The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Hadn't realised Claudio Ranieri had been linked. What would people's opinion be if we appointed him? That's some experience, and plenty of European experience as well.

More than happy. Has a better record than Koeman, he knows the Premiership too.

I think Koeman appears a better match, but Ranieri would on paper be an excellent appointment in terms of making a statement of intent. The only issue I have is that he has a history littered with short term appointments and I would like to see some managerial stability if that is atall possible.

But he doesn't know English. It would mean another translator. Remember Ranieri's translator at Chelsea? The one who didn't translate what Ranieri said but made up his own answers.

Haha yeah well that's what I was thinking! I only just realised he was in the poll in the thread too and I voted for Keoman duh :lol: I'd change my vote now if I could.

Still, I guess as he's more prestigious possibly, it's harder to get him. But looks interesting that the odds have shortened. Would definitely keep me happy.

There's a scam at race meetings where the car parks are targeted with leaflets from ITK horsey types advertising information and tips for so much a month or week.

Just to prove how good they are, they give you a tip for a particular race.

Unfortunately, every horse in that race is covered across the car park so some of the people think that these people are ITK.

The very same thing happens on this board with rumours from skate sleepers doing the rounds every day

Although you probably all knew this anyway

'kin 'ell, hardly difficult to work that one out.

It wasn't.

But everytime I said MP was going there you said I was "bed wetting".

Can we no longer discuss stuff and have an opinion? Or can we only comment on fact?

Who do you want as Manager, or do you not really care?

It wasn't.

But everytime I said MP was going there you said I was "bed wetting".

Can we no longer discuss stuff and have an opinion? Or can we only comment on fact?

Who do you want as Manager, or do you not really care?

Koeman but it's irrelevant who I want as I have no input and they'll be gone in a few years anyway.

You p*ss the bed at every given opportunity but I've yet to see the mass exodus due to the board caving and cheap option manager that you constantly prattle on about.

But he doesn't know English. It would mean another translator. Remember Ranieri's translator at Chelsea? The one who didn't translate what Ranieri said but made up his own answers.

He didn't speak English when he was first at Chelsea but wasn't too bad by the time he left, if I remember correctly.

But that was 10 years ago - his English is probably a bit better now.

His English is fine, it improved a lot during the 4 years at Chelsea from 2000 to 2004.

Here is an interview he did with the BBC's Football Focus in circa 2008 when he was Juventus manager...

[video=youtube;u-f3Xt6E_r0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-f3Xt6E_r0

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think Koeman appears a better match, but Ranieri would on paper be an excellent appointment in terms of making a statement of intent. The only issue I have is that he has a history littered with short term appointments and I would like to see some managerial stability if that is atall possible.

Managerial stability and Saints don't seem to mix, saying that most clubs seem to change their manager after a few years at the most these days.

I agree though, more than anything I really would love to see us appoint a decent manager who actually wants to be here and wants to stick around.

If Cortese had left before Adkins was unfairly sacked I reckon we could of had that with him, but we can't change the past and I've finally learnt to let that one go and accept it would be crazy to go back now.

Ranieri might be a proven manager but surely wouldn't be a long term appointment. 2 years at best. I wonder how long Koeman would stick around if he was appointed and had a good season? Not long would be my guess.

The question is, Are there any potential managerial candidates out there, who could come and do a good job, and then actually want to stick around long term?

Koeman but it's irrelevant who I want as I have no input and they'll be gone in a few years anyway.

You p*ss the bed at every given opportunity but I've yet to see the mass exodus due to the board caving and cheap option manager that you constantly prattle on about.

What cheap option Manager is that then?

Managerial stability and Saints don't seem to mix, saying that most clubs seem to change their manager after a few years at the most these days.

I agree though, more than anything I really would love to see us appoint a decent manager who actually wants to be here and wants to stick around.

If Cortese had left before Adkins was unfairly sacked I reckon we could of had that with him, but we can't change the past and I've finally learnt to let that one go and accept it would be crazy to go back now.

Ranieri might be a proven manager but surely wouldn't be a long term appointment. 2 years at best. I wonder how long Koeman would stick around if he was appointed and had a good season? Not long would be my guess.

The question is, Are there any potential managerial candidates out there, who could come and do a good job, and then actually want to stick around long term?

You're right of course - there's nothing to say Koeman will last. I guess the big question right now is, can the Board get an inspiring managerial appointment across the line or will we see confirmation of the lack of ambition that many fear.

Sports Tonight Live? It seems that Gordon "Flash" Watson is one of their anchormen so perhaps he is ITK.

I love this quote: "an effervescent,never-say-die forward, the sort the crowd always love and, although not the most skilful of front-runners, he had a swashbuckling style that unnerved defences." Thanks FF :)

http://www.sportstonightlive.com/

Edited by Leslie Charteris

He didn't speak English when he was first at Chelsea but wasn't too bad by the time he left, if I remember correctly.

But that was 10 years ago - his English is probably a bit better now.

It seems Ranieri wouldn't need a translator which is a shame as it would be good to see the Fake Interpreter from the Nelson Mandela Commemoration back in action again, if only for the deaf.

Much as I like the idea of Koeman, we should be open to the possibility that the selection panel produce a stronger candidate. if the rumour is correct that SFC are losing interest, there should be a good reason for that and not cost or lack of commitment to squad retention/team building. If someone else has emerged as a quality candidate and the best person possible, that would be fine with me.

If it's someone of a similar quality and reputation to Koeman people won't care. The disappointment will come if we get Toshack/Mackay/Bruce/Garcia - that's a very different proposition and signals that the great past 5 years are definitely going to the peak for the club, for the time being at least...

Koeman, Ranieri - top quality coaches. Bruce - been there, done that candidate - would probably command respect from the players and certainly not a bad choice (but he is not from abroad, so unlikely). John Toshack - stick to radio punditry. We don't want any Cardiff, Brighton, etc rejects thank you! I really, really hope it's the Dutchman. That would be a serious statement of intent from the board.

Will Friday be the day?

I think this site is gonna kick-off if Koeman isn't announced now.

Will be so so so dissappointed if it turns out to be a cheapo managerial appointment in the Oscar Garcia/John Toshack mould.

If it's someone of a similar quality and reputation to Koeman people won't care. The disappointment will come if we get Toshack/Mackay/Bruce/Garcia - that's a very different proposition and signals that the great past 5 years are definitely going to the peak for the club, for the time being at least...

Well not Oscar Garcia, he now manages in Israel for Maccabi Tel Aviv.

IMO if Koeman was given a second interview then it seems the board are pretty sure they want him. The snag may be personal terms, but with the a World Cup a matter of days away I wonder if we will hear something over the next few hours, let alone days.

I am just totally and utterly bored of this whole thing now. I don't think I'll be disappointed or upset if a sh*t manager is appointed, just indifferent. If someone like Koeman is appointed however I will definitely start to get a bit excited again. For now though I have just stopped keeping track of rumours regarding football.

I think the days of almost any club having managerial stability are long gone. Either the manager has a poor run of games and gets sacked or as we've seen with mopo if the manager does well he'll jump ship soon as a better offer comes in. Might as well just assume a managers shelf life is about 18 months and take each appointment from there.

IMHO, Adkins would have stayed "loyal" to Saints. If nothing else he thought the paper his contract was written on meant something. I expect his mindset is now somewhat different after the way Cortese ditched him.

I think this site is gonna kick-off if Koeman isn't announced now.

Will be so so so dissappointed if it turns out to be a cheapo managerial appointment in the Oscar Garcia/John Toshack mould.

ronald koeman, the greatest manager we never had

IMHO, Adkins would have stayed "loyal" to Saints. If nothing else he thought the paper his contract was written on meant something. I expect his mindset is now somewhat different after the way Cortese ditched him.

Nah, if he had done well and a big club had come in for him, he would have been off.

Adkins left S****horpe the moment a bigger club came in for him.

If he done as well as MP, he would have been gone also. Would have handled it miles better but he would have gone all the same

If he done as well as MP, he would have been gone also. Would have handled it miles better but he would have gone all the same

Harsh on Adkins. He actually was very reluctant to leave S****horpe and the deal stalled for a while when Cortese tried to play hardball. IMO he would have stayed for years at Saints if Cortese hadn't forced him out. Ok, of course he would have gone if say Man United had come in for him, but not an 'also ran' club like Spurs.

As the new Alex Ferguson and the next great English manager it was inevitable that One of the worlds greatest clubs would have snapped him up sooner rather than later,

Edited by Turkish

Harsh on Adkins. He actually was very reluctant to leave S****horpe and the deal stalled for a while when Cortese tried to play hardball. IMO he would have stayed for years at Saints if Cortese hadn't forced him out. Ok, of course he would have gone if say Man United had come in for him, but not an 'also ran' club like Spurs.

Cortese wasn't 'playing hardball' he was being a c*nt. He tried to make Adkins resign to avoid paying S****horpe compensation, the honourable man that he is he refused to as he wanted things to be done correctly as we had approached S****horpe. If difference between playing hardball and trying to screw people over.

Yes I fully agree. People seem to have forgotten just how much Adkins did for us - and then he was treated in an appalling manner by Cortese. I doubt he would have left us for Spurs or similar in the way that MP has done.

Well hopefully we get someone decent as I've heard we have spoken to john toshack off two people now, hope its a joke

To be fair, I hope they've spoken to many managers before coming to a decision. It's inevitable that one or two 'faces' will appear in Southampton and/or will meet the board somewhere else, therefore it's inevitable that some dullard will report it to someone and it spreads as "they're the next manager", especially with the borefest that is Twitter.

So yes, hopefully we have spoken to someone like him as well to balance the pile of candidates up before making their final decision.