Nathan Redmond

OldNick

Nathan Redmond is comfortably our most underrated player and in my opinion our best player. Hoping the people who whine about his poor goal and assist numbers will shut up now they see how much worse we are without him and what the team lacks in his absence.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Henry has been prominent during our 4 year slump. He’s part of our problem, not solution IMHO

averages around 4 goals and 2 assists each season. V poor

Has his occasional moments, and perked up briefly before his new contract. Overall (for me) very average

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

Been pretty anonymous lately. Wa he playing against Everton? 

I think a lack of competition, no Boufal and Djenepo to challenge him, may be having a effect?

His finishing in the past two games has been appalling.

Something which is often overlooked IMO is his availability and durability. 

He doesn't get rested, pretty much always plays the whole game and puts a shift in.

Look at most wide players or attacking midfielders since the restart (and even before) - they get subbed frequently, rotated often and in our own examples of Djenepo and Boufal, have missed so many games.

Being available is an underrated attribute from fans, but probably not from a Manager. Yes he hasnt been at his best the last two games, but he will be there from the start in the next game and probably the other 3 as well, when if others were more durable we would be able to give him a rest.

We have a few issues still that are obvious, Redmond isn't one IMO.

Redmond is frustrating to watch sometimes and he often seems to do a 'headless chicken' running into blind alleys. That said we're a better team when he plays than when he doesn't so I'm not going to critiscise him for a couple of below par displays since the re-start. 

Despite his talent Boufal doesn't do it often enough, and is frquently unavailable with injury, just hope Djenpo isn't going to go the same way.

16 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

For me he has been the poorest regular starter since they returned from lockdown. He hasn't been dreadful by a long stretch but he hasnt exactly set the world alight either.

I agree; frustrating and disappointing in equal measure.

Playing on the left he is constantly playing with his back to goal, looking for the sideways or backwards pass instead of running down the line. 

For the love of God, get him on the right wing and get him crossing the ball from the byline for Ings, Adams and Long. Every single time he's played on the right wing he's looked so much more dangerous. 

• Like 1

I don't think he's played too badly? Bit frustrating, maybe, but he's been great in our press and winning the ball back. He gives us a great outlet.

I still think we lack another Redmond type in the team though, Armstrong if played on the opposite site doesn't really cut it for me. There's a lot of reliance on KWP for example to provide the width, I think having another wide man on the opposite flank could make us even more balanced, we could switch the wide players around too during the game. There's absolutely zero competition for Redmond at the moment.

I know we've got Moussa, but all he ever does is seemingly sit on the injury table! I think we need a bit more on the wings, esp. if we ditch Boufal (which I hope we do).

Edited by S-Clarke

6 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Been pretty anonymous lately. Wa he playing against Everton? 

He was worse against Citeh when we had 10 superb performance. And Redmond. He is completely anonymous for much of many games. End product is, well, meh. He's so frustrating as he's got it in his locker. Someone needs to give him the combination. 

Edited by Greenridge

23 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

He was worse against Citeh when we had 10 superb performance. And Redmond. He is completely anonymous for much of many games. End product is, well, meh. He's so frustrating as he's got it in his locker. Someone needs to give him the combination. 

He put in a hell of a shift vs city and was tracking back doing a very good job defending. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think he's played too badly? Bit frustrating, maybe, but he's been great in our press and winning the ball back. He gives us a great outlet.

I still think we lack another Redmond type in the team though, Armstrong if played on the opposite site doesn't really cut it for me. There's a lot of reliance on KWP for example to provide the width, I think having another wide man on the opposite flank could make us even more balanced, we could switch the wide players around too during the game. There's absolutely zero competition for Redmond at the moment.

I know we've got Moussa, but all he ever does is seemingly sit on the injury table! I think we need a bit more on the wings, esp. if we ditch Boufal (which I hope we do).

Other than Duracell Bunny energy for the press, Armstrong offers far more as a footballer than Redmond.

8 hours ago, SaveloyMush said:

Other than Duracell Bunny energy for the press, Armstrong offers far more as a footballer than Redmond.

Funny how people see football. 

I like them both but its clear (to me) that Armstrong has clear physical qualities with his acceleration and is direct but of the two Redmond has far superior technical ability as a footballer, i.e first touch, weight of pass etc.

In  scenario where a ball was fizzed in to a player and they needed a sure touch, or were required to play a pass into a striker...I would back Redmond over Armstrong every time.

For me Redmond is a similar type player to Lallana..and has thrived when given a roaming/central role as he can beat a player both sides and has a good shot on him. When you look at comparable players in our area of the league there are few I would take over Redmond, and its noticeable he has gotten better as our team has improved.

Very different players and glad to have both.

Edited by Dusic

10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Playing on the left he is constantly playing with his back to goal, looking for the sideways or backwards pass instead of running down the line. 

For the love of God, get him on the right wing and get him crossing the ball from the byline for Ings, Adams and Long. Every single time he's played on the right wing he's looked so much more dangerous. 

I keep saying this. But manager after manager apparently don't agree with us.

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I think he is one of those players that everything has to be just right before he performs at his best. I know he is a nice guy, popular with his team mates but he is too inconsistent for me. Good when he's on form but does not always turn up.

Hard to argue with that. Like many wingers he's maddeningly inconsistent and I don't know how strong he is mentally. I'd like to see us bring in another winger if we can offload some of our other players to maybe compete with him. 

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Hard to argue with that. Like many wingers he's maddeningly inconsistent and I don't know how strong he is mentally. I'd like to see us bring in another winger if we can offload some of our other players to maybe compete with him. 

Mentally strong enough to recover from being the prime boo boy target and be PoTY the following season.

Would be good to have more competition, absolutely.

Just now, Dusic said:

Mentally strong enough to recover from being the prime boo boy target and be PoTY the following season.

Would be good to have more competition, absolutely.

I don't doubt he's got ability. The problem is when he has a bit of adversity he seems to really go off the boil. 

Redmond now is blocking a starting place for others when they are fit.

He has become too complacent on being picked - yeah he may be popular within the squad but honestly all he does is go backwards. For a player of his so say ability I find it hard to understand why he hasn’t been moved on. The answer to that is he has no end product to his game. They can show us all the videos of him hitting “Worldys” down the training ground , but these count for nothing if you don’t turn up on match day.

Sims, Djenepo, & Boufal Should all be ahead of him when fit and available - Moussa especially 

1 hour ago, The Fat Controller said:

Sims, Djenepo, & Boufal Should all be ahead of him when fit and available - Moussa especially 

LOL. He was our PoTY last year and has been an important player this year. Not sure which games he "hasn't turned up for?"

Sims - not good enough. Certainly nowhere near NR level, as will be proven by their respective careers.

Boufal - always unavailable and likely leaving this summer. Here is a guy that actually has no end product.

Djenepo - flashes of promise but not available enough so far.

If what you wrote is a genuine opinion then fair enough, but you are wrong. Suprised you didnt add Sam McQueen to your list for a full house.

Edited by Dusic

31 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

Redmond is never going to get better - Player of the year in a poor performing team

You're being incredibly harsh.

Redmond is the least of our problems in this side. He came on leaps and bounds last year, and is just struggled with a bit of an injury since restart.

Redmond is very important to the team. He is a serious threat with great ball control. He is not Messi, but he is a very good premiership player who is returning rematch fitness. Consider how much he was missed prior to lockdown. 

4 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

He has become too complacent on being picked 

I can only think you’re on a wind up, because you can’t seriously believe this rubbish. 

Funny how you can see he’s “complacent “ but Ralph can’t. Unless you’re trying to say that Ralph is unwilling to do anything about complacency in the side. Doesn’t strike me as that sort of manager, but maybe you know better. 

If you think Sims & Boufal deserve a start over him, you’re deluded. As for Djenepo, he hasn’t really played enough games for anyone  to make a judgement. I suspect Ralph would pick Redmond every time, and he does seem to know what he’s doing. 

Yet another game goes by where the headless chicken runs around a lot, running into dead ends, losing the ball etc. I really wish we had a fully fit Djenepo & Boufal available to give him a bit of competition.....or, even better, 2 Armstrong's!

And don't give me "He was POTY last year"....Brexit has already proven the masses are stupid. 

30 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

Yet another game goes by where the headless chicken runs around a lot, running into dead ends, losing the ball etc. I really wish we had a fully fit Djenepo & Boufal available to give him a bit of competition.....or, even better, 2 Armstrong's!

And don't give me "He was POTY last year"....Brexit has already proven the masses are stupid. 

Lol, so his chip for the first , his sht that brought out a fantastic save, and of course his work chasing down in the 98th minute shows that he's a headless chicken lol.

Look back to the results  when the headless chicken was not playing just before lockdown, then perhaps you will see how poor a judge you were in making that post

40 minutes ago, Marsdinho said:

🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Lol, so his chip for the first , his sht that brought out a fantastic save, and of course his work chasing down in the 98th minute shows that he's a headless chicken lol.

Look back to the results  when the headless chicken was not playing just before lockdown, then perhaps you will see how poor a judge you were in making that post

He also won the corner for the equaliser.