Ralph Hasenhüttl new manager of VfL Wolfsburg

Disco Stu

1 minute ago, East Kent Saint said:

Looking a lot younger than his final days at Saints 😀

Both of those photos in the article were taken whilst he was at Saints. Good luck to the bloke though, always liked him and he did an excellent job with the resources at his disposal. The fact that we brought two different men in to replace him and both lost almost every game they played speaks volumes as to the job he did keeping us up with that squad.

• Like 21

Good luck Ralph,  liked him as a manager even when we weren't doing that well.

Should either have let him go (with dignity) at the end of the 21/22 season or stuck with him in 22/23 (buying a decent striker to replace Ings would also have helped)

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Both of those photos in the article were taken whilst he was at Saints. Good luck to the bloke though, always liked him and he did an excellent job with the resources at his disposal. The fact that we brought two different men in to replace him and both lost almost every game they played speaks volumes as to the job he did keeping us up with that squad.

I was going by the X posted on Other games thread ! He did look run down before he left , I wanted him to do well but he probably realised he wasn't going to get a decent striker .

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Good luck to him, will look out for his results.

On a related note, great to see Nigel Adkins doing well at Tranmere, they won at Wrexham yesterday.

He's really turned them around. Didn't expect anything less tbh. 

• Like 1

See he's replacing Niko Kovacs, who a few, including me quite fancied to replace him at Saints - funny old game isn't it.  I think the vast majority of Saints fans will wish Ralph all the very best, decent man at a decent club.  Always thought he did his best with diminishing returns here, and at the end had simply run out of steam and probably patience.  Hopefully draw them in Europe when we qualify in 2025/26 :)

• Haha 1

I've got a boat at Ocean Village and Ralph was my neighbour there (amusingly, Che and KWP are almost my neighbours in Winchester - 2 doors down and he told me not to tell them).  He was a lovely bloke, if you spoke to him, though very serious about football.  I liked him as a coach but sometimes people stay somewhere too long and I think that happened with Southampton (the true greats, Pep, Sir Alex, reinvent themselves every few years and their teams around them).

His boat was a big old Prestige but ugly as sin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, so22saint said:

I've got a boat at Ocean Village and Ralph was my neighbour there (amusingly, Che and KWP are almost my neighbours in Winchester - 2 doors down and he told me not to tell them).  He was a lovely bloke, if you spoke to him, though very serious about football.  I liked him as a coach but sometimes people stay somewhere too long and I think that happened with Southampton (the true greats, Pep, Sir Alex, reinvent themselves every few years and their teams around them).

I once bumped into him in the chandlery - presumably when he was fitting her out as he had a huge shopping list of items every boat needs. Was great to be able to personally thank him for the considerable effort and energy he put into the club. He did a great job keeping us up during the Gao years when there was no top-up money and no liquidity.

I hope his boat gave him some respite and a place to relax: I was very keen to avoid compromising his free time, so was short but heartfelt in our exchange.

Ultimately he probably should have left in the summer for his piece of mind and the sporting success of the club. Water under the bridge now. I hope he goes well at Wolfsburg.

• Like 1

I dont wish Hassenhuttl any luck whatsover, useless manager that has three club records of shame.

Lost the dressing room and happy to sit on his six figure weekly wage, over 12 months on gardening leave sucking millions out of the club.

He is the main factor in relegation, alongside the clowns in the dressing room that failed to sack him numerous times.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I dont wish Hassenhuttl any luck whatsover, useless manager that has three club records of shame.

Lost the dressing room and happy to sit on his six figure weekly wage, over 12 months on gardening leave sucking millions out of the club.

He is the main factor in relegation, alongside the clowns in the dressing room that failed to sack him numerous times.

What exactly is it you think Che Adams, Sekou Mara, Romain Perraud and Duje Caletta-Car were capable of last season?

48 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

You could also say he was the reason we didn’t go down sooner. It looked inevitable under Pellegrino, Hughes got lucky and we started his next season woefully. Then when we did go we got relegated immediately.

No investment in the squad, selling to buy, a clueless team running the club. When we did get some cash it was wasted on kids. He ran out of steam, unsurprisingly and probably should have been a parting of ways at the end of the season before he did leave. This crap that he was useless simply isn’t true 

• Like 16

It is disingenuous to limit our appreciation of Ralph to his ability to have kept us in the PL. He did far more than that and had us top of the league for a brief moment. Given Saints were a cash strapped club unable to buy decent players to fit the system he wanted to play, he did extremely well to fashion a team from our dross that at times looked like they could claim a top ten berth; alas even Ralph could not defy gravity indefinitely but he did not have to suffer the ignominy of relegation. Could he have kept us up? That's the million dollar question that will never be answered.

Especially I miss his press conferences that were always full of good humour and bon amis, an intelligent but humble man that rarely had a bad word to say about any body or anything.

Good luck Ralph and hope to see you around these parts soon.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, so22saint said:

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Boys going to need to know what theis boat looks like, think he is going to be having a different view in the wolfsberg dock.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 19.13.31.png

So Jones and Selles weren't contributing factors either?

Brief overview of the shit he had to work with here:

Took over the club in 19th place and with one win in our first 15 Premier League matches. His first game in charge was a 1-0 defeat to Cardiff, so it soon became one win in 16. He then beat Arsenal in his second match. Wasn't allowed any signings in January, we got weaker by loaning out Gabbiadini, but he wasn't really a Hasenhuttl player. Kept that squad up in 16th. We had just 9 points in December when he took over, we finished the season on 39 with the same group of players.

The next summer, we were obliged to sign Ings and then Hasenhuttl was only given two more permanent signings. Che Adams from Birmingham and Moussa Djenepo from Standard Liege. So, the same squad that barely stayed up the season before with only Djenepo, who fizzled out after a bright start and a hot and cold Adams to help keep our Premier League status. We finished 11th with 52 points. We did get KWP in on loan at the end of the January window and the impactful Jacob Maddox. But, we did have to sell Targett to get Adams and Gallagher, Clasie and Austin made up the Djenepo fee.

So, another summer comes around in 2020-21, how many permanent signings will Hasenhuttl get to bring in this window, after a couple of years in charge? 2. KWP permanently, which was key and Salisu, who didn't make his debut until February, the following year. So, he got to start the season without any strengthening to the squad, it got weaker again with the departure of Hojbjerg and Reed, who we replaced with Diallo in October, while Walcott came in on loan in October and Minamino in February. Understandably, the team dropped to 15th, but still stayed up comfortably with 43 points and made an FA Cup semi-final.

Well into year three now, and we see Ings, our top scorer of the last few years sold for £30m to Villa and Vestergaard, who became king of the diagonal balls that season sold to Leicester for £15m. We bargain shopped their immediate replacements in A. Armstrong for £15m from Blackburn and Lyanco for £6m from Torino. We spent the remaining cash on Perraud, Simeu, Livramento and Small. Again, shopping around for bargains. Fortunately, Livramento turned out well and we stumbled across Broja on loan. We stayed 15th with 40 points. JWP was our top scorer with 10 in the league and Adams was second with 7, so we didn't really replace Ings.

Now, the final summer, and finally some investment and some signings, but it wasn't the right investment, nor signings. Hasenhuttl loses his backroom staff and has the likes of Selles forced upon him by Sports Republic. Then we made 9 signings in the summer, but of those 9, only Lavia was of any Premier League standard and that didn't really enhance the squad, as we lost Romeu. So, the same struggling squad, just got a bit more bloated and that's when it looked like Hasenhuttl had finally given up, as even with the finances now coming, the team was still getting worse and he didn't have much say in the players being brought in, so was understandably frustrated when those players turned out to be crap.

Essentially, Hasenhuttl was the one positive we had at the club for a number of years. He kept us up despite Gao, despite Semmens, despite Reed, despite Wilson, despite Krueger and despite all the crap he had to work with on the pitch. It was a shame it ended the way it did and he did look like a man who had lost the passion, which was a key part of his character and management. However, we now wish him well, it was a good ride.

• Like 28

Why would he not take his wages that he was entitled to under the contract that both parties agreed to? We sacked him, not the other way around.

We had 12 points from 14 games when he left. We only gained 13 more from 24 matches. Not saying we would have stayed up but we would have been a lot closer under him. And who knows, maybe Sulemana and Alcaraz would have flourished under him and galvanised us to safety, like he managed back in 2019.

• Like 7

Wish him all the best, glad to see him back in football. I think we drained the fuck out of him in the Gao years, he got us somewhat stable in the PL. Typically once we had some money to spend under him, we got it all wrong.

I still think we'd have made much more of a fight if we'd kept him though, we totally wasted that world cup period and the January transfer window. That's what killed our season.

• Like 10

The idea that Hasenhuttl had some hardship working is here is comical, two 9-0s and six defeats in a row ! ums up his achievements.

Woeful team management that saw us concede goals for fun.

He had plenty to 'work with' but just wasnt up to the job and lost the dressing room.

It was a farce that Semmens who knew full well how the players had turned against Hasenhuttl allowed it to continue and put us on the road to relegation.

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

The idea that Hasenhuttl had some hardship working is here is comical, two 9-0s and six defeats in a row ! ums up his achievements.

He had plenty to 'work with' but just wasnt up to the job and lost the dressing room.

It was a farce that Semmens who knew full well how the players had turned against Hasenhuttl allowed it to continue and put us on the road to relegation.

Just as well that Selles and Jones were able to get so much more out of the team he kept mid-table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Did you see the team that lost 9-0 to Utd? Starting Jankewitz (who, last I checked couldn't get into a team in the Swiss 2nd division) and Ramsay (a league 1 standard player), down to 10 men within 30 seconds and 9 men for the last 3/4 goals. A squad ravaged so much we had 2 keepers on the bench and the remaining 7 players with a couple of PL appearances between them all. Plus 2 CBs most would agree are now playing at their level 

Yeah  the first 9-0 was a horror show, but that 2nd one, you can't blame on Ralph. Thats just bias.

Like most others here, I wish him well and I do believe he should've gone at the summer before. We broke him, and he looked a defeated man at the end. We'd have gone down a long while beforehand without his passion and efforts. Good to see him back in the game looking healthy and refreshed.

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Once those players were released from the shackles of hell from working for Ralph Hasenhutl they really repaid us with such fantastic performances and victories to power us up the Premier League table. They definitely did that, right?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Did you see the team that lost 9-0 to Utd? Starting Jankewitz (who, last I checked couldn't get into a team in the Swiss 2nd division) and Ramsay (a league 1 standard player), down to 10 men within 30 seconds and 9 men for the last 3/4 goals. A squad ravaged so much we had 2 keepers on the bench and the remaining 7 players with a couple of PL appearances between them all. Plus 2 CBs most would agree are now playing at their level 

Yeah  the first 9-0 was a horror show, but that 2nd one, you can't blame on Ralph. Thats just bias.

Indeed. And not to forget that at least two of the Utd goals were down to dubious (to put it politely) refereeing. 

• Like 9

He will be driving a Volkswagen then I guess. 

Great manager take him back in a heartbeat.

Been watching a few Bunds  league games and apart from the top three, the rest would struggle in the Championship. 

Really surprised he never got a shot back in the prem. 

He was on Man Utd shortlist at some point if memory serves correct, and if you believe the press. 

Best of luck to him

Edited by Saint Gifford
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Often thought Saints “ LOYAL” was a bit of a misnomer.

• Like 4

The relegation was very much to do with who we replaced Ralph with. We were on the slippery slope with him in charge, and replacing him was at the time the correct decision, he looked a broken man bereft of ideas, but the appointment of Mad Nate over an experienced Prem manager was a brain fart of astronomical proportions, ( Rasmus isn't half as clever as her thinks he is ), and then to go for promoting Selles put the final nails in the coffin.

• Like 6

On 17/03/2024 at 17:46, RedArmy said:

Will he cry if he beats Bayern Munich. 

One can hope, as it would be an historical moment for someone who survived as our manager for a longer time than many others who fell by 

the wayside and he succeeded despite playing with a disfunctional squad, at a time when there was very little money available to rebuild the side.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He will be joined by Craig Fleming and also his son Patrick who had to hang his boots up at just 26 due to health problems. Big career step for them both.

https://www.vfl-wolfsburg.de/en/newsdetails/news-detail/detail/news/new-assistant-coaches-appointed

This the same Fleming (along with Davis / Watson) people used to go on about not being good enough, who Ralph didnt trust etc? 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 22:22, SaintsLoyal said:

200.gif?cid=e180674ad1azk5vv7cs7mqynqdhl

All in all a really good manager for us, who ended up staying for 18 months longer than he should have. 

More importantly, a top man who gave his all for the club. 

A shame how it ended - let down by a load - but I will forever wish him well. Glad he went back to germany rather than taking over someone like Palace or West Ham! 

Under different ownership, dare I say it SR who are willing to dip into their pocket, who knows how it'll have ended.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...