Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

5 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

I dunno about that one. Though that's usually the case when players leave us (particularly when they go to Liverpool) I think he was the exception and was lauded as being world class even when we had him.

As I say though, the sentiment is correct that is usually what happens. Pretty sure Mane was only seen as "quite good" when we had him.

As for Ralph, looks like Gerrard IS definitely going to Villa so it's just the mighty Norwich that we have to worry about...

Eh? I certainly didn't think he was "quite good". He was superb. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

Yes, it was a disappointment for sure but Leicester were heavy favourites on the day, it would be a lot more even odds this season

We’ve been  in about half a dozen FA cup semi finals in 60 years. Do you really think we’ll get there 2 years running, let alone be facing someone who isn’t one of the traditional big clubs. 

Ralph blew it, poor selection (Redmond up front) and god awful passive tactics. It was as bad as Mark Hughes “attempt” to get us to the final and both managers let us down on the day (as did the players). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We’ve been  in about half a dozen FA cup semi finals in 60 years. Do you really think we’ll get there 2 years running, let alone be facing someone who isn’t one of the traditional big clubs. 

Ralph blew it, poor selection (Redmond up front) and god awful passive tactics. It was as bad as Mark Hughes “attempt” to get us to the final and both managers let us down on the day (as did the players). 

To be fair to Hughes, he came up against a good Chelsea team, and was let down by Lemina jogging around leaving Chelsea to have the run of the midfield. 

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

He was barracked  and rubbished, he was the scapegoat who got the Redmond treatment. It was embarrassing 

He was criticised for some poor performances early on in his time here, up until Christmas 2014 he didn’t come up to standard, even for Saints. It’s a bit of a SaintsWeb myth that Mané was some world class player that everyone hated. Up until his final ten games here, he looked nothing like the player he is for Liverpool.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He was criticised for some poor performances early on in his time here, up until Christmas 2014 he didn’t come up to standard, even for Saints. It’s a bit of a SaintsWeb myth that Mané was some world class player that everyone hated. Up until his final ten games here, he looked nothing like the player he is for Liverpool.

I can clearly remember absolutely raging at one or two truly dreadful performances from him in his time with us, so agree with you there.

15 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Wasn't one of those 12m players that Koeman bought, er, Sadio Mane?

Actually no, I've looked, it was £10m.

Bizarre.

Exactly, and today you wouldn’t be able to. Parson Daka is probably the best comparison in that he is a similar age to what Mane was, and has joined Leicester from RB Salzburg also. He cost £23mil - more than our record signing. If Mane was sold from us to Liverpool today he would go for £50mil+.

5 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Exactly, and today you wouldn’t be able to. Parson Daka is probably the best comparison in that he is a similar age to what Mane was, and has joined Leicester from RB Salzburg also. He cost £23mil - more than our record signing. If Mane was sold from us to Liverpool today he would go for £50mil+.

He probably should have gone for closer to that at the time, given quite how incredible he was at the back end of that season.  Those transfer fees weren't unheard of at that time. Especially for an attacker.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He probably should have gone for closer to that at the time, given quite how incredible he was at the back end of that season.  Those transfer fees weren't unheard of at that time. Especially for an attacker.

He should have, it was clear how good he was, but to be fair Salah cost about the same in the same window and I seem to remember there was a transfer maybe even later in that window which set the precedent for inflated fees. Maybe Stones? I can’t remember. But had it been the following summer I agree it would’ve been £50mil+. Maybe today he’d have left us for £70mil+, given Grealish’s fee last summer.

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Ayew: £21m
Bolasie: £25m
Sissoko: £30m
Slimani: £30m
Xhaka £34m
Stones: £50m
Pogba: £90m

Transfer fees had already got ridiculous at that point.  Given his age, and how good he was, we should have got more for him IMO.

Absolutely agree, it's revisionism to say prices weren't already stupidly inflated at that time. Mane had proven himself to be an excellent PL forward and I remember at the time feeling peed off at the fee and thinking Liverpool had got a bargain. Nothing has changed my mind since.

• Like 3

John Stones and Paul Pogba both went for ridiculous money much later in the window in which Mane left. If they’d gone earlier in the window, absolutely no doubt that Mane, Salah and also Kante who went for 32mil, would’ve been way higher. But timing is everything, and these sales were done early when they were acceptable fees.

58 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Xhaka £34m

Transfer fees had already got ridiculous at that point.  Given his age, and how good he was, we should have got more for him IMO.

With a full preseason aswell.

When the rumours first started we publicly said we wanted £50m.

And they would have paid it.

Klopp wanted him badly for ages.

Telling the press he likes him while it was all going on and hugging him after games in our own fucking ground.

That should have been £50M. Cash sale or fuck off.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

John Stones and Paul Pogba both went for ridiculous money much later in the window in which Mane left. If they’d gone earlier in the window, absolutely no doubt that Mane, Salah and also Kante who went for 32mil, would’ve been way higher. But timing is everything, and these sales were done early when they were acceptable fees.

Complete conjecture, players have been sold all across various transfer windows for large fees.

5 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

That should have been £50M. Cash sale or fuck off.

F**k off and buy him next summer for £15m?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Complete conjecture, players have been sold all across various transfer windows for large fees.

F**k off and buy him next summer for £15m?

You don’t think that when one player goes for a ridiculously inflated fee, it sets the tone for what other clubs demand for their players down the line? You don’t think John Stones going for £50mil meant any price for VVD was always going to be well in excess of £50mil because he was quite obviously head and shoulders above him in the same position?

Okay.

I thought the following summer and Mane would have only had 12 months left on his deal, making him much lower resale value.

Unless, of course, I am getting my dates wrong, but pretty sure he would have gone for far less 12 months later.

Also, I guess what some are alluding to, would be had we waited later int he summer to sell, his value could have been much higher - and of course that may be true, perhaps we had deals lined up as replacements and had to act quicker, who knows. I thought he may have gone for £5-10m more the summer he did, but wasnt bad business either I wouldn’t say.

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

You don’t think that when one player goes for a ridiculously inflated fee, it sets the tone for what other clubs demand for their players down the line? You don’t think John Stones going for £50mil meant any price for VVD was always going to be well in excess of £50mil because he was quite obviously head and shoulders above him in the same position?

Okay.

Stones had a longer contract and there was the 'English premium' which you have to add on to a deal like that.

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

And so could any other club.

Liverpool wouldn't have risked it.

Your point is what?

My point is exactly as I posted it. If he hadn't been sold in 2016 he could have gone somewhere the following summer for about £15m.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2021 at 14:29, Saint Garrett said:

Xhaka £34m

Ah, the old Les Reed special transfer sales.... That man almost ruined our club.

Edited by Saint86

39 minutes ago, TWar said:

9j9fedwkoa081.png?width=768&auto=webp&s=176a79cc3a454d08304d83b3af50ef72a4a12ed1

Incredible improvement in our defensive abilities from last season

Almost as if criticism of the manager and his open style was justified and he’s taken it on board and made us more solid this season. 

Whilst we do have a bit more depth in the squad now, I do still worry if we get a long term injury to Salisu and/or Romeu, we’ll get carved open like a hot knife through butter again though. 

As we’ve seen last season, Diallo and JWP are too lightweight when played together. And god forbid we have to play with Bednerak and Stephens / Lyanco** for a prolonged period of time.  

**I like Lyanco in a 3, not sure he’s quite right to play in a 2 yet though, looks very rash and dives in which would leave us exposed. It’s a toss of the coin to play Stephens (when fit) or Bednerak next to Salisu.. neither inspire me with confidence though. 

Edited by Dman

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Almost as if criticism of the manager and his open style was justified and he’s taken it on board and made us more solid this season. 

Whilst we do have a bit more depth in the squad now, I do still worry if we get a long term injury to Salisu and/or Romeu, we’ll get carved open like a hot knife through butter again though. 

As we’ve seen last season, Diallo and JWP are too lightweight when played together. And god forbid we have to play with Bednerak and Stephens / Lyanco** for a prolonged period of time.  

**I like Lyanco in a 3, not sure he’s quite right to play in a 2 yet though, looks very rash and dives in which would leave us exposed. It’s a toss of the coin to play Stephens (when fit) or Bednerak next to Salisu.. neither inspire me with confidence though. 

Or we signed Livramento and Salisu got fit and no longer was needed out of position at LB, whilst our best DM got over a broken ankle...

Could be the manager suddenly learned how to coach a defence, more likely we got better defenders.

People really give too much credit/criticism to managers as if the world revolves around them. The second half of last season we had a back 7 of Macca, KWP, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand/Salisu, JWP, Armstrong and it has become Macca Livra, Salisu, Bednarek, KWP, JWP, and Romeu. No wonder we have gotten more solid.

Salisu >>> Vestergaard 

Livramento >>> Bertrand

Romeu >>> Armstrong (defensively at least)

Edited by TWar

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Yet again you jump straight on a positive post and try to point to something negative. You really are are a sad, tiresome, little (SKD)man. As you have avoided answering before I will ask again, why do you always feel the need to do this? One can only assume it is because you are trolling, again. Unfortunately, I expect you have already created your new account for when this one eventually gets banned, as all the others have.

As for your opening line, yes I am sure Ralph read your posts and thought he had better change things around. 🙄

Personally, I don't think we are playing any less 'open' at all this season. We have been creating lots of chances, just not converting that many - yet. We are, however, far better defensively - much to Ralph's credit for the way he has got the players performing. 

As for the rest of your drivel, seeing as Salisu is our best CB (so far this season) and Romeu is our most solid DCM of course it would be a loss if either were out for some time. That doesn't mean we would get carved open at will by all and sundry. Whilst not quite as strong in the challenge as Romeu, JWP isn't 'lightweight' at all. Go and look at some of the tackles he puts in again. We are definitely in a far better this season in regards to squad strength. The alternative would have been to put all our eggs in a couple of baskets. To have spent all the money on just a couple of players. That would have led us back to where we were last season. Which would you prefer, more depth or just a couple of slightly better quality (on paper) players?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Our defense is better because we have better defenders for Ralfs style, as mentioned the additions of Liv, Sal and Per have improved the speed and mobility of our back line. This is crucial for our pressing style, as we will have more one on one defending. Dudman, can you not see he has developed the team to his style, he did not let up on the press, it was drilled into them over this summer,  and the whole time he has been here.....that how hard it is to get this pressing style right. It was shown in patches how good it can be, but injuries, lack of quality players etc. 

This year we executed Ralfs playbook much better because we have better understanding of what is required and better players to accomplish this. 

And with Ralfs PB we can punch above our weight as we have seen in patches and what he did with RB lip. Reading and learning ( not your strongest attribute) what Ralf press, automatism is all about , it is not a simple press, it has many moving parts, time to boot, where to boot, how to shift when pressing,  then shift to defense when being attacked etc,  there are quite a few good articles on what he is trying to accomplish and you will learn what he trying to accomplish. It's not Ralf listening to us forum floggers, it up to us to listen to him and what he is trying to implement!

Dudman, you say jwp and diallo are too light weight last season, have they not improved? You can adjust your opinions over time? A young man like diallo won't get more muscle over a year? Have you not seen JWP getting stuck in, no longer the soft push over he was a few years ago. 

Saints go marching up!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minsk said:

Yet again you jump straight on a positive post and try to point to something negative. You really are are a sad, tiresome, little (SKD)man. As you have avoided answering before I will ask again, why do you always feel the need to do this? One can only assume it is because you are trolling, again. Unfortunately, I expect you have already created your new account for when this one eventually gets banned, as all the others have.

As for your opening line, yes I am sure Ralph read your posts and thought he had better change things around. 🙄

Personally, I don't think we are playing any less 'open' at all this season. We have been creating lots of chances, just not converting that many - yet. We are, however, far better defensively - much to Ralph's credit for the way he has got the players performing. 

As for the rest of your drivel, seeing as Salisu is our best CB (so far this season) and Romeu is our most solid DCM of course it would be a loss if either were out for some time. That doesn't mean we would get carved open at will by all and sundry. Whilst not quite as strong in the challenge as Romeu, JWP isn't 'lightweight' at all. Go and look at some of the tackles he puts in again. We are definitely in a far better this season in regards to squad strength. The alternative would have been to put all our eggs in a couple of baskets. To have spent all the money on just a couple of players. That would have led us back to where we were last season. Which would you prefer, more depth or just a couple of slightly better quality (on paper) players?

Good interview with Salisu on the Hampshire paper thing. Speaks very highly of RH ( yeah I know he’s the manager) and how he worked with him and was instructed in how RH wanted his CB’s to play.

I know it's an incredibly simple thing to say, but maybe not having Vestergaard turning like an oil tanker and a disinterested/legs gone Bertrand actually improved us defensively? I'm sure Leicester are enjoying our loss.

The recovery pace Salisu has provided has made so much difference and provides a lot more security to the rest of the team. I want a defender to be able to defend, not ping a cross field ball.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I know it's an incredibly simple thing to say, but maybe not having Vestergaard turning like an oil tanker and a disinterested/legs gone Bertrand actually improved us defensively? I'm sure Leicester are enjoying our loss.

The recovery pace Salisu has provided has made so much difference and provides a lot more security to the rest of the team. I want a defender to be able to defend, not ping a cross field ball.

I remember chuckling over the summer when some leicester mug was on here gloating about getting vest and bertrand. it has turned out exactly how i expected.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Minsk said:

Having a different opinion doesn’t automatically make you a troll. On every forum, and walk of life, You have people who are OTT positive. People who are OTT negative and others who are somewhere in the middle. 

The reason I haven’t responded to your passive aggressive posts before is because I have 3 a day and I don’t want to get drawn into an argument with you. If you’re bored and tired of my posts and think I’m a troll, so be it, stick me on ignore pal. No skin off my nose. 

I’m not saying he responded due to posts from me but If you don’t think people within the club were asking Ralph questions about his style, then more fool you. 

Why you think calling me (SKD)Man is some kind of insult that would bother me, I don’t know. But I’d hate to be your wife if that’s your sense of humour. 

19 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Reading and learning ( not your strongest attribute) what Ralf press, automatism is all about

I don’t know if you’re dyslexic or something but Reading any of the shite you post would take a degree in Latin to understand. I beg, please, just once spell his name right. 

Regards, Dudman x

On 10/11/2021 at 18:21, The Left Back said:

I think you are probably right about this.  and I think it's also probably fair to say that not many other managers would have got away with it at Saints.  Which begs the question, how did he get away with it?  My mate and I have been failing to answer this question since the first 9-0.  I remember walking home in the rain that night miserable and shell shocked (I only made it to 7 before I left).  But I didn't want Ralph to go.  And I didn't want him to go after the second one (which I turned off after we went 3-0 down).  Why is that?  It doesn't really make sense.  And yet he's still here and the majority of fans still support him.  It's kind of bonkers if you think about it that way.  

The only sense I can make of it is what I've posted before (probably on this thread but can't be arsed to look).  There is something about both him and the way he gets us playing that is really appealing for us as a club. I think when he arrived we were in dire needed of his positivity, and chest-out passion.  He then got us playing football with energy and identity.  And we've had spells since where it's been similar.  I also like the way he comes across as a person.  Yes the Liverpool sob was a bit cringy but he does seem wholeheartedly passionate and optimistic, with out cynicism or meanness. WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get.  I also think he is still developing as a manager. and I think we are as a team.  So I hope we get to see how that plays out.  I know he'll either get poached or sacked - its the way of the game - but I'd like us to complete this chapter rather than have it cut short like it was with Poch and Koeman.  He's already been here longer but he's had more to do and had to move slower - so it doesn't feel like it's the end yet.  

You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 12:52, Matthew Le God said:

The Mane fee was one rising to £38m, which at the time was alot. Had he been sold a year or two later it would have been alot more as player values increased rapidly from that point.

Here's an easy thing to remember "a lot" means many, or a large amount, or an item in an auction whereas "alot" does not exist in English except as a misspelling of "allot" (to deal out, apportion etc).

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 18/11/2021 at 19:31, S-Clarke said:

Someone who can do both would be useful.

• Like 1

The Athletic going big on our clean sheet objective this season, and how we are going about it.

Its not something I'd noticed but turns out someone pretends to be injured at the one hour point each match, so Ralph can do a mini team talk and they can all have a rest.

https://theathletic.com/2975932/2021/11/24/southampton-hope-fixing-defence-will-help-them-shatter-glass-ceiling-this-is-how-they-have-done-it?source=user-shared-article

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl