Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

"We're waiting for you, you dirty scummers, we're waiting for you" among about 10 songs in a row about us.

I know these are just football chants and there's always bravado but does anyone else think that there's going to be a little more of an edge than normal to these games? Even for saints pompey the aggression level seems high and there's a real nasty undercurrent hanging around it at the moment.

I mean both their fans are fans are waiting for us right ;)

Lol... How embarrassing... "4-1 in your own back yard" and something about waiting for us "dirty scummers". Oh, and now they're attention has completey turned to us judging by the chants. What a sad sad bunch, crowing over a 2 nil lead against barnsley

amazing how empty seats can make such a noise

we're waiting for you....god I hope we beat them at fratton

Just been told by a Skate that Cotterill leaving will add at least 5,000 to their attendances.

LOL

Bestest fans 11261, should cover the wages of ............... the stewards

Well thank f*ck that extra 5000 turned up...a paltry 6261 would have looked very embarrassing on the telebox, whereas an impressive 11,2...oh...

What kind of academy signs players that age you ask? Yours, actually. Based on the players someone quoted above as making money from your academy set up, Baird joined you aged 16, McGoldrick and Blackstock were both 17 and Leon Best was 18.

I wouldn't count players signed at 17 as Academy products either, so we're agreed on that one. We're also agreed that your "Academy" has produced 1 (ONE) player who you've sold for a profit in the last 3 years. Brilliant.

As for Best though, that's...., that's amazing. Given that he made his debut for us on his 18th birthday we did really well to sign him and play him on the same day. Amazing. Or maybe he's like HM The Queen and has 2 birthdays? Or maybe you're just full of ****?

Corp Ho - The Voice Of Truth. I bet you got your info from that oh-so-reliable German website again. You know, the one that reckons we paid ten times more for Chaplow than we really did. :uhoh:

No idea where this 'scummer' thing started, I grew up with that being their nickname and never heard a pompey fan say it about saints. No idea how our team is dirty either, but even if we worth, it beggars belief a supporter of that club could dare say those words about ANY other club after their actions. I'm not sure if I'd be more ashamed or just embarrassed at highlighted my sheer ignorance.

Seriously? They've called us Scummers for at least as long as we called them the same. The only difference is Pompey fans desperately and laughably try and make it all "political" by making up fairy tales about people from Southampton breaking dock strikes in Portsmouth.

The Skate thing came up from Saints fans in fanzines trying to come up with something different from Scummers because that's what Pompey call us.

Seriously? They've called us Scummers for at least as long as we called them the same. The only difference is Pompey fans desperately and laughably try and make it all "political" by making up fairy tales about people from Southampton breaking dock strikes in Portsmouth. The Skate thing came up from Saints fans in fanzines trying to come up with something different from Scummers because that's what Pompey call us.
I remember in the early 90s we used to call them scummers (and their ex players)

the scummers thing was used by both sets of fans for decades. It is only recently that Skates has come into play as I think NI started saying we should call them a different name. It was a bit schoolplayground when both sets of fans were singing scummer to each other, not that the new way is much different.Scummer reminds me of junior school when lads would try and think of a name to shout at a rival, that sounded rude but didnt want to use an expletive in case the dinner lady told you off.

the scummers thing was used by both sets of fans for decades. It is only recently that Skates has come into play as I think NI started saying we should call them a different name. It was a bit schoolplayground when both sets of fans were singing scummer to each other, not that the new way is much different.Scummer reminds me of junior school when lads would try and think of a name to shout at a rival, that sounded rude but didnt want to use an expletive in case the dinner lady told you off.

Us Eastleigh lads were calling them skates back in the mid 70's. It came from a DJ at the Crown who used to work all the clubs on the naval base down there. We applied it to them knowing they hated the matelots.

11,261 and you could get 4 tickets for £44. That is p!ss poor support even for a small club like pompey.
was that really their attendance..?...what a joke of a club....when we get double that we feel we that is average for us at best......did you hear that they are "waiting for us"...could hear them sing it on telly...amazing how empty seats can make noise

was that really their attendance..?...what a joke of a club....when we get double that we feel we that is average for us at best......did you hear that they are "waiting for us"...could hear them sing it on telly...amazing how empty seats can make noise

Maybe that's what they were signing about, "we're waiting for you, we're waiting for you, we can't fill our stadium, we're waiting for you"

Us Eastleigh lads were calling them skates back in the mid 70's. It came from a DJ at the Crown who used to work all the clubs on the naval base down there. We applied it to them knowing they hated the matelots.[/quoteT

The Crown ...Oh they were the days ! I played for the Sunday morning Football side ran by Roy Joslin (RIP) and Fritzie Hall .. I was the baby in the side but what a set of characters we had playing for us . We had an very infamous end of season " tour" in Amsterdam one year....very fond memories indeed!

I remember the Thursday night discos and strip nights in aid of the footy team well and also remember the phew being referred to as Skates as long ago as that.

I wouldn't count players signed at 17 as Academy products either, so we're agreed on that one. We're also agreed that your "Academy" has produced 1 (ONE) player who you've sold for a profit in the last 3 years. Brilliant.

As for Best though, that's...., that's amazing. Given that he made his debut for us on his 18th birthday we did really well to sign him and play him on the same day. Amazing. Or maybe he's like HM The Queen and has 2 birthdays? Or maybe you're just full of ****?

Corp Ho - The Voice Of Truth. I bet you got your info from that oh-so-reliable German website again. You know, the one that reckons we paid ten times more for Chaplow than we really did. :uhoh:

Blackstock was 16, McGoldrick was 16 and as you pointed out Best was 17. Other than that Ho was as accurate as ever.

Us Eastleigh lads were calling them skates back in the mid 70's. It came from a DJ at the Crown who used to work all the clubs on the naval base down there. We applied it to them knowing they hated the matelots.[/quoteT

The Crown ...Oh they were the days ! I played for the Sunday morning Football side ran by Roy Joslin (RIP) and Fritzie Hall .. I was the baby in the side but what a set of characters we had playing for us . We had an very infamous end of season " tour" in Amsterdam one year....very fond memories indeed!

I remember the Thursday night discos and strip nights in aid of the footy team well and also remember the phew being referred to as Skates as long ago as that.

The crown was my brother's favourite haunt. In fact, I think he also used used to 'work on the door'. He is in his early 50's now, I am too young to have used it. I do remember the Golden Eagle though.

As for the 'Skate' thing: I am an ex-matelot and yes, the locals hated us and called us Skates - so it really riled them to be called it back.

Oh, those were the days, a Saints supporting matelot living in Skatesmouth - what fun that was!!!!!

And as for their attendance yesterday... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........ I thought they were supposed to get an extra 5000 because the Clot had left???? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........

Seems to be a race to get away from nott arf these days.

First it was a trickle of fans and then a flood

Then the management joined in

Will the last person to leave the building please turn out the lights.

Oh, they won't have to, 'cos at this rate they ain't earning enough to pay the Electric Bill (again)

The crown was my brother's favourite haunt. In fact, I think he also used used to 'work on the door'. He is in his early 50's now, I am too young to have used it. I do remember the Golden Eagle though.

As for the 'Skate' thing: I am an ex-matelot and yes, the locals hated us and called us Skates - so it really riled them to be called it back.

Oh, those were the days, a Saints supporting matelot living in Skatesmouth - what fun that was!!!!!

And as for their attendance yesterday... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........ I thought they were supposed to get an extra 5000 because the Clot had left???? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........

Pete didn't 'work on the door'. He was the DJ's roadie as I was. Caz Podsadowski did the door along with other Imperial Sports members although sometimes Pete and I would be seconded to taking the admission fees. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays (free admission in those days)...happy days at the Crown.

As to the missing 5,000? There's more missing than that IIRC the 250K on Southsea common!

They did, would only have been 6k otherwise

you have to take your hat off to the russians.

They offloaded a truly awful manager, demanded money for him - and they kept a straight face until they got back in the car.

I guess the real test is yet to come - let's hope they have an equally awful replacement lined up, which is quite likely.

you have to take your hat off to the russians.They offloaded a truly awful manager, demanded money for him - and they kept a straight face until they got back in the car.I guess the real test is yet to come - let's hope they have an equally awful replacement lined up, which is quite likely.
after yesterdays inspiring win....lets hope they give gray and whittingham the job till the summer..

you have to take your hat off to the russians.

They offloaded a truly awful manager, demanded money for him - and they kept a straight face until they got back in the car.

I guess the real test is yet to come - let's hope they have an equally awful replacement lined up, which is quite likely.

lets hope they are thinking a low cost appointment like Gray rather than another moaner in chief - Billy Davis

No-one else want them to win tonight?

Can just see the chances of appointing Stuart Gray rising!

TBF Barnsley look fcking dreadful. So did Pompey but Super Stu obviously got them going!

It is a bit of a dilemma, isn't it? Temporarily suspend our delight in the Cheats losing, half hoping for them to scrape enough wins so that Gray can be rewarded with a bumper contract. It worked with the incompetent duckhunter, being conned by our end of season wins against disinterested nothing-to-play-for ManUre and Arse teams. I just hope Roman and Vlad don't wait too long to make their minds up. We want normal service to be resumed as soon as possible.

''We're coming for you, we're coming for youuu, you dirty scummers, we're coming for you''

Not very original skates...

And also not very bright (now there's a surprise!) It's like a prisoner on death row looking forward to execution day.

See how many we get on Tuesday night but I think the attendance debate is over - a towel came over the ropes halfway through round one.

Seems to have got to the point where we could fill their whole 'stadium'.

It might be polite to let their season ticket holders have their seats and we'll settle for the other 12,000 - though even then it would still have to go to a ballot.

Difficult to believe how quickly their fortunes have changed, and they haven't even been caught by the taxman yet.

Is it time to retire 'the bestest' tag?....Or shall we keep it alive for comedic effect?

See how many we get on Tuesday night but I think the attendance debate is over - a towel came over the ropes halfway through round one.

Seems to have got to the point where we could fill their whole 'stadium'.

It might be polite to let their season ticket holders have their seats and we'll settle for the other 12,000 - though even then it would still have to go to a ballot.

Difficult to believe how quickly their fortunes have changed, and they haven't even been caught by the taxman yet.

Is it time to retire 'the bestest' tag?....Or shall we keep it alive for comedic effect?

I thought it was only ever there for comedic effect in the first place

Yup, all good points, but add a lull with SC going (whatever was thought of him), and then knock-off a good 3-4,000 for it being on Sky, and another 1-2,000 for it being Barnsley.

String some wins together, and on a normal (i.e. not Sky or afternoon/evening k.o.), not against one of the 3 least attractive teams, and should hit 17/18k. It *is* a low attendence, but all the factors are there.

This from one of their boards.

So as long as they are not on Sky, it is not an afternoon/evening KO (when would they kick off then?) and they are not playing one of the 3 least attractive teams they could get 17/18k. They have only got close to 17k once this season and that was the first home game which was a local derby against Brighton with a full away section.

so they lose 25% of their attendance for being on Sky?

Do they get that many people in one pub watching it in Greek?

That means Man Utd should budget for 18,000 empty seats at every televised game....better let them know.

And Sid, it's beyond comedic - surely it's cruel to call them bestest now! When there was a group it was banter but now there are so few it seems insulting. :p