January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

12 hours ago, saints1988 said:

Doyle will not be the last to leave out of this batch of youngsters.

I have been told by someone who coaches within the club that youth team players that have gone through the age groups where not happy with the terms offered to the two players we got in from Tottenham recently.

For a number of years, the club has had a structure around salaries for youth players - that went out the window for the two high profile signings from Tottenham and it did not go down well.

Personally, if I had dedicated my development since an 8 year old to a certain club and had been told that we have a structure around financials to keep kids grounded and that changes to hoover up talent elsewhere, it would not sit right with me.

You mean their parents? 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Que the massive over the top media wank fest that is about to happen.

I have already dcided to avoid Sky Sports News until at least tomorrow lunchtime !

No doubt they will be live from the silent vigil outside St George's Hall in Liverpool tonight 😁

The clip they posted on X of Klopp announcing it was hilarious, it sounded like he was announcing someone had died !!

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I have already dcided to avoid Sky Sports News until at least tomorrow lunchtime !

No doubt they will be live from the silent vigil outside St George's Hall in Liverpool tonight 😁

The clip they posted on X of Klopp announcing it was hilarious, it sounded like he was announcing someone had died !!

Even Sven got a cheerier news thread and he actually is.

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

After brooks performance against Swansea it proves at championship level it would be a cheat code.

If Saints bring him in, then he starts every game at RW and  Arma provably goes up top. 

If Saints manage to bring in Benson, then Arma stays wide right. That's the difference. 

The only problem with that is we are getting the best out of Adam Armstrong as a wide forward playing off the right - with KWP providing the width and attacking threat as a very attacking full back/wingback.

I think/hope we are looking for cover at right wing because if KWP gets injured and Bree or Holgate step in a right back we lose some of that attacking momentum down the right and probably need to play a more out and out winger than Armstrong in this situations.

I hope its not so that we can move Armstrong to centre forward.

Personally I think we need a centre forward more than anything with Stewart out injured - and that's even if we don't sell Adams.  Adams and Armstrong are both second strikers - all be it very different types.  Both player better off a centre forward.  Mara is probably better as a second striker/wide forward as well in this league.  

So I'd like to see us take a gamble on Mioviski from Aberdeen.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rebel said:

The only problem with that is we are getting the best out of Adam Armstrong as a wide forward playing off the right - with KWP providing the width and attacking threat as a very attacking full back/wingback.

I think/hope we are looking for cover at right wing because if KWP gets injured and Bree or Holgate step in a right back we lose some of that attacking momentum down the right and probably need to play a more out and out winger than Armstrong in this situations.

I hope its not so that we can move Armstrong to centre forward.

Personally I think we need a centre forward more than anything with Stewart out injured - and that's even if we don't sell Adams.  Adams and Armstrong are both second strikers - all be it very different types.  Both player better off a centre forward.  Mara is probably better as a second striker/wide forward as well in this league.  

So I'd like to see us take a gamble on Mioviski from Aberdeen.

I think we're only in the market for loans, not sure we have the ability to make any $$ signings at the mo.

I do agree that a centre forward is a gap we have, but we do also have a gap for a really quick wide man from the right hand side. Edozie, Fraser, Sulemana are all much much more effective from the left rather than the right - so I can see why we want an out and out right wide player, they may not play every single minute but it'll give us more options. If we then have to shift Armstrong up top we can without nullifying our right side, ditto we could lose KWP to injury and still retain an attacking threat on the right.

Most of our attacks come via KWP as a 'wide' player, Armstrong often drops inside to allow him to bomb forward. Maybe we're looking at ways where we don't rely on KWP as much as we do. I think we'd lose a hell of a lot in an attacking sense if he wasn't available, probably most of our threat tbh.

• Like 1

I could see us not getting a RW if we can’t assure them that they will be starting. Likely the same reason we didn’t get Carvalho for his position. I’d rather sit on a PL bench than a champ one.

If we had a chance to get Brooks though, you’d have to start him. I could see Arma ending up at CF then but not sure how well that would work. He does work hard off the ball and leads the press but zero hold up/aerial threat. Best finisher at the club, top scorer and assister. Has to play, is moving him central self harming?

• Like 1

I said previously that I thought there was no chance Bournemouth would let Brooks leave (he's always in match day squads and often comes on), and I still think that will be the case, however he certainly seems very keen just to play, wherever that might be:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68102324

Perfect player for us. Great touch and vision. Get him in on loan, make him a Saint, help us go up and then twist Bournemouth's arm to sell in the summer. If they do loan him, I'd of thought that means his time is up down there. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I could see us not getting a RW if we can’t assure them that they will be starting. Likely the same reason we didn’t get Carvalho for his position. I’d rather sit on a PL bench than a champ one.

If we had a chance to get Brooks though, you’d have to start him. I could see Arma ending up at CF then but not sure how well that would work. He does work hard off the ball and leads the press but zero hold up/aerial threat. Best finisher at the club, top scorer and assister. Has to play, is moving him central self harming?

He might get injured. If that happens, do we have a replacement that is going to help us win every game from here on in?  AA has done well, and we don't want to ruin the balance of the side, but strenghtening when you are already strong is no bad thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we're only in the market for loans, not sure we have the ability to make any $$ signings at the mo.

Loans also suit from a league transition point of view.

As great a move it was to buy Billy Sharp (and there is an argument that he should have got a proper chance to play in the Prem for us), his face didn't fit once we went up and the £2m or whatever it was, was never recouped, as a transfer fee anyway.

If we go up, it will be nice to have a few `empty squad places' that we can fill with genuine Prem quality players and not just the `inbetween (prem and championship) guys like Rothwell, Fraser...

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Que the massive over the top media wank fest that is about to happen.

So what's the correct protocol for this?

How many days of national mourning will there be?

Do we wear black armbands when out in public?

So many questions right now...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I think we need to wait for the results of the inevitable public enquiry before deciding on the protocols.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I think its a matter of personal choice,  I personally will spend 7 days at the wailing wall, mostly wailing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I do agree that a centre forward is a gap we have, but we do also have a gap for a really quick wide man from the right hand side. Edozie, Fraser, Sulemana are all much much more effective from the left rather than the right - so I can see why we want an out and out right wide player, they may not play every single minute but it'll give us more options. If we then have to shift Armstrong up top we can without nullifying our right side, ditto we could lose KWP to injury and still retain an attacking threat on the right.

Most of our attacks come via KWP as a 'wide' player, Armstrong often drops inside to allow him to bomb forward. Maybe we're looking at ways where we don't rely on KWP as much as we do. I think we'd lose a hell of a lot in an attacking sense if he wasn't available, probably most of our threat tbh.

Not sure money is that much of a problem Mowbray has been scouting non stop. If we have a target that we have been analysing. We would go for it. I’ve have no doubt we have a hit list for now and already in the summer.

• Like 2

Capology estimates salaries for four loan ( or with O’Hare / Abada loan or buy) players linked with Saints as follows: 

D. Brookes £50k pw 26 yes old. 

M. Benson : £25k pw 25 yes old 

C. O’Hare : £10k pw 25 yes old 

L Abada : £16.5k pw 22yrs old 

Who represents best value £4£? Why? Who would contribute the most to promotion in the last 19 games? Integrate into starting first team quickest? 

For me the answer is Brookes but I cannot help feeling the market has fully priced him in- whereas players like Abada and O’Hare may be on the cusp of breakthroughs and represent better value. Both Brookes and O’Hare I feel would hit our first team running - Abada would need time.

Manual Benson is just a mystery to me- I keep asking myself why don’t Burnley, a team struggling to score, at bottom of league, not want him- if he’s really that decent? What’s the problem? 

28 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Capology estimates salaries for four loan ( or with O’Hare / Abada loan or buy) players linked with Saints as follows: 

D. Brookes £50k pw 26 yes old. 

M. Benson : £25k pw 25 yes old 

C. O’Hare : £10k pw 25 yes old 

L Abada : £16.5k pw 22yrs old 

Who represents best value £4£? Why? Who would contribute the most to promotion in the last 19 games? Integrate into starting first team quickest? 

For me the answer is Brookes but I cannot help feeling the market has fully priced him in- whereas players like Abada and O’Hare may be on the cusp of breakthroughs and represent better value. Both Brookes and O’Hare I feel would hit our first team running - Abada would need time.

Manual Benson is just a mystery to me- I keep asking myself why don’t Burnley, a team struggling to score, at bottom of league, not want him- if he’s really that decent? What’s the problem? 

Perfect summary for me. Particularly re Benson 

Benson started just the 14 matches for Burnley last season too. He was Tella's backup. A short term loan option for off the bench could work for us, but I don't think anything for the long-term would be too beneficial, which is possibly what Burnley are looking for, a loan with a buy option included. He's 26 too, so not particularly young and probably already reached his level.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

He might get injured. If that happens, do we have a replacement that is going to help us win every game from here on in?  AA has done well, and we don't want to ruin the balance of the side, but strenghtening when you are already strong is no bad thing.

Surely one of Fraser sulemana edozie could fill in I think it’s a myth all of them need to play on the left . Sulemana best goal in the french league came from him cutting in from the right.

its gonna be a tricky job trying to keep all of those happy as it is then you got diblng and saa behind them..

our depth is crazy good atm who would have thought at start of the season the likes of alcaraz or sulemana might not be making the first eleven ?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2141184255bc661c588c8095268709cc.jpeg

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Probably their best player this season and certainly most consistent. Big loss for them even if they get good money.

Another midfielder in front of Kami Doyle too. Just saying...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Either he's forcing his way out or Leicester are desperate for the money.  Seems nuts to sell him in the middle of the season when promotion is not assured

They are skint as, and haven't been able to shift any other players.

Bit like JWP too, he's on massive wages also. 

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Surely one of Fraser sulemana edozie could fill in I think it’s a myth all of them need to play on the left . Sulemana best goal in the french league came from him cutting in from the right.

its gonna be a tricky job trying to keep all of those happy as it is then you got diblng and saa behind them..

our depth is crazy good atm who would have thought at start of the season the likes of alcaraz or sulemana might not be making the first eleven ?

if any of those are effective on the right, sure, there is no real need to bring anyone in.

When it comes to keeping players happy, I'm not overly worried. It's a dog eat dog world. Play well and they get the shirt.

8 hours ago, Chez said:

I said previously that I thought there was no chance Bournemouth would let Brooks leave (he's always in match day squads and often comes on), and I still think that will be the case, however he certainly seems very keen just to play, wherever that might be:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68102324

Perfect player for us. Great touch and vision. Get him in on loan, make him a Saint, help us go up and then twist Bournemouth's arm to sell in the summer. If they do loan him, I'd of thought that means his time is up down there. 

We're a substantial upgrade on Bmth so could be a chance he would come.

South London Press reporting that we've spoken to Palace about loaning Jesurun Rak-Sakyi - yes please.

Palace will only sanction a move if they get a player in themselves.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

South London Press reporting that we've spoken to Palace about loaning Jesurun Rak-Sakyi - yes please.

a "yes please" from me too. He was very impressive at Charlton last season.

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Interesting. I know nothing about the kid. Anyone know what he can bring to the right wing that SAA/Fraser/AA  can't? Strikes me as a bit of an odd move. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Interesting. I know nothing about the kid. Anyone know what he can bring to the right wing that SAA/Fraser/AA  can't? Strikes me as a bit of an odd move. 

Fraser has played almost exclusively from the left, ditto Edozie and Sulemana.

SAA is a kid who is learning but probably not ready to be expected to have a genuine impact yet.

AA might be needed to play centrally were Adams to get injured or leave and we have lots of games.

Rak-Sakyi plays off the right, scored 15 for Charlton last season and won their POTS and is highly rated at Palace with PL apps this season and nearly joined Leicester in the summer on loan but then Zaha left.

We obviously want a right sided player as all our genuine wide players play off the left and he would be a good option IMO.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Brilliant feet, takes players on and makes things happen. Proper twinkle toes, two footed and with plenty of pace. You will love watching him play. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Palace fan at work was raving about him last summer and hoping this would be a breakout season in the first team for him.  I've never seen him play so can't really comment but sounds like they expect big things from him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Fraser has played almost exclusively from the left, ditto Edozie and Sulemana.

SAA is a kid who is learning but probably not ready to be expected to have a genuine impact yet.

AA might be needed to play centrally were Adams to get injured or leave and we have lots of games.

Rak-Sakyi plays off the right, scored 15 for Charlton last season and won their POTS and is highly rated at Palace with PL apps this season and nearly joined Leicester in the summer on loan but then Zaha left.

We obviously want a right sided player as all our genuine wide players play off the left and he would be a good option IMO.

If he didn't get a bad hamstring injury I think he'd of played more this season for Palace. 

I saw him at fratton park last season. He scored a lovely goal, showing great composure to come back on to his weaker foot and curl one into the far corner. 

He's tall and thin, but stronger than Edozie and he could be the next Zaha. I think he has a far higher ceiling than Benson for example. The only issue is we might fall in love with him but not be able to sign him in the summer.