Fulham 0 Saints 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

Manager: usual subs by numbers. No apparent ability to make proactive changes. Should have been Gabbiadini for Long earlier, Lemina for Davis, not Hojbjerg and either leave Boufal on or give Sims a run. Redmond is not the answer.

This, for me, is his biggest weakness. No ability whatsoever to read the game, hence being out-thought by numerous opposition managers.

The manager's substitutions weakened the team. He never changes the game for the better choosing to leave his substitutions until after the opposition but instead of countering the opposition just changes like for like and leaves everything the same. Yesterday Hojbjerg was showing no signs of tiredness and is our best midfielder. Lamina could have been added to Romeu and Hojbjerg which would have won the midfield at a vital time. The pacy Sims should have been given an outing if Boufal was going to be changed. Long worked his socks off but Gabbiadini should have been on from the start instead of Davis which would have helped Long. Gabbiadini isn't a lone striker and never will be he needs to play with Long either leading the line or coming in off the right. I don't like this formation as we don't get enough players forward except at set pieces. too many ball recyclers and not enough runners.

Gabbiadini looked livid at the end, shaking his head walking off - not sure if it was with himself for the glaring miss or just ****ed off with only getting on for a few minutes. Think NR is making a point of not acknowledging the fans after the booing.

I think it was a case of him being a bit embarrassed by all the chanting of his name despite the fact he he missed a sitter - as if he didn't deserve the support. The support was immense, and surprised me a bit in our positivity (laced with a bit of irony). It makes me feel that even if we go down, it won't be the end of the world as it's the supporters that make the club and we've got a great core in the main. Nice to hear the Le Tiss, Lambert, and (my son even thought he heard a) Fabrice Fernades chants!

It's good to get out there and away from the negativity of the forum. It's a lot better in the real world!

You really think there are none ? Ah, bless !!!

The whole Pellegrino out, Les Reed out, Ralph out, have a go at Tadic, Foster, Redmond, JWP etc, etc. cobblers that's spouted on here and all the associated infighting are Skates' wet dreams come true.

Be extremely naive to think that there aren't a few of them on here giving those bandwagons a good old nudge from time to time and stirring things up amongst our fanbase.

I do agree with Lord Ducky that the main problem with the overwhelming negativity on this site at the moment is the desire of a lot of posters to have their uninformed opinions that they have proclaimed to the world as self-evident facts "proved right" and that, at times, this overrides their desire to see Saints do well. Manna from heaven for your cheeky Skate looking to sow bit of discord.

I was disappointed when Stoke sacked Hughes yesterday, because I assumed that their results will improve when they bring a new manager in. West Brom seem to be the only team so far this season not to experience a new manager bounce. Even Swansea got a win against Watford with their new guy, a Championship cast-off.

Stoke, West Brom, Swansea etc supporters probably have the same attitude to Pellegrino, who at around 17% has just about the worst winning record of any Saints manager in PL history. Even Steve Wigley has a slightly better winning record. They will be disappointed if we fire him and bring in a competent replacement, because there’s a good chance our performances and results will improve.

I imagine that a skate probably has the same attitude to Pellegrino as our relegation rivals - they want us to keep him, because they know that there’s a decent chance he’ll take us down if he stays. All this to say, the truth is probably the exact opposite of what you’re saying.

I'm still waiting for him to be the match winning, game changer of a player people keeping promising he is........

Nah tbf he’s not been our best player (arguably you could say PEH) for the last 6 weeks

Manager: usual subs by numbers. No apparent ability to make proactive changes. Should have been Gabbiadini for Long earlier, Lemina for Davis, not Hojbjerg and either leave Boufal on or give Sims a run. Redmond is not the answer.

Yep, that's about it I reckon. Davis put the effort in and was playing more advanced but he seems to have lost a bit of pace and sharpness and yesterday gave weight to my thoughts that he's been in decline recently. Doesn't anybody else on the managerial bench have any input - "Looks like Long is knacked, boss .."? Gabbiadini should at least have been warming up ready some time before. Good shout to have a look at Sims as well. Another here who thinks Bertrand is not putting the effort in.

Oh well, we're in the draw, and I'm not too bothered about round 4 as long as we get through as I'm on holiday.

Was an absolutely brilliant day out- and result was a bonus!

Was at the Kings Arm prematch, was a decent atmosphere in there.

My first trip to Craven Cottage and had to say I liked the away day out there, hopefully they can get promoted and some northern team can leave. Actually on second thoughts maybe with Pellegrino we’ll be playing Fulham next year anyway :(

Atmopshere was generally good, only time there was true vitriol towards Pellegrino tho was with substitution of Hojbjerg.

Just want to say fair play to Yoshida, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Hojbjerg who gave their shirts at the end. Wish more did it!

Means a lot to the average fan!

**** me, this place will really be in meltdown, if we beat Watford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so it should be. I am glad we won, and I imagine the majority of the fans are too, but that does not mean our problems are over. The fan base reaction is as a result of the performances over the season so far not one game, compounded by the rest of teams struggling all taking action, whilst we remain blissfully rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Do you really believe that performance or team would have won at Watford?

The whole Pellegrino out, Les Reed out, Ralph out, have a go at Tadic, Foster, Redmond, JWP etc, etc. cobblers that's spouted on here and all the associated infighting are Skates' wet dreams come true.

Be extremely naive to think that there aren't a few of them on here giving those bandwagons a good old nudge from time to time and stirring things up amongst our fanbase.

I do agree with Lord Ducky that the main problem with the overwhelming negativity on this site at the moment is the desire of a lot of posters to have their uninformed opinions that they have proclaimed to the world as self-evident facts "proved right" and that, at times, this overrides their desire to see Saints do well. Manna from heaven for your cheeky Skate looking to sow bit of discord.

Your assumption that critisism on this site comes from the Skates is totally illogical....

Skates would love us to continue doing poorly - wouldn’t they?

So my question is why would they be calling for change?

It is the ‘Happy Clappies’ that are more likely to be from down the road, if anyone has a motive for seeing our poor management continue it would most definitely be those that love Pompey...

Self evident facts are that we are in serious danger of being relegated, this cannot be disputed even by the most optimistic of Happy’s....

The manager's substitutions weakened the team. He never changes the game for the better choosing to leave his substitutions until after the opposition but instead of countering the opposition just changes like for like and leaves everything the same. Yesterday Hojbjerg was showing no signs of tiredness and is our best midfielder. Lamina could have been added to Romeu and Hojbjerg which would have won the midfield at a vital time. The pacy Sims should have been given an outing if Boufal was going to be changed. Long worked his socks off but Gabbiadini should have been on from the start instead of Davis which would have helped Long. Gabbiadini isn't a lone striker and never will be he needs to play with Long either leading the line or coming in off the right. I don't like this formation as we don't get enough players forward except at set pieces. too many ball recyclers and not enough runners.

Exactly what I was saying in our pub. Never changes the style of play or formation, sticks with something that is patently not working very well, just changes the personnel to do exactly the same job as the person coming off.

Opposition managers must be laughing up their sleeves as they see no response to their own tactical changes and more often than not come out on top against us.

While I agree that mope doesn't have a grasp on how to affect a game through subs, the fact that we drop off after we score isn't exactly his doing IMO. I know it sounds strange as team tactics are basically the sum total of his job but, after the palace defeat he complained about the team dropping 5 yards back in the second half and sounded as if he hadn't a clue why that happened. Only reasons I can think of are either the players are purposefully veering off of instructions as a way of forcing him out or he doesnt give the instructions which to me sounds worse.

I think Alison Mitchell is a fairly decent commentator

Then the rest must be utter ****e, if you're referring to the voice that accompanied the highlights on the BBC that I had the misfortune to see while round someone else's. Usually only bother with the two who do it from the OS and they are ok most of the time.

Then the rest must be utter ****e, if you're referring to the voice that accompanied the highlights on the BBC that I had the misfortune to see while round someone else's. Usually only bother with the two who do it from the OS and they are ok most of the time.

Alison Mitchell is one of the Test match commentators on BT's cricket coverage. I was very sceptical on first hearing but, fair play, she knows her stuff.

Alison Mitchell is one of the Test match commentators on BT's cricket coverage. I was very sceptical on first hearing but, fair play, she knows her stuff.

Well the other bird Ebony doesn’t . Listening last night she called the gap between change of innings “half time”. Football or cricket, they sound like they’re nagging, not commentating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well the other bird Ebony doesn’t . Listening last night she called the gap between change of innings “half time”. Football or cricket, they sound like they’re nagging, not commentating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ebony :lol:

You love it pal.

92125.jpg

Edited by shurlock

Completely agree with this. A lot of the posters on here would rather be negative, hoping that they'll get that "I told you so" moment rather than actually get behind their club and their team.

The Skates posters take advantage of this to stir things up more - good sport for them since they've got no meaningful team of their own anymore.

I don't recall many (if any) I told you so postings, only responses to some of the Puel out mob who keep insisting it was the correct decision. I was wrong about the Pardew and Adkins sackings (especially the latter), and I would've loved to be wrong about the Puel one too. If you insist I'll say I told you so, but it gives me no pleasure being right this time.

Who do you suspect to be a skate then?

Pretty much doing the job you would expect of a club captain, trying to get people to pull together.

And he also said "To be fair, I thought they [our fans] were in good voice today as well, and came here in good numbers.”

But guess that doesn't make as juicy a headline.

All the talk of Davis having a howler of a game, yet all the highlights I saw (admittedly only MoTD) showed him in the thick of it, and also being instrumental in the build up to the JWP goal?

He didn't have a howler of a game. He was average. Nobody had a howler, largely because Fulham were so powder puff and put us under no real pressure.

Davis, the milkiest player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, has the cheek to talk about we are all fighting. I wish! He might pass sideways and backwards, run about a bit mostly finding space out of harm's way, but his closing down is ineffectual mostly not getting in tight and he never ever goes in to a full blooded tackle, at the best trying to nick the ball away without getting a clatter.

Up front he never gets in where he might get hurt and pulls out of shots if it looks like there is a challenge coming in. He leaves a bloody great hole wherever he plays. I've lost count of the number of times he failed to track an opponent and the ball ended up in our net. As far as I am concerned if he never played again it would be too soon. Hojbjerg being pulled and Davis left on was a bloody disgrace and just emphasised the incompetence of this clown of a manager.

Davis, the milkiest player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, has the cheek to talk about we are all fighting. I wish! He might pass sideways and backwards, run about a bit mostly finding space out of harm's way, but his closing down is ineffectual mostly not getting in tight and he never ever goes in to a full blooded tackle, at the best trying to nick the ball away without getting a clatter.

Up front he never gets in where he might get hurt and pulls out of shots if it looks like there is a challenge coming in. He leaves a bloody great hole wherever he plays. I've lost count of the number of times he failed to track an opponent and the ball ended up in our net. As far as I am concerned if he never played again it would be too soon. Hojbjerg being pulled and Davis left on was a bloody disgrace and just emphasised the incompetence of this clown of a manager.

I don't disagree; but how do you rate Ward-Prowse? He strikes me as the repeat underachiever in our midfield for the past 5 - 6 seasons.

Probably not but hes right though

He is, but we sang (positively) virtually all game, despite most people wanting Pellegrino sacked. That was the only time in the whole game something negative was sang (arguably the Gabbiadini chants as well), but none of it was getting on the team's back. I was surprised there wasn't a lot more. It's difficult for fans to get behind the team without it looking like they're also behind the manager.

I don't disagree; but how do you rate Ward-Prowse? He strikes me as the repeat underachiever in our midfield for the past 5 - 6 seasons.

Precisely but he isn't milky even if he isn't quick enough or doesn't tackle well however he gives everything every game. Still useful but too sideways and backward thinking and playing above his level.

Precisely but he isn't milky even if he isn't quick enough or doesn't tackle well however he gives everything every game. Still useful but too sideways and backward thinking and playing above his level.

He does try his heart out - it's just not good enough, and the perseverance with him strikes me as one of the reasons we are in relegation trouble.

One thing I noticed from the game on Saturday was how a few times the ball was played into the right channel, and we just didn't have any pace to exploit it with Davis and JWP as the two midfielders on that side. It makes me wonder why we don't try playing Boufal or Redmond (I mean, he's going to play no matter what...) centrally when JWP is right mid so that there's always an option of getting in behind, even if the 'winger' isn't capable of it.

Do you think Boufal is played wide so that when he inevitably loses the ball, it's not in as dangerous a position for us defensively? Because I think he could be more effective centrally, in the same way that Mane was. It would also mean we could put Tadic on the left (i.e. the only position he plays well), and Boufal could then make runs to both wings to help with our lack of pace on the wings.

One thing I noticed from the game on Saturday was how a few times the ball was played into the right channel, and we just didn't have any pace to exploit it with Davis and JWP as the two midfielders on that side. It makes me wonder why we don't try playing Boufal or Redmond (I mean, he's going to play no matter what...) centrally when JWP is right mid so that there's always an option of getting in behind, even if the 'winger' isn't capable of it.

Do you think Boufal is played wide so that when he inevitably loses the ball, it's not in as dangerous a position for us defensively? Because I think he could be more effective centrally, in the same way that Mane was. It would also mean we could put Tadic on the left (i.e. the only position he plays well), and Boufal could then make runs to both wings to help with our lack of pace on the wings.

This is obviously what we should do. I'm not being sarcastic. It's obvious. No idea why we don't.

At the moment Long has to play because he is the only player with the pace and physicality to work against more than one defender, because Gabbiadini whilst a good finisher relies on assists to take chances but is physically unable to play on his own. Personally as Long is quite good with crosses from the right and we stick with this inappropriate ultra defensive (as we play it) 4-2-3-1 we could play Gabbiadini up front supported by Long, Boufal behind but with Sims given a go on the left as he is a good runner and quick. We then though are left with choosing from Romeu, Hojbjerg and Lamina (I've had it with Tadic, Davis, Redmond and JWP as they are not as good as the other three).

However I think we should change to 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3. 4-1-4-1 would see Romeu in front of the back four with Long, Lamina, Hojbjerg and Boufal behind Gabbiadini or alternatively Hojbjerg, Romeu and Lamina behind Long, Gabbiadini and Boufal thereby utilising our three best midfielders. For me that gives us our strongest players all on the field together. We really need to bring in three or four good players back to front that can competently do the job we need.

Edited by derry