Saints 0-0 Liverpool - Reactions

Dalek2003

MotM vs Liverpool (Home 2016/17)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (Home 2016/17)

Straw man. It wasn't about going for it; but showing a bit more intent where space opened up -and at least retaining possession. Our midfield never got a foothold in the game.

We looked scared in possession and can't have kept the ball for more than a string of five passes many times during the match. I didn't expect us to go toe to toe with Liverpool, but you could almost count on one hand the number of times we managed to move the ball out of our own half (clearances aside), let alone the number of times we actually reached the final third.

We are 'mid' table at the moment. 10th would be a great final position. The real disappointment was not beating Hull.

Very true and we've played Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal and last seasons champions already in the first 12 games. Think our next 10-12 games look favourable and a chance to pick up plenty of points.

Lucky to get the draw from that one. Pretty poor overall performance, especially our midfield was non-existent at times. The back line, Romeu and Forster did good but otherwise not impressed at all. The most simple passes and touches went wrong today, play this match 10 times and you lose 7 of them the way we played today.

Its ok to get outplayed by a better team but especially in possession of the ball it was just dire at moments today.

It was a point many of us would have taken before the game, defensively we were superb - great return from the two full backs who were on the money most of the game. Fonte and Virgil both gave a masterclass in reading of the game and positional play.

Our midfield didn't get into the game and lost two many 2nd balls in the middle. Romeu couldn't do it all on his own.

That meant that we never really got out and into attacking situations, Austin was horribly isolated and struggled to make any telling impact. From an attacking point of view, it was a trash watch, but defensively superb - a proper backs to the wall display.

This Liverpool side will score loads this season and I think Matip has also improved them defensively, so they're a decent shout for doing something.

Ref shocking. Liverpool messed up their finishing today to give us the point. We were very well drilled in defensive midfield duties so hats off to Davis, Hojburg and Romeu. Our strikers are not up to the job - I think Boufal will get there and will shake things up a bit. But we desperately need to get another Striker in January - not an easy job and should have been addressed.

Ref shocking. Liverpool messed up their finishing today to give us the point. We were very well drilled in defensive midfield duties so hats off to Davis, Hojburg and Romeu. Our strikers are not up to the job - I think Boufal will get there and will shake things up a bit. But we desperately need to get another Striker in January - not an easy job and should have been addressed.

No striker would have done anything today. Hojbjerg and Davis didnt have great games either.

Of course plenty are hoping the transfer fairy is going to deliver a top end striker in Jan, as if any club are just going to happily sell their prized asset to us because we'd like them but today it would have made little difference.

We never got a chance to impose any style on the game as they were so well drilled that they swarmed over us forcing turnover after turnover in the middle 1/3 denying the front men any service.

At the back we looked excellent but no doubt they'll still be some tools who think Martina is better than Cedric.

A27 closed at Worthing due ti a road traffic accident so I gave up trying to get to the game and went home....At kick off time I had to leave the house as I can't listen to any commentary on Saints.

Too scared to look at the result till just now, delighted with a point. Well done Saints.....a point gained.

It's odd, other than Austin missing from that Cédric cross, I can't remember us fluffing any easy chances. Yet people are saying we need another striker.

We didn't score because we set up to defend against a very potent attacking team.

Sensible and correct post but sadly lost on the moronic element of this forum

Thought we both defended very well and rode our luck

Liverpool are a different beast to the side of last season and a 0-0 (after a couple of defeats) is a very decent result

VvD my MoM

Rom was good

Cedric was good

Fonte was good

Thought redmond and boufal were OK

Austin offered little up front and barely held the ball up.

but decent result IMO

I haven't seen any of it (MoTD for me tonight), so I presume from this, and other forum comments, that:

We defended well against a good attacking Liverpool side

Our [attacking] midfield weren't on best form - missing Tadic?

No potency for us up front as a result - we're not a 'lone striker' side, really.

We did well to get a draw.

Incidentally, nothing on this forum about how Forster did today. I read that he made some saves...?

interesting points' date=' i wondered during the game if we sat back as part of a plan because Liverpool's strength is hitting teams on the break and, as they did today, struggle to break down teams who sit back.[/quote']

Which is what a lot of teams did against us last could of years (and this year, a little bit).

Seems to work.

I haven't seen any of it (MoTD for me tonight), so I presume from this, and other forum comments, that:

We defended well against a good attacking Liverpool side

Our [attacking] midfield weren't on best form - missing Tadic?

No potency for us up front as a result - we're not a 'lone striker' side, really.

We did well to get a draw.

Incidentally, nothing on this forum about how Forster did today. I read that he made some saves...?

Our best players today, imho, were Fonte, Cedric and Forster. Those 3 really were exceptional. Forster made several excellent saves, the best of which was a diving save of a powerful Mane shot heading for the top corner of the goal. Cedric showed great pace and skill, and Fonte made some unbelievable saving tackles and interceptions to keep us in the game.

Puel had a game plan and it worked. Wish he had one where we get 75% of the ball and score at will. Good effort all round today, difficult to pick a MotM and unfair to say anybody played badly. Highlight for me was Forster's save from Mane, lowlight Austin's miss from 5yds with the whole goal at his mercy. We didn't merit a win but it would have been nice to snatch it if only to see Klopp go ballistic.

Very lucky point - Liverpool missed three, may be four attempts that they should have scored from.

We got lucky, but have probably earned that luck over the season to date.

That said, some really good performances and I think Puel would have learnt a lot.

A couple of posts slating Boufal :scared::scared: - Thought he was incredible with the ball. Will have to learn which players makes which runs etc, but technically brilliant and could be a massive massive player for us. Hope we don't fall into the Tadic or Boufal trap.

Decent point,, but didn't get the celebrating at the end. It was a point at home to Liverpool - Nothing more.

The fact we need to celebrate a HOME draw with Liverpool :?

Another game with serious questions about our attacking play

Had to comment on this. Liverpool have paid £100m for four of our players and have a huge budget for players and wages. To hold our own against the odds is cause for celebration, not an excuse for another moan. I'd rather watch our team and enjoy knowing we have home-grown talent in our squad than follow Liverpool any day. I see no pride in supporting a team that is put together by trying to buy your opponents best players and then finding you still can't beat them!!!

I assume our plan was to sit deep defend well and counter when we could. We got the first part spot on but our counter attacking was awful today.

Several times we broke out. A saints player raced up field, reached the Liverpool area, looked up and realised he was basically on his own surrounded by pool defenders. It was strange because generally this season we've countered as a unit very well.

Thought we were better first half second half we just seemed to want to bend over and take it.

Disappointed with Hoj today I'm a big fan in generally but he was poor today.

If the plan was to counter I'd rather we had started with Long.

Liverpools attacking options are fcking ridiculously. Sturridge and as Orgi as impact subs I mean come on...

Good point and a shut out against probably the most attacking side in the league. I didn't have to witness one of our old boys giving it large after scoring I any abuse from Liverpool fans after a tonking... On balance a good day.

Very lucky point - Liverpool missed three, may be four attempts that they should have scored from.

We got lucky, but have probably earned that luck over the season to date.

That said, some really good performances and I think Puel would have learnt a lot.

A couple of posts slating Boufal :scared::scared: - Thought he was incredible with the ball. Will have to learn which players makes which runs etc, but technically brilliant and could be a massive massive player for us. Hope we don't fall into the Tadic or Boufal trap.

Decent point,, but didn't get the celebrating at the end. It was a point at home to Liverpool - Nothing more.

There was a great little bit second half were Boufal turned several Liverpool players inside out. I think he just needs to get more used to the physical side get muscled of the ball a few times but he will come good I think.

Back from the game, and dried out!

My thoughts...

Back 4 plus Fraser were all excellent. I thought Romeu was fantastic battling away, absolute bundle of energy and commitment. My mom but can understand why others picked vvd.

I personally thought our starting 11 was our best team - the team I would have gone for anyway!

Boufal is still finding his feet, a few skill displays, an embarrassing dive, ok. 6/10

Redmond, not really effective today. I wish he would take players on and run at them more often, better when he does that. 5.5/10

Biggest disappointment for me - PEH. Kept giving the ball away - start of the second half almost cost us the game with a crap pass - defence got him out of jail. Tried very hard, but not his best game today. 5/10

Steven Davis, 6.5/10 - solid and unspectacular.

Charlie Austin - ploughed a lone furrow, never going to get much played like this. Missed our only chance, should have at least got it on target. 6/10

Needed pace up front to hit them on the break - long looked sharp (& quick) when he came on. Ditto Jrod. 7/10

Overall decent team display, i'd have taken a draw. We got one, better lucky than good with the result. Liverpool strikers had our shooting boots on!

Brilliant defensive display. Happy

I agree it was a good result and accept we weren't going to get too many opportunities to score due to the defensive set up BUT, what was concerning was how we were second to almost every ball. Liverpool looked sharper and quicker all over the pitch. As others have said Austin is not your man for that lone break away striker role, may as well have shoved redmond up there......even though he had a terrible game. The most frustrating thing was the lack of support when we did get forward - absolutely nothing for the guy with the ball to pass to. Liverpool are known to have a slightly wobbly defence under pressure so surely, even if we are playing a cautious game, you go for it when you get a chance.

On the plus side we were immense defensively.

Long seemed to inject some energy which was great to see.