• Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Walcott
    • Ings
    • Adams
    • Stephens
    • Diallo
    • Long

Pretty poor refereeing as well, may have my saints glasses on but that offside was level but why the red lines kept moving towards the goal were bizarre, penalty on JG was so soft wasn't an angle to c if diallo actually caught him, leading up to 3rd romeu was fouled on halfway ref put whistle to his mouth to blow then carried play on. Also with 3rd  ball was on halfway line at 6.12 into stoppage so why was final whistle not blown instead allowing play to carry on when no stoppages happened in stoppage time, good win but weird downer on the result

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Feels weird to be deflated after a win. We were fantastic up until 60 minutes at which point it started going all wrong. 

Hope the injuries aren't too bad. Bertrand had his hamstring iced up which isn't a good sign. 

Looks like we'll be without Bertrand and Ings for a bit, Bednarek might have to sit out next week with a head injury as well, three of our best players no wonder team fell apart a bit  , plus knock on effect changing the shape of the team with ward prowse coming out of the midfield to left back. 

Still a brilliant result, just hope we can take the lead next Friday and we can all take a quick screenshot showing us top of the league albeit briefly. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh of all our striking options I'd go with Walcott. 

Not sure you can read much into those late goals, gifted pen from a dive, which is just bad refereeing, last goal took a deflection as well and the enforced changes upsetting the balance of the team.

To be fair on Stephens he is coming cold into a game, having not played for a while and then the settled defensive mid in front of him gets changed as well. 

We also should have been 5 up anyway and they should have been down to 10. 

For 60 minutes they really had no sniff and we dominated, the injuries caused the main issues and some refereeing helped them along as well. 

The worry is the injuries, hopefully a precaution to take all 3 off. 

Brilliantly summarised and matches my view on the game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Pretty poor refereeing as well, may have my saints glasses on but that offside was level but why the red lines kept moving towards the goal were bizarre, penalty on JG was so soft wasn't an angle to c if diallo actually caught him, leading up to 3rd romeu was fouled on halfway ref put whistle to his mouth to blow then carried play on. Also with 3rd  ball was on halfway line at 6.12 into stoppage so why was final whistle not blown instead allowing play to carry on when no stoppages happened in stoppage time, good win but weird downer on the result

Yep. Saw same as you.

1) Lines showed Adams on and then they moved it level with his wrist. Did he even touch it? Someone at HT said he was interfering!?!

2) Embellishment by JG

3) Romeu fouled.

19 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Thirty seconds added on for their 2nd goal malarkey - ref wasn’t a select group one so he’s going to make sure he betters his chances of making that step up with a decent assessment - certainly showed he wasn’t grade one ref.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What about them?

They beat some hapless losers 9-0 and after that, those losers never ever won again falling 10 leagues in the process and are now serving chips in a motorway rest stop somewhere outside of Basingstoke...

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Looked to me that diallo pulled his leg out of the challenge but I assume there must have been some sort of contact even if it was minimal.

TV didn't show many angles. I assume VAR had a few more.

4 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

It was awarded for the quality of Grealish's dive. The ref was mighty impressed by it. As I said, as good as the one from Salah yesterday.

TBH, good player though he is, 80% of Grealish’s reputation is built on his ability to cheat fouls and penalties...plus his hairband of course. 

1 minute ago, Wes Tender said:

What with England winning the 6 Nations Cup, and the Skates losing at home, it hasn't been a bad weekend for sports overall.

Plus Hugh Carthy, from Preston, has just won up the Angliru in the Vuelta e Espana. Just shows what training in the Trough of Bowland can do for you. 😊

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

As much as it's the result that counts and it was a great win, it should have been game over at 4-0 the manner in which we let the foot off the pedal is worrying

Not really that worrying in the context of the injuries. If we hadn't sustained those we would not have conceded 3 imho. The injuries are in and of themselves the most worrying aspect of today.

9 minutes ago, jemanson said:

I drove myself home after snapping an ACL playing 5-a-side ... Didn't have much choice as the rest of my team had already gone home.

Danny definitely hasn't snapped his ACL (not ITK but very confident on this), he did have a choice and almost certainly didn't drive himself home anyway. Should be fine after the international break.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Danny definitely hasn't snapped his ACL (not ITK but very confident on this), he did have a choice and almost certainly didn't drive himself home anyway. Should be fine after the international break.

I, for one, am loving your positivity. 👍

However Im a little bit more nervous, especially with Dannys reaction to it. Its gonna be a long 24 hours til we find out.

Edited by Hawkswood

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Nah, that was very bad and you knew from the outset. He was stretchered off as well if i remember correctly.

Agreed. Please stop scaremongering will you Mitch01. We have enough to worry about what with going into lockdown and all that. 

The injuries certainly helped Villa back into that game.  We seemed to want to protect what we had. The four goals that we scored were superb......no arguing and anybody that hasn’t seen them will enjoy MOTD. I would have liked a longer look at that VAR decision for our “offside” goal as the lines just didn’t look right! Grealish went in with a high foot the same as Diallo and the ref, who I thought had a poor game, bought it.... The third for them stemmed from what I thought was a foul where the ref looked like he was going to give us free kick and then played Villa on........ a strange one but that seemed to sum him up.  There were a few tackles that he could have carded on the Villa side and then as we know the players play differently. On that note well done to JWP as he got an early yellow but he just managed himself superbly. Watching Danny go down it appears that he caught his studs in the pitch and sort of sat down on his foot which stretched the knee.......an anxious wait I fear. 

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

We won, we're 3rd.

Enjoy it.

😊

Yes. And let's also celebrate that despite only having four goals on target (according to the official stats) 100% were goals! When's the last time that happened?   😀😀😀😀

1 minute ago, Backrow91 said:

The injuries certainly helped Villa back into that game.  We seemed to want to protect what we had. The four goals that we scored were superb......no arguing and anybody that hasn’t seen them will enjoy MOTD. I would have liked a longer look at that VAR decision for our “offside” goal as the lines just didn’t look right! Grealish went in with a high foot the same as Diallo and the ref, who I thought had a poor game, bought it.... The third for them stemmed from what I thought was a foul where the ref looked like he was going to give us free kick and then played Villa on........ a strange one but that seemed to sum him up.  There were a few tackles that he could have carded on the Villa side and then as we know the players play differently. On that note well done to JWP as he got an early yellow but he just managed himself superbly. Watching Danny go down it appears that he caught his studs in the pitch and sort of sat down on his foot which stretched the knee.......an anxious wait I fear. 

I do think we took our foot off in the 2nd half, we didn't manage it enough full stop. But I still think the score line is an unfair reflection of the actual game. 4-1 was probably fair, the last 2 goals villa scored were because we were a little bit disjointed due to the injuries - like you said. But I don't think we had enough control full stop in that 2nd half, certainly not on the right hand side - that was a real concern for me. KWP had an absolute disaster of a game, that's who they targeted throughout the 2nd half, but he had no help from anyone either.

It's a weird feeling though, good win, 3rd in the league...13 points after 7 games...but like others have said, there's a sour feeling all over it - mainly due to the injuries I think. Bad ones to Ings or Ryan and we may need to re-asses our season targets.

2 minutes ago, eelpie said:

Yes. And let's also celebrate that despite only having four goals on target (according to the official stats) 100% were goals! When's the last time that happened?   😀😀😀😀

Yes but we haven’t scored any goals off target all season. A worrying stat IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eelpie said:

I simply cannot recall the last time we had a goal on target in a game that wasn't a 100% goal let alone 4. Get In!!!!

On the up side, 3 points for an excellent away win and I still got 15 points for Grealish and  7 and 5 for the excellent Vestergaard and Adams respectively in my fantasy league team. We are 3rd in the league after losing the 1st two games.....let's get some perspective people

10 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

Perhaps if we are awarded half a goal for hitting the woodwork then a 4 1/2 to 3 win would look a little better? 

It's significantly more difficult to hit the woodwork ('woodwork' lol when was the last time a top flight match was played with goals made out of wood?) than it is to score a traditional goal so maybe actual goals (in the traditional sense of a goal) shouldn't be goals anymore and only shots that hit the 'woodwork' should be regarded as goals.?

Edited by stknowle