• Davis, S
    • Cork
    • Long
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Mane
    • Wanyama
    • Mayuka

The quality of the pass-and-move and interchange play was amazing. There's no space too tight for that midfield to work in, and (no disrespect aimed at the leavers) this proves that keeping our engine room intact was the most crucial thing in the Summer.

The clamour for Clyne to start for England will build and Hodgson's decision will be made for him.

For me, Bertrand is an upgrade on Shaw, Tadic is an upgrade on Lallana, and Pelle is an upgrade on dear Rickie. Who'd have thunk it?

But the thing that perhaps struck me most as I look back on the game is the upgrade on the subs bench. We didn't miss a beat, far from it, and even threw a very different shape (and even more pace) on. More depth, more options, more ways of winning, less ways of losing.

God knows how this could end up.

Just got home. Had to have a few pints in Southampton after the game (I'm sure you'll all understand), but the 45 minites on the fast train wasn't enough to calm the buzz so went in to the pub (populated by Pompey supporters) by the station when I got off. What were the showing on the big Sky screen? It was at 4-0, but I had to watch again... :-)

What an enjoyable afternoon, folks may say that Sunderland were woeful but boy are we a hungry animal, they must have doubled the goal scoring bonus this season because everyone wants a crack.

When Dusan scored his goal I can't remember the last time the whole stadium sang a new players name.

Also what a treat to have substitutions like Wanyama and Manė coming on and increasing the grip on the throat.

When I walked out of SMS after the Leverkusen pre season game with the thought that what I have seen doesn't strike any fear into me for the season, I had not one inkling that we would be this much of a potent force.

What a ****ing time to do the sober for October thing. I could have drunk the city dry tonight after that. Brilliant game and performance. I told anyone that would listen before this game that it would be really dull with Sunderland playing with 11 men behind the ball and Saints trying to break them down. Thought we might have sneaked a 1-0.

This is certainly a game that will live in the memory forever. I told my daughter that she'll tell her grandchildren that she was at the game one day... and she's only 13.?

That game was won in central midfield, aided and abetted by some comical defending by Sunderland under constant pressing from Saints, preventing Sunderland from getting the ball out to their fullbacks to get crosses in to Fletcher and Wickham. Schneiderlin in a slightly deeper role than of late. It's about time we beat that lot. An 8-0 loss lives long in the memory. Everton beat us 8-0 decades ago.

My boy kept turning to me and saying "good game to come to dad" and "uou said this would be a tough game".

He's only ten and has a lot to learn about Saints and football in general. However, I was glad to share this experience with him as we don't get down from Manchester too often.

I've never seen a team fold so easily. At least Oldham were trying when we smashed them 6 nil away a few years ago. Sickening for S'land

Have to vote for Tadic as MotM obviously, but truly everyone on the park was excellent. Davis, Long, Clyne and Bertrand especially. Mane and Mayuka very good in their minutes. Of course if we're keeping Mayuka to use in those circumstances we'd want to hope we're 6-0 up in a lot of games.

I'm really excited about what will be in the League 1 Minus 10 write up this week as well. Will be a long write up :lol:

Edited by GarrettIvo

"En hier volgen de uitslagen uit de Engelse Premier League: Manchester City - Tottenham Hotspur 4-1, Southampton - Sunderland 8-0..."

8-0... 8-0!

Congratulations Saints, can't wait to see the matches against ManU, Chelsea and ManCity. Will Saints be up to it to grab some points against them?

"En hier volgen de uitslagen uit de Engelse Premier League: Manchester City - Tottenham Hotspur 4-1, Southampton - Sunderland 8-0..."

8-0... 8-0!

Congratulations Saints, can't wait to see the matches against ManU, Chelsea and ManCity. Will Saints be up to it to grab some points against them?

1 or 3 points against Man U will do nicely. The only thing I hope of City and Chelsea is that we do not lose by any more than 2 goals!

I was at my mother-in-law's auction yesterday watching the game on my ipad.......I was composed enough not to accidentally bid on 8 of her pieces of crap. ;)

Among all the ecstasy, it's a very sobering thought that we could have lost Forster through suspension while Boruc is away building sandcastles in Bournemouth.

Arsenal have been linked with Schniderlin every year since he's been here but I don't think they've ever actually made a big have they?

its not like wenger to spend that sort of money (that morgan would cost) without champions league experience

What a day! Koeman's son was in the pub before the game; we had three Italians behind us in The Chapel dressed in Saints colours cheering on Pelle. Sat next to my dad and son watching us score 8. A day that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I was very impressed with Koeman coming out and saying we were poor in the first 20 minutes and were 2-0 up by sheer luck. It was true, and it means he'll be looking at that rather than getting carried away with us racking up a rugby score against a team that gave up.

Stoke won't be giving up next week and I get the impression Koeman will not be letting up on the players one bit.

These next four games are now hugely important. We have the possibility to get another 8-12 points in them before we enter a tough run of games. I'd be in dreamland if we went into those tough games with 24-28 points after 12 matches. Incredible.

My boy kept turning to me and saying "good game to come to dad" and "uou said this would be a tough game".

He's only ten and has a lot to learn about Saints and football in general. However, I was glad to share this experience with him as we don't get down from Manchester too often.

I've never seen a team fold so easily. At least Oldham were trying when we smashed them 6 nil away a few years ago. Sickening for S'land

You and your nipper must come down more often!

What a day! Koeman's son was in the pub before the game; we had three Italians behind us in The Chapel dressed in Saints colours cheering on Pelle. Sat next to my dad and son watching us score 8. A day that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I will remember it for the rest of my life too - it doesn't happen often - what a wonderful day at St Mary's!

Unbelievable game and day.

I thought our full-backs were outstanding, really, really good. The fact that Clye hasn'tplayed a single minute for England, whereas the likes of Smalling, Jones, Stones and Chambers are getting game time in that position grows more laughable and should ultimately be embarrasing for English football. Bertrand has been excellent for us as well.

A strong bench, with Wanyama and Mane coming on to contribute.

Few slight negatives - Forster could have been sent off and given away a penalty early in the first half- that was a close call and would have made it a very different game.

Why the f**k do so many people leave early in a game like that? Utterly mental.

Hats off to the Sunderland support, without being patronising, I thought their support was very good throughout the game.

I was very impressed with Koeman coming out and saying we were poor in the first 20 minutes and were 2-0 up by sheer luck. It was true, and it means he'll be looking at that rather than getting carried away with us racking up a rugby score against a team that gave up.

Stoke won't be giving up next week and I get the impression Koeman will not be letting up on the players one bit.

These next four games are now hugely important. We have the possibility to get another 8-12 points in them before we enter a tough run of games. I'd be in dreamland if we went into those tough games with 24-28 points after 12 matches. Incredible.

Yeah, excellent attitude. And yeah, really hope we are sat on 24+ from 12 games. Would set us up super nicely for the tough run! Bring it oooon! :poundit:

Great result. Agree with most of the comments above - suffice to say that Alderweireld doesn't inspire the greatest confidence on the left hand side of central defense.

Really? Looks to have fitted in seamlessly to me, upgrade on Lovren, and another player made to look even better by the partnership with Jose.

There is no way to describe this match from our perspective without the use of superlatives; words like imperious and majestic spring to mind.

Like many, I had been expecting a scrappy draw or a narrow win against a side that had been one of our bogey teams and which had this season one of the tightest defences in the division, having let in only 7 goals in their first seven matches. Anybody on here predicting pre-match that we would anihilate them 8-0 would have been labelled a delusional happy-clapper, a fantasist. And yet at the end, we Saints fans streamed out of the ground afterwards walking on air, aware that we had witnessed something special and historical and truly memorable.

Match of the Day was especially enjoyable, the pundits informing us that we had not experienced a scoreline like this since 1921 and mentioning incorrectly that the next highest scoreline had been the "grey shirts" 6-3 Manchester United match. It appears to have passed into folklore that a scoreline like that against the glory-hunters could only be justified by such a flimsy excuse, but the grey-shirts match was the 3-1 victory 6 months earlier.The magnitude of the victory having been put into some sort of perspective we could enjoy the spectacle of the comedy value of some superb own goals, the systematic dismantling of a once tight defence and the subsequent ritual humiliation of Sunderland, whose manager and fans were praying for the final whistle to put them out of their misery. I can only imagine how gloomy and morbid the atmosphere on their coaches would be, making one of the longest away trips in the division.

The match had started as a cagey affair, both teams evenly matched, maybe even with Sunderland shading it, but Virgile's comedy strike into his own net calmed our nerves and we started to gain momentum. Even after our second, it was still fairly even, although we were now starting to play with confidence and panache. Any plans that Sunderland had of parking the bus were long gone, because if they wanted a result, they had to come at us, but with the benefit of hindsight, had they tightened up the defence then and tried to salvage something by hitting us on the break, they might have avoided the humiliation of the final score. But this was a Poyet team, taught to try and play open, passing football, but also typically of his teams, capable of niggly fouls and players going down very easily in order to win free kicks, which certainly fooled the Ref. Luckily, our defence stood tall and their shooting was wayward.

The pundits had worried that the number of our players who had been away on International duty could mean that they suffered from tiredness. Another factor might be the mental state of the team following their defeat in their last match against Spurs. Instead, there was nothing wrong with the mental attitude of players like Pelle or Tadic in particular, as they were raring to go and together orchestrated the passing and threat up top which was irresistible. As in many matches this season, one couldn't pick out a weak link in the entire team, so well did they play as a unit. Solid defence, strong midfield and a potent attack.

Koeman again got his tactics spot on, making the substitutions at exactly the right time and urging the players on to score even more goals late into the match. Putting on two of the fastest attacking players in the division, Mane and Mayuke, against a tired and demoralised Sunderland was almost tantamount to sadism, and we were running them ragged by that time.

We have to keep our feet on the ground and must not expect that we can repeat this performance against the likes of Stoke and Hull, but psychologically, we must have them nervous of playing us in this sort of form. Who do they mark in our team? We have players scoring from all over the pitch. We have some stern opposition coming up in a few weeks time, but again, our confidence could be sky high when we get to play them and some doubt and caution might creep into their minds. Apart from Chelsea, all of the other top teams have proven to be vulnerable. Our start to this season suggests that it is not improbable to come away with points against them. A top six finish looks increasingly possible and a top four finish doesn't look entirely out of the question.

Really? Looks to have fitted in seamlessly to me, upgrade on Lovren, and another player made to look even better by the partnership with Jose.

To be fair, we haven't been really tested at the back, but his distribution -presumably because he's a right footer- isn't the greatest. He also tends to get bullied in the air and dragged out of position. Am pretty sure if Yoshida had been making similar mistakes, they would have been picked up on.

To be fair, we haven't been really tested at the back, but his distribution -presumably because he's a right footer- isn't the greatest. He also tends to get bullied in the air and dragged out of position. Am pretty sure if Yoshida had been making similar mistakes, they would have been picked up on.

how come very very few have been saying this about him. it only seems to be you?

are you right and everyone else wrong?