Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

19 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

if we struggled to pay supposedly 75k per week for RLC's wages....Walcott is probably on similar.

On what is that based? We haven't got a wage bill as big as ours without players on that kind of salary and bigger. Plus some look to be shifted from the wage bill soon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

On what is that based? We haven't got a wage bill as big as ours without players on that kind of salary and bigger. Plus some look to be shifted from the wage bill soon.

Forget your tedious attempts at playing Plato/Socrates, Theo would be a bad signing.  Too high a wage for a bit-part player with a poor injury record, less pace than he once had (his main asset) and not good enough to start. He wouldn’t even be 3rd pick. I’d rather have a youngster learning the trade as our 4th choice and spend our very obviously limited resources elsewhere.

Theo is a nice signing on a sentimental level and that’s it. We don’t have the money to be sentimental, and if it meant that much to him he should have made a different choice 2 years ago.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saint97 said:

Brandon Williams on loan - Would be a brilliant signing! Gives us cover on both sides - much better than Valery and Vokins. 

How would Williams benefit from being backup at one club to going on loan and being back up at another club? Loans for young players work if there is a good chance of playing, being second fiddle to Ryan Bertrand won't help Man Utd or Williams and blocks Vokins development at Saints.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Williams is a fantastic prospect. Two footed, very attacking fullback. Get forward, whips in crosses and causes problems. He was their MOTM againnst Burnley last season and in general did OK in all the games he played. I don't think Shaw was an improvement when he came back to fitness. They might have been a bit more solid, but mostly because Shaw never really charges forward any more.

Not sure how far Vokes is away from being good enough for the Prem, but if not close enough this would be a good signing for us.

Not sure how likely it is as United would want him to get games.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Williams is a fantastic prospect. Two footed, very attacking fullback. Get forward, whips in crosses and causes problems. He was their MOTM againnst Burnley last season and in general did OK in all the games he played. I don't think Shaw was an improvement when he came back to fitness. They might have been a bit more solid, but mostly because Shaw never really charges forward any more.

Not sure how far Vokes is away from being good enough for the Prem, but if not close enough this would be a good signing for us.

Not sure how likely it is as United would want him to get games.

Might need him after today’s display 

Is it possible Ralph sees something in Williams that would make him a viable option for one of the attacking positions too? If he can play either side of full back and in a forward position, then it may make sense to bring him in as a good utility. Otherwise, I can’t see it makes much sense to use our only Prem loan on a back up full back when we have one for each side already.

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Is it possible Ralph sees something in Williams that would make him a viable option for one of the attacking positions too? If he can play either side of full back and in a forward position, then it may make sense to bring him in as a good utility. Otherwise, I can’t see it makes much sense to use our only Prem loan on a back up full back when we have one for each side already.

A club can loan two players at any time. Only one from the same club at any time. Over the course of one season you can have 4 loans. 

Williams would be a very odd signing if true.

We have two first choice full backs already, so he'd be coming here as cover from a club he's already cover. Makes no sense for Man Utd, us or Williams.

Unless we're braced for a deadline move for Bertrand.

1 minute ago, Appy said:

You missed out the fact he isn't a competent defender in the Premier League

I agree that is true, but it is irrelevant to my point that him being on the bench shows any off field issues are not preventing him from being used in the squad.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Not sure anybody that is saying Williams can "play both sides" or is "two footed" has ever actually watched him play? He's so incredibly one-footed and only plays LB for United due to lack of other options. He is a right back and also seems to be playing most of United's games recently.

Doubt they are signing Telles or anyone else so Williams will stay.

Is there still a chance to get Boufal and Hoedt off the wage bill? It seems Vest and Fraser have a future here after all, which is good. Slowly we are ridding ourselves of the dead wood and building a positive squad. Credit to the manager and the Board

Interested to see that Grujic not even on Liverpool's bench tonight after what was described as a good performance the other night. He must be some way down the pecking order so maybe some mileage in him going out on loan. Whether to us or not is another matter.

Unless Klopp looks to rethink after the firsts half at Villa Park.

56 minutes ago, igsey said:

Not sure anybody that is saying Williams can "play both sides" or is "two footed" has ever actually watched him play? He's so incredibly one-footed and only plays LB for United due to lack of other options. He is a right back and also seems to be playing most of United's games recently.

Doubt they are signing Telles or anyone else so Williams will stay.

Hes a decent player and very much able to use both feet.dare I say but he's prob better than vokins 

Edited by jimmysaint7

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

Interested to see that Grujic not even on Liverpool's bench tonight after what was described as a good performance the other night. He must be some way down the pecking order so maybe some mileage in him going out on loan. Whether to us or not is another matter.

Unless Klopp looks to rethink after the firsts half at Villa Park.

I think signing Diallo has closed off any Grujic talk.

Winger or bust tomorrow.

From Sky:

Southampton have made an enquiry to Manchester United over a potential deal for defender Brandon Williams

Ralph Hasenhüttl has not hidden his desire to strengthen before Monday’s international and Premier League deadline, and the full-back position is an area he would like to add to.

Manchester United are currently focusing on incomings but it’s believed any potential loan deal would come with an attachment that Williams would have to play games, which Southampton can’t guarantee. 

It’s thought a deal at this stage looks unlikely, but the south-coast club have not written off a potential late move on deadline day.  

Williams has found his game-time limited to the Carabao Cup this season and with Alex Telles' move from Porto imminent, the Mancunian may be keen to head out to play regularly. 

Truly bizarre. Why do we need to add to full back? Let's see what happens. This signing would confuse the f*k out of me if it happens.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From Sky:

Truly bizarre. Why do we need to add to full back? Let's see what happens. This signing would confuse the f*k out of me if it happens.

Can he play further forward? Got a lot of pace and a decent cross on him. The modern day Gareth Bale 😂😂

Williams would be odd to say the least. He wouldn’t come on loan just to sit on our bench and he’s no obvious improvement on either side of defence.

I still think my Rom is leaving next summer and Diallo isn’t necessarily a starter every game theory has legs. With that flight from Liverpool (which could be anything TBF) and Grujic not in Liverpool’s squad today, it’s plausible although if I were a betting man it’d be on an AM.

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Williams would be odd to say the least. He wouldn’t come on loan just to sit on our bench and he’s no obvious improvement on either side of defence.

I still think my Rom is leaving next summer and Diallo isn’t necessarily a starter every game theory has legs. With that flight from Liverpool (which could be anything TBF) and Grujic not in Liverpool’s squad today, it’s plausible although if I were a betting man it’d be on an AM.

Gruijc should be straight in that Liverpool midfield! They had no one in there today!

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We have two first choice full backs already, so he'd be coming here as cover from a club he's already cover. Makes no sense for Man Utd, us or Williams.

As of tomorrow, he'll be third choice at Utd