Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

I'd rather remain with Katrina Leibherr and stability than take a gamble on some Chinese group of unknowns.

They might well invest heavily....but I'd rather stick with the way the club is run now and the trajectory we are on.

That's nice that is what you'd rather do. Unfortunately for you it isn't your decision. Also they wont be a Chinese group of unknowns. It'll be people who you seem to like choose. They've not let us down yet and I have full faith in them to get this right to as when the times comes.

It's like Puel, just because we don't know him doesn't mean he's ****.

Getting a few PMs asking for my thoughts on this so here goes....

Has Les and Kathryn taken us as far as they can and will? Imho YES

Will new owners take us up a level? No guarantees but why spend £200m to take us down a level?

Do we have more chance of keeping our best players and managers under new owners? Yes (can't get much worse)

Do I appreciate everything Kat and Les have done - yes I wish them well and thank them

Am I excited for change? Yes as the alternative is mid table prem and selling best players every summer

Thanks

That's the first time that I have seen you show blind optimism.

From the well connected Jeremy Wilson: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/02/southampton-in-talks-with-chinese-firm-lander-sports-development/?

It appears that the period of due diligence is for mutual purposes. I seem to recall a couple of years Ralph saying a couple of years ago that if KL ever sold they would make sure that the new owners were right for SFC.

On a slightly separate note did the9 get a shout on the Football Ramble the other day? They mentioned a bloke who was a Newport fan who was out in Milan

Bizarrely no, there are apparently two Newport County and Saints supporting people who like the Football Ramble. :o

Btw I'm on page 3 of this thread and no-one yet seems to have linked to one of our ITKs (I think it was Monk) flagging Chinese interest in buying the club up in a thread a couple of months ago.

If that's true then I assume the club will soon be making a reassuring statement?

Why? Its a business owned by an individual. They won't communicate anything they don't need to, especially as these situations and fluid and can change quickly.

For all those within earlobe spotting distance of the St.Mary's director's box at tomorrow's game, I believe this is the man we're looking out for...

dsz_tp.jpg

Should be easy to spot, will be wearing a half and half scarf.

More to the point, people bemoaning the lack of singing, we will not be able to sing Liebherr Wonderland any more. Perhaps "The Chinese Way" might catch on.

FWIW I'm wary overall as we've been so successful (relatively speaking) under the Liebherrs, and even though all indications are that Katharina is keen to preserve Markus' legacy it's still no guarantee that we'll have the kind of stewardship we've had before.

Of course, if it's more of the same but with more cash and keeping hold of the kind of players who've been leaving whilst staying legit within FFP, and we end up loaded, as the biggest and most successful club in China and the USA, that probably would be alright provided the basics stay the same. :D

Big face palm to all those giving it "NO WAY and "NOT WELCOME" our continual improvement since 2009 means this is inevitable, we can't go any further without big big money, yes that perhaps brings with it an amount of risk, but it may also project Southampton Football Club onto the world stage and make us real big hitters in world football......I swear some people on here would rather we were a small "fan owned" club in division four.

Big face palm to all those giving it "NO WAY and "NOT WELCOME" our continual improvement since 2009 means this is inevitable, we can't go any further without big big money, yes that perhaps brings with it an amount of risk, but it may also project Southampton Football Club onto the world stage and make us real big hitters in world football......I swear some people on here would rather we were a small "fan owned" club in division four.

The thing is at this point based on the limited information available, I'm not sure that Lander has big money. I suppose that posting an annual loss could be indicative of some kind of financial planning strategy or reorganization rather than business problems but it does not sound all that promising to me. The article itself says that Saints would be Lander's biggest asset, so we won't exactly be a billionaire's plaything like City or Chelski. Does this also raise the possibility of a leveraged purchase, with the purchase debt saddled on the club?

I'd have thought given all the whinging and moaning about Katherinas lack of ambition, investment, interest and assets stripping, Ralph being clueless div who is an embarrassment in front of the cameras and Les Reed ballsing up everything he touches people would be delighted with a change of ownership?

Can't go any further? 'Big face palm' to the likes of you greedy for 'investment'. Yeah every Chinese investor is going to put their clubs on a world stage. WBA and Villa on the march to displace City and Arsenal.

I don't know if it is a bad thing but people thinking we will be a step away from the world stage - dear me. From Allam to Vincent Tan there are plenty of examples of colossal egos who think a bit of money combined with their business nous will take their club to the top. Easy isn't it and no way someone is signing for Arsenal when they could go to West Brom

Good of you to point out that we have improved continually since 2009.

The argument that we can't go further without big money is the same one the Venkys made and the current Chinese owners at Villa and all the other big money but no sense owners that have blighted our leagues over the last few years.

Our continual improvement over the last seven seasons has been largely due to the excellent stewardship of our club under the current owners. Many on here predicted disaster this season because in the summer we didn't spend big money on the likes of Zaza or Bony or Berahinho or Sigurdsson. Show some ambition was their rallying cry but now the reality of a fine manager, promising young players and probably the best squad we've had in years is apparent they're not showing some contrition for their ridiculous posts back in September.

A potential wheelbarrow full of money is being dangled and the salivating is starting because they think money is a fast track to success.

We spent way less than the likes of West Ham and Stoke over the summer and yet they seem to have gone backwards whilst we are continuing our relentless march forwards.

It's not money that makes a good club, it's how the club is run and on that point I think we're some of the most fortunate fans in the league.

hopefully we get sold to (one day) some mega rich/group who want to splash the cash, expand the mega-dome and not sell our best players every summer

We'll have three £20m players for every position by the time 2018 is out, watched by 50,000 fans at every single match all paying seven quid each.

Our new Chinese overlords then just sit back and watch that hot dog revenue roll in.

The very best that can happen is that we will be no worse off than we are now.

KL takes NO money out of he club at operating level. If we get new Chinese investors, let's hope they do the same. But I doubt it, most investors expect a regular return on their investment, not wait years to maybe make a profit if the club gets sold on to a higher bidder.

We'll have three £20m players for every position by the time 2018 is out, watched by 50,000 fans at every single match all paying seven quid each.

Our new Chinese overlords then just sit back and watch that hot dog revenue roll in.

So even with our new mega rich Chinese owners we still can't afford players like Bolasie and Benteke.....Pants

I do think we have come as far as KL is willing to take us.

And this summer has indicated to me that Les's magic glitter has started running out.

So what alternative is there to selling up if we want to continue progressing ?

I do however, trust KL and Krueger to ensure we end up with the right owners. Even if Lander doesnt work out, the message is out that we are up for sale and it will eventually be someone else.

The Liebherr era is drawing to a close, one way or the other.

And this summer has indicated to me that Les's magic glitter has started running out.

I do however, trust KL and Krueger to ensure we end up with the right owners. Even if Lander doesnt work out, the message is out that we are up for sale and it will eventually be someone else.

What from this summer has indicated this? :lol: :mcinnes:

No need to panic, it's only £3.40 on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/272383764961?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484323026&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045442&device=c&campaignid=620865095&crdt=0

I must admit my gut re-action to the possibility we are being sold to the Chinese was one of concern.ML and then KL with the fantastic team she has around her have transformed our club into a well oiled club that is the envy of many in football.There is no doubt we are a very attractive proposition for a potential buyer.I have trusted ML and then KL in doing what was best for SFC and they have never let us down, despite the minority on here that feel the opposite.....All good things must one day come to an end and i'm sure everyone of us knew that one day KL would call time on her journey with us......if that time is now, all I can say is a massive thank you to KL and her family for not only saving our club but transforming it into the highly respected football club it is today.I fully trust that she would do her utmost to make sure that any prospective buyer of the club have the clubs best intentions at heart.

What from this summer has indicated this? :lol: :mcinnes:

I'm not sure but alps has reared his head since our loss to a very good Chelsea side - I think he may have run out of his kingsize Snickers the miserable sod... but let's remember he has predicted doom and gloom every since season since Huddersfield were inevitably going to pip us to promotion out of League 1... and then when our luck was going to run out in the championship... oh and then when we were going to face a struggle every single season in the prem because we are run like a shoddy b&b. He is oh so very desperate to be right so he can give a big TOLD YOU SO to us all who don't clearly have a screw loose unlike him. Nutcase.

hopefully we get sold to (one day) some mega rich/group who want to splash the cash, expand the mega-dome and not sell our best players every summer

Thankfully Saints are run on a sustainable footing so don't need or even want money throwing at them. Personally, I'm not so sure I want to hang on to our best players. If the last six years have taught us anything it is that moving players on for inflated prices has enabled us to recruit even better players.

If that's true then I assume the club will soon be making a reassuring statement?

To be fair he said "Not For Sale", that doesnt mean they arent negotiating a part share in the club or investment. If either of those are the case they certainly arent going to make a statement as this point in time.

I'd have thought given all the whinging and moaning about Katherinas lack of ambition, investment, interest and assets stripping, Ralph being clueless div who is an embarrassment in front of the cameras and Les Reed ballsing up everything he touches people would be delighted with a change of ownership?

I'm sure the c.0.07℅ of Saints supporters that hold that opinion are indeed delighted... ;)

Good of you to point out that we have improved continually since 2009.

The argument that we can't go further without big money is the same one the Venkys made and the current Chinese owners at Villa and all the other big money but no sense owners that have blighted our leagues over the last few years.

Our continual improvement over the last seven seasons has been largely due to the excellent stewardship of our club under the current owners. Many on here predicted disaster this season because in the summer we didn't spend big money on the likes of Zaza or Bony or Berahinho or Sigurdsson. Show some ambition was their rallying cry but now the reality of a fine manager, promising young players and probably the best squad we've had in years is apparent they're not showing some contrition for their ridiculous posts back in September.

A potential wheelbarrow full of money is being dangled and the salivating is starting because they think money is a fast track to success.

We spent way less than the likes of West Ham and Stoke over the summer and yet they seem to have gone backwards whilst we are continuing our relentless march forwards.

It's not money that makes a good club, it's how the club is run and on that point I think we're some of the most fortunate fans in the league.

An excellent post.

All of this could be like some people put their houses on the market just to see what the value is, and how much it potentially is worth by the interest shown.

Chinese could be the bait on the hook to catch the Sultan of Brunei or someone of similar mega wealth who has cousins who can assist facilitate the FFP chicanery that Man City have pulled off. You might find behind the closed doors of SMS, whilst this sustainable approach is working nicely the timescale of becoming a football superpower at the current pace is going to take donkeys years to achieve so a little accelerant is required.