• PEH
    • Lemina
    • Tadic
    • Gabbi
    • JWP
    • Boufal
    • Davis
    • Obafemi

Slightly disappointed we didn’t win. Chances for Obafemi and Boufal. I can forgive Obafemi, but that was terrible by Boufal to take that extra touch, the goal was gaping and a firm first time sidefoot would have done it. I think JWP or even Davis would have buried that chance. Always seems to fall to the wrong guy.

Great performance overall though, but as others have said, still no win in 11 and no use strutting about and then losing in the next 2 against easier opponents.

I'm all for trying youngsters but to put the kid on up front for the last 10 was a risk to far. it should have been Redmond. The kid froze, not his fault

Good point and happy for that but another 1-0 lead lost

You really think Redmond would have scored in that position? I don't.

I'll take the point but our marking at dead ball situations is a cluster****. We need to beat Watford on Saturday and Brighton on Wednesday and we will be on a bit of a run. We need to bring in a couple up front. Tadic is best on the left. Our substitutions because of the bench weakened the team and meant we spent the last ten minutes backed into our box but with more forwards we were able to get out. JWP covered a lot of ground and had one of his best games. McCarthy, once he came off his line helped us immensely and is playing well.

Sort of result you'd be pleased with if we had beaten a few of the poor sides. We haven't, so it's just another game without a win.

Spurs were really poor, there for the taking as Arsenal were.

We did play well but hard to get away from the fact the subs weakened us. Tadic and JWP looked dangerous on the left and fight. Why did he then move them both from those positions? Tadic is left winger. When he plays there, he's decent. Pellegrino somehow managed to make Boufal for Hojbjerg a defensive substitution. No idea how. Assumed Boufal would just go off the striker and Tadic and JWP would stay in the positions they'd been doing well in.

Oh well.

Yes, yet again we start well, but the clown is clueless with substitutions. For example, why didn't Boufal replace Tadic, instead of taking off the excellent Højbjerg?

Mind you, bringing on a kid in place of (presumably knackered) Gabbi shows the utter incompetence of Reed and the club in the striker department.

Yes, yet again we start well, but the clown is clueless with substitutions. For example, why didn't Boufal replace Tadic, instead of taking off the excellent Højbjerg?

Mind you, bringing on a kid in place of (presumably knackered) Gabbi shows the utter incompetence of Reed and the club in the striker department.

Hodj was carrying a knock and knackered so a good call.

With long I'll and Austin injured and gabbi not top form it was a fair substitution

I thought the starting 11 was the most positive thing MP has done for weeks. Yoshida in for Stephens and maybe Boufal in for Tadic and I think you've got our strongest 11. No doubt he'll change it all again for the next game but I'd like to see him sticking with Romeu, Lemina and Hoj and try to get some consistency in the middle.

Tadic, along with JWP and Bertrand, was our best player today.

I’d have probably taken off Lamina and dropped PEH back, but he did look leggy.

Glad the young lad got a chance, should have scored but I’m sure given another chance he will. Offered a hell of a lot more than Gabbi did for 80 minutes.

Today’s performance shows were not far off having a pretty decent team, just lacking a few bits (pace out wide, CF who can hold the ball up and a CB). Big 10 days to ensure we are ready for Brighton (who are in worse run of form in the league).

I’m concerned about our fitness. We looked dead after 70 mins, I’m not sure as a team we are fit enough (probably why we have conceded so many late goals in the half and why performance drops off second half). Personally, I’m not a fan of our set up in having a ‘sports scientist’, rather than an actual fitness coach.

Edited by SKD

I thought the starting 11 was the most positive thing MP has done for weeks. Yoshida in for Stephens and maybe Boufal in for Tadic and I think you've got our strongest 11. No doubt he'll change it all again for the next game but I'd like to see him sticking with Romeu, Lemina and Hoj and try to get them to gel.

Tadic as good today and Boufal was average, did you actually watch the game

Overall a fair result I would say.

Yes, we could have won it with the Obafemi / Boufal chances near the end, but Spurs could say the same with the Kane chance and the scramble that somehow went just wide.

Decent performance from us but as others have said it's the games against the bottom half sides that really matter, particularly at home, and those are what have put us in the bottom 3. So would still rather see us make a managerial change rather than waiting for the next disaster against a team around us.

I thought Betrand and Tadic were both very good today, gave Spurs problems out wide and got good delivery into box. We still need more cutting edge though in the box which needs addressing by transfers in the next few days. Also JWP played well again and Lemina was better. Gabbi still not at the races though for me. Boufal not sharp enough when he came on. Doesn't deserve starting place on that evidence. Defence still a worry particularly at set pieces.

That was good today, we battled away and ground out a point against a team far more talented than ours. JWP, Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric, JWP, PEH, Tadic all did well. No lack of effort at all. It's still hard to accept this team is below Brighton, Newcastle, Huddersfield to name just 3. Only 4 points off 10th which shows you how blocked up with crap this league is.

I thought the midfield did well in general, Ward Prowse and Tadic were actually very good today. Very shaky from set pieces - Jack Stephens just isn't good enough in the air or physical enough to be a first choice premier league centre back. We know we can play well against the better sides but we're always let down with a shocking display following on from these. The Brighton game is seriously massive now.

Disagree about Tadic - thought he was very effective today and still our best hope of creating a goal towards the end.

Hodj was carrying a knock and knackered so a good call.

With long I'll and Austin injured and gabbi not top form it was a fair substitution

Didn't know PEH had a knock, but if so Davies should've come on for him.

And I don't blame him for the kid coming on, that's down to the club's criminal incompetence in the striker department.

Good performance. Feeling much more optimistic after that. It was interesting to see the players' reactions to Pellegrino's instructions in the 2nd half. Basically, they ignored them and one or two of them made a point of ignoring them. I don't know how that's going to pan out for the remainder of the season but it certainly worked today.

We still need a goal scoring striker and a tall, dominant central defender.

Good performance. Feeling much more optimistic after that. It was interesting to see the players' reactions to Pellegrino's instructions in the 2nd half. Basically, they ignored them and one or two of them made a point of ignoring them. I don't know how that's going to pan out for the remainder of the season but it certainly worked today.

We still need a goal scoring striker and a tall, dominant central defender.

What did they ignore? :rolleyes:

You do post some stupid stuff

Sort of result you'd be pleased with if we had beaten a few of the poor sides. We haven't, so it's just another game without a win.

Spurs were really poor, there for the taking as Arsenal were.

We did play well but hard to get away from the fact the subs weakened us. Tadic and JWP looked dangerous on the left and fight. Why did he then move them both from those positions? Tadic is left winger. When he plays there, he's decent. Pellegrino somehow managed to make Boufal for Hojbjerg a defensive substitution. No idea how. Assumed Boufal would just go off the striker and Tadic and JWP would stay in the positions they'd been doing well in.

Oh well.

****'s sake they weren't "there for the taking" were they. Today was a good performance against a good side. The basic point that it's the crap performances and results against the crap teams in this league that is the problem is correct but Spurs were not "there for the taking".

Tadic, along with JWP and Bertrand, was our best player today.

I’d have probably taken off Lamina and dropped PEH back, but he did look leggy.

Glad the young lad got a chance, should have scored but I’m sure given another chance he will. Offered a hell of a lot more than Gabbi did for 80 minutes.

Today’s performance shows were not far off having a pretty decent team, just lacking a few bits (pace out wide, CF who can hold the ball up and a CB). Big 10 days to ensure we are ready for Brighton (who are in worse run of form in the league).

I’m concerned about our fitness. We looked dead after 70 mins, I’m not sure as a team we are fit enough (probably why we have conceded so many late goals in the half and why performance drops off second half). Personally, I’m not a fan of our set up in having a ‘sports scientist’, rather than an actual fitness coach.

Tadic was very good today, and I only would've brought on Boufal (who I like BTW) if Tadic was knackered. Certainly not to replace PEH.

Great point IMO. Also, we never capitulated in the 2nd half

great performance from midfield.

JwP my MoM too. thought we looked far better with Rom, Lemina and Hoj on the park.

They had a couple of very good chances and thought Stephens showed us once again that he is terrible in the air. awful.

great point but have had great points before like against arsenal and Man United but went back to being crap against a team battling around us in the league.

But today, good stuff and looked a lot better than a side 18th.....for today anyway

That was good today, we battled away and ground out a point against a team far more talented than ours. JWP, Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric, JWP, PEH, Tadic all did well. No lack of effort at all. It's still hard to accept this team is below Brighton, Newcastle, Huddersfield to name just 3. Only 4 points off 10th which shows you how blocked up with crap this league is.

And also shows how crap our manager is.

Can't fault the effort and midfield worked incredibly hard. Need a new CB - Stephens isn't cut out for it and should be DM, allow Rom and Lemina further forward. Tadic showed what he can do if he's played on the LEFT (in the unlikely event the idiot of a manager ever reads this). Need another 3 or 4 faces quickly though, pace and power to shake things up. Davis has been a great servant but nearly went wrong when he came on after Lemina ran out of petrol.

The referee = what the actual fook?

FUnny - all the commentators were purring about Stephens performance and felt he was outstanding. Still this forum knows best eh?

By all means slate Pellegrino for most of this season....but not today....he really didn't do anything wrong. It was the final 1/3 we were weak (as it has been since Pelle and Mane were sold) and Gabbi was awful.

FUnny - all the commentators were purring about Stephens performance and felt he was outstanding. Still this forum knows best eh?

By all means slate Pellegrino for most of this season....but not today....he really didn't do anything wrong. It was the final 1/3 we were weak (as it has been since Pelle and Mane were sold) and Gabbi was awful.

Stephens is great when not having to head the ball under pressure

It was odd that we were dropping deeper and playing more defensive yet ended up taking off two defensively stronger players. But, there was a hint that Hojbjerg was carrying a knock, and certainly Lemina was clattered a short while before his substitution. I'm tempted not to give Pellegrino the benefit of the doubt because of his ineptitude so far this season, but I think that might be a little unfair.

Also, Tadic was playing really well! I thought the error was switching him to RW when he plays so much better on the left. BUT, having said that, he created the chances for Obafemi and Boufal from that position so wasn't all bad.

My main concern with our tactics was how deep we dropped yet again second half, and of course the fact that we are horrendous at defending set pieces. But when Jack Stephens is one of your strongest players in the air, you know you're going to have issues regardless of the manager!

Edit: Sorry just seen you replied to others who raised similar points.

Edited by mrfahaji

Good performance, lots of commitment on the pitch which is great to see. Atmosphere decent at times, could sense the nerves in the stands at times though.

We really are missing leadership at the back though, we need to sign a CB this month.

That would be nice, but a goal scoring CF is infinitely more important (along with a non-clown manager of course).

Excellent to get a point from a game where most of us were expecting a thumping.

But as said before, it counts for nothing if we revert to type in the next match and balls that up. On the strength of previous experience after such games against the more glamorous opponents I don't think we can rely on MP to motivate for the upcoming Brighton & WBA matches, so perfect opportunity to make the change now. But we know that's unlikely and instead Reed will probably allow MP to indulge in bringing his preferred 'bit part' player from Monaco in and see how that goes before taking any action.

Didn't know PEH had a knock, but if so Davies should've come on for him.

strikes me, that you are just looking for things to attack MP with. Davis had a shocker last week. Hoj was playing quite far forward, so it made sense to give Boufal his head and try and win the game. A very good Spurs block at the end and he would have done exactly that.

Well played Saints. Really glad we got a point as Spurs have some real quality up front.

Under other circumstances this would be a good point.

But today ts not enough and its probably saved Mope’s job to underachieve in another sixpointer.

Still think we are going down. The worst result possible.

Disagree Alpine. We can still get out of trouble but it will be a slog and tight. A win over Brighton will put is right in the mix. 17th !

Great point. Spurs weren't good, but maybe that's because we made them look bad.

Don't want to get carried away though. Now is the ideal time to change the manager. Might be harsh on MP after today, but not when judged over the whole season.

Thought Ward-Prowse played really well.

Stephens is a good footballer. He is comfortable on the ball, and as a defender he puts his body on the line, makes good blocks, and stands up to even the very best strikers in one-on-one situations very well. Unfortunately he is very weak in the air and has poor positional sense. He was ball watching for the goal, for example. He lost Kane in the same way that he lost Ibrahimovic in the EFL Cup final. Yes, they are top players, but he gets found out by them.

What I don't understand though, is that heading is a skill that can be coached and practised. I realise that footballers are only contracted to work 2 hours a day or whatever it is, but if Southampton or Stephens himself have ambitions for him to be a good PL centre back, he needs to be better at heading. You'd think, if they're not doing it already (which I highly doubt), he would be doing extra sessions to get better. I have heard (maybe from someone on here) that players NEVER practise heading, because of the health implications. Understandable in some ways, but too bad if you're rubbish at it and it's going to stop you having a top career.