Carlos Alcaraz

Master Bates

He's up and down but I love that he's brave. We have too many meh "attackers" but he makes good runs and doesn't mind taking a shot.

The finish Saturday was actually harder than it first looked too. He's deffo got something about him, just hope he's not on the shelf for a while now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

He's up and down but I love that he's brave. We have too many meh "attackers" but he makes good runs and doesn't mind taking a shot.

The finish Saturday was actually harder than it first looked too. He's deffo got something about him, just hope he's not on the shelf for a while now.

One of out better recent buys along with Lavia

Whilst he didn’t help himself with that celebration I couldn’t help but notice from the replays that particular area of the pitch was soaking wet and caused him to tumble slightly as he slid. Why was it so wet considering it wasn’t raining?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Whilst he didn’t help himself with that celebration I couldn’t help but notice from the replays that particular area of the pitch was soaking wet and caused him to tumble slightly as he slid. Why was it so wet considering it wasn’t raining?

It must have been watered. I think the playing surface has been a bit ropey lately.

5 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I’m not normally a pessimist but can’t help but feel with the way the season is going that he’s going to miss the rest of it or something silly!

Scan results are tomorrow. He's rated as a 75% chance of being fit for the next game from 50% yesterday

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

He’s the midfielder we’ve been crying out for for years… Aggressive, good in tight spaces, ability to break the lines. 

I guess the language barrier has been stopping him playing, but it doesn’t matter. We need to play Alcaraz, Lavia, JWP as often as we physically can IMO. 

This will be the most annoying thing about relegation this season - that we finally seem to be signing decent players after the dross of the last few years, and yet it seems to little to late. If we WERE to stay in the Prem next season we'd have Sulemana, Charly, ABK, Lavia, Salisu, Big Paul, Tino, KWP, JWP all in the same team together and then we can work around the edges. We'd actually have a good looking first team. Sadly I don't think that will come to pass and we'll probably see half of them shipped off in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

This will be the most annoying thing about relegation this season - that we finally seem to be signing decent players after the dross of the last few years, and yet it seems to little to late. If we WERE to stay in the Prem next season we'd have Sulemana, Charly, ABK, Lavia, Salisu, Big Paul, Tino, KWP, JWP all in the same team together and then we can work around the edges. We'd actually have a good looking first team. Sadly I don't think that will come to pass and we'll probably see half of them shipped off in the summer.

Yeah I agree with that. Especially like the midfield triumvirate of Jwp lavia and Charley, shame its gonna fall apart ( in my opinion)

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I wouldn't write off the season yet. Crystal Palace are in freefall just now, psychologically that's hard on the players. There are also rumblings at West Ham that some of the players are unhappy with Moyes. There are alot of individual stories to play out, and at least Southampton have played through their dramas now and have something to build on just now

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It must have been watered. I think the playing surface has been a bit ropey lately.

Absolutely. I have it on good authority that the board asked the groundsman at the start of the season to make sure the pitch was as good as the team!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Charlie wayman, why confused about my message ? If you just told me rather than leaving that emoji I could explain it to you.

Sorry, only allowed three posts per day so had none left. Can't remember now why I put a check mark against your post.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Just realised he's only 20. Still plenty of years to develop and improve. I'll cut him a bit more slack next time he makes a mistake! 

Yes but he’s not the only one. Ings of all people did it for a while with his dodgy injury record. I think after a while he stopped. Maybe Ralph had a word with him. 
And there are plenty of others doing it. Madness. 

Admittedly not as bad as that player who did a back somersault, and died after landing on his head and breaking his neck. 😕

So much doom and gloom on here. Let's try to be positive.

Carlos Alcaraz is looking like a great signing. Full of energy, got a turn of pace, seems to be able to score goals. And has potential to get even better.

If we can keep him in the summer, you'd think he'll destroy the Championship.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2023 at 13:37, BotleySaint said:

Carlos Alcaraz is looking like a great signing. Full of energy, got a turn of pace, seems to be able to score goals. And has potential to get even better.

I'd like to see him stay and I agree with everything you say, I think he has potential, the key word though is the one I've highlighted, I just hope he stays for a season and helps us back up - Sheffield United kept Berge so it's not impossible. I do think we have more chance of keeping Charly than we do of keeping Sulemana. Charly most likely wasn't too well known outside of Argentina unless scouted whereas Sulemana is a Ghanaian International, shone at the WC (fastest player) and came from France.

Obviously I'd like, to keep both but some of our players will be eyed up by the vultures left in the Prem.

On 17/03/2023 at 13:37, BotleySaint said:

He’s really, really good. I’m a big Stu fan, but this bloke pisses all over him. 

I think chances of us keeping him are limited, low risk gamble for most PL clubs. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

He’s really, really good. I’m a big Stu fan, but this bloke pisses all over him. 

I think chances of us keeping him are limited, low risk gamble for most PL clubs. 

Not a chance in hell we keep him .. Harry agent redknapp has admired and alerted every prem manager from 7th down on how good he is and how he will get hoovered up if we drop .. wanker was the cause in 2005 the cheeky cunt !

He also went on to say he couldn’t even go shopping in Southampton these days of fear of getting lynched ! Id beat the jam roly poly right out of him if I saw him in town .. and is twat of a son !!

• 5 weeks later...

Worth a mention after last night's performance. A goal, pass for Walcott's goal, and cleared one off the line.

He achieved that in 45 minutes, which is more of a contribution than many of the buggers have made all season. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good player.  Criminal to take him off at half-time yesterday.

Perspective... Taking him off avoids all possibility of a red card. If he'd been shown a red he would miss three games. Better to take him off in a game where we are winning than risk him not being able to play.

It's unlikely to be relevant though as we aren't going to get enough points with or without him!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Perspective... Taking him off avoids all possibility of a red card. If he'd been shown a red he would miss three games. Better to take him off in a game where we are winning than risk him not being able to play.

It's unlikely to be relevant though as we aren't going to get enough points with or without him!

Horse shit and Jesus wept  ! 

We are going down without the win so he should have been kept on anyway and try for the win. 

Great perspective 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

its a one game ban for two yellows.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Worth a mention after last night's performance. A goal, pass for Walcott's goal, and cleared one off the line.

He achieved that in 45 minutes, which is more of a contribution than many of the buggers have made all season. 

And his reward was for clueless Selles to haul him off at half time. What message does that send?

As for the "he was on a yellow so better safe than sorry" bollocks, do we take off every player that has picked up a yellow? Especially the one who was miles better than everyone else. Fine if he was lunging into tackles left, right and centre, with the ref giving him a final warning. But it wasn't even close to being like that.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

And his reward was for clueless Selles to haul him off at half time. What message does that send?

As for the "he was on a yellow so better safe than sorry" bollocks, do we take off every player that has picked up a yellow? Especially the one who was miles better than everyone else. Fine if he was lunging into tackles left, right and centre, with the ref giving him a final warning. But it wasn't even close to being like that.

He won’t even be selected for the Bournemouth match…….

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I really do like him.

With a team that has offered so little creativity, he shines out like a player that had the killer instinct.

If he gets game time, he could become our 2nd top scorer in the league, which just shows how much he stands out. He only joined in January, and is not a striker.

In to of that, he attracts fouls around the box. Opposition players get worried when he is attacking them, and bring him down. The ref (apart from last night) gives the free kicks.

I think we have a great player here, but how long until it is settled into him to play backwards.

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good player.  Criminal to take him off at half-time yesterday.

Or...it was a good tactical sub that nullified arsenal's main attacking threats, led to us going 3-1 up, and stopped a top of the table desperate arsenal having a shot on target that half until circa 70min 🤔🙄

Edited by Saint86

7 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Genuinely one of the most baffling substitutions I’ve ever seen. 

He was absolutely immense first half. To hook him at half time was atrocious management to be honest. 

We’re good at trumping things this season, though. It was the most baffling sub until 43 minutes later when he took Lavia off. 
Like Forest was our worst home game ever until the next one v Wolves 😂

As for Alcatraz, looks a super talent. Out of interest, is the assumption that he, Sulemana and tall Paul (Orsic and Bree as well I guess) all stay if (when) we go down? We looked strong candidates for relegation when they signed so you’d imagine there’s no relegation release clause, and they weren’t exactly huge names when they signed?

All of them will be an asset in the championship: possibly not the phantom Orsic, but most definitely Charlie.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz