Saints 4-2 Sunderland - Match Thread

Lighthouse

With staff returning to the building today, that gives encouragement that this game will be going ahead. Fingers crossed it is as we really do not need any further fixture congestion.

Hoping KWP is back for this one, my team would be as follows:

Baz, KWP, THB, JB, JS, Downes, Smallbone, Stu, Brooks, Che, Arma.

2-1 Saints, assuming it goes ahead!

4 hours ago, hasper57saint said:

yet the abundance of asbestos cladding and toxic products inside/stored is the main concern.

Breathing in toxic plastic chemicals and asbestos just for a meaningless game against Sunderland. This vs the Leicester game of 2019 will surely be debated in years to come as the “I stayed longer” glory hunter test. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

Breathing in toxic plastic chemicals and asbestos just for a meaningless game against Sunderland. This vs the Leicester game of 2019 will surely be debated in years to come as the “I stayed longer” glory hunter test. 

Could you rephrase this please so it is understandable to a person of average intelligence.

• Like 1

What happened v Leicester in 2019. I have no recollection 🤥

25 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Could you rephrase this please so it is understandable to a person of average intelligence.

Certainly....

He's basically expressing concern at sitting right next to the scene of a major fire where they still are to ascertain what exactly went up into the atmosphere given the instruction to residents that if you find ash and debris in your garden dont bloody touch it !

Pretty good point. Even if the game is on, is it actually worth the risk? How easy is it to detect these harmful substances?

I assume they will monitor the air before they say the game could go ahead. But then again I can’t even trust the government to collect the bins on time these days so who knows anymore 

• Haha 1

Sunderland Presser...

• Everyone was confident the game tomorrow should be OK
  • Weds was strange, we could see the smoke from far away
  • it was a big event, lots of damage, but I think no one was hurt, and that is important
  • Never seen anything like it
  • Unsure if the rearrangement is positive or not, will know at the end of the season
  • It has been relentless lately, and it will be again in April
  • Would have loved to play on Weds, but we have had more time on the training pitch 
  • The fixture pile up is not ideal, but it is out of our control
  • We have a really long period without a game after Sat, and we must utilise it well
  • A chance to get rest into some, work in others and train properly
  • These are the cards that have been dealt
  • The game at their place was the worst feeling at this club
  • We want to win every game, but the feeling we felt must be used on Sat
  • KwP is out tomorrow, he will be back next game
  • The guys have coped without him, but he is a loss but brilliant players to come in
  • I have no feelings towards the Leicester situation, I do not know enough, so no opinion at all
  • We have to focus on our game, and let others worry about their issues, I will have to read more about it
  • Sunderland played really well on Tuesday and unfortunate not to get at least a point
  • Their manager has real clarity in what they are doing
  • They have very talented individuals, rarely are they well beaten
  • The challenge for us is to be the team we want to be and play the game on our terms
  • They are a good team, who try to impose themselves on the game and will be a challenge
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Hopefully no changes to the personnel and that the defence have a bit more of an idea of what's going on around them this time...

I'm going to go for a routine 3-0 win.

Would be nice to get some revenge for the 5-0 defeat , get at them early on, if Sunderlands defence is feeling generous we could see a repeat of this 

I see the club message says they expect the usual road closures tomorrow. I presume that means only the usual?  Anyone know if the road past the stadium (and therefore past the fire) is open normally yet?

43 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

I see the club message says they expect the usual road closures tomorrow. I presume that means only the usual?  Anyone know if the road past the stadium (and therefore past the fire) is open normally yet?

On the Echo website, it says the roads and footbridges should reopen tonight when the fire brigade leave the scene.

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 1

Feels like the pressure is off now so hopefully Martin let's the players have some freedom, particularly going forward take some risks and be creative instead of focusing on keeping the ball. 

18 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Pretty good point. Even if the game is on, is it actually worth the risk? How easy is it to detect these harmful substances?

I assume they will monitor the air before they say the game could go ahead. But then again I can’t even trust the government to collect the bins on time these days so who knows anymore 

Wear a mask.  Proven to protect against loss of life.

We need to play for 3rd place now so keep matching or beating the Ipswich tally to get the best draw for the playoffs. Should be strongest 11 today with a 3 week break. It won't happen but Bree in for Manning and I am not a Smallbone fan so Rothwell for him. Has to be a win!

Just now, Dr Who? said:

What I do not understand is why we are not getting the Preston game in between Sunderland today and Middlesbrough on 29th. 

oh today 2-2

Because Preston have to agree to it. They haven't. 

And then it's international break, where I think we'll likely lose the likes of Adams & Bednarek. 

1 hour ago, Paul.Studio said:

We need to play for 3rd place now so keep matching or beating the Ipswich tally to get the best draw for the playoffs. Should be strongest 11 today with a 3 week break. It won't happen but Bree in for Manning and I am not a Smallbone fan so Rothwell for him. Has to be a win!

I don't think there are any real differences finishing 4th or 3rd to be honest. Makes no odds.

Both positions still get the second leg at home, which is the only real advantage you get from the 5-6 positions.

I don't buy the notion that teams in 5-6 are weaker, they'll be just as hard as the team in 4th or 3rd. Playoffs are a lottery, form, points you've accumulated and where you finished in the league table goes out of the window. The best advantage is the 2nd playoff leg at home, and 4th or 3rd gets us that. 

I still would like to finish 3rd as it means we've got momentum, but finishing 3rd won't give us any 'tie' advantage. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

What I do not understand is why we are not getting the Preston game in between Sunderland today and Middlesbrough on 29th. 

oh today 2-2

Preston don't want that because they have Plymouth away the following weekend (we don't play that weekend because of Leicester's FA Cup game).

We could just offer staplewood to PNE for a couple of days next week (once we've played them), then they drive on off to Plymouth on Friday. We won't have another game until the 29th so we could be given a day or two off to free up the facilities to PNE.

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think there are any real differences finishing 4th or 3rd to be honest. Makes no odds.

Both positions still get the second leg at home, which is the only real advantage you get from the 5-6 positions.

I don't buy the notion that teams in 5-6 are weaker, they'll be just as hard as the team in 4th or 3rd. Playoffs are a lottery, form, points you've accumulated and where you finished in the league table goes out of the window. The best advantage is the 2nd playoff leg at home, and 4th or 3rd gets us that. 

I still would like to finish 3rd as it means we've got momentum, but finishing 3rd won't give us any 'tie' advantage. 

Based on current positions and how we have fared against the other teams it would probably make more sense to finish 4th and play West Brom than finish 3rd and play Hull.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Based on current positions and how we have fared against the other teams it would probably make more sense to finish 4th and play West Brom than finish 3rd and play Hull.

Agree with this. Autos is going to need us to win 9 games, which seems very unlikely considering we have all the top 3 to play away and we are conceding 2 goals a game at the moment having lost 3 in 5.

18 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

On the Echo website, it says the roads and footbridges should reopen tonight when the fire brigade leave the scene.

Echo traffic news website just now is showing marine parade past the ground is shut still. Will affect routes to car parking etc, especially if Chapel Road shut as usual before match. So will have to allow extra time . 

23 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

God is this for real? Best stay home for six months just in case eh….. 😂

22 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

With no kwp, my team prediction is 

Bazunu 

THB Stephens bednarek Manning 

Downes Smallbone 

Brooks Stuart Armstrong 

Adam Armstrong 

Adams 

THB and Bednarek have been excellent together it’s completely ridiculous to break that partnership up to include Stephens. If he has to play play him at left or right back where he can do a job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Asssuming those are the teams. I still think Norwich will slip in there. They've beaten both WBA and Hull in the last couple of months and despite their loss against Boro last game (they were 1-0 before a red card) I still think they have the squad experience to do it.

Play offs are a lottery. Depends entirely who wants it more on the day.

Back to today, half paying attention from the Middle East.

1-1 prediction. 
Bazunu; THB, Stephens, Bednarek, Manning; Downes, Smallbone, Stu Armstrong; Adam Armstrong, Adams, Edozie (this is who I think will be picked rather who I think should). 😂

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If it is broke, don't fix it.

You say that, but this defence considered three goals against a poor Birmingham side a week ago.

And this team have shipped goals for fun in recent weeks. Downes coming back gives me a little more faith, but I’m far from convinced.

Would rather see Manning benched, but no real surprises in the lineup.

Ipswich currently drawing with 20 mins left, just posting this here before their inevitable 92nd minute winner :wave:

• Like 1

Manning gets selected to try to play football again. Not sure how. 
idiotic selection again and fail to win today and the automatics have gone. Stupid not to go back to the defensive line up that worked. Prepare for playoffs. 

Edited by DT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Would rather see Manning benched, but no real surprises in the lineup.

Ipswich currently drawing with 20 mins left, just posting this here before their inevitable 92nd minute winner :wave:

Jinxed it 

our best spell was with JB and THB at back - since that was disturbed we have not been the same yet we continue to keep them apart 

seems odd that having had such a poor game last week defensively we play the same defence 

• Like 1

Just now, Galway saint said:

our best spell was with JB and THB at back - since that was disturbed we have not been the same yet we continue to keep them apart 

seems odd that having had such a poor game last week defensively we play the same defence 

More like bonkers 

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-2 Sunderland - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-2 Sunderland - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic