Stoke 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

That was an extremely boring match. Let’s not pretend it was an excellent, well-drilled performance. It was dull from start to finish.

Stoke ultimately haven’t changed their style of player since the Tony Pulis days, relying on crosses to bounce through to someone. Thought they were very whiny and constantly moaning at the ref, when really all the ref got wrong was Bednarek’s rugby tackle.

Some strong performances from Bazunu and Bednarek for us. I thought Sulemana and Alcaraz looked either a little half arsed or tired in the first half.

Che Adams not being subbed on says a lot about where Russell Martin sees him. He’ll probably be sold in January at cut price.

Three points is three points! I’m sure they’ll be more changes on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Chez said:

I'd be wary of overpraising our side. The decent sides (Leicester, Sunderland) have taken us apart. The lessor sides haven't. Not sure we have improved much in the last week or two. The standard of opposition has been much worse. 

You don’t think Leeds are a decent side?

• Like 6

Amazing what different people see reading the last few pages. Except THB every player was either really shit or really good. I think it was a great result, Stoke obviously got under our skin and get pretty much their whole team back defending when we attacked, hence the tippy tappy around the box with hardly no shots. I think they were playing for a draw and it would have been if not for Stu's great free kick. 

I had this down as a lose or draw so now we have to batter Rotherham and keep climbing the table, hopefully Ipswich and Leicester start dropping points soon. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, SWLondonSaint said:

Reading this thread you think we lost😆

clean sheet and a win away from home is always an excellent result. Not going to be able to string 50 pass goals every week, but we did what we needed to do and that’s all that matters

I don't think anyone is demanding beautiful goals every week. But it would have been good to see a bit more cutting edge up front. We should have got another goal and taken the pressure of ourselves. Still it was good to see we stood up to the pressure at the end.

Good result, average performance. 

Not a classic match. Scrappy and lacking in form  BUT it was a clean sheet and three points away from home 

so surely we have little to complain about.   We still managed majority possession.. 57% but the most telling stat. was

probably the worst condemnation of Stoke's performance ...   4 yellow cards..might have been more and ..17 fouls to our  2 

First time thus season we'd fielded an unchanged side and the back line looked stable and seldom troubled.

ONLY  1-0 ....but we might have had a couple more but for poor finishing and a bit of luck for the Stoke defence. 

Two wins and now we must really exploit our game v. Rotherham.     Needs a convincing result on Saturday and more goals.

Got home at 2am with the 3 points in the bag, first half, it was looking like it was only our errors that were going to gift Stoke a goal, clear foul on Stu for the free kick with the player pulling his shorts back, did'nt hear there fans until the second half, they just sat there uninterested, i did think this could be us in a few years if we dont get promotion. Saints fans were good again even though the ground was half empty and we really didnt create much. one thing i did like is we are showing some bollocks and little partnerships are forming all over the pitch, the want to win and back each other is gradually showing, the spine of the team is looking so much better as well. If only we had a centre forward to be ruthless and finish games off, enjoyed the night though and worth the trip up north 😁 Keep backing the boys. Onwards and upwards. UTS  😇

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good win against a horrible team.  Loads of sly fouls, shirt pulling and remonstrating with the ref.  Manager is a whingeing prick as well.

Thought Downes and Smallbone rose to the challenge tonight.  

Agree that was textbook Stoke performance like they used to play with Pulis , not stop moaning and blaming the ref , nice to beat them 

• Like 2

Well at last the whole team fought for each other the badge the shirt the manager and the fans! 3-0 would have Been a true reflection of the game.

So satisfying to beat an ugly team in their own backyard full credit to the referee for standing up to them(literally)!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chez said:

I'd be wary of overpraising our side. The decent sides (Leicester, Sunderland) have taken us apart. The lessor sides haven't. Not sure we have improved much in the last week or two. The standard of opposition has been much worse. 

Wise words and the Preston game will be a good test. They'll be humps and bumps in this season yet.

However, there was a fair bit of hope in that performance as well. I thought our remaining Prem standatd players, such as they are, looked increasingly confident. I thought some of the passing was excellent.

Maybe just maybe they are starting to play the way Martin wants.

Onward and upward.

• Like 1

The achievement was the clean sheet, at long last. Using five substitutions to do this was OK given the short time since the previous match on Saturday. But because the result was entirely down to Stu Armstrong’s exceptional free kick, the team as a whole can’t take credit for the win and neither can the manager. They did enough for an away draw, nothing more.  No credit for Martin’s “system”, whatever that is. It was Armstrong’s win. 
We desperately needed a second goal after the halftime break but never really looked like getting one. For Martin to make 5 substitutions but not bring on our international striker was against common sense. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Another one who got home at 2 last night

Echo what others have said, back 4 looking way more solid & looking way more cohesive.  Downes looking like why we bought him.  Felt sorry for Alcarez - trying too hard

Saints fans were excellent all game - Stoke fans were an embarrassment, i have heard a more mute crowd in my life!

Although the locals were not happy after the game - the walk back to the car was a bit hairy!!

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, saintant said:

Downes was superb tonight. He did exactly what he was meant to and that would have been a comfortable win if others had played to his level tonight. 

Yes, we saw tonight (and glimpses v Leeds) why Downes is rated so highly.  He held the midfield together defensively but also showed a capacity to link with the attacking players - he and THB look outstanding additions and it’s a pity neither are here permanently.

while not a great game to watch, Saints willingness to graft it out against a typical Stoke lineup was exactly the performance needed in an away night game.  Superb free kick from SA, good games from KWP and Bednarek and once again Sulemana showed what a crucial part of the promotion possibility he is - not just a dangerous runner with the ball, he drags multiple defenders out of position and picks out a good pass.  A 3-0 score line tonight would not have flattered Saints.

Good but scrappy game. Got to see a different side to the players (real grit at the end).

However, not winning that game would have been a poor result, they have a very large injury list, and we were hanging on in the end with a good defensive wall.

The defence was good, can't see a reason at all to change that on Sat. Downes was very good, Stu and Smallbone were tidy. Charlie was OK. Sully was excellent going forward, woeful in defence - which against a full strength stoke/better team, could easily cripple us. Arma was busy and suits a wide forward position.

This is a set up that suits us more. More pragmiatism, but we still clearly have better players than most. I think having Che or Stewart for Alcaraz would be better...as we offered nothing as a goal threat in the 1st half, better in the 2nd.

Mara has to score that chance BTW.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Professor said:

We desperately needed a second goal after the halftime break but never really looked like getting one.

Really? We created some excellent chances in the second half. Stuey's header just after the break. Sulemana's run & shot that the keeper made a good save from, Mara blazing wide when through on goal.... I think we actually created some better scoring opportunities last night than against Leeds - the finishing was just better against Leeds. In that game, Armstrong's first was a super finish from a very acute angle. His second was actually parried away by the keeper initially and wouldn't have gone in if it hadn't hit the defender and Smallbone's was another lovely finish from the edge of the area. Last night the finishing wasn't as clinical. Despite the naysayers on here, we actually broke at pace a number of times last night. Certainly not flowing football, but effective and the defending & commitment to the common cause was a million times better than in some of the previous matches.

Edited by CamSaint
spelling
  • Like 9

Fair play to Martin for playing a more pragmatic style that better suits the limitations and strengths of the team - we seem to have lost the ability to outpass teams since JWP left. Both sides gave the ball away repeatedly and got away with it when they would have got destroyed in the Prem, but hopefully I can worry about that next season! Multiple times Sully made a good run and we couldn't pick him out with the right pass which was a waste of his ability. One moment of real quality won it from Stu although he messed up the other one with Arma's perfect cross.

Great to see Smallbone getting stuck in more and making some important interceptions covering back and likewise Bednarek was up for the challenge and won a lot of headers when Stoke reverted to type and went route one. Downes also looked better, although Xavi he is not.

Not a great game, but I'll take a win all day long, particularly on a (dry) Tuesday night in Stoke!

1 hour ago, saintoaks said:

Got home at 2am with the 3 points in the bag, first half, it was looking like it was only our errors that were going to gift Stoke a goal, clear foul on Stu for the free kick with the player pulling his shorts back, did'nt hear there fans until the second half, they just sat there uninterested, i did think this could be us in a few years if we dont get promotion. Saints fans were good again even though the ground was half empty and we really didnt create much. one thing i did like is we are showing some bollocks and little partnerships are forming all over the pitch, the want to win and back each other is gradually showing, the spine of the team is looking so much better as well. If only we had a centre forward to be ruthless and finish games off, enjoyed the night though and worth the trip up north 😁 Keep backing the boys. Onwards and upwards. UTS  😇

Away support was decent I thought, got behind the lads when up against it in the second half, reasonable numbers considering it was midweek , up north, live on sky , long old journey back with m3 closure adding to it , home in the early hours 

IMG-20231003-WA0009.jpg.04291df3cd58531cf207f21eaec51ce6.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Smallbone and Mara are both proper cack.

Probably a good job Tella left. He's never getting in the team ahead of Sully.

I thought Smallbone was decent to be honest, got involved with the play much more, bit odd the home fans booing him , he was only on loan there it's not like he forced a move away 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

I thought Smallbone was decent to be honest, got involved with the play much more, bit odd the home fans booing him , he was only on loan there it's not like he forced a move away 

Oh he got involved and put himself about. I've never disputed the lad's commitment and work rate, that's absolutely brilliant. But so would mine be if I played for Saints. I just don't think he's very good.

• Like 1

It took Martin far too long to stop our self destructing short passing in our own half under pressure. Manning was hopeless and got us into trouble trying to pull the ball down and play short. He is so one footed he nearly always turns right and plays the ball across our danger area instead of down the line.

Once we had three centre backs on, Bazunu went long into the right corner the game was virtually over as we pinned the ball in that corner time after time.There's a lesson to be taken on board here. One good thing except for a few occasions we defended with numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Professor said:

The achievement was the clean sheet, at long last. Using five substitutions to do this was OK given the short time since the previous match on Saturday. But because the result was entirely down to Stu Armstrong’s exceptional free kick, the team as a whole can’t take credit for the win and neither can the manager. They did enough for an away draw, nothing more.  No credit for Martin’s “system”, whatever that is. It was Armstrong’s win. 
We desperately needed a second goal after the halftime break but never really looked like getting one. For Martin to make 5 substitutions but not bring on our international striker was against common sense. 

Really?  We should have had at least one more in the second half.  Mara should have at least hit the target when through, Sulemana didnt lift the ball up enough when through, Stu Armstrongs header was blocked and Alcarez was straight at the keeper from a free header.  Main problem was not being clinical enough.  Baz made a couple of decent stops but Stoke rarely threatened.

Good solid performance against a horrible team.  One thing I did notice was how narrow the full backs were.  Meant that Stoke got lots of crosses in, especially from their right.  Can only assume that this was deliberate but it seemed a bit odd. 

1 hour ago, fanimal said:

Well at last the whole team fought for each other the badge the shirt the manager and the fans! 3-0 would have Been a true reflection of the game.

So satisfying to beat an ugly team in their own backyard full credit to the referee for standing up to them(literally)!!

Including after the final whistle. What was going on there? Always think a mass brawl - for brawl read handbags - is a good thing for increasing team spirit.

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Goals change matches or are you saying we should've played like it was 0-0??  Don't understand this viewpoint at all.  

15 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Goals change matches or are you saying we should've played like it was 0-0??  Don't understand this viewpoint at all.  

I believe what he's trying to say is...

When we lose (or even draw) it's Martin's fault and not the players

When we win it's the players credit and not Martin 

Our fans really do hate the manager for some reason. Looking forward to the "HE OWES US! THERE'S NO LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL ANYMORE!!!" crap when he ditches us for a slightly bigger club in a year or two.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Our fans really do hate the manager for some reason. Looking forward to the "HE OWES US! THERE'S NO LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL ANYMORE!!!" crap when he ditches us for a slightly bigger club in a year or two.

If you were there last night you wouldn't be saying such rubbish.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Including after the final whistle. What was going on there? Always think a mass brawl - for brawl read handbags - is a good thing for increasing team spirit.

Yes what did happen? The tv only showed after it had started. Hope there's no danger of the league or FA investigating ...... a fine for "not controlling our players", or worse, a suspension for someone for "bringing game into disrepute"

Good result. Both CB's impressed me as did Downes.

Sort of game you forget instantly and look back on at the end of the season as one of those gritty away day's that were a crucial part of a promotion season (hopefully)

That "finish" from Mara though, absolutely dreadful. Is there a player that can consistently contribute for us?

5 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Good result. Both CB's impressed me as did Downes.

Sort of game you forget instantly and look back on at the end of the season as one of those gritty away day's that were a crucial part of a promotion season (hopefully)

That "finish" from Mara though, absolutely dreadful. Is there a player that can consistently contribute for us?

If we wrote off every player after one missed opportunity we'd never be able to field a team. 

Mara looked good when he came on, had good control and turned the opposition around a bit. Poor finish from someone over eager to get his first goal of the season but I would rather we use him than Adams at this point.

• Like 5

First game I have been to for awhile that we have won! So very happy. Lots to do still so not getting over excited. Some here calling for lots of goals come Saturday, but I think just another win will do, to start building a steady run. Some good performances last night. THB, Bednarek, KWP who was smiling like a Cheshire cat whilst winding up Stoke fans and players at the end, and especially when walking back to the tunnel. He seemed genuinely ecstatic and proud to still be a Saint. Sadly some dross. I love stu to bits but he was poor, but for the goal. But if he can do that every week he can be as crap as he likes for 89 mins. RM got a great cheer at the end. I think deep down we all really want to love him! And we will if he maintains this more pragmatic approach and delivers results. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we wrote off every player after one missed opportunity we'd never be able to field a team. 

Mara looked good when he came on, had good control and turned the opposition around a bit. Poor finish from someone over eager to get his first goal of the season but I would rather we use him than Adams at this point.

It's more the overall body of work I am using to make my point with. I'm not writing him off, I'm looking to get thoughts of other fans on his ability.

Not sure why so many people are hammering Mara for what I thought was a decent cameo. A few nice touches, nice turns and a good run for a chance that yes he should have scored. Also not sure why there’s a narrative that we were lucky, we should’ve been about 4 up before Stoke caused us any issues at all - not sure what Russell could do tactically that would make Stu, Charly or Sulemana score what were relatively simple chances. We probably created about as much as we did against Leeds, the difference was against Leeds we were unusually clinical. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Yes what did happen? The tv only showed after it had started. Hope there's no danger of the league or FA investigating ...... a fine for "not controlling our players", or worse, a suspension for someone for "bringing game into disrepute"

It had been simmering, classic Stoke leaving late challenges, we put the ball out for one of their injured players and they didn't pass it back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Professor said:

What game were you watching fella?? 🤣

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

The armchair supporters on here!  The Leeds supporters at St Mary's Saturday had the perfect chant for people watching the game in TV!!

As ever this thread is infested by negativity (not by all of course!) 😵

Hands up all of those who would have settled for an 'ugly' 1-0 win away at Stoke on a Tuesday night, before the match ??

If we can get a run of home wins going then hard fought away points like these will be invaluable !

• Like 7

I have watched the last 2 games abroad in Venezuela as i'm visiting my son who lives and works out here. It has been weird watching our game against Leeds at 7:30 am by the swimming pool and then watching an evening game against a dirty Stoke side at 3pm in the afternoon!

I was totally depressed about Saints before I arrived but the last 2 results have been good for the soul. The team are starting to click and Martin is at last playing his strongest side.

Last night (afternoon) was good to watch, the way the lads coped with a dirty Stoke side that really tried it on with the ref. We coped and we fought for one another. Praise where praise is due, i thought the defence did a great job really fighting for everything.

There are some nice partnerships developing, THB and Bednarek are looking good together, Downes was excellent and Smallbone did his part in that midfield partnership. I have got to say i do like Shea Charles, he is very composed and is going to be very important for us.

Great goal by Stu, so pleased for him, really like him as a player and another i think will be very important for us.

Sully scares the crap out of defenders, he has electric pace. He will get better and better of that i have no doubt.

Well done Saints, win on Saturday and i might just have to stay out here ! 

• Like 3