January 2015 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

Tyrone Mings may be worth a shout at the end of the season IF Ipswich don't go up?

Not tall enough ;)

The BBC as well as other media sources always tell say we released him because he was too short, but in 'The Southampton Way', we said we look at both technical and ohysical attributes??

Unless 6 years ago we only cared about physical players lool :p

Not tall enough ;)

The BBC as well as other media sources always tell say we released him because he was too short, but in 'The Southampton Way', we said we look at both technical and ohysical attributes??

It's b*llocks mate, he probably just tells everyone it was because of his height when in reality he either wasn't good enough or didn't have the right attitude.

Not tall enough ;)

Ever thought we might be speaking horse****. Remember we almost released Oxo for being too small.

It's a good soundbite but wouldn't be surprised if we do place as much emphasis on physical attributes as others and our selection criteria are pretty similar to other clubs rather than some sui generis, lightening in a bottle southampton way.

Edited by shurlock

It's b*llocks mate, he probably just tells everyone it was because of his height when in reality he either wasn't good enough or didn't have the right attitude.

****ing wound me up last night. Kept banging on about it while HR was on the pitch, disproving their point. I also know that clubs are more scientific than that, I don't believe he could get to the size he is now without the club having some sort of idea. One of my lads was at a pro club for a while when he was 9. He was quite small for a goal keeper. But even at that age, they measured him, weighed him, and all sorts. Told me he'd be 6ft by the time he left school and they were right. I seem to remember something about the size of his knees and feet was one clue, if my memory serves. Anyway, he wasnt good enough, and I doubt this lad was either. I doubt clubs realise players for being too small any more.

Slightly off subject , but was the commentator related to Shane long , he had a serious man crush otherwise.

Not been impressed with Mings. Was chatting to some Ipswich fans before the game last night, and they said if they can get £10m for him, then get rid. Seems very leggy to me without great technical ability, however if this can be trained into him, then I can see him being a decent player.

At the moment though, not good enough to play in the Prem IMO.

Daily Star reporting Virgil van Dijk is asking Saints to come and get him. Convinced he would make a terrific addition to the squad. There were rumours he and Pelle had issues at Feyenoord which may have Koeman reluctant to sign him.

Daily Star reporting Virgil van Dijk is asking Saints to come and get him. Convinced he would make a terrific addition to the squad. There were rumours he and Pelle had issues at Feyenoord which may have Koeman reluctant to sign him.

van Dijk hasn't played for Feyenoord. Do you mean when they've played against each other? Pelle gives van Dijk a compliment in this article by saying he is the only good defender in the Dutch League...

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5619/Feyenoord/article/detail/3422916/2013/04/09/Pelle-In-Nederland-heb-ik-het-alleen-moeilijk-tegen-Van-Dijk.dhtml&prev=search

Edited by Matthew Le God

You're thinking of De Vrij.

Jermain Defoe's gone to Sunderland. Drat. i would have like him at Saints, despite his previous at Spurs (the worst club in the world). he would have scored the league goals that Long doesn't.

You realise that he is being paid EIGHTY THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK for 3 and a half years despite his record in his last 30 PL games being 3 goals 1 assist, right?

Jermain Defoe's gone to Sunderland. Drat. i would have like him at Saints, despite his previous at Spurs (the worst club in the world). he would have scored the league goals that Long doesn't.

Massively overrated and smacks of desperation from Poyet.

You realise that he is being paid EIGHTY THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK for 3 and a half years despite his record in his last 30 PL games being 3 goals 1 assist, right?

For 3 and a half years too. He'll be 36 by the end of his contract. For a player whose game has always been pace related, that is a giant risk by Poyet. I hope they gave him a relegation release clause...

Also, he really is the clichéd "if he isn't scoring he offers nothing" type striker. Not saying he's a bad player, but if goals dry up he brings little else. Our success so far this season has very much been about the team. Pellè may not be the most prolific, but you cannot knock the guys endeavour. I'm unsure you'd get that from Defoe.

And the fact that he doesnt fit the system ?!

And the fact that Long is employed on the right due to his workrate and not to score goals ?

Unfortunately DT just doesnt get it

If that is true it's utter madness and I'm glad we haven't gone near it, deals like that put clubs to the wall. I wander if they have anyone already at the club with a clause in their contract to match their wages to the highest earner?

Would you want to be playing Championship football next year? Exactly! For him the best options here are ManUre or Us with Dutch managers and playing philosophy but where would he fit in? If Toby leaves then "maybe" but if Toby signs a new deal and with Yoshi and Gardos up to speed, where's the space?

Not tall enough ;)

Yes, I wonder what have could have prompted such short sighted thinking.... http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/apr/02/southampton-leisure-holdings-administration

And the fact that he doesnt fit the system ?!

And the fact that Long is employed on the right due to his workrate and not to score goals ?

Unfortunately DT just doesnt get it

Ah yes, the master plan. Playing a striker 'not to score goals'.

'So, Shane, what I want you to do is go on, run around a lot, but do not score goals'

'Sorry boss?'

'Do not score goals'

'Oh. Right.'

You're right. I don't get it.

I didn't realise that and it is indeed ridiculous. Personally (everyone hear that?) I wouldn't have minded him as a cheapie option to play off Pelle when the need arose. This is an opinion.

I heard the contract length just now on five live and blurted out a "effing hell" at the radio. But eighty grand a week. It gets better.

Don't go getting relegated, will you Sunderland?

Edited by CB Fry

So what do we need to bring in' date=' in the transfer window, to hold this 3rd place untl the end of the season?[/quote']

When all fit we have more than enough quality to give any team in this league...however we do not know who may get injured between now and May.

I would say we need a back up keeper (easier said than done )

I would like to see a more direct ST as a option for Pelle,Ings has looked a real handful for Burnley when I have seen him

Other than that it's really hard to say