Coventry 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Jack

Just now, BotleySaint said:

See, that ball into Sims feet there. Why aren't we trying to weave passes through like that? We just bump it around back and forth back and forth and trying cross - inevitable hitting the defender.

Because their back line is often very close to their goal?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Our style of football is crap. 

The manager is crap

Whilst we look neat and tidy and dominate possession we lack a cutting edge and are ultimately fucking boring to watch.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 7

Just now, Block41 Saint said:

All that possession and they have the best chance of the half. This style of football is crap.

I don't hate it, it's neat and tidy but it lacks incisiveness and we look iffy against the counter attack. With better players this system would look great. We clearly need a good striker in and if that is not Ross due to fitness then someone else needs to be brought in in January. Continue with Adams and Mara as the only non-AA options (who is better out wider anyway) and we will not go up.

• Like 1

Very dull to watch. We don’t move them around or draw players out of position. Everything is pedestrian. The one high point was the well worked corner for the Armstrong chance. Otherwise, uninspiring.

Get Stuey and Aribo off, get Charlie and Edozie on. Would be great to see a player actually take somebody on and break the lines rather than a pass back to a CB. 

This team would win every game in the old man's walking version. Unfortunately at pro level you need to run around a bit, run off the ball, find space, get between the lines and all that clever stuff that slices open the opposition and creates chances. I despair at the lack of collective brain power among our coaches and players. 45 minutes of Strachan's best propaganda football and it's as boring as fuck. All that possession and one mistake from Bednarek and we're almost behind at half time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Borefest. Clueless midfield creating nothing. Armstrong and Aribo have done b*gger all. Shake it up Martin or we will be sleepwalking to defeat as Coventry are bound to score one from a defensive error. Mara on, Adams off- what's to lose?

Would rather see Dibling get a chance. 

• Like 3

Just now, bangkoksaint said:

I’ve seen enough of us this season to know we’re never finishing top two and I honestly think under RM we’re not going up. We’re so so predictable, lack penetration and always likely to concede.

My wife constantly tells me I’m so predictable and lack penetration.

Not that bad a performance so far against another form side. Same issue as often since October - better at the back, midfield decent but totally reliant on AA for movement and threat.

I know he scored Saturday but Che needs to move on for everyone’s sake next month, just not at the races. We need two first choice strikers coming in to sort out August’s balls up with Stewart, one of them on loan with Holgate returning to Everton and Stephens recovered. One of them better at hold up and the other off the shoulder and quick, we need to mix it up more. Stewart is a bust for most of this season at least, use him as an impact sub at best if he doesn’t break again after Feb. 

So boring, frustrating and unsatisfactory.  Slow, ponderous build-up play that almost guarantees 10 Coventry players behind the ball waiting for us to recycle the ball back into our half again and again.  Possession for the sake of it and no goal threat whatsoever, except at the wrong end, where Manning leaves acres of space for the opposition to run into.  When are we ever going to run at the opposition and make swift incisive passes to forwards running into spaces?  If we continue playing like this we shall not get promoted in a million years.

• Like 2

Not sure Coventry are playing in this game. It's basically attack verses defence. Our attack is so samey though. I can see Adams and AA making runs on the shoulder of defenders, but they are never found, ever. We never look to play that pass. 

Only other thing I noticed was that Charles plays it backwards too much. There are times when he could turn, but it's his first instinct. 

Hopefully we can find a route through them, but as usual it's going to be tight and we will be vulnerable on the break. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He's not crap but his style definitely is safe and does safe football get you promoted? 

Too safe.    Teams know what to expect from us and set up accordingly.    Both Charles and Smallbone responsible for too many slow, sideways and backward, nothing passes.   The Coventry counter attacks look more likely to open us up than anything we've produced with all that possession.   Airibo has been a creative player, AA with three half chances and once again Manning has looked better.

Have to say am surprised by the negativity on here ce soir. The bits I paid attention too as I was scrolling through aesthetically pleasing ladies on Instagram just showed us rolling forward chance after chance.

Of course our conversion rate means we'd fall in a bucketful of tits and come out sucking our thumbs.

Apologies ladies but this idiom and my Instagram viewing played a part.

• Haha 4

I shall miss this garden of tranquility.

It's still air, making each perfect sound clear and focused.

The sound of falling water droplets from the fountain

Ripples reaching outwards

The sound of feet on footballs

Passing, passing, passing

Chances few, but meticulously crafted.

Our path leads from zen calmness

Towards something that will get us a goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coventry vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Coventry 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D unpinned this topic