• James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings
    • Shane Long
    • Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/20 at 18:00

34 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We are a top top team now, scary to say

Did you read the match reaction thread after the Arsenal match less than 2 weeks ago? We played attractive football today, but we are very inconsistent.

12th  place is about right for us. Would be nice to get to 50 points though.

• Like 1

I can actually enjoy watching Saints on TV for the first time foe a few years.

Amazing what Ralph has done since the Leicester match, which as I'm always out on Friday nights thankfully I missed,

We look classy, fast, slick with great skills and passing, a joy to watch.

Think we may get a bit "leggy" in the last few matches, but to finish 11th would be very satisfying and also financially rewarding.

About the penalty, JWP has gone down a notch in my estimation, not that this will bother anyone. One of the commentators said that he was already going down before he made contact with the defender.  The highlights confirm that and so does the reappraisal by the PL.  

Diving is cheating and Saints players should be above that.  I'm proud of my team when they win by playing football, not when they get a result by cheating.  I'm pleased that the penalty was missed but there was another reason to disparage Ward-Prowse over the incident. Having been given the penalty he should have asked Danny Ings to take it., not only because Ings is our top striker by a mile but because another goal would help him towards the Golden Boot.  Instead, having got the penalty by unfair means, Ward-Prowse then showed his selfish streak by taking it himself.  The miss, and the shame that will carry in the minds of the players, has damaged his reputation,, in my eyes if no others.

Edited by Professor

19 minutes ago, Professor said:

About the penalty, JWP has gone down a notch in my estimation, not that this will bother anyone. One of the commentators said that he was already going down before he made contact with the defender.  The highlights confirm that and so does the reappraisal by the PL.  

Diving is cheating and Saints players should be above that.  I'm proud of my team when they win by playing football, not when they get a result by cheating.  I'm pleased that the penalty was missed but there was another reason to disparage Ward-Prowse over the incident. Having been given the penalty he should have asked Danny Ings to take it., not only because Ings is our top striker by a mile but because another goal would help him towards the Golden Boot.  Instead, having got the penalty by unfair means, Ward-Prowse then showed his selfish streak by taking it himself.  The miss, and the shame that will carry in the minds of the players, has damaged his reputation,, in my eyes if no others.

No words, what a planker - get over yourself.

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Penalty should not have been awarded according to the PL  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

I thought it looked iffy, but given how few legit ones we get awarded i was happy to get it

I thought it was soft but then there's plenty of soft penalties given that don't earn premier league rebuke for some reason. 

problem with the PL basically saying it was a dive is that JWP wont get penalties awarded inthe future on 50-50's.

Point is always good at Goodison but caught by one longball and so they decided 2nd half to lump it long.

We were pretty good and I was pretty relaxed watching the game.

Madness with the Bednarek tackle, its either foul and red card or play on. The problem with VAR is that it is the old boys club, they dont want to show their mates up and so side with them.

Perhaps the Stockley Park team should be ex professionals who have really studied the laws of the game and kept apart from the refs.

Overall I thought Lee Mason was pretty fair even though hes from Pompey

9 hours ago, SaintTex said:

Did you read the match reaction thread after the Arsenal match less than 2 weeks ago? We played attractive football today, but we are very inconsistent.

12th  place is about right for us. Would be nice to get to 50 points though.

I can't remember where I read it, but since the international break in November we've been 5th in the form table (that was after the City game, possibly we've dropped a place or two after last night). 

This season reminds me a lot of 97/98, we finished 12th after the standard 90s dreadful start to the season.

10 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

I can't remember where I read it, but since the international break in November we've been 5th in the form table (that was after the City game, possibly we've dropped a place or two after last night). 

Joint 4th on points; 5th on goal difference....

image.thumb.png.a98167d077d691ad6432d3aec140d4d2.png

2 hours ago, waylander said:

Penalty should not have been awarded according to the PL  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

I thought it looked iffy, but given how few legit ones we get awarded i was happy to get it

It should never have been a penalty, said it at the time, there was no foul. But given how many we have been denied in the past I wouldn't have argued against it. Still our dead ball expert managed to cock it up anyway so no harm done 🤪

1 hour ago, Professor said:

There was no dive, he was simply falling over. I'm not his greatest fan but making out he dived is just nutty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What does that make Leicester, Utd & Chelsea. A top,top,top team? 

We’re nowhere near a top top team, it’s scary you think we are. 

We're currently a better team than Leicester and Chelsea, based on the most recent two thirds of the season.

(yes, I know..... "a team is judged over a whole season, not on recent form...blah blah blah".... but I would venture that the most recent two thirds of a season are probably more indicative of how good a team currently is rather than using the most distant third as a barometer....)

p.s. the above said, I wouldn't personally describe us as a "top top team". That is indeed stretching credibility somewhat :)

Edited by trousers

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we can pretty much write off any wins at Goodison, ever. Just exclude this game from any pre-season predictions and assume a non-win! If we had Messi out there, we still wouldn't win here.

We played well enough 1st half, should have been out of sight. We had them opened up so many times, they couldn't handle our movement.

Penalty miss was unfortunate, ings header was unfortunate, but we had so many opportunities and if it wasn't Goodson we'd have come away with another 3-1, easily. It's because it's Goodson that we can't, some sort of force field in front of the away goal or something.

2nd half we tired, which is so not surprising. So much effort has been put in over the last couple of weeks!

Onto the next one, not expecting anything from that if I'm honest, but we've got 3 games after Man Utd where we can hopefully end with a nice positive bounce.

I can't agree with that. WP is an excellent free kick taker. He has the ability to get the ball up and over the wall and back down into the goal from 20 yards out. For that, he needs elevation, power and skill. BUT … you don't need those skills for a penalty kick. I'm not a golfer, so forgive any inaccuracy with this illustration. A golfer needs a driver to hit it off the tee, but on the green he needs a putter. The drive is about power hitting, the putt is about controlled accuracy. Putting WP on the penalty was like using a driver on the green. He's not the best man for the job. He whacked it with reckless abandon. Ralph needs to reconsider best man for the penalty - Ings would be my choice. He's the king of controlled finishing.

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

We're currently a better team than Leicester and Chelsea, based on the most recent two thirds of the season.

(yes, I know..... "a team is judged over a whole season, not on recent form...blah blah blah".... but I would venture that the most recent two thirds of a season are probably more indicative of how good a team currently is rather than using the most distant third as a barometer....)

p.s. the above said, I wouldn't personally describe us as a "top top team". That is indeed stretching credibility somewhat :)

But we are playing well and there looks to be understanding, cohesion and a good team spirit. I'm hoping we can keep that up in the remaining games and carry it into next season.

13 hours ago, hasper57saint said:

Anyone any doubts that Richardson should be in his National Swimming team.? After all he’s a superb diver. 
we were far the better team and I know JWP is the captain but to take that penalty away from Danny cost us two points.

Thought I may be the only one thinking that way, so glad to read I'm not alone.

As I said in my last post, I would have Ings as preferred taker. But happy to know Ralph would have auditions and to establish who is the best penalty taker. It won't be JWP, I am sure of that.

24 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

But we are playing well and there looks to be understanding, cohesion and a good team spirit. I'm hoping we can keep that up in the remaining games and carry it into next season.

And so say all of us. At times last night we looked like the best team on the planet, some of our passing and running was mind-boggling-ly slick.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

26 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

And so say all of us. At times last night we looked like the best team on the planet, some of our passing and running was mind-boggling-ly slick.

Sure was.   I thought that first half performance was the equal of the best Pochettino and Koeman days.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That was one that got away. Of course we don't do Home & Dry.....

Word of advice to James

"Let somebody else take the bloody free kicks and penalties FFS!"

Penalties maybe, but free kicks? He's quite clearly one of the best takers of a direct free kick in the league. 

Richarlison and Mina (Did you see him having a go at Che having climbed all over him and flattened him) come across as a real obnoxious pair. I bet their dressing room is a real bundle of laughs with those two in it. I bet its non-stop hilarity and jokes. I bet Carlo Ancelotti goes home aching from laughter with those two. Actually has Ancelotti ever smiled? 

3 hours ago, trousers said:

We’ve beaten City (as did Norwich) in a bit of a freak game, but did play well. 

We’ve beaten Norwich, who are woeful & Watford who are  slightly better, but still poor. 

We couldn’t beat arsenal or Everton. 

Some people need to calm down. 

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Penalties maybe, but free kicks? He's quite clearly one of the best takers of a direct free kick in the league. 

I find it strange that he can put a free kick in the top corner from 25 yards with a wall in the way yet he has trouble with the odd penalty.

VAR and Mason had an absolute mare. It's embarrassing that the penalty was awarded. Awful from Mason in the first place and awful not to overturn it. 

Then there was the Bednarek incident where Mason clearly guessed what had happened and didn't dare to give the red that was clearly, indisputably,  undeniably the appropriate coloured card IF it was a foul. I guess he was relying on VAR to sort it out, which is OK if VAR is allowed to adjudicate on the foul - but it isn't, because he didn't show the red or give a pen. So then you have VAR deciding if the "foul" denied a goal scoring opportunity. As it self-evidently, no doubt, clearly did, then what the hell does an outcome of no red but an Everton free kick in a dangerous position mean? It's a nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

Richarlison and Mina (Did you see him having a go at Che having climbed all over him and flattened him) come across as a real obnoxious pair. I bet their dressing room is a real bundle of laughs with those two in it. I bet its non-stop hilarity and jokes. I bet Carlo Ancelotti goes home aching from laughter with those two. Actually has Ancelotti ever smiled? 

Yeah Mina seemed to do a mime, I assume of a fairy.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We’ve beaten City (as did Norwich) in a bit of a freak game, but did play well. 

We’ve beaten Norwich, who are woeful & Watford who are  slightly better, but still poor. 

We couldn’t beat arsenal or Everton. 

Some people need to calm down. 

Agreed. I was merely (and calmly) highlighting a fact that we've been better than Leicester and Chelsea (for example) over the last two thirds of the season.

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, benjii said:

VAR and Mason had an absolute mare. It's embarrassing that the penalty was awarded. Awful from Mason in the first place and awful not to overturn it. 

Then there was the Bednarek incident where Mason clearly guessed what had happened and didn't dare to give the red that was clearly, indisputably,  undeniably the appropriate coloured card IF it was a foul. I guess he was relying on VAR to sort it out, which is OK if VAR is allowed to adjudicate on the foul - but it isn't, because he didn't show the red or give a pen. So then you have VAR deciding if the "foul" denied a goal scoring opportunity. As it self-evidently, no doubt, clearly did, then what the hell does an outcome of no red but an Everton free kick in a dangerous position mean? It's a nonsense.

The words are “obvious goal scoring opportunity” on a “player running towards goal“.

Did Bednarek get a touch? Can anybody say that he didn’t?

7 hours ago, benjii said:

If he had sent Bednarek off, could VAR have overturned it then...? 

9 hours ago, LeG said:

All he needed to do was check the monitor. Its mind boggling. We need a new crop of refs in my opinion.

But he’s not allowed to? That’s on the PL for having a weird system. I agree that the monitor should be used. 

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If he had sent Bednarek off, could VAR have overturned it then...? 

I think so. I’m not sure! 

I guess we just have to be thankful Mason didn’t whip out the red in the first place. We usually get hard done by when he’s the ref so I’m surprised he didn’t. He must have had serious doubts whether it was a foul.