Saints 4-2 Sunderland - Match Thread

Lighthouse

11am update from H&IOW Fire:

HIWFRS Incident Commander Mark White said:

“Activities have continued over night and this morning we have four fire engines in attendance along with an Aerial Ladder Platform, which is a high reach appliance that is being used as a water tower. We are hoping at some point today we will be able to extinguish the fire completely, however in some areas it is really deep seated and there are areas that are very difficult to reach due to the partially collapsed nature of the building.”

Because of a change in wind direction people who were previously unaffected may now be seeing and smelling smoke, our advice remains that people in affected areas should keep their windows closed.

Road closures remain in place and people are asked to avoid the area if possible.

If you find ash and debris from the Marine Parade fire on your property you are advised to leave it alone.

---

From the pictures, the situation has improved a lot in terms of the fire itself and smoke so I guess the club's attention now turns to the clean-up, noting that the fire brigade are still using the South Car Park (adjacent to the Chapel stand) to fight the blaze from the back of the warehouse unit. 

Fingers crossed the game will still be on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Is this going to be like Chernobyl, where the authorities don’t evacuate the city for three days?

The problem will be just how much smoke and debris got into the stadium and what chemicals/materials were contained within that.

Hopefully, from the clubs point of view, a deep clean of the whole stadium will suffice and pass any inspection.

I did read there was a fear of asbestos in the roof of one of those units but of course you never can tell on social media what is true/partly true or just bullshit.

I suspect the main concern for the authorities will be having 30,000 people rocking up literally a few feet away especially if they are still working in the area.

13 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I suspect the main concern for the authorities will be having 30,000 people rocking up literally a few feet away especially if they are still working in the area.

Could be restricted access 

Edited by Badger
Bad taste joke deleted

We really need that Sunderland game to go ahead. if it doesn't Saints could be stuffed. Games in hand are a pain and with so many in so short a time frame there is no way they'll have the capacity to perform at the Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich level for all games. 

We've all seen that that scenario so many times. Points in the bag are always worth more than games in hand. 

I guess the only caveat is that Stewart may be back but that's doubtful.

A big factor in all this will be the form of Adams. He needs to start on a scoring run for both our prospects, and his own with Scotland in the Euros. He is capable when the mood takes him, and maybe the incentive of firing his country into Euro glory (yes I can dream) will be the catalyst he needs. Armstrong and possibly Frazer will have similar thoughts. Brooks with Wales as well. 

By the time April and May come around minds are going to be sharply focussed on the Euros and potential transfer moves. Will they all give their all for 10 games in 36 days ... who knows. It just seems everything is getting tougher for Saints sadly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

The problem will be just how much smoke and debris got into the stadium and what chemicals/materials were contained within that.

Hopefully, from the clubs point of view, a deep clean of the whole stadium will suffice and pass any inspection.

I did read there was a fear of asbestos in the roof of one of those units but of course you never can tell on social media what is true/partly true or just bullshit.

The 4th unit looks to have an asbestos roof, but it doesn't appear the the affected units are.

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

The 4th unit looks to have an asbestos roof, but it doesn't appear the the affected units are.

image.png

Basically impossible to tell from a satellite image if its asbestos or not, although it does appear similar to some of the adjacent buildings. Reality is that if it predates the ban there is a good chance that it is. Does anyone know when those units were built?

The ones to the left of that row could well be an asbestos roofing material (based on street view), but you can't get a good image of the actual roofs impacted. You still can't be certain either way without testing.

image.thumb.png.c279bdcd7f316efd71bbcad251c7a101.png

image.thumb.png.22e7343385fa61227a4d2ff93ffe214a.png

Edited by Saint86

If there is the slightest concern that asbestos fibres have been released during the blaze, the whole area within the smoke plume would have been contaminated and that will take months to clear up. I don't know where they would start with that and who would pay for the clean up cost, which could be massive.

Somebody joked about Chernobyl and mass evacuations but serious asbestos contamination within the locality of the fire would be no joke. It could put SMS out of action for the rest of the season. My greater concern would be for the heath and welfare of the local residents` and the impact it would have on their lives

Of course the companies involved have had years to remove any asbestos roofing, if they haven't done so by now they might be caught out by their penny pinching

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert on asbestos but I thought it was mainly used for it's fire and heat retardant properties. I thought the main risk from spores being released into the atmosphere came from it being sawn/machined or in other way broken up in a way which projected loose fibres. Obviously there is some risk of that from the roof collapsing but I don't think it's quite the health hazard that some fear.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Came here to get excited for the game. 

Instead all I get is images of roofs taken from google maps. 

A new low for saintsweb imo 

Nah, some people turned a thread about Christmas greetings into a conversation about ducks raping each other, a few years back. That was pretty low.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24170078.southampton-confirm-no-fire-damage-st-marys-stadium/?ref=rss

No fire damage to St Mary’s confirmed, still checking for smoke damage, and Saturday’s game still not confirmed to be going ahead.

Assuming the fire gets put out today and with the stadium not damaged (and I assume the pitch undamaged too) I can't see how this won't go ahead. That area from the shop to the family corner can be sealed off. If this happened at the away end it could have been different.

Players can park elsewhere, shop could remain shut.

Chapel fans enter by adjacent turnstiles or through the tunnel. Stewards can chaperone supporters into the stand at pitch level. Advance notice to 'allow more time to enter the ground'

Corner exits for fire escape (sic)

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Assuming the fire gets put out today and with the stadium not damaged (and I assume the pitch undamaged too) I can't see how this won't go ahead. That area from the shop to the family corner can be sealed off. If this happened at the away end it could have been different.

Players can park elsewhere, shop could remain shut.

Chapel fans enter by adjacent turnstiles or through the tunnel. Stewards can chaperone supporters into the stand at pitch level. Advance notice to 'allow more time to enter the ground'

Corner exits for fire escape (sic)

Would depend on whether there’s toxic residue on everything in the stadium from having smoke going across it for hours.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nah, some people turned a thread about Christmas greetings into a conversation about ducks raping each other, a few years back. That was pretty low.

One man’s ‘low’ is another man’s ‘Christmas wank bank’

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

image.png

A newly felted roof 

We owe them one after the drubbing they gave us at The Stadium of Shite.

And we’re going to give it to them back in spades.  The only fire those fish-fiddling mackem cunts will have to worry about will be the fire in our attack.  Brooks is going to burn baby burn and fucking destroy them.

6 fucking nil.  Come on you fucking Saints.  The glorious undefeated run to automatic promotion has already started.

Edited by Wade Garrett
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Hello, sorry to disrupt the music banter but some of us are seeking info about whether the game will actually go ahead...

Good news, the staff were probably sat at home wondering...

17 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Hello, sorry to disrupt the music banter but some of us are seeking info about whether the game will actually go ahead...

Should find out tomorrow whether it’s going ahead. Have to think they’ll make it as early in the day as possible for the sake of the Sunderland fans travelling down the day before.

16 hours ago, Toussaint said:

image.png

It is not just the roof but what was inside the building. There are loads of examples where the whole building is constructed of steel yet the abundance of asbestos cladding and toxic products inside/stored is the main concern.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-2 Sunderland - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-2 Sunderland - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic