Would we have lost....

benjii

Think we would have won. We really miss his outfield play. We won against them both times with him in the team, and mccarthy is terrifying with the ball in front of goal.

• Haha 3

Macca did very well but I don’t think there was anything spectacular about his saves. The first one was very good to be fair, the second was routine and the shot was pretty much straight at him. It just shows how levels of expectations around shot saving have dropped somewhat.

I thought where AMC really excelled today was his command of balls into the box, he was very strong and very assured in claiming crosses, and it seemed to put the defence at ease. I also thought his long ball distribution was pretty decent too, first half especially he clipped a couple of balls out to KWP which took play right up the pitch and put us on the attack.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Macca did very well but I don’t think there was anything spectacular about his saves. The first one was very good to be fair, the second was routine and the shot was pretty much straight at him. It just shows how levels of expectations around shot saving have dropped somewhat.

I thought where AMC really excelled today was his command of balls into the box, he was very strong and very assured in claiming crosses, and it seemed to put the defence at ease. I also thought his long ball distribution was pretty decent too, first half especially he clipped a couple of balls out to KWP which took play right up the pitch and put us on the attack.

He also gave the ball straight to a WBA player a couple of times close to goal (the second one almost in the penalty area), and he got lucky that they were incompetent enough not to punish us. But apart from that I agree he played well.

14 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

He also gave the ball straight to a WBA player a couple of times close to goal (the second one almost in the penalty area), and he got lucky that they were incompetent enough not to punish us. But apart from that I agree he played well.

And that's why you can't really speculate whether Baz would've been better or worse today.  The saves Macca made you would expect any keeper at this level to make, but as we all know it's a lottery with Baz as to whether he stops routine shots or not.  Baz would almost certainly not have made the stray passes that Macca did, but he wouldn't have commanded our area the way Macca did either...  Let's just be happy with the clean sheet, and hope we get 2 more in our next couple of games

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

And that's why you can't really speculate whether Baz would've been better or worse today.  The saves Macca made you would expect any keeper at this level to make, but as we all know it's a lottery with Baz as to whether he stops routine shots or not.  Baz would almost certainly not have made the stray passes that Macca did, but he wouldn't have commanded our area the way Macca did either...  Let's just be happy with the clean sheet, and hope we get 2 more in our next couple of games

And that’s the long and short of it.

On to Friday 🫣

You have to say probably yes. They were quite straight forward saves but the type that Baz would have let in.

You have to wonder where we would have finished this year if we had a decent keeper between the sticks all season.

31 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You have to say probably yes. They were quite straight forward saves but the type that Baz would have let in.

You have to wonder where we would have finished this year if we had a decent keeper between the sticks all season.

Promoted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

Also....had Baz not made a class save we would have lost WBA away earlier this season...

Weren't we 2-0 up when he made that save? Bit of a stretch to say we'd have lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Completely different game if he plays. You can’t just sit and pretend ‘what if’, as if he’d be facing the exact same shots. 

It’s the old ‘sliding doors’ / parallel universe theory.

14 hours ago, The Kraken said:

You're right of course, but the issue is that Bazunu has let in goals that if he HAD saved them, would have also been in that "unspectacular" category. He lets in absolutely routine shots. 

Then there was the commanding of the box which you mentioned and the distribution wasn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. As i've always said, the benefits of Bazunus fabled passing ability do not justify putting up with the lack of basic goalkeeping skills. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

None. Fourth official stops him coming on wearing unapproved Blue Suede Shoes.

You lay off them!

Incidentally my big sister had that song as a 78rpm record. Like most 78s it got smashed. As will we all after the match on Friday 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a pointless post. 

Bazunu has made errors, but the fact that McCarthy has come back into the fold doesn’t make him a better keeper or class by any means.

Alex McCarthy has been piss poor for years. One good game doesn’t change that overnight. A bit like some were creaming themselves that Sekou Mara had potential after the Huddersfield game - he’s still shit.

This deserves to be on the Bazunu chat.

Arguably Bazunu has played two games vs West Brom this season and been apart of those six points gained. You can’t really base a judgement on a game he hasn’t played. 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What a pointless post. 

Bazunu has made errors, but the fact that McCarthy has come back into the fold doesn’t make him a better keeper or class by any means.

Alex McCarthy has been piss poor for years. One good game doesn’t change that overnight. A bit like some were creaming themselves that Sekou Mara had potential after the Huddersfield game - he’s still shit.

This deserves to be on the Bazunu chat.

Arguably Bazunu has played two games vs West Brom this season and been apart of those six points gained. You can’t really base a judgement on a game he hasn’t played. 😂

You can base it on the fact that there were 2 or 3 chances for West Brom yesterday that required reflex saves that Bazunu simply never makes.  Either anecdotally or statistically.

56 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

You can base it on the fact that there were 2 or 3 chances for West Brom yesterday that required reflex saves that Bazunu simply never makes.  Either anecdotally or statistically.

Is it possible to make a save anecdotally? That's not a phrase I've ever heard and now I'm intrigued to see what it looks like.

Also your statement isn't fact because it's impossible to say what would have happened if Bazunu was in goal. 

You can summise what you think might have happened but that doesn't mean it's an actual fact.

What a weird thread.

• Like 1

To put this thread in context, imagine Saints are defending deep in our own half about five years ago. We win the ball back and hoof it hard up the pitch. Shane Long is loitering around the halfway line, he sprints 50 yards to chase it down, leaves two defenders eating dust, collects the ball and then spoons it over the crossbar and into the car park. Saying Bazunu wouldn’t have made yesterday’s saves is like saying Charlie Austin would have scored the shot that Long missed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

To put this thread in context, imagine Saints are defending deep in our own half about five years ago. We win the ball back and hoof it hard up the pitch. Shane Long is loitering around the halfway line, he sprints 50 yards to chase it down, leaves two defenders eating dust, collects the ball and then spoons it over the crossbar and into the car park. Saying Bazunu wouldn’t have made yesterday’s saves is like saying Charlie Austin would have scored the shot that Long missed.

It'll be interesting to find the first person who thinks this imaginary Long effort doesn't go over the bar. 🙂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is it possible to make a save anecdotally? That's not a phrase I've ever heard and now I'm intrigued to see what it looks like.

Also your statement isn't fact because it's impossible to say what would have happened if Bazunu was in goal. 

You can summise what you think might have happened but that doesn't mean it's an actual fact.

What a weird thread.

“Remember that amazing one-handed reflex save Bazunu made v XYZ?”

no I don’t because it has literally never ever happened.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

“Remember that amazing one-handed reflex save Bazunu made v XYZ?”

no I don’t because it has literally never ever happened.

Now your obsession and prejudice and selective memory is leading you to talk crap. Because it has literally ever happened.

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/30998/12992677/phenomenal-save-from-bazunu-saints-gk-makes-top-stop

Or is this some other Bazunu?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t help but think you’re slightly missing the point of this very forum you moderate.

There must be hundreds, nay thousands of previous posts on here along the lines of “if that shot falls to <other player> he finishes it”. Or, in another context: “how did Che Adams miss a header from less than a foot away? Would any other striker miss that?”

Not entirely sure why this fictional scenario is quite so different to those previous others, but whatever. It’s a discussion forum anyway. Would be fucking boring if we stuck to facts only.

• Like 1