the definitive Romeu thread

eddie

Played like a slow-motion Schneiderlin but done very well today, dovetailing with a deep-lying Ward-Prowse (who, incidentally, had his best game in a Saints shirt in a deeper position, moving the ball the quickly and accurately; something he should have been doing since seasons past). Good performance, my only concern is that if he doesn't get to a tackle in time he either (a) ends up with a yellow card or (b) gets completely done and is too slow to recover the situation.

Promising signs though. Good range of passing, too.

where is all this not tall stuff coming from? he looks a decent height to me. wikipedia and the premier league website has him down as 6ft tall which is taller than schneiderlin and schneiderlin always looked taller than wanyama (6ft2? my arse)

£5m? Might just be one of the best deals of the window...

Nah, cheap option ;)

Played like a slow-motion Schneiderlin

What a great way of putting it. Hopefully he'll pick the tempo up once he's settled, but it might be difficult unless he has a consistent midfield partner. He certainly made the role his own today after a few uncertain moments against Midtjyland.

Loved the way he sprinted half the pitch to go celebrate the first goal as well.

Edited by DuncanRG

Thought Romeo was immense today. Won nearly every tackle and header going and kept things ticking over with some good distribution. Looks a bargain at £5m.

Have to say that he came in at a difficult time, with Schneiderlein sold, Wanyama & Clasie ill and injured and into a team which had just lost form, Hopefully today will be a sign of things to come from him.

I really wish people would stop saying 'he's not Schneiderlin'....of course hes not, he's Romeu. And its nonsense to try and compare the two.

The way Romeu sprayed the ball around, nicked the ball of the toes of Norwich players and generally ran the game was mightily impressive and bodes well.

We looked way better without 2 dedicated DMs and ROmeu is the class that Wanyama is not, but thinks he is

How times have changed. Some of us remember our first £1 million pound player.

....or when Ron Davies' £55k signing was the club's record transfer fee......:blush:.

......but then again...my (late) father recalled the rejoicing in the club's Boardroom .....after we got £6000 from Arsenal for Ted Drake's signature..

Wasn't that Alan McLoughlin, who turned out to be ****e. Our record of "record signings" isn't very good...

He was, but the thing that surprised me with his signing, is that he was never allowed to play in a free role that he had at Swindon but was played in a wide position, and his effectiveness was lost (assuming he could have made the transition to the higher league anyway, that is).

Then Branfoot arrived, and McLoughlin didn't suit his hoof and physical approach (Paul Moody & Dowie were preferred). Added to which we had a clause to pay a further installment to Swindon once he reached a set number of appearance, and once that was near he was not near the first team again.

All in all, the transfer was a failure.

I'm more than a little relieved to see that virtually everyone on here who has actually seen Romeu play properly says that he's a decent player, because every time I see him on MOTD he is engaged in giving the bloody ball away.

I'm planning on getting back to St Marys soon - and if he's as terrible as the TV makes him look then you lot are in for a rocket!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So he's been here a year... I believe he signed a 3 year deal so he's now in that 2 year window.

What do we think? Sign him up on a new one? Or is he destined to be the next Jack Cork, where we love him, but we lose him.

I say sign him up on a new deal.

So he's been here a year... I believe he signed a 3 year deal so he's now in that 2 year window.

What do we think? Sign him up on a new one? Or is he destined to be the next Jack Cork, where we love him, but we lose him.

Definitely sign up long term, Oriol is a top player.

If you are looking for endorsement, you've got it! Great player plagued by injury and being associated with Chelsea. Sound familiar? Ryan Bertrand, Jack Cork, Oriol Romeu. Scousers rob us, we rob Chelsea sounds like a deal.

I have always thought Romeu to be a better than Wanyama but not given the best chances through Koeman's erratic judgements of individuals, one day your crap the next day the bees knees. Give the lad a five year deal if he'll take it, we will likely depend upon him and Jordie Clasie this year.

If you are looking for endorsement, you've got it! Great player plagued by injury and being associated with Chelsea. Sound familiar? Ryan Bertrand, Jack Cork, Oriol Romeu. Scousers rob us, we rob Chelsea sounds like a deal.

I have always thought Romeu to be a better than Wanyama but not given the best chances through Koeman's erratic judgements of individuals, one day your crap the next day the bees knees. Give the lad a five year deal if he'll take it, we will likely depend upon him and Jordie Clasie this year.

Yes ..... and I noticed that a few of our Academy scholars were formerly " Chelsea rejects ", but are doing quite well in our U18 side.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...