Saints 2-0 Cardiff City - Match Thread

waylander

Really looking forward to the presser for this game, where the titan of sports journalism tells professional football manager his opinion of the game ahead, followed by the hours of fun on here where every word spoken and body language signals are remorselessly picked apart.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Really looking forward to the presser for this game, where the titan of sports journalism tells professional football manager his opinion of the game ahead, followed by the hours of fun on here where every word spoken and body language signals are remorselessly picked apart.

Yeah... those pesky kids on the internet commenting on what they see and hear... you'd never get that back in my day! They don't know they're born! #imbeciles #dontmentionthewar

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Thanks Rusty.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I’m looking forward to it, Cardiff have a very noisy support which should help the game and atmosphere. 

They're usually pretty good when they've come to St Mary's (big day out 😉) and would think they'll be up for it tomorrow, particularly as there will be an ex-Swan in the home dugout. But (no different to us and plenty more) they're also lamenting their own home support these days.

Got to fancy us but may not be particularly pretty to watch again.

Side note; FA Cup third round draw on Monday, we're number 36, the skates are............oh..........

• Like 2

A win should be the order of the day, but like RM’s usual halftime talks we’ll be jaded from Wednesdays game and start this slow and lethargic leading to going behind. We’ll huff and puff and might get a consolidation goal near the end for a 1-1 draw.

Or Cardiff are pretty rubbish, setup to stop us playing through them and we’ll win with a solitary goal from an individual instance of brilliance. Who the hell knows…this is a Saints team on a record unbeaten run born out of some jammy results.

I want to see Bree back a starter. I don’t want Adams anywhere other than on the bench. Stu Armstrong pushing forward to bring in Smallbone into CM and giving Alcarez the chance to create.

I suspect what we’ll see is fanboy Manning retain his place. Smallbone replace Sully who could be injured. And Adams keep his place so he can be in the shop window for January.

• Like 1

Cardiff pre-match Presser.....

• Ross and Sully out for quite a while
  • Hugely disappointed for Ross, he worked so hard to be fit. He landed awkwardly against huddersfield
  • he wont be back this side of xmas, all being well, mid/late Jan - heartbroken for him
  • not the same injury. We have not rushed him, he has been desperate to play but really unfortunate
  • Sully felt his hamstring the other night ,but will be out for a similar timeline to Ross
  • This is an opportunity for others, with a lot of games coming up
  • We have been clear within the group about Jan, depending on finance
  • unsure if their injuries will define Jan window, results and their progress will shape Jan
  • We have options on the bench, time for others to step up and take the chances
  • Cardiff will be aggressive and physical, their manager has stamped his authority on the team
  • They have recruited well, and been good. They are a powerful team
  • Will be a test and a challenge. 3rd game in the week and we look forward to it
  • I am more happy for the players to be on this unbeaten run, they deserve so much praise and credit
  • the energy has changed with the fans at home, that is amazing
  • you have to accept many times that I cannot be totally satisfied or happy
  • you have to work out the next problem, work out solutions, it does not let you sleep as the mind is working overtime
  • we are here to win, and the way we play is how we believe will get us more wins
  • we want more, the team has so much more to give, I am happy with the club, but cannot be happy for too long as we want more
  • It can be lonely job at times, I have amazing people around me, it is an amazing privilege. 
  • I am happy for the run we are on, but we want more
  • In 4 years as a manager, we talk about balance and self-care. I stick to strict routines
  • I focus on my kids and family when home, but this job is never not in your mind
  • I really want to help others, support others, empower others. I work hard, get ill for 2 days, and go again
  • I am all in. I love it, but currently eating too much bread and need to cut that out
  • As a leader you are always judged on your energy and authenticity
  • we go again, we tell the players, I even argued with Adam on the Radio and need to improve on this
  • at times, the energy you give come at a cost, but we we love it, and we have lots of good people here
  • Like 12

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

• Hugely disappointed for Ross, he worked so hard to be fit. He landed awkwardly against huddersfield
  • he wont be back this side of xmas, all being well, mid/late Jan - heartbroken for him
  • not the same injury. We have not rushed him, he has been desperate to play but really unfortunate
  • Sully felt his hamstring the other night ,but will be out for a similar timeline to Ross
  • unsure if their injuries will define Jan window, results and their progress will shape Jan
  • Cardiff will be aggressive and physical, their manager has stamped his authority on the team
  • Will be a test and a challenge. 3rd game in the week and we look forward to it
  • I am more happy for the players to be on this unbeaten run, they deserve so much praise and credit
  • you have to work out the next problem, work out solutions, it does not let you sleep as the mind is working overtime
  • we are here to win, and the way we play is how we believe will get us more wins
  • we want more, the team has so much more to give, I am happy with the club, but cannot be happy for too long as we want more
  • It can be lonely job at times, I have amazing people around me, it is an amazing privilege. 
  • In 4 years as a manager, we talk about balance and self-care. I stick to strict routines
  • I focus on my kids and family when home, but this job is never not in your mind
  • I really want to help others, support others, empower others. I work hard, get ill for 2 days, and go again
  • I am all in. I love it, but currently eating too much bread and need to cut that out
  • we go again, we tell the players, I even argued with Adam on the Radio and need to improve on this
  • at times, the energy you give come at a cost, but we we love it, and we have lots of good people here

So in summary, he was grumpy with Blackmore because he was full on bread?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I’m looking forward to it, Cardiff have a very noisy support which should help the game and atmosphere. 

They do , they've sold out the full allocation a few weeks back I believe so should be good. 

Plenty of home end seats on sale still,  despite the good form, looks like should still get about 29k 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yeesh.. was he lying down on a couch during the presser/press conference?

1 hour ago, JRM said:

They do , they've sold out the full allocation a few weeks back I believe so should be good. 

Plenty of home end seats on sale still,  despite the good form, looks like should still get about 29k 

Maybe the first team to noticeably have away fans in the home ends this season.

Surprised we haven't sold this one out but I guess there's a lot of games coming up so those who pay per game may be put off by having to fork out so much in a month.

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Alex's summaries of the pressers are fantastic. Well done and please continue them. 👏👏👏

• Like 6

17 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is not an easy game as we are not allowed to win more than one goal as a rule by RM. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Cat said:

Maybe the first team to noticeably have away fans in the home ends this season.

Surprised we haven't sold this one out but I guess there's a lot of games coming up so those who pay per game may be put off by having to fork out so much in a month.

Yeah 5 home games in a month bit much for pay as you go fans, would imagine we'll sell out both home games in Christmas week, they're always popular. 

Hopefully our stewards have learnt some Welsh to be able to assist the away fans. 

59 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Set pieces could be fun today. They love a set piece goal, we don't win many headers.

I'd love a set piece goal too - about time the set piece coach earned his corn.

Advantage of having a quality squad with a lot of depth is that when someone's injured, there's a reasonable replacement. Chance for Edozie to shine. Also think those sightings of the Loch Ness Drogba were false. In fact, there's probably more evidence that the real Loch Ness monster exists!

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Spent the morning rummaging through the ski gear for extra layers for this one. Still, it's not going to get close to Leeds away in 2009 levels of cold. 

I think I can speak for all Saintsweb members when I say we'd have preferred you to have spent your morning rummaging around the forum correcting typos in thread titles.

• Haha 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Cardiff City 2 dec 15.00
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Cardiff City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic