Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Every single one of your points can be put down to squad depth.

''Too inflexible tactically'' - didn't have the right mix of players to do anything radically different.

''Too slow with substitutions'' - he turned around and saw N'Lundulu on the bench and probably thought what's the point.

''Picked the wrong side too many times'' - What with injuries and suspensions he was having to play with numerous squad pegs in round holes to get us through games.

It's amazing how he's suddenly better with substitutes now he has viable options to choose.

This seems such an obvious conclusion to reach I think to not get there you have to be wilfully choosing not to

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Agreed that it is a silly mentality as it is a combination of things that go into any teams successes and failures. Having a better squad will also obviously help with results/performances unless you are a truly dire manager (which I don't believe Ralph to be).

A lot of this talk seems to skirt around my main issues with Ralph last season though so let me try putting it this way...

During last seasons poor run do you believe that - when you take into account injuries, squad depth, covid and all other factors - Ralph did the best he could with what was available? Do you think the performances, results and points return over those last 20 games from January onwards was the best we could have hoped for under the circumstances?

I'm not looking for a discussion about what options were available or what outside factors were at play i'm purely interested on how people think Ralph reacted to and dealt with these issues. Did he do a good job when a bad hand was played to him or did he fumble when his back was up against the wall?

My personal opinion is that - again having taken all other elements into account - we still under performed due to the manager in that he was unable to do anything to overturn our bad form and that decisions that were made actively hampered us in some cases. It would appear that many think he did well enough or at least not bad enough for it to be a problem but it's hard to get a judge on this as the discussion is always shifted to the other factors rather than to Ralph himself.

In the end though he still did enough over the course of the season to keep us up and both him and the squad look to have improved greatly this season. Perhaps last seasons poor run is something that can be looked at as a one off and left in the past but it has left doubt in my mind as to how he can deal with adversity when it does arrive.

Prett much sums up how I feel about last season, Ralph had some issues and didnt get it right a lot of the time 2nd half of the season, injuries or not. He should have shut up shop, and made us harder to beat, he didnt and the confidence drained from the lives of the players, at all levels.

And as Duck said, at least he seems to have learned from this. I wouldn’t be surprised if him learning was also sitting down with Semmons, and being told wtf was that about…

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

This seems such an obvious conclusion to reach I think to not get there you have to be wilfully choosing not to

Or some top trolling!

Note how Ducky always fails to answer direct questions with any kind of tangible answer. Amazing how such a poor manager turned around a team with 9 points from 16, to one which finished the season on 39 points without signing a single player. I am certain Howe wouldn't be able to do similar at Newcastle. Nor would Howe get a team like Leipzig to finish 2nd in the Bundesliga.

Can you imagine if Ralph now goes to Villa, and we get Eddie Howe. All worked out perfectly after all 🤪

And then Newcastle have to re-hire Steve Bruce, as no one else wants to go there. I was hoping Shearer on MOTD would throw his hat into the ring. You know youre fucked when Alan starts offering his services. Still, the fences around St James Park would have never looked to freshly creosote’d.

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Prett much sums up how I feel about last season, Ralph had some issues and didnt get it right a lot of the time 2nd half of the season, injuries or not. He should have shut up shop, and made us harder to beat, he didnt and the confidence drained from the lives of the players, at all levels.

And as Duck said, at least he seems to have learned from this. I wouldn’t be surprised if him learning was also sitting down with Semmons, and being told wtf was that about…

He could have done things differently. He certainly made some mistakes. No one is perfect. I would have done things differently. Those things are probably different to the different things you would do. That's football. At the end of the day though his decisions were largely ones made through necessity, not simple choices. Plus we were never even remotely likely to be relegated. We also made it to the FA Cup semi-final. I disagreed with Redmond starting in that match too, but understand why Ralph picked him at the time. Redders had scored a couple of lovely goals in the previous matches. Adams had been a bit 'off'. And the reason we lost had nothing to do with Redmond. It was fluke goal conceded in what was a very even match. But when someone has a bee in their bonnet, and his name is Ducky........ 

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Can you imagine if Ralph now goes to Villa, and we get Eddie Howe. All worked out perfectly after all 🤪

Please God, no!!!!!

Moreover, why do Villa think they can simply click their fingers and take managers already under contract elsewhere? That didn't even work for Newcastle, with all their wealth!

2 minutes ago, Minsk said:

He could have done things differently. He certainly made some mistakes. No one is perfect. I would have done things differently. Those things are probably different to the different things you would do. That's football. At the end of the day though his decisions were largely ones made through necessity, not simple choices. Plus we were never even remotely likely to be relegated. We also made it to the FA Cup semi-final. I disagreed with Redmond starting in that match too, but understand why Ralph picked him at the time. Redders had scored a couple of lovely goals in the previous matches. Adams had been a bit 'off'. And the reason we lost had nothing to do with Redmond. It was fluke goal conceded in what was a very even match. But when someone has a bee in their bonnet, and his name is Ducky........ 

Sure, I like Ralph, would be keeping him, just sometimes these threads can come across as Ralph couldn’t do anything wrong, he was hamstrung by injuries and depth etc. Which are true, but not that he was the messiah as he did cause a lot of issues himself, that is what most people appear to be saying, even Duck from what I can tell.

And now ive got to worry about Ralph leaving for the Villa, and us getting Steve Bruce.

1 minute ago, Minsk said:

Please God, no!!!!!

Moreover, why do Villa think they can simply click their fingers and take managers already under contract elsewhere? That didn't even work for Newcastle, with all their wealth!

Yeah, I think he will stay, but I can see him being tempted as a move up from us. Bigger club, more money etc.

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Sure, I like Ralph, would be keeping him, just sometimes these threads can come across as Ralph couldn’t do anything wrong, he was hamstrung by injuries and depth etc. Which are true, but not that he was the messiah as he did cause a lot of issues himself, that is what most people appear to be saying, even Duck from what I can tell.

And now ive got to worry about Ralph leaving for the Villa, and us getting Steve Bruce.

Right, everything doesn’t have to be black or white. We had massive issues with our squad making life tough for Ralph. Where I feel Ralph was to blame was sticking to his high energy, high line, high press tactics.

I like Ralph and want him to stay, he is getting closer to having the squad he needs to play a full season with his philosophy at a consistent level.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He played Redmond instead of Adams up front in a semi final. That’s not down to lack of resource, that’s down to lack of judgement. I’ve also read that Vesty & Bertrand’s lack of pace was a problem playing Ralph ball, that’s down to him. Insisting on playing a way that doesn’t suit the players available, is a  lack of judgement again. There’s plenty of other examples, Stephens in midfield, the after you Claude goalkeeping policy. In some games we were a complete and utter shambles, that’s not resources, that’s not being set up properly and a lack of flexibility.

Anyway, let’s hope he has learnt and adapted, because if we believe the cult, and he’s managing exactly the same way as he did last season, it won’t take too many suspensions/injuries before we’re on another horrendous run. 

Do you actually have any idea how pathetic you come across when you keep referring to anybody who doesn't share your overly negative view of Ralph as 'the cult'?

Ralph, like anyone has strengths and he has weaknesses. There's not a single poster here who would try and argue that he is perfect and has never made any mistakes. But your constant harping on about his faults without showing the slightest sign of praising his successes is getting very tiresome now.

• Like 6

Aston Villa' board's delusions are apparent in even thinking about Gerrard. If he was even remotely interested in moving to a 'lower level' PL club he would be Newcastle manager by now. Publicly even considering a  PL manager still in employment is just asking for litigation. I would suggest the best they can do right now is Lampard, or possibly Nuno, although that could more fan angst than Rafa to Everton

44 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Spot on. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

But your constant harping on about his faults without showing the slightest sign of praising his successes is getting very tiresome now.

Pony.

I’ve posted praise for the bloke on various threads, particularly the match day ones (when it’s deserved). I can totally understand you not wanting to read my opinions, but try not to make things up when you don’t. it’s getting very tiresome now. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I think the players finally got it! Ralfs playbook is all about his pressing style and the automism within it. I like most thought wtf with the 9-0 drubbing, but right there he showed he was not going to back down from his press. I look back and think he said 1-0 or 9-0, I want you to keep practicing the press. We have to get it right! Shut up shop was not in his mind. In the summer he brought in players to compliment the press, trained all summer on the press and automism. Players now seem to understand what is required,  our press is the best in the league! We have better coverage at the back and the off ball marking has improved.  We now get all three teams now beginning to win using the playbook. It has taken a while, but what Ralf was trying to introduce was very difficult. Anyone who has played ball will know the style we play is very difficult achieve tactically and physically. We have recruited the right players and taken a couple of years to get it to this point. I think there is more to come as the playbook is ingrained further and the players improve with a clear path on what is needed.

This year we have the press and automism working much better, step one completed, so Ralf has added better game control/ management.  We press and rest intelligently. We will defend a lead in the second half if needed and getting better at it.

Players are improving under him and the team cohesion and attitude looks great. 

My rose tinted glasses are full red, white and black! March on and up Saints!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I think the players finally got it! Ralfs playbook is all about his pressing style and the automism within it. I like most thought wtf with the 9-0 drubbing, but right there he showed he was not going to back down from his press. I look back and think he said 1-0 or 9-0, I want you to keep practicing the press. We have to get it right! Shut up shop was not in his mind. In the summer he brought in players to compliment the press, trained all summer on the press and automism. Players now seem to understand what is required,  our press is the best in the league! We have better coverage at the back and the off ball marking has improved.  We now get all three teams now beginning to win using the playbook. It has taken a while, but what Ralf was trying to introduce was very difficult. Anyone who has played ball will know the style we play is very difficult achieve tactically and physically. We have recruited the right players and taken a couple of years to get it to this point. I think there is more to come as the playbook is ingrained further and the players improve with a clear path on what is needed.

This year we have the press and automism working much better, step one completed, so Ralf has added better game control/ management.  We press and rest intelligently. We will defend a lead in the second half if needed and getting better at it.

Players are improving under him and the team cohesion and attitude looks great. 

My rose tinted glasses are full red, white and black! March on and up Saints!

You may have a some credence in your post, but last year, having had around 2 years of automations and the press, idle have thought they should have known what it was and what to do. 

I think Ralph can likely take the plaudits for the great run in 2020 so can shoulder some of the shit from Jan to May 21. 

Im just pleased my weekends aren’t a total write off after more inept displays and defeats, although I’m still not getting carried away by beating teams around us, let’s see how things are in Jan, but I think we’re gonna be ok. 

Aston Villa have nobody lined up as an immediate replacement for Dean Smith, Sky Sports News has been told, though Denmark coach Kasper Hjulmand is expected to be considered - while Steven Gerrard and Ralph Hassenhuttl have also been linked.

7 minutes ago, DT said:

🚨 Aston Villa are considering Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl & Rangers boss Steven Gerrard as their next manager after the dismissal of Dean Smith #saintsfc [telegraph]

Seems a bit unlikely 

They sack a manger after 5 defeats we keep one who won 4 in about 30 I am sure he is a perfect fit!!

Ralph’s odds tumbling for the Villa job. He was 12/1 an hour ago and now 6/1 third favourite, behind Gerrard and Terry.

Personally I’d be gutted if he did leave us for Villa. But money and ambition talks I guess, and he wouldn’t get a Big 6 job (yet), so next best I suppose. 

This has a sniff of the Koeman to Everton (would never happen, just a sideways step) move…. 

Edited by St Louis

55 minutes ago, DT said:

🚨 Aston Villa are considering Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl & Rangers boss Steven Gerrard as their next manager after the dismissal of Dean Smith #saintsfc [telegraph]

Seems a bit unlikely 

And I'm considering heading into town this evening and getting a blowey off Margot Robbie.

Anyone placing bets?

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If you think last seasons horrendous results weren’t down to Ralph in any way ,there’s no hope for you. If you think he didn’t make any mistakes, then you’re “pretty dim”. We were a fucking shambles half the time, that’s on the manager, nobody else. 

You talk about the cult but you seem to be forming your own. Yes Ralph made some mistakes but you seem blinkered to some of the mitigating factors of last season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Pretty unlikely he goes tbh. Lateral move to a team who could easily be in a bit of trouble. Could happen, hope it doesn't though. Ralph is our biggest asset (even more so than JWP probably)

Personally I hope you’re right. But we did say the same about Koeman to Everton.

Money talks sadly, and a little bit of a boards ambition (or lack of) too.

14 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Personally I hope you’re right. But we did say the same about Koeman to Everton.

Not quite the same as Koeman, who was a cast iron success across two brilliant seasons. And he was coming to the last year of his deal.

Unlike Ronald, I think Ralph will also feel some level of loyalty and comfort in his current role. He's got things as he wants them and he is The Man here.

Would be a bloody brave move by Purslow to go to the Villa fans an unveil as their new manager, to "take them to the next level", a guy that, er, finished below them last season.

So, I think there's a combination of us being able to stand firm, Ralph probably not being hugely desperate to move, and that the Villa fans will not be clamouring for him - all those things together mean to me its not that likely.

Personally I'm praying for Gerrard because that puts Villa right in the relegation mix.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Have to wonder if the close working relationship with Crocker, and Semmens will be be a factor here, and the trust they've shown in him despite a run of poor results (far beyond five games Smith has lost). From what I read (may or may not have been true of course) the Koeman- Reed relationship wasn't on sound footing.

Strange though how after three wins in the last four games Ralph's stock is high again and he's linked to another job, didn't seem to be linked anywhere towards the end of last season.

• Like 2

Higher expectations, worse squad at Villa, plus here Hasenhuttl has a club and a fanbase that’s stuck by him through some low times, and a squad that’s settled with his tactics. At Villa it’d probably turn a bit toxic at the first sniff of trouble on account of him not being Dean Smith.

It’s possible he goes if Villa chuck a ridiculous amount of money at it like they did with Ings, but even that might not be enough. Very unlikely he goes I reckon.

Watching the betting odds is worse than useless with next manager market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

Ralph’s odds tumbling for the Villa job. He was 12/1 an hour ago and now 6/1 third favourite, behind Gerrard and Terry.

Personally I’d be gutted if he did leave us for Villa. But money and ambition talks I guess, and he wouldn’t get a Big 6 job (yet), so next best I suppose. 

This has a sniff of the Koeman to Everton (would never happen, just a sideways step) move…. 

Nothing like the Koeman situation as the board and manager are working towards an agreed goal. If Ralph feels he would be better off at Villa, that’s a different issue. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Nothing like the Koeman situation as the board and manager are working towards an agreed goal. If Ralph feels he would be better off at Villa, that’s a different issue. 

I simply mean with regards to many saying it would be a sideways step. In football terms I agree.

But we all know that money talks in reality. And having a little more freedom in the transfer market would probably appeal too, and sometimes just a new challenge.

I think Ralph does enjoy it at Saints, and I think he will also appreciate the support he’s had from both the board and fans, during a few very rocky patches (and 2 exceptionally poor results).

I’m a big Ralph fan, and I hope it’s no more than early paper talk. I like us having stability for a change and I personally think he’s getting the best out of a pretty average squad and a continued lack of funds, so long may that continue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, St Louis said:

I hope it’s no more than early paper talk.

I don't see how it can be anything other than that at this stage TBH. I find it extremely unlikely that any member of the Villa board would have already been gobbing off to the press about which other currently employed managers they might be interested in trying to tap up. 

• Like 1

Smith got the sack because of his form across the calendar year of 21. 18 league defeats across the second half of last season and then this season.

Only one manager has delivered as many Premier League defeats as that in the same time. No prizes for guessing who.

Feels like quite a tough sell to the Villa fanbase.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't see how it can be anything other than that at this stage TBH. I find it extremely unlikely that any member of the Villa board would have already been gobbing off to the press about which other currently employed managers they might be interested in trying to tap up. 

This passage made me think that they have indeed been gobbing off to the press. Just as they did with JWP. They certainly seemed to have put the word out that they're not interested in Terry.

image.png.a5cf3304768a6c4f352c2bcbaf1007a2.pnghttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/07/aston-villa-sack-dean-smith-head-coach

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl