January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Squad if we sign another attacker and no one else left - 

Bazunu, Lumley, McCarthy.

KWP, Bree.

Manning, Meghoma.

THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Holgate.

Downes, Charles, Smallbone, S.Armstrong, Alcaraz, Rothwell, Aribo.

Fraser, Edozie, Sulemena, Benson, A.Armstrong, Adams, Mara.

That's 25 players. Plus promising youngsters SAA and Dibling. At least 2 players per position.

I've discounted Larios and Stewart because it's unlikely they are going to play again this season.

If we do sign Benson that'll be 6 loanees and we are only allowed 5 in a match day squad. Would we leave one out each week or look to terminate one of them? 

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

KWP, Bree.

Manning, Meghoma.

That's 25 players. Plus promising youngsters SAA and Dibling. At least 2 players per position.

I've discounted Larios and Stewart because it's unlikely they are going to play again this season.

If we do sign Benson that'll be 6 loanees and we are only allowed 5 in a match day squad. Would we leave one out each week or look to terminate one of them? 

Well Holgate is getting left out if everyone is fit because Charles can play CB or midfield so is a much better sub option. 

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Well Holgate is getting left out if everyone is fit because Charles can play CB or midfield so is a much better sub option. 

Yep. I suspect Holgate may even go back to Everton. Personally, I'd like him to stay, even if he's not in the match day 20. I'd rather have all the cover we can have to help us get top 2.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. I suspect Holgate may even go back to Everton. Personally, I'd like him to stay, even if he's not in the match day 20. I'd rather have all the cover we can have to help us get top 2.

Dyche doesn’t want him back there, it was reported in autumn that Dyche told Holgate he wasn’t part of his plans (direct quote from Holgate) and Everton are fucked for money so probably need us to supplement the wage of a player who clearly isn’t going to get any game time for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

We don't even have a left footed attacker in the squad (bar SAA who is good prospect but clearly not there yet) so surely he'd be a good alternative? 

I’m thinking more about it either upsetting the current team dynamics, or causing unrest. for example Arma might well not be as effective as streight centre forward

And also for me I’d much rather have more minutes for sulemana edozie and Fraser .. I know a few on here don’t rate sula so much but he’s got a much higher ceiling then benson imo, potential is huge . But those three all fighting for LW only could mean someone gets unhappy 

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

KWP, Bree.

Manning, Meghoma.

when you set the squad out like that, its obvious why we won't be overly busy this window. The only position we don't really have two senior players is at left back, although perhaps Meghoma might be good enough? He looked decent in the cup game, although its was against poor opposition.

Can't see us returning any of the loans.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

when you set the squad out like that, its obvious why we won't be overly busy this window. The only position we don't really have two senior players is at left back, although perhaps Meghoma might be good enough? He looked decent in the cup game, although its was against poor opposition.

Can't see us returning any of the loans.

I'd like to see us go after Josh Doig at left back as real competition for Manning - but with Manning, Larios, Meghoma and Vokins all on the roster I don't see us signing anyone there. Plus Bree and KWP can both play there.

Vokins will be out of contract in the summer, and Larios won't be back for a while and Meghoma is probably too young for now so maybe we will see some movement in the summer.

Unless we send Vokins out on loan for the rest of the season and bring someone in now.

20 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I'd like to see us go after Josh Doig at left back as real competition for Manning - but with Manning, Larios, Meghoma and Vokins all on the roster I don't see us signing anyone there. Plus Bree and KWP can both play there.

Vokins will be out of contract in the summer, and Larios won't be back for a while and Meghoma is probably too young for now so maybe we will see some movement in the summer.

Unless we send Vokins out on loan for the rest of the season and bring someone in now.

Doig possibly off to Marseille (although it was reported that move was off yesterday). Perhaps we continue with Manning and then should we get promoted, we can set our sights much higher than we can right now.  

5 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

We don't even have a left footed attacker in the squad (bar SAA who is good prospect but clearly not there yet) so surely he'd be a good alternative? 

We’ve got Che Adams (whose last two goals have come from his deft left foot!), at least while he is here.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

And Small as well - Thierry Small recalled from St Mirren loan | Article | Southampton FC Official Site

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Thanks for that, but do you know if they have a recall option and if they could invoke it?

He was slagging down Eddie Howe recently. Bridges burned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

KWP, Bree.

Manning, Meghoma.

Some our young talents may still be " age-exempted " from  the 25,  and there's no certainty that all those (named above) will still be here on 31st January .

Meghoma and Edozie are still "underage " , perhaps Mara and  Alcarez, too?      Ché  Adams may still move, + plenty of media traffic on a possible KWP move to Chelsea?

Holgate may yet be recalled by Everton, or get an alternative loan elsewhere? .. .maybe we should re-visit this on 1st February? 

Think we should definitely stop talking about Danny Ings now. Washed up. And expensive. What terrible couple of moves for him. Ah well. Karma. Kind of. Be good to earth a hungry young mobile striker - perhaps from within. Hope Russell is good at bedding them in and giving them a chance at the right time. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, manji said:

He was slagging down Eddie Howe recently. Bridges burned.

Yeah, from what I can see and from what I’ve been told by a Bournemouth supporting work colleague most if not all Fraser’s perceived attitude issues have one thing in common, namely one Edward Howe.

• Like 3

The papers are reporting that Real Madrid and Barcelona are interested in spurs full back Destiny Udogie in this transfer window. Apparently Liverpool enquired first, and asked Daniel Levy, How Much is Udogie in the window.

COT have nothing on me 🙂

• Haha 27

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

The papers are reporting that Real Madrid and Barcelona are interested in spurs full back Destiny Udogie in this transfer window. Apparently Liverpool enquired first, and asked Daniel Levy, How Much is Udogie in the window.

COT have nothing on me 🙂

I heard he was going to Norwich on a free. Apparently Levy phoned up Delia and said, “I want to give you doggy,” and she misunderstood.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DT said:

Think we should definitely stop talking about Danny Ings now. Washed up. And expensive. What terrible couple of moves for him. Ah well. Karma. Kind of. Be good to earth a hungry young mobile striker - perhaps from within. Hope Russell is good at bedding them in and giving them a chance at the right time. 

Athletic said he was West Hams highest paid player. it sounds like it was a pretty sound move if he gets the wages, whether he plays or not.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Enough to be vindictive, ie recall him and let him rot? 

Maybe but I would have thought Howe had enough to worry about. Still hate Howe . Remember when their was first talk of Hassenhutl getting the sack he turned at every game at St Mary’s and made sure the press knew about it. 

4 hours ago, DT said:

Can’t argue with what you’ve said about Ings, but I still think he’d absolute tear it up if he came in on loan. He could be this promotions Billy Sharp.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

Maybe but I would have thought Howe had enough to worry about. Still hate Howe . Remember when their was first talk of Hassenhutl getting the sack he turned at every game at St Mary’s and made sure the press knew about it. 

The club had already had him lined up. An upturn in form put paid to it.

7 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

I worry if KWP goes to Chelsea as rumoured - we have no real cover for him.

If he's allowed to leave that's the end of our promotion hopes, simple as that. Would rely on James Bree staying fit for the rest of this season, he could be right back but a very different player. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

If he's allowed to leave that's the end of our promotion hopes, simple as that. Would rely on James Bree staying fit for the rest of this season, he could be right back but a very different player. 

Let's not go overboard. It would be a blow but we'd no doubt replace him with someone who can perform on the championship. Obviously not as good but it's not promotion bid over. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Someone posted a twitter post about it on here Dec 29th ish

that guys signed for Plymouth yesterday. Matthew Sorinola. Was with Martin on loan at Swansea a couple of years ago

47 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's not go overboard. It would be a blow but we'd no doubt replace him with someone who can perform on the championship. Obviously not as good but it's not promotion bid over. 

No, it’s not over, but surely SR should be strengthening now, not diluting. We are so close to automatic promotion, selling someone so pivotal to the way our system works, will only weaken us. Like Che, he is under contract, therefore SR hold the cards, the next few days will show us if Razzy was bullshitting us with his plans for an immediate premiership return.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep agreed. 

My 2 pence, for what its worth; 

If we get a bid for him anywhere near the region of £30m, he'll be off and rightly so. It'd help us no end finacially and would open the possiblity to sign a player or 2 at the buisness end of the pitch - especially if Che is off as well. 

KWP is clearly way too good for the level we're currently at. He's too good for us if we go up. IMO, he's a top 6 RB. 

Bree has been solid this season and is experienced at this level. Worse case, I'd have no problem with him slotting in. We'd need to change the way we play slightly, but I could see a world where we basically swap Bree to be a more 'defensive' / 'Narrow' full back, with Manning being the more agressive full back offering us widith. Which would actually probably suit Manning. 

As good as KWP has been and he has been brilliant, I'd be more concerned if we lost Downes. 

FWIW - I think he'll go in the summer, rather than now. 

Chelsea are a basket case of a club though. Why on earth did they let Tino leave and then why on earth did they not re-sign him in the summer... 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 5

Exactly right, all of it.

One KWP team re-jig implication of your post is that it might also open the door a little bit more for our mini KWP - Meg. He‘s being groomed for that and in the case of KWP going - and perhaps injury to either JB or RM, that may be accelerated. Silver linings etc  

I’ve never liked trying to convert tricky wingers into FB’s - only Ashley Young has done it to a high level as far as I’m aware but a wild thought 1% chance may be Sam Edozie. Despite his defensive naivety latterly he’s shown more nous ( one tracking back sliding challenge late on I recall was potentially goal saving) so wild as it may be, his trialling as a wing-back may also be enabled. He certainly has the attacking ability. 

Overall the most likely scenario were KWP sold aside from Plan A you describe above with JB  ( and apart from the obvious borrowing a Chelsea / EPL FB on 6mth loan)is the use of JS or at a push MH at RB and a greater responsibility / reliance on Charlie, Stu, Aribo, Jo , Amo and KS for offensive take-on actions. The latter two most likely. 

NB and if the new RW comes in it would help if they know how to play/ defend in a PB system. With that context it makes Benson multiple boxes ticked so one can clearly understand our strong interest. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Maybe not, he’s a great player but his purported wages and the potential transfer fee my free us up and allow more flexibility in the window.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

If avalible, i'd still much rather Diallo or Brooks over Benson. 

Apparently Diallo isn't being loaned to the Championship. Gone very quiet on Brooks. Maybe Bournemouth want to keep him. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

14 hours ago, Nolan said:

Athletic said he was West Hams highest paid player. it sounds like it was a pretty sound move if he gets the wages, whether he plays or not.

Monetarily for him yes, but he can't be too happy about how his career has nosedived and many of the fans think he is a huge waste. Stiil, pays for the new hair I guess. 

We continue to be linked with Ben Johnson of WHU, whose contract expires this summer. I think he will be our KWP replacement, whether that’s this window or most likely in the summer. 

Leeds interest in Benson is interesting. I think this is our most likely RW signing now and it would be a shame to lose out to Leeds. I’m sure Burnley would rather he went there if they are truly holding a grudge over nothing.

Brooks is apparently needed to cover for Bournemouth’s AFCON players/injuries so I don’t think this is dead, just would be a late window move if it does happen when they have options back.

Diallo would have been my first pick at RW and Carvalho for the Rothwell role. Diallo has confirmed himself it’s Sunderland only in the championship but perhaps unlikely he even makes that move. Rothwell was clearly happier with the game time limitations than Carvalho who was straight in Hulls starting 11 last time out.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

No question about that at all which is why it is very doubtful that he will leave anytime soon through choice or coercion. If ever a player was indispensable!

As Martin said recently not a single player has been beating down his door wanting out this winter. 

Very evidently KWP is loving every minute of the role he has here under Martin and the success it is bringing, he looks very settled indeed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

If avalible, i'd still much rather Diallo or Brooks over Benson. 

I’d rather just stick with Arma there and if we need to rotate use sulemana/edozie/Fraser there 

the above is a great bunch and they all need minutes. If It ain’t broke don’t try to fix it 

12 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

We continue to be linked with Ben Johnson of WHU, whose contract expires this summer. I think he will be our KWP replacement, whether that’s this window or most likely in the summer. 

Leeds interest in Benson is interesting. I think this is our most likely RW signing now and it would be a shame to lose out to Leeds. I’m sure Burnley would rather he went there if they are truly holding a grudge over nothing.

Brooks is apparently needed to cover for Bournemouth’s AFCON players/injuries so I don’t think this is dead, just would be a late window move if it does happen when they have options back.

Diallo would have been my first pick at RW and Carvalho for the Rothwell role. Diallo has confirmed himself it’s Sunderland only in the championship but perhaps unlikely he even makes that move. Rothwell was clearly happier with the game time limitations than Carvalho who was straight in Hulls starting 11 last time out.

Surely that was a load of bollox. Looked about as fake as you get.

No way is a PL player messaging random people on SnapChat saying things like that. 

2 hours ago, Saint Marky said:

the next few days will show us if Razzy was bullshitting us with his plans for an immediate premiership return.

So basically, if we sell a player in January, that means in your eyes we aren't doing everything possible to get promoted immediately?

You might have a point, but in my eyes you do still have to balance the books whilst going for it (promotion) and part of that is ensuring assets don't leave the club for free.

If we got offered £10m for Che now, that would be a hard to turn down, but if we spent all of it on a replacement (be that a loan or even part of a larger transfer fee), would that not be a sign were were still going for it whole hog?

Don't know how much accuracy there is in the latest reporting, or agents putting stories out there, but us and Leeds seem to have been linked with the same targets for a number of years now - Piroe, Benson, Johnson, Perraud, Diallo, Brooks, Paintsil, Duk, Lavia to name just a few