Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Very true.  I suppose it depends if he tactically fits what Ralph wants.  It could always be situation where we just offload him to bring the cash in.

We've also got Lemina returning - not sure if he'll leave for good or he'll be given another crack. Who knows.

So with PEH gone, you'd have Smallbone, JWP, Romeu, Lemina, Reed, Jankewitz all still contracted to us in midfield.

Edited by S-Clarke

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've also got Lemina returning - not sure if he'll leave for good or he'll be given another crack. Who knows.

So with PEH gone, you'd have Smallbone, JWP, Romeu, Lemina, Reed, Jankewitz all still contracted to us in midfield.

Lemina’s with Hoedt in the “I want to leave permanently” club — who will both leave on loan again.

On a side-note — Do we know for sure Ralph sees Jankewitz as a centre-mid? 

Edited by SuperSAINT

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lemina’s with Hoedt in the “I want to leave permanently” club — who will both leave on loan again.

On a side-note — Do we know for sure Ralph sees Jankewitz as a centre-mid? 

I'm personally not counting on Lemina, I want shot of the loser.

The problem for the club will be that he's still a CM on the books, so until his situation is resolved it will put any additions in that area on hold.

I believe the club see Jankewitz as a proper DM type.

If we can shift Carrilo, Lemina and Hoedt this summer, it will open up so many avenues to improve our squad. If it were possible, I'd sue Ross Wilson for each of their transfer fees.

Edited by S-Clarke

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

If Ralph could get a tune out of Lemina then that would be a bonus, however he's not the 'bust a gut' kind of player that Ralph requires for his high-tempo system, is he? 

But Reed is - a "bust a gut" kind of player and is perfectly suited to a high tempo system.   Remember the many claims on here that midfielders don't hit their stride until their  mid twenties.  That claim was often advanced about JWP, and I suppose it has been vindicated.    I'd love to see Reed back here with Romeu, JWP and a player like Jankewitz or Smallbone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, austsaint said:

But Reed is - a "bust a gut" kind of player and is perfectly suited to a high tempo system.   Remember the many claims on here that midfielders don't hit their stride until their  mid twenties.  That claim was often advanced about JWP, and I suppose it has been vindicated.    I'd love to see Reed back here with Romeu, JWP and a player like Jankewitz or Smallbone.

Agreed. Reed as an option off the bench/injuries/suspensions would be good to have. Then see if given a chance if he can take it - like KWP and others. After all in this market, with what a year left on his contract, best we will get is £5M tops. Fulham are desperate to keep him, so he must be reasonable - maybe he has improved via regular games?

If we don't replace Hojbjerg then its an extremely risky move.

We were light on midfielders this season and have been lucky that none of the 3 have really missed a substantial amount of games through injury. 

Hasenhuttl hasnt really trusted Romeu for a while until he had to bring him back so it would leave JWP as the only proven player in the Manager's system.

Smallbone I think is more of a #10 in RH's system unless he has a JWP style improvement in his off the ball play and develops more aggression.

If JWP suddenly missed 3 months through injury I think we would struggle to win many games with any combination of Romeu, Smallbone and Reed. 

Central midfield is key to the pressing game and Hojbjerg's stats for ball wins are excellent, hence why better teams want him and why he played almoat every minute when fit.

Simply put, we would almost certainly be weaker in midfield if we replace Hojbjerg with Reed. If Fulham made a decent offer then we should wish him luck, take it and let the Manager sign a player he wants to replace a key player.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dusic said:

If we don't replace Hojbjerg then its an extremely risky move.

We were light on midfielders this season and have been lucky that none of the 3 have really missed a substantial amount of games through injury. 

Hasenhuttl hasnt really trusted Romeu for a while until he had to bring him back so it would leave JWP as the only proven player in the Manager's system.

Smallbone I think is more of a #10 in RH's system unless he has a JWP style improvement in his off the ball play and develops more aggression.

If JWP suddenly missed 3 months through injury I think we would struggle to win many games with any combination of Romeu, Smallbone and Reed. 

Central midfield is key to the pressing game and Hojbjerg's stats for ball wins are excellent, hence why better teams want him and why he played almoat every minute when fit.

Simply put, we would almost certainly be weaker in midfield if we replace Hojbjerg with Reed. If Fulham made a decent offer then we should wish him luck, take it and let the Manager sign a player he wants to replace a key player.

Saved me typing it.

A midfield of JWP, Romeu, Reed, Smallbone (and Jankewitz) is asking for trouble over a 38 games season.

If Reed wasnt "one of ours" would anyone think him good enough? I doubt it very much. I dont. Devent enough professional mind but not good enough for a Premier League team with ambitions to challenge the top 8 positions. We need to find a first choice DCM to compliment JWP and Armstrong in the main, with Smallbone, Romeu, and Jankewitz(hopefully) as the more itermittat starters. 

I would definitely keep Reed, he has been playing as a midfielder but can also be deployed at RB.

It's ANOTHER question whether we should go out and buy again to replace Hoejberg. Ralph is the one that sees Smallbone, Jankewitz etc and he can determine if they are ready to hold down a place, or just squad players. We won't have a lot of money to spend on this CM position, so don't expect a world beater like Bruno F to come in.

We need to sell some of these players when their stocks are high.

That is the mistake we make, if they were not good enough in the first place for us, they won t be better 2nd or 3rd time round.

It was the same for Gallagher, we kept him for a season and ended up sellinh him for half his value a yesr before.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

From what i can see (and i admit to no watching either of them in the championship) Gallagher has gone and held down a place but not set the place alight whereas Reed is getting great reviews and really standing out within the club. Maybe not standing out wihtin the league but sometimes its who the press fancy.  Thts not really relevant to selling whilst stocks at highest but an interesting comparison perhaps

Has anyone seen enough of him and Kalvin Phillips to see much difference - id imagine a few would be thrilled with Phillips.  Anyone actually really seen them play much recently?

3 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

If Reed wasnt "one of ours" would anyone think him good enough? I doubt it very much. I dont. Devent enough professional mind but not good enough for a Premier League team with ambitions to challenge the top 8 positions. We need to find a first choice DCM to compliment JWP and Armstrong in the main, with Smallbone, Romeu, and Jankewitz(hopefully) as the more itermittat starters. 

I think the opposite.  To be frank most people on here will be judging a player on hype rather than actually seeing them play.  If we were signing a player getting rave reviews for a top 6 championship we’d all be really excited.  People go on about Kelvin Phillips on here, but here we have a player in the same division playing really well who’s already ours.  I’ll trust RH on this if we do let him go, but I’d be happy to see him given a chance next season

Another comparison would be Che, most were excited to be signing him despite him only having one good consistently good season at Championship level (and he dropped off a lot after January).  Reed is doing the same at a better team.

13 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I think the opposite.  To be frank most people on here will be judging a player on hype rather than actually seeing them play.  If we were signing a player getting rave reviews for a top 6 championship we’d all be really excited.  People go on about Kelvin Phillips on here, but here we have a player in the same division playing really well who’s already ours.  I’ll trust RH on this if we do let him go, but I’d be happy to see him given a chance next season

Another comparison would be Che, most were excited to be signing him despite him only having one good consistently good season at Championship level (and he dropped off a lot after January).  Reed is doing the same at a better team.

Fair points.  The beauty of this situation is -- Ralph -- tactically, knows exactly what he needs from players.  So I'm happy to trust him on this one.

• Like 1

Could we do better than Harrison Reed? Yes.

Can we afford to do much better while also improving more pressing areas of the squad? Probably not.

There is a sliding scale of opinions on how effective he might be but I think we all agree with the above. Personally I've seen him once or twice this season and thought he could be a useful option for us. I'm a sentimentalist too and do love to see our academy products fulfilling their potential with us so I may be slightly biased!

As others have pointed out it would be great if we could shift some of the dead weight (Hoedt, Lemina etc.) and this would change our outlook dramatically on squad building. it would be great to be able to give Reed his chance while also being able to dip into the market for the right player.

52 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Reed up against Charlie Austin at the moment, would be nice to see Fulham claw up to the automatics. 

Watching the game. Reed is playing really well. 

Edited by trousers

Two fantastic goal saving challenges tonight. I have watched him a lot recently and really think he deserves a chance next season. I feel a lot of people will be judging him based on the player he was when Koeman first gave him the debut. He has improved a lot since then and would really suit our style. 

Just now, Causer said:

Two fantastic goal saving challenges tonight. I have watched him a lot recently and really think he deserves a chance next season. I feel a lot of people will be judging him based on the player he was when Koeman first gave him the debut. He has improved a lot since then and would really suit our style. 

I was about to post similar. Very impressive.

57 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Reed up against Charlie Austin at the moment, would be nice to see Fulham claw up to the automatics.

Charlie Austin against Fulham away last season: 16 touches in 65 minutes, contributing the square root of f**k all;

Charlie Austin against Fulham this evening: 16 touches in 65 minutes, contributing the square root of f**k all.

At least he's consistent, I suppose. Best finisher at the club, my arse...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reed does seem to be playing much deeper than he did for us IIRC? Sitting just in front of the defence for most of the game. Wasn't he used as more of a box to box player when he played for us? He's very effective in the role he's playing at Fulham if this game is anything to go by. Could be my memory playing tricks on me for once of course...

Edited by trousers

15 minutes ago, Causer said:

Agree, admitted previously hadn’t really been following him, but watched the last few games and he’s been excellent. Amazing engine, absolutely everywhere, so many crucial tackles, can also pick a pass (not always sideways or backwards either!). You’d think he’d be Ralph’s sort of player. 

Appreciate he wasn’t deemed good enough before, but players improve and he clearly has, stands out in a decent Chapionship team and don’t see why he couldn’t do it in the Prem now. Think he’s 26(?) so just about to peak. With Hoj seemingly off we desperately need a replacement, seems like a no brainier to me. 

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

Reed does seem to be playing much deeper than he did for us IIRC? Sitting just in front of the defence for most of the game. Wasn't he used as more of a box to box player when he played for us? He's very effective in the role he's playing at Fulham if this game is anything to go by. Could be my memory playing tricks on me for once of course...

He has looked decent in the last few games, mopping up in front of the defense nicely but also once or twice this game showed he can carry the ball forward with confidence, something we could probably do with. Just the question of whether he could do the same job in the Premier league.

My mates a Fulham fan and he's had good things to say about him. I would like to see him back next season, if hes still not good enough then let him go after that, plenty of play off chasing championship teams for him to go to. 

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

With one year left, I feel we are going to sell him, he won't want to be a bitpart player here. Pleased to see him thrivefor Fulham.

Perhaps Ralph will decide he isn't going to be a bit part player and will get a decent amount of games. He is more suited to the style of play than Romeu.

Edited by Matthew Le God

18 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

With one year left, I feel we are going to sell him, he won't want to be a bitpart player here. Pleased to see him thrivefor Fulham.

If he stays I assume even if Ralph fancies him it would be a prerequisite to get an extension signed as we wouldn’t be willing to let him run down his contract. Reed would need assurances that with hojberg going he’d be given a fair chance to challenge for a starting berth, not be a bit part player. Personally I remember being impressed in particular when I saw him in the league cup quarter final against arsenal but he seemed to have a stamina issue back then.

He really does seem so suited to Ralph's way, watched him tonight and he was epic.

He's perfect for the press and the counter press, absolutely perfect. Sell PEH for £30m, give Reed a new contract and put that cash to use in other areas? Seems like that could be a good move going by how good he's been. Just question marks over his fitness, that's all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sell PEH for £30m, give Reed a new contract and put that cash to use in other areas?

The more i think about this the more it makes absolute sense. Unless Ralph is seeing a significant flaw that we can't then Reed ticks most boxes for me.

Edited by trousers

All season we have seen Reed improve and now I feel that he could do a damn good job as defensive midfield for us. He also has high tackle winning rate and plenty of speed as well as a huge lung bursting stamina engine. It is truly amazing how many last ditch and important tackles he has made.

I would offer him an extension for two years minimum and a promise of a fair chance to solve one of our major problem areas. He could save us a nsmall fortune on the pitch and help improve us from what we have right now/

13 minutes ago, Nolan said:

@LeG I suppose the question is would he extend his contract with us? 

It would be risky keeping him be another year to lose him for nothing in 12 months.

Surely it would take an absolute promise of game time.

I'm sure he's loved his time with the loan clubs, but you'd imagine his ultimate goal would be to succeed with us.

Always liked him, would have no issues at all with us utilising him as a Hojberg replacement - however if he isn't going to extend his contract and let's face it you could understand why, then we should cash in and try to get £15million or more for him from a promoted side or even from a championship team with money to spare. 

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Its been hinted to me that he will be returning to us. Club are monitoring him and very pleased with his development. Personally id give him another 2 years and try him out in the PL. His value will rocket and club are invested in developing our own. So many factors are involved though....what if fulham offer £18m and are promoted via play offs? What if Romeu and Lemina are sold? Just how good is Jankewitz? Ralph will be a good judge. Hes probably watched Reed in every game this season in his spare time. Ralph is meticulous and obsessive! 

Cheers for the candid reply @LeG - much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

I like the look of him as much as the next fan, but I can't imagine he's too keen on us at the moment. He's been repeatedly farmed out on loan, put in great performances and is loved by all at Fulham, who are looking at playoffs, if not automatic promotion. I suspect we will sell him to Fulham this summer, or loan again until his contract runs down. I doubt he will want to come back to Saints.

35 minutes ago, igsey said:

I like the look of him as much as the next fan, but I can't imagine he's too keen on us at the moment. He's been repeatedly farmed out on loan, put in great performances and is loved by all at Fulham, who are looking at playoffs, if not automatic promotion. I suspect we will sell him to Fulham this summer, or loan again until his contract runs down. I doubt he will want to come back to Saints.

If he is told by Hasenhuttl he'll be getting gametime for Saints in the Premier League why would he turn that down?

I've always thought there's a player in there with Reed but he was a little raw and his game needed refining.

Surely the whole point of loaning out our young players is to let them develop until they are at the level to get into our team, and it appears now Reed is at that point. Offer him at least a year's contract extension with the promise that he'll get a fair crack of the whip as Hojbjerg's replacement then reassess in January/next summer.

If it still hasn't worked out then sell him off, if it has we have effectively got our Hoj replacement for free allowing us to fund strengthening in other parts of the team.

Imo he has the attributes to fit very well into the way we play, it would be a shame to not at least see if he is up to it.

I've watched a few of the Fulham games on TV and he has easily been their best player since the restart. I think we'd be foolish to sell him with just a year left on his contract. Give him a new deal and see how he gets on next season. He's very good at reading the game, has high energy and loves getting stuck in. He looks like a good passer of the ball too. In theory he would fit into our system perfectly. 

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I've watched a few of the Fulham games on TV and he has easily been their best player since the restart. I think we'd be foolish to sell him with just a year left on his contract. Give him a new deal and see how he gets on next season. He's very good at reading the game, has high energy and loves getting stuck in. He looks like a good passer of the ball too. In theory he would fit into our system perfectly. 

Is your username short for 'Harrison' per chance...? ;):)

Edited by trousers

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed