Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

The Cat

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Don't talk rubbish we were all over them all match. They deserved nothing. Time we cleared out the old lags like AA, CA, SA and started afresh with some decent players who know how to score goals. Our front line is garbage and costing us dearly.

I think you probably need a different AA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

26 minutes ago, Jack said:

Probably a fair result. We haven’t created enough decent chances. Frustrating to get done by a long ball after defending pretty well. 

Thing that pisses me off is we turn down the chance to break so often in favour of going backwards and sideways. One of the few times we got forward quickly today we scored. So often pick the wrong pass 

We play out bravely from the back and take chances. What a shame that when we get the ball forward all that bravery and risk taking vanishes. It makes no sense to me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

That cr@p September makes the difference. I firmly believe it's given us too much to do.

Fingers crossed for a trip to Wembley.

Probably the most we can realistically hope for. I think Ipswich and Leeds will keep churning results never mind Leicester. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, saintant said:

We play out bravely from the back and take chances. What a shame that when we get the ball forward all that bravery and risk taking vanishes. It makes no sense to me.

This is it for me. What's the point in risking it near to your own goal but no near the opponents when technically it would be safer to do so? 

Obviously I don't want us to just give the ball away easily in the final third by trying Hollywood passes all the time but it would be nice if we mixed it up, played on the counter a little away from home when 1-0 up and we have the players on the pitch to do so.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Not saying it has but the point was that 1 goal is NEVER enough. It's been enough a few times this season...

Well, yes, that's the point...

Sometimes playing for a single goal victory will result in a victory, and sometimes it won't... (Hold the front page...!)

I think the point people are highlighting is that if you aim for more than a single goal victory (a la Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds) then you end up winning even more... 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, manji said:

Spot on. How the fuck can fans write the season off is beyond me. 

It’s not writing off the season, it’s the reality that we are starting to fall away and the three in front of us seem to keep winning. How can Bazuna save a worldy and in the same match let that pea roller in, so frustrating as he was having a blinder, now his confidence will be shot again. I know there are many matches to go, but we’ve got to put these matches to bed, we are playing well now, always looking the much better team, but never kill a game. Unless we get a January signing, or Ross starts firing when and if he is fit, then we need the others to have bad patches of form, let’s not let it go to the lottery of the play offs.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Not so much writing it off, just being realistic really. We're on one of our best runs in over 10 years and we're still 10 points off of 2nd. (11 if you include GD)

We're going to hit a patch where we lose a few games before long, and that 10 points off will stretch to 15 and upwards. People may be correct in that Ipswich will have a wobble, but for me Leeds are best placed to pounce on that - we'd have to overcome them as well. It's a tough ask and I think it's just realistic to assume playoffs. It's not really acceptable with our squad mind, but that's what we've got to deal with.

Not acceptable is a little harsh really.. really we are just paying for that blip at the start of the season when we lost 4 

our current form is still superb 12 matches unbeaten the top 4 are being amazingly consistent it feels a bit like what have we got to do to catch up atm .. as long as we  in this consistent run of form it’s hard to be mad at them 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

She made a trip to Serbia using the M3?

And there I was thinking it ran out just before Twickenham. 

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Perhaps it was Suburbia 

9 hours ago, austsaint said:

I'm surprised she's returned.

Fucking nonentity cunt austsaint. Try saying that to my face in person you spineless piece of cyber warrior shit. 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

A quick look...

If, over the last 10 years 89 points has been enough on average to get 2nd.

Leicester would have to fall apart from 2.51 pts per game to 1.54 to just get that.

Ipswich would have to drop from 2.4 to 1.58 to get there.

And, to make it even tougher, Leeds would also have to dip from 2.05 to 1.85 per game to get that.

In 4th, unbeaten in ages, and second in the form league in the last 12, we still need an improvement from 1.9 to 1.96 to get that. Not a huge amount, and reasonably what you'd expect a developing system/ side, with our resources, to be well able to do.

Except that total might not be enough this year, unless there's quite a bit of dipping form elsewhere. Lots of games to go, a busy fixture list that will strain resources and squads.

Strange game, very disappointing to concede 90+6.  

Watford have to be the quietest home fans I've ever come across. Hear more noise at u9s games. 

Most controversial moment was away end kiosk running out of most hot food before half time, lots or hangry supporters wanting a pie. 

Think automatic promotion is gone for us , what's up with Flynn Downes? Need him on Wednesday. 

Edited by JRM

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't particularly think it matters who we have up front, if we spend 80% of the game passing between our CB's and our midfielders in the oppositions half then we're not going to score many goals.

Absolutely hits the mail on the head

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Strange game, very disappointing to concede 90+6.  

Watford have to be the quietest home fans I've ever come across. Hear more noise at u9s games. 

Most controversial moment was away end kiosk running out of most hot food before half time, lots or hangry supporters wanting a pie. 

Think automatic promotion is gone for us , what's up with Flynn Downes? Need him on Wednesday. 

What was probably more controversial was all the Watford fans getting riled up because kitsman Forbe and a few others were sat in the home end next to the dugout cos there was so space for them on the touchline. 

When Aribo was stretching his legs, and whilst Stu was taking forever to come off, loads of Watford fans were starting to get up from their seats and shouting “Russell you’re a ****ing cheating **nt” and a load of stewards had to stand by the dug out.

Russell was giving it back to some of em too, so it hurt even more to see those Watford fans vindicated when they scored by saying “Southampton would have won had they not been managed by a shithouse”.

19 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Not acceptable is a little harsh really.. really we are just paying for that blip at the start of the season when we lost 4 

our current form is still superb 12 matches unbeaten the top 4 are being amazingly consistent it feels a bit like what have we got to do to catch up atm .. as long as we  in this consistent run of form it’s hard to be mad at them 

That blip required a major reset. We tightened the defence and the midfield gained more spine and now we're in a better position. Problem is, our league is looking like the premiership where the gulf in the quality of teams is enormous.

You know when commentators say in matches "No need to change what they're doing, there's plenty of time left...." There's quite a few comments on the forum saying it's a 46 match season, the other teams will have blips. Well, we're practically half way through and the teams ahead haven't yet had blips and we're just as likely to have them as they are. Those play-offs are looking more and more likely.

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

What was probably more controversial was all the Watford fans getting riled up because kitsman Forbe and a few others were sat in the home end next to the dugout cos there was so space for them on the touchline. 

When Aribo was stretching his legs, and whilst Stu was taking forever to come off, loads of Watford fans were starting to get up from their seats and shouting “Russell you’re a ****ing cheating **nt” and a load of stewards had to stand by the dug out.

Russell was giving it back to some of em too, so it hurt even more to see those Watford fans vindicated when they scored by saying “Southampton would have won had they not been managed by a shithouse”.

Cheats? They were the team who didn't give us the ball back when we kicked it out for an injury.

Their fans were utterly shit. Weird that the only ones singing (which was barely ever) are right over in the corner of the stand, stuck over in that one small block. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Marky said:

It’s not writing off the season, it’s the reality that we are starting to fall away and the three in front of us seem to keep winning. How can Bazuna save a worldy and in the same match let that pea roller in, so frustrating as he was having a blinder, now his confidence will be shot again. I know there are many matches to go, but we’ve got to put these matches to bed, we are playing well now, always looking the much better team, but never kill a game. Unless we get a January signing, or Ross starts firing when and if he is fit, then we need the others to have bad patches of form, let’s not let it go to the lottery of the play offs.

We are not starting to fall away, over last 6 games we have gained points on the top two.(4 on Leicester, one on ipswich). 

We are on a very good run, no-one is unbeaten for as long as us, or had more points than us since we started that run 12 games ago. 

We have two problems, which make automatic promotion hard, but not yet impossible, 

1) our poor start 

2) the freakish season with 4 teams doing great

• Like 2

Haven’t read through all the comments. But I thought we were drab and dull today. Always looking to go sideways and backwards. No wonder that guy nodded off at the WBA game. Home crowd were pretty much silent until we started time wasting which served 2 things: 1. Home crowd got riled up and excited 2. 8 mins of injury time, otherwise it would have probably been nearer 4

both contributed to the equaliser which Gavin really should have saved anyway

• Like 2

My take

- in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. We're not top 2, should be OK for top 6.

- Hard on Baz, had a great game up until then. Not his fault, if we were good enough for top 2, we'd have been out of sight by then. 

- For the second season ina row (probably 3rd) lack of quality strikers and attacking play is a root cause.

- Overall a draw was a fair result, no matter how painful it felt.

- I thought our time wasting was a bit juvenile. Should have just played the game.

- Never seen such poor home support! 

- Wembley in May hopefully! Need to keep an eye over the shoulder. We have to go away to 4 of the top 6. Performances on the road aren't great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

My take

- in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. We're not top 2, should be OK for top 6.

- Hard on Baz, had a great game up until then. Not his fault, if we were good enough for top 2, we'd have been out of sight by then. 

- For the second season ina row (probably 3rd) lack of quality strikers and attacking play is a root cause.

- Overall a draw was a fair result, no matter how painful it felt.

- I thought our time wasting was a bit juvenile. Should have just played the game.

- Never seen such poor home support! 

- Wembley in May hopefully! Need to keep an eye over the shoulder. We have to go away to 4 of the top 6. Performances on the road aren't great.

Sad thing is, from the top of the PL to the bottom of the Sunday League, that's the norm these days.

If it turned out that every club had one training session a week dedicated to diving, time wasting and generally conning the referee, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.

• Like 1

If problems manifest themselves as draws, just before the transfer window opens, that's fine with me.

We have the longest unbeaten run in the English League, that's not fluke.

We are still picking up points week after week.

We are doing very well in an abnormal championship season where there are four contenders in the mix.

We will still be in the mix in May.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

Uninspiring game. Too slow getting it forward. Thought we’d limp on to win 1-0 today, which we could put down to “still getting the win even when the performance is poor” but Mara for Che and it all went downhill. Che’s contribution was good enough and was holding the ball up well right up until being taken off. It felt like a bad change at the time.. but it always feels that way when Mara comes on. This one is down to RM’s choices - Not Bazunu or Bednarek cock-ups, they both made significant contributions during the game that kept us in it.

We just don’t score enough to play Russball.

• Like 3

Disappointing outcome, although a draw on paper before the game wouldn't have been a terrible result.

We'll definitely get play-offs and maybe being this far behind won't be a bad thing psychologically come the end of the season, instead of Ipswich or Leeds who just miss out on automatics by a point or two and can't recover mentally. If we come in a solid 4th, I back us to win the play-offs.

Yes I have had a drink.

Edited by Pamplemousse

1 hour ago, West end Saints said:

We are not starting to fall away, over last 6 games we have gained points on the top two.(4 on Leicester, one on ipswich). 

We are on a very good run, no-one is unbeaten for as long as us, or had more points than us since we started that run 12 games ago. 

We have two problems, which make automatic promotion hard, but not yet impossible, 

1) our poor start 

3) lack of goals

So if we are drawing going into injury time we win, if we are winning by 1 going into injury time we draw. There is a mentality thing going on here. Or are the tactics wrong when we are only 1 up? If we killed games off where we should be (not today), like Bristol City, then we would not go into injury time needing a winner of hanging on. 

I fear that it will be these kind of matches today, Huddersfield and Rotherham where we will miss out on the autos. There is something that is just not clicking into place. But still 12 games without a defeat, what’s our record? 

I can't remember our time wasting being that bad, the only thing of note was SA taking the long way off, but Watford wasting more time trying to push him off the other way. 

For all of KWP brilliance he didn't pick out a man enough when crossing today, if he gets one of those chances right, we win the match.

13 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

So if we are drawing going into injury time we win, if we are winning by 1 going into injury time we draw. There is a mentality thing going on here. Or are the tactics wrong when we are only 1 up? If we killed games off where we should be (not today), like Bristol City, then we would not go into injury time needing a winner of hanging on. 

I fear that it will be these kind of matches today, Huddersfield and Rotherham where we will miss out on the autos. There is something that is just not clicking into place. But still 12 games without a defeat, what’s our record? 

I don't think the tactics were off tbh. Watford didn't put us under that much pressure. It was a long ball that we should have dealt with, and a routine shot Bazunu should have saved.

47 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

GB beaten to his left again, and for me anyway quite a soft one he should have stopped. I really do think he is significantly weaker on that side.

He definitely is. Seems to pull off some worldy saves to his right, but lets in ones he shouldn't to his left. 

After watching MOTD, i am not too fussed if we don't make promotion

Might be the beer talking but after witnessing VAR in the first 3 games, they can shove it ... Bmth's '4th' goal, Arsenal's 'equaliser', Palace's 'penalty'.

I love these days where i can celebrate a goal - the Premiership is a just a money cesspit!!

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

I mean I appreciate the manner of it was annoying but am I the only one happy with an away draw against a tough side? 

4 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

I mean I appreciate the manner of it was annoying but am I the only one happy with an away draw against a tough side? 

Yes?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Edmonton Saint said:

The Russell Martin way. Despite 12 unbeaten or whatever it is, I struggle to remember a game we’ve actually dominated and created lots of chances and clearly shown we’re the better team. Winning the possession stat won’t ultimately get us enough points for automatic promotion.

Last weekend v Cardiff was pretty much all Saints.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, West end Saints said:

1) our poor start 

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

3) lack of goals

3 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

3) We don't have a striker

4) ....

3 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

4) Russball which seems to mean we don't create enough chances from possession due to recycling the ball in attacking positions rather than taking a risk in the final third.

Obviously more goals would have meant more points, but the point I was trying to make (in response to someone saying we were dropping off) is that you are not doing much wrong, or need to change a lot if our results are recently the best in the division, which they have been since 23rd September when we last lost.

But yes, a free scoring centre forward, or Charlie / Stu would have gained more points to help recover from that bad spell, but the key thing is that spell is the problem, not so much where we are now. 

It's going to depend on how consistent teams can continue to be through the winter, with injuries etc. 

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, warsash saint said:

After watching MOTD, i am not too fussed if we don't make promotion

Might be the beer talking but after witnessing VAR in the first 3 games, they can shove it ... Bmth's '4th' goal, Arsenal's 'equaliser', Palace's 'penalty'.

I love these days where i can celebrate a goal - the Premiership is a just a money cesspit!!

2nd place and up into that corrupt cuntfest of a league to be spanked most weeks would be absolute wank. Now Saints probably cant win the Championship I want them to go up by winning the play offs or not at all. I am sick to fuck of Saints being the bridesmaid and having no trophies.

While I’m on one, Pochettino, Koeman and Puel were cunts not taking the cups/Europe seriously enough as that was our best chance since the mid 80’s (when the scousers fucked it up) to actually win something..

Better to wallow in the lower leagues without the tourist fans and Liverpool/Man U/Newcastle fans in the home ends, and have a higher win percentage per season, if we can’t go up by winning a fucking trophy 

• Like 1