Saints 1-3 Liverpool - Reactions

Lighthouse

Was sat directly in line with Salah and he was clearly offside in the build up to the scrappy equaliser !

It should never have stood and could well have changed the balance of the game !

Also close to the Van Dyck foul which was given the other way when Sims broke clear !

Two atrocious decisions given by an extremely cr@p linesman !

Grrr....

Meanwhile, back on sky, they are still droning on and on about liverpool, would you believe.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

This, absolutely vomit inducing from Liverpool TV. Really sucked having Carragher commentating.

By the way criticisms of Bertie defending are wide of the mark, did all he could, text book.

Annoying not to damage their title hopes after playing well, but tbf they absorbed our early pressure after going behind and started to dominate. Said to my mate "we might nick one on the break as thy pour forward" next minute they scored as we poured forward. Hey ho,we're gonna be alright and if the dippers do win it credit is due, they've lost once all season.

We were competitive and Ralph is doing a great job with what for the most part is a limited squad of players. Love to know how many goals we have conceded on the break from our own corner over the past two seasons, far too many that is for sure.

Wasn’t it Bertrand running back, not Valery? Really should have made a challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was 2 against 1 and tried his best to hold Salah up and try to force him onto his weaker foot, similar to what VVD did last week....it was an excellent finish by Salah

Not disheartened at all by that, thought there were some really good performances on our side and that we had a good tactical plan that we stuck to pretty well throughout.

Only disappointment for me was in the way we conceded that second goal. You just shouldn't get so easily exposed from your own corner. As someone else pointed out, that's happened a few times this season so there's something wrong in the positioning of our players in that situation that is leaving us too open.

Apart from that thought we were very good tonight and you would expect us to pick up a decent amount of points between now and season end if we keep up that level.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Why oh why did we overcommit on that corner.. was looking good for a point..

Hojbjerg was absolutely superb first half.. I actually think when Redmond went up front we lost major control of the game. He doesn't seem strong enough to hold the ball up. Probably one of the best games I've seen from vestergaard too. All in all we done pretty well but disappointing a couple of moments cost us

Thought the ref was decent Tbf.

He couldn't give the Salah offside without lino flagging and was literally inches in it.

Did us a favor with the Yoshida foul as that was a definite penalty.

Poor effort there. Never a pen. Go back to counting days since we beat a top 6.

I think the reality was that we were always going to lose, they are just too good for the squad we have. But, we lost in the right way in the sense that we gave them a game, we gave them a fright and didn't make it easy at all.

We are working so much harder under Ralph, that's evident to see. Our shape is better and we are more organised on the pitch.

Quality wise, he can only work with what he's got and there are still glaring holes in the team which need fixing if we want to continue moving in the right direction. I like Bednerak and Vesterguard has grown into the side, but I think we need someone else with a bit of power and pace through the middle of the 3.

Valery is good, but raw. Defends well, but doesn't offer much of an outlet in an attacking sense. I think we will still look to add a new RB in the summer, well I hope so at least.

Need some power and presence up top, and I think we could give most teams a game.

Ralph knows what he's doing and I'm pretty confident he knows what he needs. Roll on next season.

When I saw Bednarek up for that corner I thought "**** we're going for it, hope we don't regret this!" Then Salah picked the ball up and ran in a straight line with nobody challenging him until he stuck it away and I just felt sick. I suppose it's good that we don't just settle for a point against title challengers, but a point would have been a great result and we lost it through poor decisions on defending at the end of the game. We didn't really look like scoring in the second half, but neither did they until we presented it to them.

Ralph's done an amazing job to take us this far with the squad we have, but the attacking options need a complete overhaul in order to compete for a top half place, let alone Europe.

criticisms of Bertie defending are wide of the mark, did all he could, text book.

I was concerned about Bertram in the second half because he didn't look well to me; when he took an age to take that throw in (the first one, not the one he was booked for later) he looked like he was feeling really ill, didn't look right at all; so when I saw it was him trying to stop Salah I knew we were in trouble.

We lost but look at this place, we are once again excited by Saints football and full of optimism. Ralph has done a marvellous job. He’s learning too. Was a tough choice, try and shut up shop for a 1-1 or go for it. Glad he went for it at 1-2 too, showed our ambition.

I was concerned about Bertram in the second half because he didn't look well to me; when he took an age to take that throw in (the first one, not the one he was booked for later) he looked like he was feeling really ill, didn't look right at all; so when I saw it was him trying to stop Salah I knew we were in trouble.

Not sure he could do a lot in that situation to be honest, he was left 2 on 1. If he committed himself to tackle Salah, he would have just slid Firmino in with a clear run to goal. The more key problem was why we left ourselves that open to allow a 2 on 1 from our own corner.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We lost but look at this place, we are once again excited by Saints football and full of optimism. Ralph has done a marvellous job. He’s learning too. Was a tough choice, try and shut up shop for a 1-1 or go for it. Glad he went for it at 1-2 too, showed our ambition.

Yup!!! Ii said in the match thread that I was excited and hopeful every time we got the ball, and that I had not had that feeling for years! .......Of course, it went boobs up after they got their second, and it became more clear that they were the better team, but hey,.... I was excited!!!

Did anyone else notice Koop standing near the centre circle about 30 minutes before kickoff? He spent a long time watching our players warming up.

Tactical reasons or looking for new talent for the summer?

Does it every game.

Thought we gave a really good account of ourselves there. The pressing in the first half was brilliant to see. Tired in the second half but we are playing a Liverpool team that's as good as I've seen in over a decade and title contenders.

A full pre season with Ralph and a couple of smart signings and we should be top half next season.

Thought the ref was decent Tbf.

He couldn't give the Salah offside without lino flagging and was literally inches in it.

Did us a favor with the Yoshida foul as that was a definite penalty.

still showing yourself to be a pen absolute c u n t still the Glasgow? Have you actually ever been to a saints game, seems unlikely?

Unfortunately this was another game where our lack of fitness caught up with us.

It wasn't a lack of fitness so much as after the hour mark, our players had to wade through the jizz that Carragher was spaffing all over the place, they found it extremely hard going.

I've never known such a one sided, biased commentary.

Why Sky employ that odious little turd to commentate on Liverpool matches beggars belief.

He should be nowhere near their matches and bring in an impartial 'expert'.

Ruined the match for me far more than the result.

I thought we were excellent.

Lack of sub options hampered us and the game swung on the Salah goal which was well taken but avoidable beforehand.

We have become a good side but need some quality in attack to give RH more options.

Exactly this, the stupidity of leaving one at the back to deal with their front three when we were pressing really high after HT at 1-1 was the turning point and inexcusable, smacking of indiscipline from over confidence. Ralph was fuming and rightly so.

What is there to Liverpool except unimaginative square passing in defence with eventual long hopeful balls into the box either from our nemesis or from the left wing? Man City are much the better and more attractive footballing side and for that alone deserve the title despite fears of hegemony.

Last night for the first half hour we were by far the better footballing side and it was a sickeningly disappointing result at the end

Was sat directly in line with Salah and he was clearly offside in the build up to the scrappy equaliser !

It should never have stood and could well have changed the balance of the game !

Also close to the Van Dyck foul which was given the other way when Sims broke clear !

Two atrocious decisions given by an extremely cr@p linesman !

Grrr....

Looked to me that the referee, when the lino flagged, thought it was a foul on Saints and showed the play on arm gesture (which it was) but the lino must have told him on the mic that it was a foul on Liverpool.

Their 2nd goal was a sickener and very naïve, why commit so many players forward for a corner against a side like Liverpool at that stage of the match when a point for us is more valuable than Liverpool.

I just knew when the Saints attacking subs were made that it would result in Liverpool goal not a Saints one.

Other than that a good performance overall but just knew as normal that we wouldn't get over the line.

P.S. Why does the website keep jumping around? Makes it very hard to type anything!

We played well and we are much improved. However Liverpool did dominate the 2nd half. They had most of the possession, and ran through out midfield. I don't think we did enough to win.

Since Ralph took over practically every team has more possession against us but Liverpool never looked like opening us up I was surprised how poor their attack was. Mane was their main dangerous outlet and even his final ball was awful. We didn't do enough to win in the second half but a draw would have been a good result for us and achievable until we threw everyone up for the corner with 10 minutes to go.

As most have said, gave a good account of ourselves against what is (extremely annoyingly) a very good Liverpool side. Even if they aren't League champions (and I 4ucking hope not) they'll get about 90 points this season so you can't deny they're good. Just very annoying salah scores that goal after the run he's been on (it was a perfect finish).

The corner thing is annoying. It wasn't so much the starting positions, it was the naivety of those near the edge of the area getting over excited and sucked in when it became a bit ping pong like on the edge of the area. They saw a sniff of something exciting happening, abandoned their posts and then, along with most of the stadium, that sudden realisation of sh1t, this is big trouble. 5 seconds and a perfect finish later and we've lost the game. No issue with the third, we twisted and went bust.

I was almost in line with salah for the offside, it looked tight so can accept the lino getting that wrong, but it obviously changed the game. And the sims incident was dreadful; other than that, not much to moan about the officials for really. Wrong end to see Keita, have heard different opinions on whether it was a pen or not.

In terms of players, compared to their potential standard think just about everybody gave a good account of themselves. Romeu was a bit meh, and jwp is simply not effective wide right, even in that formation. He was fine, just not great. Defenders all did well, Valery continues to develop and Redmond was very good. Hoj probably motm for me.

Trouble was the subs. Basically nothing on offer to change and improve things. Long was tired but only option was what he did, Austin couldn't lead a line alone for half an hour, nor Gallagher I'd suggest, so sims (or Armstrong) on and Redmond up was all he could do. Armstrong was about to come on before the goal, but probably just for fresh legs. Of course, the goal meant a double swap and a change of plans so can't really judge this.

Unfortunately, can't think of anything much else he could have done to improve things given the players available. The squad is massively short of depth, especially for attacking options, so well done to those that played and performed, and here's hoping it's improved in the summer.

It was a free hit, so no harm done and certainly our confidence shouldn't be damaged by that. Just a shame to get no rewards for a good performance, plus I really don't like Liverpool.

Edited by Chewy
Typo

Looked to me that the referee, when the lino flagged, thought it was a foul on Saints and showed the play on arm gesture (which it was) but the lino must have told him on the mic that it was a foul on Liverpool.

Their 2nd goal was a sickener and very naïve, why commit so many players forward for a corner against a side like Liverpool at that stage of the match when a point for us is more valuable than Liverpool.

I just knew when the Saints attacking subs were made that it would result in Liverpool goal not a Saints one.

Other than that a good performance overall but just knew as normal that we wouldn't get over the line.

P.S. Why does the website keep jumping around? Makes it very hard to type anything!

The linesman was flagging for a foul to Liverpool. The usual practice is to waggle the flag above your head but to hold it in the hand on the side that you think should get the free kick. That way the referee can decide whether to play advantage. I didn’t see the ref give such a signal though. It was a weird situation.

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that incident where the ref gave a goal kick but then changed his mind after protests from the Liverpool players.

I think the reality was that we were always going to lose, they are just too good for the squad we have. But, we lost in the right way in the sense that we gave them a game, we gave them a fright and didn't make it easy at all.

We are working so much harder under Ralph, that's evident to see. Our shape is better and we are more organised on the pitch.

Quality wise, he can only work with what he's got and there are still glaring holes in the team which need fixing if we want to continue moving in the right direction. I like Bednerak and Vesterguard has grown into the side, but I think we need someone else with a bit of power and pace through the middle of the 3.

Valery is good, but raw. Defends well, but doesn't offer much of an outlet in an attacking sense. I think we will still look to add a new RB in the summer, well I hope so at least.

Need some power and presence up top, and I think we could give most teams a game.

Ralph knows what he's doing and I'm pretty confident he knows what he needs. Roll on next season.

Very good post and mirrors my view.

The Glasgow troll was back because we lost, how predictable

The linesman was flagging for a foul to Liverpool. The usual practice is to waggle the flag above your head but to hold it in the hand on the side that you think should get the free kick. That way the referee can decide whether to play advantage. I didn’t see the ref give such a signal though. It was a weird situation.

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that incident where the ref gave a goal kick but then changed his mind after protests from the Liverpool players.

I was just coming on to see if anyone saw this, definitely no flag from the lino, ref clearly pointed to goal kick and then after Henderson got in his face he gave a corner. Bizarre. As for the Van Dijk incident, yes the referee ran with his arms out saying advantage to Saints before calling it back for a foul on Van Dijk. Another very strange, extremely weak referee in this pool of absolute hopelessness.