Saints vs Newcastle - Build Up

SuperSAINT

35 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

I now believe Shane Long should play up top with Adams. If he doesn't start this game why did we extend his contract? I do not want to se Redmond up top. 

I think a front two of Adams and Long, if we play to take advantage of their work rate, could be effective.  Should win plenty of free kicks near the area.

Long is useless as a goal scorer, we need somebody more reliable in there and it has to be Theo Walcott. Our style is to start fast, press high and score early goals and so putting pressure on the oppo's before we start to tire. Long should come on at 70 minutes to stretch them in the final third when we have retreated into a more defensive frame of mind.

We must score early and use people who know where the net is and how to hit it. Long seems unable to hit a barn door with a banjo these days.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
Apple spell check disaster

25 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Long is useless as a goal scorer, we need somebody more reliable in there and it has to be Theo Walcott. Our style is to start fast, press high and score early goals and so putting pressure on the oppo's before we start to tire. Long should come on at 70 minutes to stretch them in the final third when we have retreated into a more defensive frame of mind.

We must score early and use people who know where the net is and how to hit it. Long seems unable to hit a barn door with a banjo these days.

Shane Long has Scored 0 goals this season in 30 minutes of play. Theo Walcott has scored 0 goals this season in 180 minutes played. They both scored 2 goals last season and 5 the year before. No big differens in goals scored the last 5-6 years with a top of 10.

Why would you hit a barn door with a banjo? Do you throw it, kick it och just slam it into the door with your hand? Can se the relevance to your football ability if you are supposed to kick it, but throwing it or slamming it seems useless from a footballing perspective.  I'm not a professional footballer though so what do i know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree we should be giving Theo the chance to impress up top with Adams for this one. He's not exactly started with a bang, but did assist Jannick and won one of Prowsey's free kicks against Villa. I'm intrigued to see how he would do further forward in our system and I don't think Long or Obafemi have shown enough so far this season to justify selection. Either would be a good option against tiring legs though later on.

I fancy us to get a draw in this one. Would have been very confident of a win given our current form if we hadn't run into all these injuries. As many have said already, the LB position is a particular area of concern. Especially if our back up Vokins isn't available either. Wilson and ASM will definitely cause us problems. Hopefully they continue with a negative tactical approach and so they don't get too much of the ball.

It would also be nice to hear from Ralph after this game to confirm all went as planned with the elective surgery on Ings. If it ended up being just 4 weeks that would be a massive let off. Sounds more likely to be 6 weeks plus time to get back up to speed, which could mean a January return? 

1 hour ago, kjurwi said:

Shane Long has Scored 0 goals this season in 30 minutes of play. Theo Walcott has scored 0 goals this season in 180 minutes played. They both scored 2 goals last season and 5 the year before. No big differens in goals scored the last 5-6 years with a top of 10.

Difference is Theo hasn't been playing up front, but imo that is where he is most effective.

I like Long, but he really should be last resort. 

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

It really wouldn’t surprise me to see N’Lundulu up top. Ralph always used to love chucking a kid in and seeing what he can do. Maybe he’d be concerned about the message it would send to not play a striker to replace a striker. Either way, haven’t been excited about a Saints game like this for a whole. 1-0 defeat incoming I guess!

If he does that, although most will think I've lost my marbles (quite possible), I'd play Redmond at LB.

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

If he does that, although most will think I've lost my marbles (quite possible), I'd play Redmond at LB.

Not as crazy as it sounds given our full backs tend to play quite high up the pitch, also i think Redmond played there a few times for Norwich. If Bertrand and Vokins are both out we dont really have many options.

8 minutes ago, igsey said:

I think this game will hinge on Adams' finishing. Too many chances he's wasted for me to keep generously calling him "unlucky". 

Agree it will all be down to Adams 🤦‍♂️ he has missed guilt edged chance after chance after chance this season 

Walker-peters at left back means we lose a lot of width that side (although I can see him slotting one into the net after making a run inside redmond), Stephens at rightback is a nightmare. He needs to just sit back and not go forward and that means we lose even more width. 

A Friday night home match. I am sure that the commentator will tell us what happened the last time we played at home on a Friday night.

I go for 5 mins 36 secs in the 9 nil sweepstake - after it will have been mentioned in the pre kick off discussion.

Just now, Tamesaint said:

A Friday night home match. I am sure that the commentator will tell us what happened the last time we played at home on a Friday night.

I go for 5 mins 36 secs in the 9 nil sweepstake - after it will have been mentioned in the pre kick off discussion.

I name that tune in......less than 1 minute !

1 minute ago, BallBoy said:

I always worry. Can't get out of the habit.

That team sheet looks awfully unbalanced to me, whatever way you put it together.  

I'm always of the opinion that if someone is good enough to be on the bench if needed then they're good enough to fill in for the first choice in their position. I'd be much more confident if Ramsay were starting at right back.