Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 93

Thread: Norwich v Saints Build up Thread

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    7,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Norwich v Saints Build up Thread

    I suppose we had better shuffle on to the next one Boys and Girls.

    Despite their lowly position this is no walk over, not that we walk over teams anymore, they certainly have some fire in the belly for their seemingly futile fight to stay in the league.

    Hoping itís one of those topsy turvy entertaining games which have popped up in the past between us, as I get to tick another ground off my list.

  2. #2

    Default

    We are **** but they are ****er

    1-1

  3. #3

    Default

    McCarthy
    KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand
    Hoj, JWP,
    Boufal, Armstrong,
    Ings, Adams

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,944

    Default Norwich v Saints Build up Thread

    2-2

    I wonder which RBs are not match fit this week?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Despite their lowly position this is no walk over, not that we walk over teams anymore.
    When did we ever walk over teams?? I reckon this will be a score draw and 1 point closer to safety.

  6. #6

    Default

    Generally enjoyed my trips to Norwich over the years but I don't remember winning many there, 2-0 league one and the 5-4 win in 94, don't remember any others and can't see us winning this either, will go for 1-1 , they have looked good in recent games so I'd take a point.

    Armstrong back for Djenepo, drop Boufal as well.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,697

    Default

    Must win. Probably won’t but need Armstrong back to give us a chance. Ings really needs to start finding the net again or his England spot is in jeopardy. At the moment it looks like DCL and Greenwood could be ahead of him, as Southgate likes the younger player. I still think we are one win from safety though we appear to be limping over the line.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,138

    Default

    Please no Boufal.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloggy saint View Post
    When did we ever walk over teams?? I reckon this will be a score draw and 1 point closer to safety.
    Villa and Palace away were as comfortable as could be

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    McCarthy
    KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand
    Hoj, JWP,
    Boufal, Armstrong,
    Ings, Adams
    Same team I'd go for.

    I think that Valery is actually quite a good prospect as a rwb but doesn't have the positioning to play in a back 4. Give Walker-Peters a chance.

    No chance Adams will start but I'd like to see it.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Villa and Palace away were as comfortable as could be
    Ok, we've had isolated comfortable wins but the suggestion was that we used to regularly walk over opponents and that simply isn't the case. I've been a Saints fan since 1975 and in all that time, apart from a couple of purple patches it's been year after year of struggle. I really don't understand why people expect anything different.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the concourse, complaining about the concourse
    Posts
    2,270

    Default

    Agreed we should drop Long for this one, probably for Adams.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,645

    Default

    A lot depends on fitness. If Armstrong is out, probably play JWP with Boufal and Smallbone with Hojbjerg, assuming Smallbone's recovered. Or give Adams a chance at #10.

    If Armstrong is ok, just a question of the RB choice - Valery (most likely unless it's decided his fitness isn't back) KWP or JWP with Smallbone DM.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    A lot depends on fitness. If Armstrong is out, probably play JWP with Boufal and Smallbone with Hojbjerg, assuming Smallbone's recovered. Or give Adams a chance at #10.

    If Armstrong is ok, just a question of the RB choice - Valery (most likely unless it's decided his fitness isn't back) KWP or JWP with Smallbone DM.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    A lot depends on fitness. If Armstrong is out, probably play JWP with Boufal and Smallbone with Hojbjerg, assuming Smallbone's recovered. Or give Adams a chance at #10.

    If Armstrong is ok, just a question of the RB choice - Valery (most likely unless it's decided his fitness isn't back) KWP or JWP with Smallbone DM.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No way should Val be rewarded for a ghastly error with another start. RH has always stated that when youngsters get a chance they should take it or pay the price (words to that effect), so he needs dropping. However, I am wondering if RH is the messiah everyone believes anyway?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    However, I am wondering if RH is the messiah everyone believes anyway?
    No. He is just a very naughty boy.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    No way should Val be rewarded for a ghastly error with another start. RH has always stated that when youngsters get a chance they should take it or pay the price (words to that effect), so he needs dropping. However, I am wondering if RH is the messiah everyone believes anyway?
    I doubt KWP would have done any better against Saint-Maximin. To be frank, it's just a toss-up between those two unless Ralph (in whom I do trust) reverts to our best RB at present, who is JWP.

    But that depletes us in midfield which we can ill afford with Redmond and Djenepo out and Boufal not creating much. I hope Smallbone will be back as he's showed promise. And obviously we desperately need Armstrong.

    Depending on fitness and availability, I'd like to see

    McCarthy
    Valery/KWP Stephens Bednarek Bertrand
    Smallbone Hojbjerg
    Armstrong JWP
    Long Ings

    Boufal, Adams, Romeu, Gunn, Obafemi, Valery/KWP, Vestergaard

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  18. #18

    Default

    We really need to win, ultimately I think we will, pick them off on the counter attack, solid 2-0 away win.

  19. #19

    Default

    They haven't really got anyone like Antonio or Haller so our CBs should cope better.

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    They haven't really got anyone like Antonio or Haller so our CBs should cope better.
    & they play it out from the back, so we should be able to press them.

    I'd stick with Long up top for this one.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,835

    Default

    They have improved of late have Liverpool a game and beat Leicester head says draw but think weíll Nick it 2-1.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    29,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    2-2

    I wonder which RBs are not match fit this week?
    KWP canít be as he hasnít played since missing one game through injury. Valery is the only match fit one we have. Letís see.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,538

    Default

    If a football match breaks out, they play it better than us and will probably win. If we keep it tight and ugly we might get something.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    If a football match breaks out, they play it better than us and will probably win. If we keep it tight and ugly we might get something.
    No they don't

  25. #25

    Default

    Valery deserves everything he gets for his poor judgement as he had plenty of time to clear rather than try and pull the ball down with Maxima bearing down on him. However the much bigger culprit is Stephens, who was ball watching and instead of dropping in behind Valery on the cover ended up with a too little too late lunge and didn't get there. When the ball was played up by Newcastle we had eight players picking up three one of them Maxima who set off from within the centre circle. Our defending was hopeless, Stephens had plenty of time to help Valery out and the other six could have picked up the other two runners.

    My point is I wouldn't destroy Valery now by dropping him, I'd give him another go. He won't be doing that again. What I would do is make the team watch that goal over and over again.

  26. Default

    Valery has the potential to be a solid midtable Prem right back, we should stick with him as if he improves then we won't need to spend money in that position.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Valery has the potential to be a solid midtable Prem right back, we should stick with him as if he improves then we won't need to spend money in that position.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I don't see it. I see a kid with a hot head, poor positional sense, poor judgement and no strength.

    Needs a few seasons in the lower leagues.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    My point is I wouldn't destroy Valery now by dropping him, I'd give him another go. He won't be doing that again. What I would do is make the team watch that goal over and over again.
    Expensive way to learn a lesson, but I thought he was better than ok going forward and I agree. He didn't need to be told he'd made a mistake and nor did Djenepo.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,868

    Default

    Norwich have a huge incentive to win this one and have improved of late. great win over Spurs after HT will give them a boost. Right now we are in a mess; even with players coming back we have lost our rhythm through all the enforced changes and have siloed back into sloppy habits at the back. Sadly, I cannot see past a defeat and probably 2-0.

  30. #30

    Default

    Norwich are in better form so if we're not really up for it, we'll lose. Definitely isn't going to be a 0-0 with two poor defences. Just got to hope Ings is back on form.

    I'd take a 1-1. We just need to keep scraping some points here and there until safe.

  31. #31

    Default

    I wouldn't play Valery in this game and I don't see him as Premier League right back either. He simply is not good enough defensively and has massive errors in judgement or mistakes that mostly lead to goals.

    I would start KWP, as I think is a more sold option and he isn't playing against a physical type of team in Norwich. I personally think Valery would make a good right winger, as he is very good going forward and has a decent delivery. With Djenpo and Redmond out, might be a shout playing him right wing and Armstrong left wing. He'll probably start Boufal on the right and Armstrong on the left though.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilsea
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    If Redmond was fit I'd say we'd nick it but sadly he's not so we will lose this.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the frontline in Locks Heath
    Posts
    6,898

    Default

    We don’t do draws this season and frankly if we were to draw this, it would be almost as bad psychologically as a defeat. I think we are as poor as Norwich have been at the moment and so the winner of this game will be the team that has the best manager...i.e. the best tactician who is able to utilise his weak squad to the best advantage.

    Norwich have home advantage and to be fair their fans can whip up some decent noise. I’m not particularly confident our players have enough fight in them to produce a winning performance. Would love us to produce a convincing win, but with injuries and at the mercy of underperforming players (Valery, Stephens, Boufal, Djenepo, Long, Adams and lately to some extent Ings) I predict a 2-1 loss.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    This is definitely not going to be a walkover. Who ever wants it most will win.Norwich are just as vulnerable as we are at times and we must take advantage of that.An early Saints goal will open them up and we have to take the initiative if we really want those three points.Therefore I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a slim win for Saints.I live in hope.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,868

    Default

    With a COBRA meeting scheduled for lunchtime today it looks increasingly like this weekend's matches will be suspended. If that happens it will be several months without football unless they do it behind closed doors.

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    With a COBRA meeting scheduled for lunchtime today it looks increasingly like this weekend's matches will be suspended. If that happens it will be several months without football unless they do it behind closed doors.
    They won't be suspended, the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    With a COBRA meeting scheduled for lunchtime today it looks increasingly like this weekend's matches will be suspended. If that happens it will be several months without football unless they do it behind closed doors.
    How have you come to that conclusion? The media are talking about behind closed doors games at the moment, not suspending the season.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    They won't be suspended, the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors.
    Until the PFA get involved. The Spanish players' union made the case that if playing matches was a risk for supporters, then why are the players being asked to put themselves at the same risk? And now La Liga has shut down.

    A Juventus player - Rugani - has just tested positive. All his teammates and opponents he's been in contact with in the last fortnight are now at risk. Serie A has shut down. The Olympiacos chairman testing positive has led to the postponement of Arsenal's game yesterday (because they were exposed last week) and Wolves pleading (unsuccessfully - on their conscience be it) with UEFA to postpone their match in Greece today. This is the tip of the iceberg.

    Once clubs and/or players refuse to play, a shut down is inevitable. It should've happened already.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Until the PFA get involved. The Spanish players' union made the case that if playing matches was a risk for supporters, then why are the players being asked to put themselves at the same risk? And now La Liga has shut down.
    Interacting with a relatively small number teammates and opponents is very different to walking around concourses and sitting in the stands in close proximity to thousands of people are very different things.

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Interacting with a relatively small number teammates and opponents is very different to walking around concourses and sitting in the stands in close proximity to thousands of people are very different things.
    Be sure to open with that when you explain to the families of any players or staff who contract the virus why they had to be unnecessarily exposed to it.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    10,605

    Default

    I've got this one as a deserved win for Norwich and then a meltdown on here, I'm afraid. Hoping for a 1-1 draw though, or pretty much the last win we need...

  42. #42

    Default

    Cantwell out with calf problem

  43. Default

    Considering health authorities are expecting this virus to peak January 2021, postponing would be pointless. Just play behind closed doors.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Considering health authorities are expecting this virus to peak January 2021, postponing would be pointless. Just play behind closed doors.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    What difference would that make?

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Until the PFA get involved. The Spanish players' union made the case that if playing matches was a risk for supporters, then why are the players being asked to put themselves at the same risk? And now La Liga has shut down.

    A Juventus player - Rugani - has just tested positive. All his teammates and opponents he's been in contact with in the last fortnight are now at risk. Serie A has shut down. The Olympiacos chairman testing positive has led to the postponement of Arsenal's game yesterday (because they were exposed last week) and Wolves pleading (unsuccessfully - on their conscience be it) with UEFA to postpone their match in Greece today. This is the tip of the iceberg.

    Once clubs and/or players refuse to play, a shut down is inevitable. It should've happened already.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Another panicker.....
    Ok then if footballers canít play football food transporters canít go to work and neither can shop workers or nurses and doctors and electricity supply workers etc etc etc etc ...
    Then everyone starved to death, will you be satisfied then! Get a grip for Christ sake!

  46. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    What difference would that make?
    Well if we're postponing games, when do they get played? When the virus is less of a problem? That might not be until well into 2021.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  47. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    Another panicker.....
    Ok then if footballers canít play football food transporters canít go to work and neither can shop workers or nurses and doctors and electricity supply workers etc etc etc etc ...
    Then everyone starved to death, will you be satisfied then! Get a grip for Christ sake!
    To be fair you're equating entertainers with essential service workers.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  48. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Well if we're postponing games, when do they get played? When the virus is less of a problem? That might not be until well into 2021.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I meant, what practical difference would playing behind closed doors make to the spread of the virus.

    If crowds are banned from the games this Saturday then many of them will travel anyway or chooses another outside activity.

  49. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    To be fair you're equating entertainers with essential service workers.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yes I am Ďequatingí
    How can you say certain people can work because they are Ďessentialí but itís perfectly fine for others not to work....
    There is no logic to this...Let alone fairness.
    Everyone should work until or if they are ill or tested positive at this stage of the spread.
    A person working in Tescos is just as íessentialí as anyone else. See how long you last without food!
    You cannot discriminate or act as God over who is íessentialí
    The mechanic that maintains the lorry that drives the food to your shop etc etc Where does this end.... ?

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    10,605

    Default

    Wow. Epidemiologists, immunologists, and viral experts on here. I never knew.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •