Carlos Alcaraz

Master Bates

As Mudryk, joined the Blues on an eight-and-a-half-year deal, I wonder how long a player can sign a contract with us. It seems that we prefer to sign a shorter contract ( 4.5 years without an option) and then get into a trouble of player refusing to renew the contract after two years.  I know a player has a say on the duration but if a player refuse to sign a longer contract, it also means he doesn’t have a commitment to us. Having paid a sizable transfer fee, I think 4.5 year duration is too short. 

7 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

As Mudryk, joined the Blues on an eight-and-a-half-year deal, I wonder how long a player can sign a contract with us. It seems that we prefer to sign a shorter contract ( 4.5 years without an option) and then get into a trouble of player refusing to renew the contract after two years.  I know a player has a say on the duration but if a player refuse to sign a longer contract, it also means he doesn’t have a commitment to us. Having paid a sizable transfer fee, I think 4.5 year duration is too short. 

It's all about the risk appetite though isn't it. Chelsea don’t have to worry about him flopping 2 years into his deal, they’d happily make a loss and wouldn’t blink. We can’t work like that.

Just imagine if we'd have stuck Lemina or Hoedt on 7+ year deals, at the time they looked to be 'marque' signings but that would have killed us. I think 4.5-5yrs is about right for us, I wouldn't want us going any longer than that. Options are a good idea, but we're not usually privy to what goes into contracts.

• Like 1

Hey there, I'll try to answer doubts about him.

On 09/01/2023 at 13:28, verlaine1979 said:

Hopefully Alcaraz is the creativity and drive through central midfield that we've badly needed since... a depressingly long time ago. It's a gamble, but we can't afford south american talent that's already proven in Europe, so if we want those gems we have to find them ourselves.

Sign a striker, and suddenly the team looks well balanced for 4-2-3-1 

Well Idk if I'd use the word "creative". He breaks lines most of the times with his dribbling and skills, you already saw that, he knows how to move the ball, has good pass too. I'm gonna give you a raw, really raw comparisson: it's Di Maria, a bit slower, but with more dribbling. You know what i mean? I'm not saying he's Di Maria but hey, the kid is really good and he may be a great player, Idk if TOP Class, there's a chance, yes, he has conditions, lets see if he can use them. 

On 09/01/2023 at 13:41, Toadhall Saint said:

Most Argentinians are tough and can dish it out a bit. I suspect this guy won’t be any different.

He has a lot of experience to be only 20 yo, has big guts (maybe too big, and that sometimes gives troubles to him and he may see a red card defending a buddy or completely trashing into someone. Example:

He needs to work into this. This cant happen in a team with such a sensitive place in the table like yours (fair context: he's a fan of the rival of that team, so it was a special match for him).

About the position in the field, you guys are using weird letters like CM and so on and Idk whatcha talking about, but let me tell you he can play in the entire midfield. He played everywhere. Fun fact, at the begining we didnt know his actual position because the coach put him in all the places of the midfield, so if you want to put it in (we use numbers, idk if you'll get me) 8, double 5, 10... He will play and will do a good job. Hell, I THINK i even watch him playing as a striker sometimes, but dont expect that tho, thats overreacting, but yeah, do you have a space in the midfield? He'll go and play there, dont worry about it. He's offensive, but you saw he did some defensive movements against Everton, but thats more like "an offensive player helping at the back". Hey, thats good tho too, he will sacrifice defensively for the team if thats necesarely. He gaves it all, no doubt about it.

Edited by Sicily
  • Like 7

On 09/01/2023 at 15:38, goodymatt said:

Does he even know where Southampton is?! I have my doubts 😂

I dont wanna be meanie because he's a nice guy, but I'm sure if you showed him an European map, he didnt know where England is located, lol

Edited by Sicily
  • Haha 3

On 10/01/2023 at 15:56, FarehamSaintJames said:

Can’t wait to watch this guy pass sideways or backwards to one of his fellow defenders. 😅

Well he's pretty offensive always looking for the enemy area, so I wouldnt count on him to do that, unless you have one of those special coaches... lol

On 11/01/2023 at 13:05, Umlaut said:

Got it. Cheap suitcase, no socks and cross eyed. There really are some warriors on here. 

Welcome to Southampton

Yeah dont worry, I mean he wasnt raised in a midclass family with all the luxuries and so on... Working class family, I wouldnt be surprise if he or his mom skipped a meal sometimes, so yeah, he'll survive dont worry about it.

• Haha 2

As Jones said he didn’t pull up any trees on debut but I did think he put his body on the line and covered a lot of distance. He had only a short training session and having to deal with the jet lag and acclimatisation to winter in the UK and he still was as good as Diallo. Surely with a full week under his belt, he should be dislodging Diallo, if we’re not playing JWP as a cm. Diallo has an ok game 1 in 5 games and the rest of the time he looks out of pace. He’s awful at maintaining possession, even when just going sideways. He’s managed to get away with it with JWP in the 10 and Lavia alongside him because he’s got extra bodies to help make up the ground for his mistakes. He does a job as a squad player, but hopefully Alcaraz takes his slot sooner than later. 

Yeah, he's got quality. He kind of stood out alongside Diallo and even JWP in the sense of his agility on the ball and how keen he was to move it quickly, and able to move it quickly. He wasn't ''amazing'', but he was tidy and easily one of our better quality players. Doesn't say much for the rest of the squad mind.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Was superb, always trying to go forwards, not scared to have a shot on goal. A midfield 3 of Lavia JWP Alcaraz is fine. 

It won’t take long for the negativity of this group to rub off on him. Give it a month and he’ll be Slow and ponderous like the rest of the wasters. 

Looks a good player though, just what we needed in there to be honest. 

could prob use the old Roy Keane song with some word smithing better than my abilities 😁

Charlys fucking magic

he wears and magic hat

and when he saw st Mary’s

he said I fancy that

Could have stayed with racing 

and won the argie cup

but he signed for southampton

cos we’re fucking dynamite 

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Was superb, always trying to go forwards, not scared to have a shot on goal. A midfield 3 of Lavia JWP Alcaraz is fine. 

Midfield looked very good last night and we have decent options in there, especially if the Danish chap signs.  It's the bits either end of the field that aren't up to scratch.

It is great to be finally playing a 3 man midfield.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Jones speaks Spanish 

Also saw on LinkedIn (the height of all football gossip on there) that one of the staff for the women was asked to help with the process of him signing and settling because she has a degree in Spanish. Seems to me that we don't have many Spanish speakers knocking about.

The boy was great yesterday in my opinion. Passed well, moved well and seemed to be genuinely positive with his play. The thought of a three man midfield of him, JWP and Lavia could end up saving us this season, if we can just start scoring.

• Like 3

On 25/01/2023 at 09:26, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Also saw on LinkedIn (the height of all football gossip on there) that one of the staff for the women was asked to help with the process of him signing and settling because she has a degree in Spanish. Seems to me that we don't have many Spanish speakers knocking about.

The boy was great yesterday in my opinion. Passed well, moved well and seemed to be genuinely positive with his play. The thought of a three man midfield of him, JWP and Lavia could end up saving us this season, if we can just start scoring.

Honestly if we don't even up signing a forward we'd be better off focusing on getting the ball wide and then finding JWP or Alcarez making late runs into the box. I'd even rather play Armstrong and Mara up top and get them running into the channels to facilitate this.

On 25/01/2023 at 09:26, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Larios.

What a disappointment Alcaraz was last night.

Hardly did anything good with the ball and didnt track with Longstaff for the second goal.

Shame as he looked a player in his first appearance.

Bit like Mara who looked decent in his first game and has been mediocre at best since then apart from the well taken goal v Man City

what is Charly's role exactly? i think that is the problem/issue.

Is he partnering with Lavia in a defensive role? Is he an #8? Is he more of a Attacking Mid? a quasi #10? 

He has talent, that is obvious. NJ needs to put him in the right position with the proper formation, with a clearly defined role, if he is to succeed.

Nobody seemed to have a clue what they were meant to be doing last night. Now we've got the new players in, can we just settle on 4-2-3-1 with Alcaraz in the middle of the attacking three? That's where he looked positive in his previous cameos, trying to burst through the middle and get into the box.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Nobody seemed to have a clue what they were meant to be doing last night. Now we've got the new players in, can we just settle on 4-2-3-1 with Alcaraz in the middle of the attacking three? That's where he looked positive in his previous cameos, trying to burst through the middle and get into the box.

The way he switched off for their second was unforgivable, he was ahead of Longstaff and then just stood there while he jogged past and got an easy finish. That's on him first and foremost even the uncertainty of not knowing what you and your teammates are supposed to be doing doesn't help. 

On the other hand I thought he was good in the previous matches he played but I disagree on having him that far forward. His strength is that he can progress the ball from deep either through dribbling or quick 1-2s as well as turning up in the final third every now and then. I'd play him next to a more conservative DM behind the more attacking midfielders as a box-to-box midfielder.

On 01/02/2023 at 18:27, SaintTex said:

what is Charly's role exactly? i think that is the problem/issue.

Is he partnering with Lavia in a defensive role? Is he an #8? Is he more of a Attacking Mid? a quasi #10? 

He has talent, that is obvious. NJ needs to put him in the right position with the proper formation, with a clearly defined role, if he is to succeed.

Think the ideal would be Lavia and JWP behind Alcaraz, or Lavia behind both. 
The midfield looked completely lost on Tuesday, with JWP, Diallo and Alcaraz all stepping on each others toes.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz
1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think the ideal would be Lavia and JWP behind Alcaraz, or Lavia behind both. 
The midfield looked completely lost on Tuesday, with JWP, Diallo and Alcaraz all stepping on each others toes.

Having seen all 3 have individually good performances I feel like Tuesday wasn't their fault really. The ideal for me is Lavia sat centrally, JWP to his right and Alcaraz to his left. If Alcaraz pushes up, JWP drops and Lavia slides over, and vice versa. This didn't seem to work on Tuesday because of the system around them. There wasn't much support from players ahead of them, and they should have been able to trust the 5 defenders to help them. Instead the runners were being lost, the midfield didn't seem to know where it was meant to be, and we really struggled for meaningful possession until we changed formation.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This team had been needing somebody to play between the lines, make runs beyond the striker and ultimately put the ball in the back of the net. He's been a little up and down since he joined (Newcastle H was excellent), but I think he's proved to be a must start if he's fit. I don't think anyone else in our team makes that run and scores that goal.

Would be about our luck that he's out for 6 weeks due to a knee slide.

• Like 5

The knee slide is such a dumb celebration, the most delicate and under strain are of a pro footballer’s body is the knees and players jump on them and try to slide. It’s baffling that it’s not flat out banned by every pro club. The annoying thing as well is I see all the kids copying it as well 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

The knee slide is such a dumb celebration, the most delicate and under strain are of a pro footballer’s body is the knees and players jump on them and try to slide. It’s baffling that it’s not flat out banned by every pro club. The annoying thing as well is I see all the kids copying it as well 

It does look cool when you get it right though

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

There's some players I wouldn't mind still doing a knee slide celebration.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

You don’t see Adam Armstrong or Che doing too many knee slides 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

It does look cool when you get it right though

Agree, but they should be advised to do a Klinsmann instead. I hope i'm wrong, but i suspect Alcatraz might have time on his hands to watch his technnique on VHS over the next few weeks....or Betamax. Don't want to be seen as a Tapist.

Edited by LeBizzier69
All Video Recorders Matter

He’s the midfielder we’ve been crying out for for years… Aggressive, good in tight spaces, ability to break the lines. 

I guess the language barrier has been stopping him playing, but it doesn’t matter. We need to play Alcaraz, Lavia, JWP as often as we physically can IMO. 

• Like 2

On 17/01/2023 at 18:23, Sicily said:

Hey there, I'll try to answer doubts about him.

Well Idk if I'd use the word "creative". He breaks lines most of the times with his dribbling and skills, you already saw that, he knows how to move the ball, has good pass too. I'm gonna give you a raw, really raw comparisson: it's Di Maria, a bit slower, but with more dribbling. You know what i mean? I'm not saying he's Di Maria but hey, the kid is really good and he may be a great player, Idk if TOP Class, there's a chance, yes, he has conditions, lets see if he can use them. 

He has a lot of experience to be only 20 yo, has big guts (maybe too big, and that sometimes gives troubles to him and he may see a red card defending a buddy or completely trashing into someone. Example:

He needs to work into this. This cant happen in a team with such a sensitive place in the table like yours (fair context: he's a fan of the rival of that team, so it was a special match for him).

About the position in the field, you guys are using weird letters like CM and so on and Idk whatcha talking about, but let me tell you he can play in the entire midfield. He played everywhere. Fun fact, at the begining we didnt know his actual position because the coach put him in all the places of the midfield, so if you want to put it in (we use numbers, idk if you'll get me) 8, double 5, 10... He will play and will do a good job. Hell, I THINK i even watch him playing as a striker sometimes, but dont expect that tho, thats overreacting, but yeah, do you have a space in the midfield? He'll go and play there, dont worry about it. He's offensive, but you saw he did some defensive movements against Everton, but thats more like "an offensive player helping at the back". Hey, thats good tho too, he will sacrifice defensively for the team if thats necesarely. He gaves it all, no doubt about it.

Can we assume that you are either Snr Alcaraz or his brother?

• Haha 1

On 24/01/2023 at 23:34, Saint Garrett said:

Most people called it back in January! Clearly our best midfield 3.

Edited by Saint Garrett

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz