WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

3-1 defeat

Away to not just a good team, but a very good team. This had a defeat written all over it before Bristol.

we are flat track bullies. Now we are not away to Rotherham or QPR, we will be pretty meh in games like this.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

We're unbeaten against the current top 6 away from home, that will continue, they're gonna get the backlash.

Statistics like this are what keep me alive.

Well done Russell and the team for our breathtaking record of being undefeated, neigh untouchable, against the current top 6 away from home this season.

Anyone have any idea what our secret is?

• Haha 1

Someone mentioned it on the Bristol City thread but going 3 at the back if Downes is out could be a good shout. Need to get back to being more solid. It might also keep Manning slightly further away from our goal. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well done Russell and the team for our breathtaking record of being undefeated, neigh untouchable, against the current top 6 away from home this season.

Don’t play them 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely certain we will lose this, likely similar to last night 3-1. We have done a lot better than my pre-season prediction of finishing 9th but we will be in the play offs for sure. No idea from there if we win it. We should if on form and play to our best, but the play offs are a lottery.

• Like 2

After the Huddersfield game I finally switched from being apprehensive about our chances for second to positively excited. I even said that for the first time I thought we had an attack that rivalled Leeds's. And then last night comes and craps on our parade. We were poor defensively, in attack but particularly in midfield. We played like a team of strangers. It was static, slow and passing was poor.

I am really hoping we raise our game against WBA but my God did it show how much we missed Downes, how poor Manning is defensively and how AA is really not a number 9, despite that being the position he wants to play in (and a position I think Russ will keep playing him in now that we have Brooks). 

Winning against WBA will mean that last night's game wasn't an awful result as 3 points from the 2 games was the bare minimum to keep us in the race really. Anything less than 3 points and we really will start to lose confidence. That being said I think a draw would be slightly confidence boosting - it wouldn't help us much long term though. 

Leeds are flying and their manager is one that knows how to get teams promoted. I do believe they'll have a blip again before the end of the season but we need to keep in touch with them to make it count. 

Will we win on Friday? It's tough to see it right now but keep the faith. We can't play much worse than we did yesterday. That said WBA are a good team. We need our best side out and that means Fraser and hopefully Downes. Still I'm worried. 1-1 and an improved performance.

The late travel back from Bristol, lack of training and recovery time to an already tired squad worries me greatly. 

Turn up half arsed in the first half like we did last night and Saturday and we’ll be in massive trouble.

Huddersfield first half, and Bistol City last night have shown our vulnerabilities. Playing direct and mostly through the middle they got after us and managed 14 and 17 shots respectively, from only a third of the possession.  We need to be a lot tighter in midfield. When's Downes back? 

• Like 1

We'll find out how good we really are in this one.

We can't go 25 unbeaten and straight into 2 defeats on a bounce, it would be ludicrous. Then we'd have Hull at home who will cause us problem's, going into that game in hand with 2 defeats on the bounce would be a disaster. The team can't let that happen. This spell up to the end of this month will define the season more than the 25 unbeaten games did.

It's frustrating really, as in any normal season going 25 games without a defeat will give you a bit of breathing space and a nice gap at the top - but we just couldn't ever get that, a really freak season. The top 3 just win every week.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Ryan 'mind the gap' Manning...

• Haha 3

I

38 minutes ago, Morse said:

Huddersfield first half, and Bistol City last night have shown our vulnerabilities. Playing direct and mostly through the middle they got after us and managed 14 and 17 shots respectively, from only a third of the possession.  We need to be a lot tighter in midfield. When's Downes back? 

I think last two games have shown other teams exactly how to play against us , we lack strength in the middle of the park, lose possession and get stretched so easily,  from the games I've watched recently Leeds look like a well oiled machine think they'll take some stopping 

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We can't go 25 unbeaten and straight into 2 defeats on a bounce, it would be ludicrous

The pessimist in me in currently battling with my inner optimist... 

My pessimist voice is having flashbacks to that superb 20 or so game run we had in 2020/21 whereby we were top 4 of the PL form table.... We then suffered that heavy-ish defeat away to Aston Villa and we were never the same again... There was a sense then that teams had finally worked out how to counter 'Ralph-ball'...

Here's hoping history isn't about to repeat itself with 'Russ-ball'.... come on the optimist!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, trousers said:

The pessimist in me in currently battling with my inner optimist... 

My pessimist voice is having flashbacks to that superb 20 or so game run we had in 2020/21 whereby we were top 4 of the PL form table.... We then suffered that heavy-ish defeat away to Aston Villa and we were never the same again... There was a sense then that teams had finally worked out how to counter 'Ralph-ball'...

Here's hoping history isn't about to repeat itself with 'Russ-ball'.... come on the optimist!

To be fair we weren't anywhere near as good as the table suggested at that point, that form did roll between two seasons as well (the lockdown games skewed things massively, even Sheffield United finished 9th in that year).

We've got better players for this league, whereas under Ralph we were punching during that run in my opinion. That's why I never understood the cries to dump Ralph when we inevitably struggled to maintain that 20 game form.

We have to be able to go to WBA and get a win really - we're easily good enough and they are missing Bartley still I hope.  I think the back four picks itself.  Midfield three will be interesting - Downes (if fit), Stu and Rothwell would be my pick and let Smallbone have a rest.  If no Downes, then perhaps tweak the formation - 3 CBs?  Not sure Aribo would be ready to come straight in and start but he has a bit of physicality which might help.

Forward three I think we look best with Edozie one side, Arma the other, and Adams through the middle.  Dont know if Brooks can play through the middle but maybe we bring him on with 30mins to go.

Is there any news on Downes at all?

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair we weren't anywhere near as good as the table suggested at that point, that form did roll between two seasons as well (the lockdown games skewed things massively, even Sheffield United finished 9th in that year).

We've got better players for this league, whereas under Ralph we were punching during that run in my opinion. That's why I never understood the cries to dump Ralph when we inevitably struggled to maintain that 20 game form.

Yeah, fair points. I guess I'm just exhibiting a dash of anxiety in not knowing* whether yesterday was a mere blip or the start of a downturn. We'll find out in a few weeks, of course.... 

(* maybe I should consult @Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd given his ability to peer into the future... ;) )

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yeah, fair points. I guess I'm just exhibiting a dash of anxiety in not knowing* whether yesterday was a mere blip or the start of a downturn. We'll find out in a few weeks, of course.... 

(* maybe I should consult @Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd given his ability to peer into the future... ;) )

I know what you mean, but I genuinely believe we're a really good side and full of leaders. They couldn't have gone on the run they'd been on had that not been the case. I reckon by the end of this month after Leicester have beaten Leeds (yes, that's been given up on now) and we've won our game in hand, things will look better than they have at any point this season in terms of a gap to third. Just my positive hunch.

• Like 1

Seems like the "inverted full backs" are starting to creep back in. Just like the start of the season when we were shit, we're starting to look shit now... 

2-1 baggies or score draw. Can't see us winning here. 

• Haha 2

So, potential line-ups then....

If Downes is still out, I'm inclined to agree with the 3 CBs option...

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Stephens, Bednarek, Bree/Manning, Charles/Bragg, S.Armstrong, A.Armstrong, Adams, Fraser

But if Downes is back...

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Bree/Manning, Downes, Smallbone, Edozie, A.Armstrong, Adams, Fraser

(As good as he is, I'm wondering if the introduction of Brooks has maybe upset our 'automatism' somewhat, so I'm thinking he'll be better as an impact sub for the time being?)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

If Downes is still out we should go 3-4-3.  Fuck Manning off as he has been shite in the last 2 games and play 2 wing backs.

If Downes is fit, put him straight in for Charles and Stu for Rothwell.  Up front play Fraser/Edozie, Mara and Brooks.

Recipe for success.  Let’s make sure those dour, miserable black-country fuckers go home pointless.

• Like 3

Bazunu; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Meghoma; Downes, Aribo, S Armstrong; Brooks, Fraser, Adams/Mara.

Armstrong has had 3 poor games in a row, maybe he needs a rest. Certainly don't want to see him as a central striker again.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

So, potential line-ups then....

If Downes is still out, I'm inclined to agree with the 3 CBs option...

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Stephens, Bednarek, Bree/Manning, Charles/Bragg, S.Armstrong, A.Armstrong, Adams, Fraser

But if Downes is back...

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Bree/Manning, Downes, Smallbone, Edozie, A.Armstrong, Adams, Fraser

(As good as he is, I'm wondering if the introduction of Brooks has maybe upset our 'automatism' somewhat, so I'm thinking he'll be better as an impact sub for the time being?)

I kinda agree with this,, I kept going on during the window that our obsession with bringing in a right winger when we have Armstrong with the best stats in the league was unnecessary.

brooks does look amazing,but there’s a saying if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it. Personally think we should go back to the side that mostly was the one during the unbeaten run now. Get Armstrong and Fraser back in in their proper positions and go from there.  Use as close to a proven side for this one as we don’t need two bad results in a row 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Remember going to this fixture in our relegation season in 04/05 and nearly getting frostbite - was snowing at one point I think.

Drew 0-0 after Prutton had an open goal from about 3 yards and somehow managed to put it over. 

Didn't we lose to them there in our relegation season? I thought Geoff Horsefield scored.

At least we should be pretty fresh for this after so little running last night. 

Hopefully Downes is fit, and Adams too. Both were hugely missed and we’ll have to mix our game up to get anything from this. Strolling around and playing 5 yard passes to the opposition isn’t going to cut it 

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what side we put out. They keys are not giving the ball away and playing with more intensity. Do that and we've got a shout against anyone. Be sloppy like the last two games and we'll get punished.

• Like 2

Going to go out on a limb and say we won't be winning this one sadly. Team looks very jaded and disjointed recently. A lot of change and inability to rotate efficiently looks set to hurt us in the short term. Need to mitigate the damage and stay in touch with leeds until our respective forms recover.

I had this as the game that would end our run. Now it has ended this could go one of 2 ways for me, we bounce right back and win or return to the terrible September form for a bit, so draw 2-2. 😂 

5 hours ago, JRM said:

I

I think last two games have shown other teams exactly how to play against us , we lack strength in the middle of the park, lose possession and get stretched so easily,  from the games I've watched recently Leeds look like a well oiled machine think they'll take some stopping 

They seem also to be set up to play exactly as teams we struggle against, quick and powerful on the counter attack. If it's a winner takes all game at Elland Road come May i really cant see us getting a result.

• Like 2

hmm, doesn't seem to make any sense changing system because we've lost 1 game in 26. Our biggest issues last night were giving the ball away cheaply, and barely having a midfield. We have no one else who can play in Downes position.

Felt like too many changes last night, and some of our defending was abysmal, Manning specifically, but also felt like Bednarek was scared about getting booked.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

hmm, doesn't seem to make any sense changing system because we've lost 1 game in 26. Our biggest issues last night were giving the ball away cheaply, and barely having a midfield. We have no one else who can play in Downes position.

Felt like too many changes last night, and some of our defending was abysmal, Manning specifically, but also felt like Bednarek was scared about getting booked.

He was very lucky not to be booked tbf. 

Not sufficient time to change formation, not that I would advocate that anyway.  

The Brizzle game we didn't control the midfield, we can put that down to key players missing, new players involved, strong game by our opponent.  We have to look after the ball so much better than we did last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

23 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Not sufficient time to change formation, not that I would advocate that anyway.  

The Brizzle game we didn't control the midfield, we can put that down to key players missing, new players involved, strong game by our opponent.  We have to look after the ball so much better than we did last night.

Is it not logical to contemplate altering the formation/system to compensate for not having a suitable replacement for Downes...? 

• Like 2

Want Bree starting on the left, plays taller than manning too.

Some interesting stats here as well for the overall championship for those interested - https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/48/stats/championship/players

Armstrong, Seukou, Fraser and Jan listed in some sections, interesting one though was A Armstrong leads the league for big chances missed 17 ! bit harsh on the fella given his goals and assists but 17 is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Baggies? They'll be in fucking body bags when we're done with them.

Black Country? Black death more like, when we've annihilated them.

The Yam-Yams can stick their boing-boings up their bum bums

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic