Saints 2-0 Everton

johnnyboy

Saints 2-0 Everton  

294 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

If somebody had predicted that after 6 games we wouild be above Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, and Man Utd, they would have been locked up for their own good. ( and yes I know that most of them have a game in hand, but "points on the board" ).

Regarding the match, what an excellent team performance. Calvert-Lewin probably had the least number of touches in any match he's played. ( And I didn't realise that Ekoku was an Everton fan ).

Totally bossed that, played them off the park in all departments. Really good to watch, some of the short passing in tight spaces was very impressive. Technically and tactically very good and confidence sky high, exciting times.

Wouldn't have picked Redders as MOTM (lots of candidates but thought Romeu shaded it), but he had a good game and is an integral part of the system we play.

• Like 1

I have a lot of faith in this team.

That said, I saw the half time score then didn’t look again until full time. Of all the possible end scores, I didn’t once think of 2-0 still.

That made me happier than something like a 3-1 or 4-2 🙂

Edited by Sunglasses Ron

7 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Professional job in the second half - albeit the contest was over after Digne thought (and still thinks) he could surf on Walker-Peters' ankle.

Not sure how Redmond was Motm, as he decision making in the final third was appalling, but he kept going and started to look a bit more switched on the longer the game wore on. Prowse the best player - he was everywhere.

Lovely cameo from Diallo. Yes, it was ten minutes against ten men, but he looked smooth, confident and fit like a glove.

Everton are nowhere near the real deal. I thought they'd struggle with Richarlison missing. Their squad depth up front is shite and it showed. All they had up their sleeves was humping in crosses to Calvert-Lewin, and Vestergaard had his number all afternoon.

What a nice day it's turned out to be...

Thought Diallo looked very comfortable when he came on. Good stuff.

If I have to hear many more commentators going on about that 0-9 score line, I will plead severe provocation when I appear in court. Let it drop for pity's sake. I was very proud to be a Saints fan today. So hard to pick a MOTM. It is lovely to see the spirit they have as a team. Results like this boosts their confidence no end. 

• Like 3

Best performance in a very long time. I note how much better Saints play when RH has time to prepare the team. JWP and Romeu ran the game. Everyone was good, with perhaps Redmond and Armstrong a bit below par. Maybe the media will stfu about Everton for 5 minutes now.....probably not.

Always satisfying to get one over Everton after all the punishment they have dished out to us over the years.

The team is playing well now but that's because we have one of the best managers in the league.  Comparing what he's getting out of our players to what the last 3 managers did and it's like night and day.

Gao has gotten 1 thing right......but that thing was probably his key responsibility, hiring Ralph.

He really is a class act.

• Like 1

For the first 20 minutes there was only one person on the pitch. Some nipper called Calvert-Lewin and Alan Smith was creaming his hamps every time he touched the ball,which incidentally,was’nt very often. How many times was the heaviest defeat mentioned? We outplayed and out thought them  and still Smith failed to give us any credit. The red card tackle deserved a 12 month ban. Moronic describes that tackle. Pleasantly surprised that our not so friendly, in the past , Kevin Friend wasn’t too bad. Like many others on here we were astounded that Redmond got MOTM when others deserved it but there you go. I am happy with a win and the bursting of the Toffees bubble. Most entertaining for us Saints. 

• Like 1

I've done my ratings. Under here.

McCarthy 6 - didn't have anything to do but delivered a very effective fisting. 

KWP 8 - Iwobi was arse dangleberries but he still played well.

Bednarek 8 - very solid

Vestergaard 8 - really stepped up lately and very solid again.

Bertrand 8 - you feel like he's playing within himself a bit sometimes but always in control.

JWP 9 - my MoM. Tenacious, good passing, great finish.

Romeu 9 - bossed it with JWP.

Armstrong 8 - adds a lot to the team with his pace and movement.

Redmond 5 - a load of toss. Gave it away constantly. Fluffed chances. The MoM on the TV must have been a bet / wind-up. 

Adams 9 - he's a yard off the pace in his movement sometimes but he is getting better and better on the ball. Some great first touches and strength.  And a goal!

Ings 7 - he made quite a few errors but two nice assists, particularly the second one, which was proper class.

• Like 1

Whilst Digne's foul on KWP wasn't in Roy Keane territory it was dangerous play none the less. Digne knew exactly what he was doing - "I can scrape my studs down his legs here and make it look accidental". Fair play to the ref and VAR for not falling for it

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Graffito said:

Best performance in a very long time. I note how much better Saints play when RH has time to prepare the team. JWP and Romeu ran the game. Everyone was good, with perhaps Redmond and Armstrong a bit below par. Maybe the media will stfu about Everton for 5 minutes now.....probably not.

I noticed that too. It’s like whole week is focussed on the opposition and their tendencies. Learning how to contain them and how to hurt them. When he doesn’t get that whole week we don’t seem to know what to do.

Been mentioned earlier but Lawro actually had us down to win 2-0. Normally that would be the kiss of death but, well done lads, we proved him right!

I know it's only 6 games in but this is a great confidence boost and hopefully shows the direction of travel. When I look at the table I actually look up instead of down. Good feeling.

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Whilst Digne's foul on KWP wasn't in Roy Keane territory it was dangerous play none the less. Digne knew exactly what he was doing - "I can scrape my studs down his legs here and make it look accidental". Fair play to the ref and VAR for not falling for it

There’s no “falling for it”, they pointed this out in the studio afterwards. Intent has absolutely nothing to do with it; so even if the ref did think it was completely accidental it was still dangerous and (according to the laws) a red card.

MLG twat mode off ffs.

Great win and such solid performance.  Ralph rightfully getting plaudits and seen few touting him for Utd and Chelsea. 

So many pundits are a waste of space these days. Add absolutely nothing. Giving Redmond MOTM then banging on about the ‘game gone’ for Digne’s shitty foul. The game has moved on from you useless fckers having your mid-life crises. Oh and don’t forget to be sanctimonious about racism Jamie. 

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

There’s no “falling for it”, they pointed this out in the studio afterwards. Intent has absolutely nothing to do with it; so even if the ref did think it was completely accidental it was still dangerous and (according to the laws) a red card.

MLG twat mode off ffs.

This really.

It's a dangerous tackle and a clear red card. Intention has nothing to do with it. The fact he had two or three goes at him makes me think maybe he did mean it! 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

MLG twat mode off ffs.

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Great result and performance- should have won by more really. 

Everton were poor, they remind me of a good but ill-disciplined South American side , lots of late dirty challenges , poor losers. 

Going to be a weird season, we shouldn't get carried away , but let's keep this up. Villa will fancy their chances against us next week,  will hopefully help our tactics if they don't sit back. 

54 minutes ago, Secret Site Agent said:

Well done the boys. 

2 goals and Che coming good.

I bet on TV and in the media it won't be how good Saints were but al about how crap Everton were!!!

Over here, Robbie Mustoe was asked to comment on Everton. His response was he wanted to talk about how good Saints were.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

Great result and performance- should have won by more really. 

It’s nitpicking after a performance like that but I thought we could have really pushed on after they went to ten men. They were effectively playing with 9 as Rodriguez was just loafing about not doing too much. Fair enough they stayed professional, kept the shape and the ball. But I think there Was another goal or two for us there.

Not gonna complain any about it though, it was pretty much a faultless display (apart from Redmond).

So yet again we have to endure commentators who fawn over the “big boys”, bring themselves to climax just by shouting out certain players names, not do their research on us and then subject us to the weekly ritual of us having to play “nine nil bingo”  (I confess to having missed which minute it was brought up in this week! ) .........well we can but hope that after watching us completely dominate this game we actually get the credit that is so richly deserved. But alas as we all know it will be an Everton off day....... very simply fellow followers......ENJOY! 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Glad we were able to put Everton in their place. They were starting to become obnoxious and too big for their boots after just 5 games. Our easiest game so far.

Surprised Redmond got MOTD. He was decent but his finishing was horrible. JWP, Ings, Romeu and Adams more deserving IMO.

I only had ten players ahead of him, not counting subs.🙄🤣

So with no away games this year how the hell are the club going to dish out the away tickets in the champions league next season? I will be well pissed  if I don’t get a ticket for Real Madrid away!

well played saints, it was great to see the Everton bubble well and truely burst the arrogant wankers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

And not forgetting Redmond who was - utterly bizarrely - singled out by Alan Smith as MOTM. Anyway, whatever, excellent display, completely in control happy days.

I suspect Alan Smith (who normally I quite like, mainly because he isn't obsessed by Liverpool) was shocked that he had to pick a Southampton player and realised that he hadn't been watching Saints at all, as he was slobbering over Everton all game. So just tried to remember the name of one of our players. No one had a bad game, but Redmond was probably the worst of a good bunch. Romeu for me (and he didn't even get a yellow card, let alone red).

As others have said, thoroughly professional performance.  Three clean sheets out of four is the key to us having a genuine shot at European places as no one doubts we are likely to score.  If you throw away any entrenched views on Vest that you may have had from his first season here, and take a fresh look,  he is currently performing like a top four side centre back, dominating in the air and quality distribution.  Ralph again showing how he genuinely improves players individually as well as the team.

I personally think it was indeed a red card as that could have caused serious long term injury.

Get performance. Thoroughly deserved win.  

One point......how the hell did Redmond get MOTM??  He played ok ish but was probably our worst player on the pitch.

If they reverse that red card it will be a massive injustice. If that was a Saints player the pundits would have taken a totally different view... no way was a red harsh for that. 

Just now, Shroppie said:

I see Everton are going to appeal the red. Really hope it's upheld: he know what he was doing and it was nasty.

Was just tuning in to the radio and they asked if the extra game ban for a frivolous appeal was still a thing. They said 100% a red card.