Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

It doesn't come as a surprise that people are interested in us, if anything I'm surprised it's taken this long. However as long as Kat Liebherr is happy to be here, I'm happy as we are. I'm not sure how I'd feel if someone came in and started throwing money at the team to make us the new Man City...

Clearly the 'timing' of this is to unsettle the club and take the spotlight off the biggest game at SMS.

I bet its some chancer that showed an interest months ago and now its being used to unsettle the club.

There is nothing to suggest these chinese people have any idea of what they are doing and nobody like Katharina or Krueger would sell to a load of charlatans wanting to make profits from selling assets.

If there was a buyer for SFC it wouldnt happen during season and i would guess would be american anyway.

Adam Leitch ‏@adamleitchsport 4m4 minutes ago

Understand that #saintsfc have held initial talks with Lander Sports Development. Discussions at early stages but considered serious. Could lead to #saintsfc takeover, or just investment. Could also lead to nothing. Katharina Liebherr conducting her own due diligence.She could have sold at major profit many times in last few years. Will only do so if convinced in best long terms interests of #saintsfc

Makes me less worried that KL is only willing to sell if its in the best interests of the club

If we got owners who didn't sell our best players every Summer it would be better. It's difficult to get too carried away with another VVD masterclass when it jsut means he will be sold in the Summer to the highest bidder.

Yes, it could be a change for the better, like King Power's purchase of Leicester.

Clearly the 'timing' of this is to unsettle the club and take the spotlight off the biggest game at SMS.

I bet its some chancer that showed an interest months ago and now its being used to unsettle the club.

There is nothing to suggest these chinese people have any idea of what they are doing and nobody like Katharina or Krueger would sell to a load of charlatans wanting to make profits from selling assets.

If there was a buyer for SFC it wouldnt happen during season and i would guess would be american anyway.

I'm guessing there's too much smoke around for there not to be a fire smouldering somewhere....

Adam Leitch ‏@adamleitchsport 4m4 minutes ago

Understand that #saintsfc have held initial talks with Lander Sports Development. Discussions at early stages but considered serious. Could lead to #saintsfc takeover, or just investment. Could also lead to nothing. Katharina Liebherr conducting her own due diligence.She could have sold at major profit many times in last few years. Will only do so if convinced in best long terms interests of #saintsfc

Makes me less worried that KL is only willing to sell if its in the best interests of the club

Investment wouldn't be so bad I'd like the Liebherrs to continue to own the controlling share of club because I trust them to do what's right for the club.

You've got to be philosophical about it. But frankly we have been treated extremely well in having owners with a long term philosophy, even if that is to sell off eventually, they left the football side in continuous and stable development, League 1 to San Siro and all that, and without interference, except possibly for sacking Cortese...

The question for Saints supporters is whether new owners, whoever they may be and wherever they are from, will keep this same tried and proven methodology, - genuinely and frankly more honest than most, even if commercial considerations are there underneath - or whether they will interfere ("we need stars, we need to buy [some over the hill prima donna]") therefore knowing better than the football professionals in charge of day-to-day, or, worse, if they are asset strippers. There are plenty of dodgy or loony owners about, given that English football is badly under-regulated. More important to wear poppies than ensure financial probity? Let's hope KL does her due diligence properly

Possibly though they're a company in their own right and have attracted significant funding (£5bn). The investors are CCB international and more interestingly 黄龙 which is the main investor in Hangzhou Greentown football club and has the stadium named after it. As with most things in China, while ostensibly independent, it is funded by the local government (Zhejiang). The club was relegated last season from the top flight but is the main team in China's richest province.

If this goes through Steve please can I change my username to CCB Fry.

Lander could only make money out of this deal if we are successful on the pitch. Outside of the premier league, a £200m investment in a football club is a dog with fleas.

Wouldn't they be better off investing in that other South Coast powerhouse in Division 4? Much more profit to be made in a sleeping giant, surely?

They have a track record in property development... ;)

pTw183F.jpg

tjRHjMO.jpg

First of all I am very happy with the progress of our club under the stewardship of the Liebherr family

However if there was further investment to the ongoing benefit of the club I would like to see:

1. Improvement to the stadium and surrounding area in line with the attached plans

2. Development of the adjacent Itchen Quay area to include the relocation of the aggregate operations (anyone interested should look at the recently published Southampton Port Draft Plan which seems to provide for this as part of proposed Dibden Bay development). This would really improve the outlook of the river frontage around St Marys

3. Improvement of a metro style light rail system to include access to the Northam spur line and possible extension to the Royal Pier/Town Quay area.

4. Final upgrade to the Marchwood Training facility

5. Increased investment in the playing squad to make us real challengers for honours

Jesus, really? Who do you think a) knows about this, b) wants to leak it to unsettle the club and c) would be taken as a credible source by one of the most respected financial media organisations in the world?

Jesus, really? Who do you think a) knows about this, b) wants to leak it to unsettle the club and c) would be taken as a credible source by one of the most respected financial media organisations in the world?

It's a shame that the pre-match build up to the Inter Milan game has been forgotten about while all the talk is on this. The timing could have been better for the story to leak.

It's a shame that the pre-match build up to the Inter Milan game has been forgotten about while all the talk is on this.

Has it, though?

It's a new topic of conversation, certainly, but it's not something that's going to happen overnight, whereas we will be less than one hour from kickoff this time tomorrow. It's this that'll be forgotten about as soon as people get to the ground.

IF TRUE.....it would be a step ahead....

For someone who (seemingly) didn't have much interest in football, Kat has come a long way to upholding her father's wish to see the club progress as it has during the last 7 years.

I don't recall ever reading that the Liebherr family had promised to hold onto the club ...for ever, ever Amen.

However, if the Chinese do intend to buy, they'll get a good deal at any price..and although Kat has come up with money to cover costs / debts of late, you can be sure that new owners wouldn't stop at £200 million.... having made an investment of that magnitude.

The only downside to any deal that put Nicola Cortese back in charge would be a renewal of his lifetime ban on MLT and Frannie...and their names would be expunged from the club's record books ......:rolleyes:

Why do the Liebherr family "need" investors? Serious question.

Why wouldn't they? If they sold a third of the club (at a third of its 200 million value) they'd make a tidy profit on Markus's investment, get someone else in to help fund the costs of the club and still retain a controlling share in

Markus's legacy. Meanwhile the Chinese investors get the kudos of being part owners of the greatest football club on earth...

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Liebherr era, they have got us back to a very good place. If the Chinese don't just see us as a means of an end to generate their own profits, I think the club need to explore such options, as although being careful as to what we wish for, maybe we are hitting that glass ceiling.

We have great owners so I would rather stick with them if I had a choice. But we don't so am happy to have new chinese owners if that's what happens.

Some people ****ed their pants when Cortese left and that turned out to be great for the club so best just wait and see.