something happen. I've questioned his attitude, but he did more in 20 minutes than Frazer in 70.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Transfermarkt not working for me but whose currently free as a manager cos we wont be paying for another.

Gracia is and possibly realistic after getting sacked at Leeds. Felt both of his English football sackings were harsh and has had succesful moments

There’s absolutely no intensity to our play. We’re just so lackadaisical in how we move the ball that when we lose it we just don’t react. The old adage that if you start slow it’s difficult to raise your tempo seems very apt.

I never seen so many players end up on top of each other - the opposition don’t need to worry about cutting off our passing lanes - we do it ourselves by getting in each others way. In contrast, the Middlesbrough keeper seemed to be able to fire it along the floor to their centre forward without any jeopardy. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The problem is that everyone called for Downes and Charles to be played together and now that hasn't worked we don't really have any midfield combinations left to try. 

Charles as the central CDM anchor. Downes as the more defensive CM in a pair, and then Alcaraz/Stu alongside him with freedom to roam forward. That should be our central midfield triangle. Edozie and Sulemana on the wings. And then Che or AA up top. Done.

We've already fucked this part up, but the back 4 should have had an ABK stlyle defender with pace and power that could cover the counters (its almost like they forgot why we signed him 🙄). I don't really care who we pick as our 2 CBs, all much of a muchness but i guess Bednarek and THB is as solid as anything given what's left.

LB is a real weakness, as is RB when KWP gets injured/suspended or needs a break.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Any decent manager will want to dictate things. Martin clearly got this chance because he is being compliant with style and system or holds the same beliefs. Common theme with last 3 or even 4 managers now.  There has to be a reality check that we cannot just implement this whilst continuing to perform and pick points off. Are they truly willing to write this season off…

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Dont agree with this. He skinned his fullback a couple of times to make something happen. I've questioned his attitude, but he did more in 20 minutes than Frazer in 70.

Him, Edozie and Armstrong looked like making stuff happen. All three of them probably don’t start because they like to run with the ball not stop and turn back

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

And the one position we needed a real bit of quality in, striker, we brought a fuckin injured one, who won't be on the pitch until the end of October. 

to be fair, we kept Adams. Everyone on here seemed desperate to keep him rather than collect the £15m we could invest in a new striker (that wont walk on a free in the summer).  He's been shit so far. 

• Like 1

We were actually blocking ok before we gave away the ball, and then the penalty. BOTH goals were totally avoidable with a simple shout of " man on".

Fraser did nothing, Edozie much better, Sulemana looked threatening too. Armstrong did nothing apart from score, 2nd half in particular.  

Agree with the above poster, Alcarez being left on the bench for Aribo. WtF! 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Him, Edozie and Armstrong looked like making stuff happen. All three of them probably don’t start because they like to run with the ball not stop and turn back

How Fraser gets into the side ahead of those guys I will never know. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

to be fair, we kept Adams. Everyone on here seemed desperate to keep him rather than collect the £15m we could invest in a new striker (that wont walk on a free in the summer).  He's been shit so far. 

Agreed. He should be tearing up this league. I was one of those who wanted him to stay, ever since the window has shut he's been appalling.

• Like 2

I know it will get lost in the eventual it was all Baz's fault, but i want to highlight again just how much THB was dominated by Cobern. He made Bellis look small, weak and slow. He ragdolled him all game which led to Bellis having to drag him down for the pen. Very worrying just how poor he, manning and holgate have been so far. 

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

How's the Leicester and Leeds project going? 

Why should we put up with this when others in the same situation are doing so much better?

I'm not saying we should put up with it. However, all the noises coming out of the club suggest they have decided they'll give him time and won't sack him any time soon. We have to remember we are already paying 3 managers.

26 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The longer he has with the team the worse they get. Budget Puel.

Bigger issue is sports republic however. Absolutely shocking mismanagement of the club so far. No doub when they sack Martin they'll point to all the decision makers being new this time around / having to learn on the job / made a mistake but will get better... blah blah blah.

Fact remains our summer business was shite, our manager is shite, and our ownership group are shite. The decision to switch ABK for Holgate on loan deals is just mental, the one thing we need is a fast and powerful CB to protect us on the counter - we got rid of him (for peanuts) and signed holgate 🤣... Manning isn't good enough. We're dropping players like Armstrong and Alcaraz to start Aribo and smallbone. And Edozie and Sulemana are our best wingers and neither start.

It genuinely feels like we're owned by Pompey fans doing everything they can to manager us to the slowest death possible - that is how bad SR and co are.

Penny for Alcaraz's thoughts - one of the few players to make genuine and public overtures of loyalty this summer... can't get a game over downes, smallbone, aribo, or fraser. Laughable.

Puel was a decent defensive coach who conceded few goals, took us to a cup final and finished 8th in Premier League.  I watched us win up here against Boro under Puel.  Trust me that era was light years ahead of this

Edited by Forester
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

We should have gone for Howe when we had the chance in the premier league 

we should have spent that extra money and got the Andy Reid deal done. Actually, I think the real problem was allow Chris Nicholl to go...

I don't know the exact number but it is frightening how many chances we have conceded in the last four matches. The percentage caused by our own mistakes will be even more freigtening. Today for example Downes plays a pathetic ball into the box admittedly but all of a sudden we have a 4/5 v 2 counter which Boro cocked up in truth. The ease in which the opposition are making and converting chances are inexcusable. To be fair we look absolutely clueless going forward as well too so it's all rather a big bloody mess. Players look totally joyless and robotic. There is no character or spark.

Just now, saintant said:

I'm not saying we should put up with it. However, all the noises coming out of the club suggest they have decided they'll give him time and won't sack him any time soon. We have to remember we are already paying 3 managers.

Well then sack him, let the coaching staff train them and let the fans pick the team/squad/tactics via a poll. Genuinely think we'd do better

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

I know it will get lost in the eventual it was all Baz's fault, but i want to highlight again just how much THB was dominated by Cobern. He made Bellis look small, weak and slow. He ragdolled him all game which led to Bellis having to drag him down for the pen. Very worrying just how poor he, manning and holgate have been so far. 

Agreed, but if felt like he was isolated out there.  In fact the team cohesion was appalling, very few open options for passing or support.

11 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Dreadful comparison. Puel could coach a defence.

Quite. Approach play is very similar, wants us to pass it across the midfield and defence like he's on LSD and just discovered stroking Ice Cream... The big difference being he's got a far worse defensive setup and tells the players to pass the ball to the opposition or they'll be dropped. Shocking manager.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agreed. He should be tearing up this league. I was one of those who wanted him to stay, ever since the window has shut he's been appalling.

I wanted him sold - mostly because he will walk for free and next summer we will have £0 to spend - but having kept him, I expected him to bully CBs, hold the ball up and get us up the pitch. He hasn't done that at all yet. 

• Like 1