johnnyboy

Saints 2-0 Everton  

294 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

39 minutes ago, nta786 said:

image.png.7126370d5415730d161169938d8eeaa1.png

is Gary serious?

'accidentally'??

KWP was gone and Digne knew, went in studs in from behind it could have been worse.

It's mental that ex pros can't see the malicious intent - digne saw red and did something nasty - he certainly isn't the first and he won't be the last. Next they'll be saying that Lou's Suarez taking a bite out of an opponent was just a bit of affection

I'm not sure I can afford Saints playing like this as I watched down the pub and had more than usual... In control, and although I was twitchy once or twice (I've supported Saints for a very long time) in the end I was relaxed and thought I'd support my local pub with another pint - even had to point out they'd missed off the last one when I asked to pay my tab.

There was so much slick passing going on. Even though I don't understand Redmond being MoM either he did, like everyone else, work his socks off.

The sort of game we really missed watching live..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nta786 said:

image.png.7126370d5415730d161169938d8eeaa1.png

is Gary serious?

'accidentally'??

KWP was gone and Digne knew, went in studs in from behind it could have been worse.

Is that, former Everton striker Gary Lineker?

Stick to the crisps and knobbing your nanny. Embarrassing yourself Gary.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Danny R said:

That was awesome, absolutely in charge. Why are people do obsessed with Redland being MOM? He was hardly awful and always offered an outlet, some of his link up play was great. 

Because some of ours just have to have a scapegoat. Vest has gone from zero to hero (and rightly so) so step forward some other mug. He’s not on best form but that’s temporary, give him some slack.

Great result, performances improving each week, what’s not to like?

• Like 2

I'm getting quite fond of this Hasenhüttl chap. JWP & OR looked a superb combination today, they have developed a fantastic partnership and find each other time and time again instinctively. The win didn't surprise me, we are making solid progress and dominating midfield against most teams where games are won or loss. Nobody played poorly today but Redmond was never MotM. A good win against Villa next week and we'll start looking like we belong in the top six.

One observation, Armstrong looked ill all match and should not in my opinion have been playing. He ran his socks off as usual but he didn't look completely clear of C19. Surprised the medics allowed him to play.

Romeu has been the stand out player for Saints this season. We are very lucky to have him.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Lineker needs to have a word with himself about his red card comments. 

He doubtless thinks that being as overpaid and overrated as he is, his word is Godlike. If the BBC got rid of him and replaced him with someone on 20% of his salary BBC football would be better off IMHO. He’s been around far too long when other younger pundits are far more balanced and much more objective. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I see Everton are going to appeal the red. Really hope it's upheld: he know what he was doing and it was nasty.

I'm reminded of the arrogance shown by Evertonians when Koeman moved there with their supporters saying Everton would sign Saints' best players "because they could".  That was before Koeman was given the largest transfer budget in Everton's history, the team dropped into the relegation zone and Koeman was sacked.

As for challenging the red card, the suspension should be doubled for a frivolous appeal against dangerous play. 

After that game, Jay Rodriguez, formerly of this parish > J. Rodriguez, latterly in this parish. 😄

Very comfortable win, annoyingly I had to Sky+ it and watch it after it had finished due to agreeing to take my daughter to softplay at 2pm by mistake. (Thought we were the late game for some reason 🙄) Ings my MOTM, 2 assists and he just never lets up. I was also impressed by the Diallo cameo, and no player was less than and 8 out of 10, except perhaps McCarthy who had so little to do!

The red card was correct. Nasty challenge even if it was unintentional. If we lose KWP we have issues.

Now we see if we can knock Villa off their perch. Top 4 here we come...? 🤗

p.s. been said before, but N’Lundulu is a frigging unit.

43 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

It's mental that ex pros can't see the malicious intent - digne saw red and did something nasty - he certainly isn't the first and he won't be the last. Next they'll be saying that Lou's Suarez taking a bite out of an opponent was just a bit of affection

As if every Saints fan would be saying “fair play defo red” if one of ours was sent off for that. There’d be people complaining and moaning it wasn’t a red. Let’s not try and pretend otherwise. 

• Like 1

Friend saw the initial challenge on KWP from Digne, and was tracking him all the way through to the second challenge, which would have looked horrendous from behind.

Unintential or not, there was intent to take him out, and he wasn't going to stop until he did so.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

The red card was correct. Nasty challenge even if it was unintentional. If we lose KWP we have issues.

I wonder if Ralph would resort to playing JWP at Right Back and bring in Diallo to start alongside Romeo in that scenario? 

Well that totally pi$$ed on Sky's chips. Unbelievably biased build up and commentary. How many times can we say Calvert-Lewin in 5 minutes? How many times can we refer to the 0-9 anniversary? Or the "annihilation" of us by Spurs. Or Southampton's "darkest day". Give it a rest Sky.   

Anyway - brilliant result. Fortress St. Mary's! ......Captain Marvellous (JWP) my MOTM ......Goal Machine Che Adams........King of assists Danny Ings......bloody hell, I even thought Kevin Friend was decent. I know, it's all been a dream, no doubt I'll wake up in a minute. 

2 minutes ago, markr27 said:

Friend saw the initial challenge on KWP from Digne, and was tracking him all the way through to the second challenge, which would have looked horrendous from behind.

Unintential or not, there was intent to take him out, and he wasn't going to stop until he did so.

Glad someone else saw that I thought perhaps I had dreamed it. Taters tried to claim there was no intent, my arse, Digne had every intention of getting KWP after he had failed to stop him the first time. I suspect the red was actually for the two actions combined, he would probably have got a yellow for the first challenge had play stopped. Digne had the red mist and was going to stop KWP come what may. Should get an extra match suspension for his antics when he left the field.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, benjii said:

I thought the red was harsh but he should have had two yellows for that passage of play.

I thought that was what the ref was going to do.  Pull out 2 yellows after he played advantage following the first challenge.  Would have been easier to defend than a straight red I imagine.  

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

I wonder if Ralph would resort to playing JWP at Right Back and bring in Diallo to start alongside Romeo in that scenario? 

Based on having Vokins on the bench today over Valery, I suspect you’re right. But JWP and Romeu have built such a good partnership in the middle, it would be worrying to break it up. Let’s hope we don’t have to. Signing Brandon Williams in January (or someone of that calibre) would make total sense for squad depth.

https://images.app.goo.gl/qxBFrR92eijpBMUT6

Was a definite red, that was a potential ankle breaker IMO. Ancelotti needs to watch it again. If that red card gets overturned I’d be very surprised. Karen Carney said it was a red. Not malicious but dangerous.

11 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Glad someone else saw that I thought perhaps I had dreamed it. Taters tried to claim there was no intent, my arse, Digne had every intention of getting KWP after he had failed to stop him the first time. 

no mate, if challenges like that are reds then the game has..................like...............................gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Another thing about the red card, KWP did very well to maintain his composure there as if I had been on the receiving end of that challenge and ended up with Dignes face inches from my boot I think the temptation to kick out would have been too great. 

Very impressed with him so far. Positionally sometimes  a worry but looks to be a good buy

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Don't get the Redmond hate, I thought he had his best game for us for a while.

Midfield absolutely immense though, JWP and Romeu both sensational.

Absolutely this. Redders played well I thought. The only thing he has to improve on is being more direct and taking on his man - a la doing what Ingsy did for Che's goal. 

Both Prowsey (topped it with a great goal) and Romeu were immense! :)

A great team performance, we totally dominated Everton. I predicted we would win 2-0. Up to 5th too! :)

Edited by davefizzy14

4 minutes ago, stknowle said:

no mate, if challenges like that are reds then the game has..................like...............................gone.

Does it have to have caused serious injury and have the player stretchered off to justify it? Digne had one tackle through the back, K W-P did well to keep on his feet and carry on, so Digne thought I'll stop him properly this time, which is what he did.

• Like 3

My honest opinion could see a yellow for that challenge, but at the same time the previous challenge was also a yellow just before so in combo and the fact he just seemed determined to bring him down regardless of the ball it all seemed very cynical and was dangerous even if was probably accidental. 

Best start since Koeman, which is a good omen.

Also saw on the BBC that JWP has now scored 13 goals in 60 something games under Ralph, compared to 10 in like 172 before that, shows the impact a good manager can have on a player, he has made all our players better I think. 

If we can avoid lengthy injuries to key players then potential for a genuinely exciting season.  Top 6 might be too far but you never know with the way things have started, plenty of the challengers for those spots have dropped a lot of points already that the amount of points to get in there could be lower than usual. 

No wonder the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. are trying to take more power, all their advantages and financial muscle but the likes of us, Leeds, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Villa etc. are taking points of them and knocking on the closed shop they want to have.  Leicester and Wolves have already been threatening to get in there the last two seasons. 

This Project Big Picture and Euro Super League I don't think is any coincidence when you look at the unpredictable start to the season. 

• Like 2

Anyone who has played the game at any level knows that you don't make contact of any sort in that situation 'by accident'.

Studding like that in the VAR era that will and should always be red.

A manager blaming it on a previous game is as bonkers as any conspiracy that arch distraction artists Ferguson or Mourinho have ever conjured up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Anyone who has played the game at any level knows that you don't make contact of any sort in that situation 'by accident'.

Studding like that in the VAR era that will and should always be red.

Like this one?

I seem to recall some outrage on here when the pundits said it was a red.

95FA7580-9AE2-48C2-8898-034071514D9D.jpeg

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Like this one?

As you say, the pundits said it was a red. So why are loads of them saying Digne’s wasn’t, when it was much, much worse? (not to say Romeu’s wasn’t a red, but this was far worse)

14 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

My honest opinion could see a yellow for that challenge, but at the same time the previous challenge was also a yellow just before so in combo and the fact he just seemed determined to bring him down regardless of the ball it all seemed very cynical and was dangerous even if was probably accidental. 

Best start since Koeman, which is a good omen.

Also saw on the BBC that JWP has now scored 13 goals in 60 something games under Ralph, compared to 10 in like 172 before that, shows the impact a good manager can have on a player, he has made all our players better I think. 

If we can avoid lengthy injuries to key players then potential for a genuinely exciting season.  Top 6 might be too far but you never know with the way things have started, plenty of the challengers for those spots have dropped a lot of points already that the amount of points to get in there could be lower than usual. 

No wonder the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. are trying to take more power, all their advantages and financial muscle but the likes of us, Leeds, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Villa etc. are taking points of them and knocking on the closed shop they want to have.  Leicester and Wolves have already been threatening to get in there the last two seasons. 

This Project Big Picture and Euro Super League I don't think is any coincidence when you look at the unpredictable start to the season. 

Big clubs already moaning about players out, having two games a week every week due to Europe plus 6 international games in October/ November adding extra minutes for "elite" players. 

Could be a good leveller this season, stretching their resources and hopefully a much tighter division. 

One thing I've missed last few seasons is enjoyment from small clubs taking points off the big 6, due to our relegation battles it's been a case of supporting the big teams in our interest. Will be nice if we can stay clear of trouble to once again cheer on the underdog. 

• Like 1

I’m loving watching the confidence of our players to pass the ball quickly and often in tight situations.  Even when in our own half they are looking to play out of trouble. It’s obviously coached and pushed by Ralph. We may have deficiencies but we’re a decent side to watch, and it all shows a side brimming with confidence in themselves.

Edited by The Kraken

45 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

Preferably Leicester, as it would be nice to be above the Arse IMO. And then we await the results of other teams who could potentially go above us.

Preferably the Arse - on the anniversary of 'that' result it would be karma to be above Leicester.

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

As you say, the pundits said it was a red. So why are loads of them saying Digne’s wasn’t, when it was much, much worse? (not to say Romeu’s wasn’t a red, but this was far worse)

Agreed, SkySports did a special video highlighting how bad a challenge it was (Romeu's on Greenwood) and how deserving of a red card it is, similar challenge today from Digne. https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12028219/campbell-romeu-challenge-a-bad-one

Not sure why intent even comes into it, unless you're looking to break up the play or waste time or are a complete arsehole then surely most fouls are unintentional. Fouls are mistimed/misplaced tackles, which this was, it was from behind and and he's gone in hard above the ankle.

Think the commentator said something along the lines of 'it looks worse than it was'. It didn't. It looked as bad as it was. It was fortuitous that KWP wasn't injured.

Ancelotti's said he'll appeal. Good luck.

Delighted with that result, a very comfortable win against the team top of the league, and at home too!

I thought Vest, Romeu, JWP, Adams were outstanding; Bednarek, KWP, Bertrand and Ings were very good too. Armstrong didn't look 100%, Redmond did a good job bringing the ball forward from midfield but his end product was poor, needs someone challenging for his place.

I will let the 'taters off the many (many, many...) 0-9 mentions today as it was a year ago exactly, but hopefully they can let it drop now? It was a freak result, happened over a year ago, and we're fifth (likely seventh by the time we next play).

Everton were poor, very ordinary albeit without their best player. Vestergaard did a fantastic job of man-marking DCL, Rodriguez was by far and away the worst James on the pitch, and the petulant hacking in the second half is not going to win them any neutral fans. Bernard should have got two yellows just before Digne got himself sent off (how is anyone saying that's accidental/not a red, by the way? No chance of getting the ball, holding his hands up in innocence BEFORE standing on KWP's calf).

Poor losers.

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Like this one?

I can’t remember but I think this pic in real time wasn’t so bad? And that is why it wasn’t given a red. 
It looked like Romeu had grazed him but I agree that still shot makes it look bad

EDIT: I have seen it through link above- we did get away with one there 

Edited by nta786

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I'm getting quite fond of this Hasenhüttl chap. JWP & OR looked a superb combination today, they have developed a fantastic partnership and find each other time and time again instinctively. The win didn't surprise me, we are making solid progress and dominating midfield against most teams where games are won or loss. Nobody played poorly today but Redmond was never MotM. A good win against Villa next week and we'll start looking like we belong in the top six.

One observation, Armstrong looked ill all match and should not in my opinion have been playing. He ran his socks off as usual but he didn't look completely clear of C19. Surprised the medics allowed him to play.

Romeu has been the stand out player for Saints this season. We are very lucky to have him.

Totally agree but how long will it take for the vultures to start circling with the tempting deals?

Edited by Jeremy

2 hours ago, musesaint said:

Lineker needs to have a word with himself about his red card comments. 

He doubtless thinks that being as overpaid and overrated as he is, his word is Godlike. If the BBC got rid of him and replaced him with someone on 20% of his salary BBC football would be better off IMHO. He’s been around far too long when other younger pundits are far more balanced and much more objective. 

This,  all day long.  His arrogance, not only in football terms, but also generally as a BBC employee is staggering. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

If I have to hear many more commentators going on about that 0-9 score line, I will plead severe provocation when I appear in court. Let it drop for pity's sake. I was very proud to be a Saints fan today. 

It's now over a year since that important debacle, and it's old news now. We move on and leave the 'taters behind.

22 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That wasn’t a challenge. It was an assault.

Just watched the highlights. Could have been accidental but it was such a bad "accident" it didn't matter. You've got to punish players who go after feet and ankles regardless.

Edited by Jeremy

I said in the build up thread that for all Rodriguez's class on the ball he is poor off it and that Bertrand could capitalise...and he did.

RB is a wily player, knows how to win a cheap foul, knows when to make cheap fouls and often has his best games against the best players.

Wasn't necesarily MoTM today but he totally nulifed their main creative force and did damage at the other end.

You love to see it.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1