Saints 2-0 Everton

johnnyboy

Saints 2-0 Everton  

294 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm still gobsmacked that MOTD chose not to bother showing the disallowed goal from Armstrong that the lino took an ice age to decide was offside. It looked blatant in real time on Sky but the replay showed it was actually much closer than it first looked. And it was a great finish. 

Just bizarre. 

Yes, I thought the offside goal would have been worth showing. The Assistants have been instructed to keep their flags down if it’s a close decision and let VAR make the final call. I don’t like it.

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

Did you tune in for the Arsenal game then? I doubt many Arsenal fans did either. Anyway its not about that its about impartiality as it often said that the sequence is down to the importance, amount of goals scored and incident. 

Yes, I only cared for the Arsenal game personally as I'd watched the Saints stuff previously. As it happened, I hadn't finished my cup of tea so carried on watching Saints. And like I said, who cares about who comes first, impartiality, incidents and all that bollocks, it's a highlights show, just watch it so you've seen everything that happened for the weekend. Everything else including running order, pundits, montages and who said what...it's meaningless. 

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yes, I only cared for the Arsenal game personally as I'd watched the Saints stuff previously. As it happened, I hadn't finished my cup of tea so carried on watching Saints. And like I said, who cares about who comes first, impartiality, incidents and all that bollocks, it's a highlights show, just watch it so you've seen everything that happened for the weekend. Everything else including running order, pundits, montages and who said what...it's meaningless. 

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Did you tune in for the Arsenal game then? I doubt many Arsenal fans did either. Anyway its not about that its about impartiality as it often said that the sequence is down to the importance, amount of goals scored and incident. 

9 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

BBC article about us said Long stormed down the tunnel today. Anyone know anything more about this?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54685092

Trying to make a story out of nothing. He was primed to come on for about 2 mins and when it became obvious he wouldn't get on, he went down the tunnel with the rest of the subs to the dressing room.

A really comprehensive win. I wasn't too surprised by Everton as that's how I remember them most seasons, they have been the media darlings so far this season but they still don't have enough quality to sustain at the top. They'll drift back down to top 8ish levels I'd have thought.

We were very experienced in our approach though, we knew how to play it to the letter. We frustrated them, kept them at arms length, defended against them really well and just frustrated the hell out of them.

Our passing and movement off the ball has improved so much since the restart in July, very sharp and quick - too much for most sides. JWP and Romeu have really settled into a terrific partnership, they know where each other off the ball so they can pre-empt the moves and passes - it makes it flow so much better through the middle.

It's only 6 games though! Long way to go. We started last season okish, we had like 8 or so points after 5 games...so it's only two more, but it does feel a lot more complete in terms of the performances we're putting in. This is now a continuation of where we left of last season, perhaps this is just our new norm?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Oh and listening to Ryan Bertrand in the weekend pod on BBC was pretty good, as they said to him did he know it was a year since the 9-0, with him replying did they have a cake and balloons. He also said did they also report the anniversary of the 8-0 v Sunderland . He spoke well about the club

just listened to this, Ryan came over brilliantly and very clear he loves the club, and sure he will sign the new contract that's been muted

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Trying to make a story out of nothing. He was primed to come on for about 2 mins and when it became obvious he wouldn't get on, he went down the tunnel with the rest of the subs to the dressing room.

From that Times article:

“Dominic Calvert-Lewin also became frustrated late on. He’d received no service, certainly few balls in to bring the best out of that prodigious leap. He battled gamely but was living off scraps. He touched the ball only 18 times and eventually became so vexed that he left a foot in on Vestergaard. It seemed as though the defender would need replacing. Hasenhüttl looked up to his substitutes, sitting 20 rows back, and shouted, “Longy, Longy.” “Centre back?!” Shane Long inquired.”

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

From that Times article:

“Dominic Calvert-Lewin also became frustrated late on. He’d received no service, certainly few balls in to bring the best out of that prodigious leap. He battled gamely but was living off scraps. He touched the ball only 18 times and eventually became so vexed that he left a foot in on Vestergaard. It seemed as though the defender would need replacing. Hasenhüttl looked up to his substitutes, sitting 20 rows back, and shouted, “Longy, Longy.” “Centre back?!” Shane Long inquired.”

Very droll.

16 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Was that Match of the Day 2 I just watched or Everton fan TV? 🤔 

- Bizarre Everton fan montage wasting time before the highlights ✔
- Constant references to the 9-0 game ✔
- Two ex Everton players as pundits making excuses ✔

What really really hacked me off was their perspective of the first goal. Oh yes, they let the player drift. They switched off. Terrible marking.  Horseshite. Nothing about him moving into space and losing his marker. Nothing about the lovely flick in the first place. Nothing about the great one two or the perfect thru ball. All they focused on were Everton mistakes. Couple of dullards !!

18 minutes ago, Verbal said:

The Guardian was also good - leading on Che Adams' performance.  On which subject, what a pleasure it is to see him playing so well.  

That was the best I've seen Adams play for us. Held the ball up well and was very energetic in pressing and chasing. His finish was still a bit hit hard and hope for my taste, but I suppose we have Ings providing the precision.

53 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

That was the best I've seen Adams play for us. Held the ball up well and was very energetic in pressing and chasing. His finish was still a bit hit hard and hope for my taste, but I suppose we have Ings providing the precision.

The movement for his goal was good. From winning the ball deep on the left to running over to the right wing and finding space was exceptional.

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

What really really hacked me off was their perspective of the first goal. Oh yes, they let the player drift. They switched off. Terrible marking.  Horseshite. Nothing about him moving into space and losing his marker. Nothing about the lovely flick in the first place. Nothing about the great one two or the perfect thru ball. All they focused on were Everton mistakes. Couple of dullards !!

It's a bit like this place - if we concede a goal it is never because the opposition did something well it's always because scapegoat of the day did something wrong

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Verbal said:

The Guardian was also good - leading on Che Adams' performance.  On which subject, what a pleasure it is to see him playing so well.  

6 goals in his last 12 games, he's certainly found his feet now.

He is such a powerful centre forward. He's not the most refined technically, but he's very powerful and his hold up play is the best we've had since Pelle/Lambert days.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

For £15m he's produced far better than our rivals have managed to extract from the likes of Haller, Wesley and Tosun.

10 hours ago, OldNick said:

How was Arsenal Leicester the first game when it ended 1-0? Our game had the league leaders being beaten, 2 -0 and a red card.Im glad I didnt stay up waiting for the programme and as for 2 Everton pundits! Chappers did try to even it out but BBC impartiality really is a non thing nowadays

That's the beauty of watching it on i player on Monday morning, all the boring guff can be ignored by moving the timer slider along. No need to watch the Emirates bore fest or all that pre-match Everton love in crap and with the  added bonus of switching off the minute the pundits do their bit. What's not to like. Ralph would be proud of such organisation. Thoroughly recommend it.

4 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

One of the things that's great about watching the side now is seeing the sort of one and two touch football that was a kind of signature at Saints in the late 70s and 80s.  (Steve Williams would fit well into this set-up.)  But JWP's goal was a particularly good example of it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Pleased to note that the posters on this forum are discerning enough to recognise a defender, like Romeo  and not an attacker who is in the limelight more, is Mom material.

Selling Hogbert i]has given Romeo his chance and he has grasped it 'with both feet'

I’d completely forgotten about Højbjerg. I think we play better without him.

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

Pleased to note that the posters on this forum are discerning enough to recognise a defender, like Romeo  and not an attacker who is in the limelight more, is Mom material.

Selling Hogbert i]has given Romeo his chance and he has grasped it 'with both feet'

To be fair Romeu made the position his own shortly after coming out of lockdown, it was Romeu and JWP as the choice starting two within a short while after football resumed. Which is why I wasn’t all that bothered seeing Hojberg go except for the lack of cover/competition, which hopefully has been ably filled by Diallo.

When Romeu is on song, as he was against Everton, he can properly boss a midfield. Since securing his place back in spring he’s put in some very good, consistent performances.

On 26/10/2020 at 10:33, oldsarum said:

just listened to this, Ryan came over brilliantly and very clear he loves the club, and sure he will sign the new contract that's been muted

Could you let me know the name of the podcast? I'd like to give that a listen 👍

16 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Transitions are quicker and we get forward quicker without the Backward passes.

I agree but I have to admit that Højbjerg seems to be playing better at Tottenham than he did for us. That means that either he was deliberatley playing conservatvely for us or that our management were asking him to play that way.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I agree but I have to admit that Højbjerg seems to be playing better at Tottenham than he did for us. That means that either he was deliberatley playing conservatvely for us or that our management were asking him to play that way.

Or he has better players in front of him? Eg Kane & Son.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Or he has better players in front of him? Eg Kane & Son.

I think it's just simply that he has less pressure on him - both positionally (playing in a midfield 3 instead of 2, can afford to take more risks as they will be easier to mop up) and personally, as he's not captain. I think at Saints he put a lot of pressure on himself - captain should be driving the game etc. etc. - which caused him to play too conservatively for our style.

32 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Red card downgraded from a three match suspension to a one. Bizarre. It must be okay to mistime tactical fouls now. 

I actually think that's fair - yellow for the first attempt to take his legs, and then yellow for clumsily standing on his calf. Two yellows = one match ban. 

Edited by LaptopSaint

31 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Red card downgraded from a three match suspension to a one. Bizarre. It must be okay to mistime tactical fouls now. 

Assume they are looking at it as two yellows? Ridiculous. You won't convince me that wasn't deliberate violent conduct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, igsey said:

I think it's just simply that he has less pressure on him - both positionally (playing in a midfield 3 instead of 2, can afford to take more risks as they will be easier to mop up) and personally, as he's not captain. I think at Saints he put a lot of pressure on himself - captain should be driving the game etc. etc. - which caused him to play too conservatively for our style.

Different team differnet players and system , plus wanting to do well in new team . It could well be that the other players at Spurs free him up etc

58 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Assume they are looking at it as two yellows? Ridiculous. You won't convince me that wasn't deliberate violent conduct

Ah ..but it was Everton, and " the commission " can't be seen to show disfavour to such a famous manager as Ancelotti...when he makes a joke.

Digne looks like the type of player who  can garner Yellow cards without any real  problem..I 'll watch him in their future games....

55 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Me neither.

If you watch the replay very carefully he put his hands up to plead innocence first, then deliberately extended his right leg outwards on the next stride. It's barely noticeable, but you can see his leg go out in an unnatural direction and his foot raise up to a higher angle than his previous strides.

It was obviously intentional, and his behaviour upon being shown the card clearly proves his head was gone. Reducing the suspension is an absolute joke. 

54 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Me neither.

If you watch the replay very carefully he put his hands up to plead innocence first, then deliberately extended his right leg outwards on the next stride. It's barely noticeable, but you can see his leg go out in an unnatural direction and his foot raise up to a higher angle than his previous strides.

It was obviously intentional, and his behaviour upon being shown the card clearly proves his head was gone. Reducing the suspension is an absolute joke. 

Yep. If he had time to hold his hands up then he had time to avoid treading on WP’s legs.

54 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The independent panel, along with countless pundits, clearly have an agenda against us. I’m sticking with the unbiased members  on here, clear assault lol. 

Thanks for your many posts on this subject Duckie. I think that you have proved conclusively that football supporters are biased towards their own team and see things through rose tinted glasses. Who would believe it??

Perhaps your next mission might be to discover the religion of the Pope or perhaps to discover what bears do in the woods. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

From the posts since Everton’s appeal, not many on here. They’re still convinced it was a vicious assault. 

Careful, you’ll be accused of letting your political views cloud your judgement of a tackle on a football pitch.