• James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings
    • Shane Long
    • Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/20 at 18:00

Should have won that, and broken the Everton jinx. We had all of the chances in the first half to have put the  match out of sight. Oh well, 4  points in the last two matches, but the other way round from what we might have expected, but beating City, it is the better way around.

Despite not getting the result we deserved, I enjoyed that. Great tempo to our play and some brilliant passing. Ancelotti did a good job second half dealing with our system but the consequence was a very boring game with minimal chances either end. I think we've got to appreciate the performances our players have been putting in during a small period of time with minimal rotation and accept the drop off in our performance was inevitable. We still looked the most likely winners at the end!

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

To be honest, yes, disappointed not to have won that after that first have performance, but even so , some of our football, the passing and moving was excellent.  I hope KWP doesnt become one of those players who has a brilliant trial with us then becomes useless when we sign him. ( If we sign him)

Ings brilliant again

• Like 1

Drat. Shame about the result, but the good thing is that we are disappointed about not winning and should have done. Trying to take out my own bias but I think we were the better team. When you look at just how inexperienced our bench it makes you reflect that if we could have put Boufal or Djenepo on their fresh legs, pace and trickery could have made the difference.

away point to Everton isn't to be sniffed at, especially given we missed a penalty. We played well. Second half everton adapted to play like an away side against us but I still think we shaded the half. Could have done with boufal or djenepo.

Don't get the point of referees and VAR. the bednarek thing is either a red or good tackle, nothing in between, Bednarek gets the ball but gets booked and they get a free kick. Var looks and decides even though he got the ball all that means is that its not a red card offence. That's garbage, lucky they didn't score from the dangerous free kick position.

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

away point to Everton isn't to be sniffed at, especially given we missed a penalty. We played well. Second half everton adapted to play like an away side against us but I still think we shaded the half. Could have done with boufal or djenepo.

Don't get the point of referees and VAR. the bednarek thing is either a red or good tackle, nothing in between, Bednarek gets the ball but gets booked and they get a free kick. Var looks and decides even though he got the ball all that means is that its not a red card offence. That's garbage, lucky they didn't score from the dangerous free kick position.

I'm not sure, but I think VAR only had power to decide whether it was a red card or not.

They judged Bednarek got the ball, so it wasn't a red card, but didn't have the power to overturn the free kick or yellow card that had been given.

First half we were superb and Everton then realised they couldn't play the game in midfield as we had too much class for them so they went for the old hoofball. Very impressed with us especially after a very draining game on Sunday and picking the same eleven. It is clear what Ralph and the coaching staff are working on and I think we are becoming a very good side. With one or two tweaks and maybe the odd new face I can see us developing into a great side to watch.

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
9 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I'm not sure, but I think VAR only had power to decide whether it was a red card or not.

They judged Bednarek got the ball, so it wasn't a red card, but didn't have the power to overturn the free kick or yellow card that had been given.

This is what's stupid about VAR. Limiting the decisions it can make means it will keep on making bad decisions. What should have happened here was no foul, dropped ball to Saints.

VAR was in effect in the ludicrous position of deciding "If that was a foul, would it be a red?" rather than first, "was it a foul" then if so, the other question 

• Like 3

I think we can pretty much write off any wins at Goodison, ever. Just exclude this game from any pre-season predictions and assume a non-win! If we had Messi out there, we still wouldn't win here.

We played well enough 1st half, should have been out of sight. We had them opened up so many times, they couldn't handle our movement.

Penalty miss was unfortunate, ings header was unfortunate, but we had so many opportunities and if it wasn't Goodson we'd have come away with another 3-1, easily. It's because it's Goodson that we can't, some sort of force field in front of the away goal or something.

2nd half we tired, which is so not surprising. So much effort has been put in over the last couple of weeks!

Onto the next one, not expecting anything from that if I'm honest, but we've got 3 games after Man Utd where we can hopefully end with a nice positive bounce.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I think we can pretty much write off any wins at Goodison, ever. Just exclude this game from any pre-season predictions and assume a non-win! If we had Messi out there, we still wouldn't win here.

We played well enough 1st half, should have been out of sight. We had them opened up so many times, they couldn't handle our movement.

Penalty miss was unfortunate, ings header was unfortunate, but we had so many opportunities and if it wasn't Goodson we'd have come away with another 3-1, easily. It's because it's Goodson that we can't, some sort of force field in front of the away goal or something.

2nd half we tired, which is so not surprising. So much effort has been put in over the last couple of weeks!

Onto the next one, not expecting anything from that if I'm honest, but we've got 3 games after Man Utd where we can hopefully end with a nice positive bounce.

We'll get it eventually, especially if Everton's recruitment continues at their current standard.

We'd never won against Pep last week after all :)

"We know James Ward-Prowse is a very safe penalty shooter but I always have a problem with the guy who is fouled and picks up the ball. We have a clear ranking and we will not discuss this. As long as Danny Ings has goals in his game and we win, we are happy."

Naughty boy. 

We could do with some recruitment ourselves.  Our bench is so limited.   Ok, Boufal and Djenepo are out but we really aren't doing badly for injuries, especially considering the amount of games at the moment.  We have the chance of a decent season come September if we invest, even just a little.  

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but our football has been an absolute joy to watch since the restart; it makes me very excited for next season. I think we have a very very good manager and the club deserve huge praise for sticking with him after the Leicester fiasco. He's the first manager we've had since Poch to actually improve players. I hope he continues to persist with Che and Danny up front. Makings of an excellent partnership.

Every time I watch us, I'm left ruing the same leadership weaknesses at the back though. We really really lack a commanding CB to organise the defence. This is one of the reasons we concede so many goals from long balls. You wonder whose out there that we could grab, but I would like to see an older, experienced organising CB come in. If we can then grab KWP I think we could do seriously well next year. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Manuel said:

We could do with some recruitment ourselves.  Our bench is so limited.   Ok, Boufal and Djenepo are out but we really aren't doing badly for injuries, especially considering the amount of games at the moment.  We have the chance of a decent season come September if we invest, even just a little.  

I'm much happier with a lean squad.

It is a joy watching Saints since the break.  High tempo, pressing and fast and incisive passing.

Disappointed not to win but to put that effort in after the monumental effort on Sunday is quite something.  Good times ahead I think.

Stephens range of passing was superb again - shame Bednarek and Bertrand were caught napping at the back and still not convinced at all by Adams.  

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I'm much happier with a lean squad.

Fair enough, but a couple more injuries, Hoj away and the squad starts to look paper thin.  We have a decent manager.  Next season could be the amazing but with the ownership as it is, we will miss an opportunity. 

16 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Fair enough, but a couple more injuries, Hoj away and the squad starts to look paper thin.  We have a decent manager.  Next season could be the amazing but with the ownership as it is, we will miss an opportunity. 

With Hoj, Boufal, Cédric, Yoshi, Clasie and Austin all coming off our wage bill, you’d think we might free up a bit of breathing space, in that regard.

As well as we played in the first half, I was a little disappointed with Redmond. He's not been at his best since the restart and wasn't really involved in any of our decent attacks tonight. Always looking to slow the play down and give the opposition the chance to reset rather than play the early ball in behind. It's a shame because we know he can do much better than that when he's on form. 

Anchelotti is no mug he changed it up, nullifying us a little, think the yellows for both Centre backs and Armstrong clipped our wings a little bit in the challenge.

We looked so pleasing on the eye first half, how we weren’t out of sight was amazing, but Everton were stubborn defending as we were against City Sunday. Again Walker- Peters for a player who looks like you could pop him in your pocket is a tenacious chap with a nice touch, liked it when he lost the ball he quickly made up for it winning it back, I certainly would have no issue if we could snap him up if Spurs don’t want him.

Redmond still drives me up the wall, gets the ball runs gets near the box and the bigger boys home in on him and he just stops, some on here have said they are not convinced by Adams, personally I think Adams football brain is much sharper than Redmond.

Still we got something off Everton a spawny winner from them would have been a travesty. 

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

As well as we played in the first half, I was a little disappointed with Redmond. He's not been at his best since the restart and wasn't really involved in any of our decent attacks tonight. Always looking to slow the play down and give the opposition the chance to reset rather than play the early ball in behind. It's a shame because we know he can do much better than that when he's on form. 

I too think he hasn't been his usual self, not to say it is bad, Just not currently in form. Tonight we missed Moussa, I feel he could of got over the line.

Defender chops down a forward going in on goal....yellow card.

What sort of decision was that?

VAR checks for red and by saying no, clearly indicates that it wasn't a foul.

What a bizarre way to abuse perfectly good technology.

Get some sensible people operating it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Defender chops down a forward going in on goal....yellow card.

What sort of decision was that?

VAR checks for red and by saying no, clearly indicates that it wasn't a foul.

What a bizarre way to abuse perfectly good technology.

Get some sensible people operating it.

Surely the ref also feels like an idiot when that happens because they've basically said he was wrong in the first place and he knows it. 

11 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We are a top top team now, scary to say

We’re playing well at the moment but we’re 12th for a reason. We aren’t this good and we aren’t as bad as the team that just lost to Newcastle, Burnley and West Ham.

Quite enjoyed the first half.

Up until the Richarlison goal, i thought it was the best football we played in years, totally dominating to that point.

A shame about Prowsy's missed PK, but that was such a soft foul i got over the miss quickly. i would have been irate if it had been called against us.

• Like 1

Obviously disappointed with 1-1 when, we could (should) have been 3-0 up before they scored and they would have been dead and buried. However, the style of football we are playing is great. Slick passing, great movement, attacking mindset and closing down from the front. Players getting stuck in....and smiling! Compare all that to the style of play we had to endure under  Puel, The Clown and to some degree, Hughes although I acknowledge Hughes saved us from an almost certain drop and who knows where we would have been by now if we had dropped. Ralph has turned so many of these players around and long may it last. I'm always proud to be a Saint, but especially so at the moment. Disappointed with a draw at Everton having completely outclassed them?......that ain't so bad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We are a top top team now, scary to say

I think that's jumping the gun a bit but we are playing some very nice stuff at the moment. Considering our overall performance and the missed pen' it's disappointing not to take 3 points but I'd have settled for a draw before the game.