Saints vs Newcastle - Build Up

SuperSAINT

Friday night home game, can’t remember the last time we had one of those*. Obviously the injuries are the worry here. I’m guessing it’ll be Vokins, Jack and Redmond in for the three we’ve lost, with Theo going up top. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.

*I’m being sarcastic, you don’t have to tell me.

I like Vokins, I thought he came in well last year (esp. against Brighton at home) and didn't look out of his depth. I'd have no issues giving him a game there, I'm fully expecting that to be the case.

I'd agree with Redmond for Ings a well, thus putting Walcott through the middle. Maybe playing just off of Adams.

Walcott is probably the 'closest' replacement we have for Ings.

Chances of Bednarek? I guess if it's concussion he won't be. I'd rather throw Salisu in than have to witness another Stephens 45 mins, he was awful today.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Given how much cotton wool we've had to wrap Salisu in so far, I'd be hugely surprised if we through him in at the deep end

I agree, but if Bednarek out I'd expect to see him on the bench at least. In fact, I suspect he'll play in tomorrow's match at Eastleigh...my guess is that it's been arranged to give him some game time. 

Just now, madruss said:

We'll go top if we win this! Any stattos know when we were last top of the league? 

Top of any league would be the Championship promotion season.

For top flight, it was before the Premier League era. Might have hit top in 1984 when we finished 2nd maybe?

A win of any kind, however scrappy or lucky, just a win , for a fan base such as ours to look at the league table and see us in top spot would be amazing. We know it would be short lived and most likely we'll still finish the season 12th, but for those few hours whilst we were at the summit we could all revel in it. 

On that basis of course, we will not win this football match. 

Bertrand and Ings will be out, big miss, Bednarek probably as well, Saint-maximin will have fun running at us, Callum Wilson dangerous. 

Newcastle are a horrible team to play against, they'll sit deep and hit us on the break , we'll need the first goal to get anything.  It was the last game we got to go to before Lockdown 1 and I can see a very similar game again. 

Hate Friday night home games, the obvious thrashing and the Bournemouth defeat are the two i can think of. A draw would be a good result. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Given how much cotton wool we've had to wrap Salisu in so far, I'd be hugely surprised if we threw him in at the deep end

What wouldn't count as the "deep end"? Are we waiting until January in the hope that we draw a non league team at home in the FA Cup?

Newcastle have no attacking intent at all. They set up for nil-nils, hoping for set pieces or the very occasional counter attack. Honestly, they're one of the worst teams in the league to watch.

If he's fit, Salisu should be relishing a relatively comfortable introduction to the league.

We're probably going to huff and puff and create nothing and lose 0-1 to a late goal anyway, so might as well get him up and running.

4 hours ago, madruss said:

We'll go top if we win this! Any stattos know when we were last top of the league? 

I remember travelling up from Yeovilton on a winter night in February 1980? with the prospect of going top if we beat Brighton. We lost 2-0 including a goal from Steve Foster wearing his white bandana. It didn’t help that Foster was born in Portsmouth.....

4 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I remember travelling up from Yeovilton on a winter night in February 1981? with the prospect of going top if we beat Brighton. We lost 2-0 including a goal from Steve Foster wearing his white bandana. It didn’t help that Foster was born in Portsmouth.....

14 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

1988-89 season, I believe.

Correct. We won our first 4 games to briefly go top.

We then went on a shocking run of 23 games without a win later in the season, which was broken by a last minute penalty from new signing Neil Ruddock against Newcastle (who subsequently went down). 

It won't be an easy game on Friday. I remember Steve Bruce lavishing us with praise a few years ago when he was manager at Hull. Obviously a lot has changed since then, but he will make sure his Newcastle team show us appropriate respect and they won't make it easy for us. I'm expecting a performance from them similar to Palace on the opening day. They will defend deep and compact and try to use the pace of Saint Maximin to hit us on the break. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint

If my memory serves me correctly Newcastle was the last home game we played at SMS in front of our raucous support.

Djneppo got sent off and McCarthy saved a penalty only for Valery to have an aberration near the end which prevented us from hanging on for a creditable 0-0 draw.

3 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

If my memory serves me correctly Newcastle was the last home game we played at SMS in front of our raucous support.

Djneppo got sent off and McCarthy saved a penalty only for Valery to have an aberration near the end which prevented us from hanging on for a creditable 0-0 draw.

Yep, that's the one! Quite a miserable result all told. Think it was Saint Maximan who scored, he likes a long range hit.

51 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Correct. We won our first 4 games to briefly go top.

We then went on a shocking run of 23 games without a win later in the season, which was broken by a last minute penalty from new signing Neil Ruddock against Newcastle (who subsequently went down). 

I remember being at that game in a period when it was difficult to be a Saints fan, especially if you were going to games. If I remember it correctly, Rod Wallace was brought down needlessly by the goalkeeper when he was well on the way to racing out of the area at full speed. Neil Ruddock then blasted in the penalty and we managed to save the season from there.

Even if Ingsy ok for Friday (don't think so personally) don't risk him and rest him over international break that way he gets a valuable 3 week recovery period. Play Walcott with Adams and recall Redmond or even Djenepo. Can't see Bertrand being risked either if he has hamstring issue. I would prefer vokins at LB and keep KWP at RB rather than bring in Valery who will get eaten alive by ASM. 

11 minutes ago, eelpie said:

Has anyone seen Salisu in action in the B Team?

He hasn't played yet. We have a game at Eastleigh today though. I'd hazard a guess that he'll play, and that the game was arranged for him to get game time. 

1 hour ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

I remember being at that game in a period when it was difficult to be a Saints fan, especially if you were going to games. If I remember it correctly, Rod Wallace was brought down needlessly by the goalkeeper when he was well on the way to racing out of the area at full speed. Neil Ruddock then blasted in the penalty and we managed to save the season from there.

Yep. Last minute too.

The long run without winning was down to Chris Nichol who had won the manager of the month award and declared that he’d open it after the next win...

3 hours ago, igsey said:

Vestergaard can do to Wilson what he did to Calvert-Lewin - mark him out of the game completely. Saint-Maximin is the bigger threat down the left.

Isn't the issue that DCL is primarily a target man/poacher, whereas Wilson is an off the shoulder, run in behind type.  The latter is more successful against JV.

I suspect Danny Ings will be on the bench for this one at best, regardless how "good" the scan results were/are.

McCarthy

KWP  Bednarek Vestergaard* Bertrand* 

Armstrong JWP Romeu Redmond

Walcott Adams.

Armstrong briefed to help KWP out as much as possible.

*No other alternatives in form/experience - JV due to the pace threat of Wilson

Edited by markr27

6 hours ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

Worst game I've ever seen live. My old man and I were about to jack it in and make an early exit when Saints fluked a penalty out of nowhere.

Still no idea how Ruddock ended up on penalty taking duty. Not sure he ever took another one in his career.

57 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Really weird and frustrating that Stephens has reverted to his previous form. He was so reliable for most of last season.

Based on half a game, highly debatable whether he was at all culpable for any of the 3 goals, although he should be awarded the 3rd as an own goal, not much he could actually have done about it.

1 hour ago, egg said:

700 I think. Its a Hampshire cup game rather than a friendly 

Kick off at 7pm, can watch live on Eastleighs website for a bargain £7.99, it is a cup semi final so a proper game. 

Not seen the line up confirmed yet. 

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Worst game I've ever seen live. My old man and I were about to jack it in and make an early exit when Saints fluked a penalty out of nowhere.

Still no idea how Ruddock ended up on penalty taking duty. Not sure he ever took another one in his career.

Was also at that game and remember it well.

I think Ruddock took it as we’d missed a couple in previous games (can’t remember who missed them though). He did go on to take our next few pens but also missed a couple.

31 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Was also at that game and remember it well.

I think Ruddock took it as we’d missed a couple in previous games (can’t remember who missed them though). He did go on to take our next few pens but also missed a couple.

One of my, if not my number one, favourite moment on the Milton. It ended 18 games I think with out a win and nailed on relegation if we didn't win. Mike Hooper was the keeper iirc ... 89th minute ruddock steps up and smashes home then stands on the boards. I have tried so often to find footage of this ... my friends and I went from the back of the Milton to the front on a wave (crush) of celebration with out are feet touching the floor. We were about 16 and one of my mates still swears that I saved his life as he was wrapped around a bar. (Left side for the record) Great moment 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Even if Ingsy ok for Friday (don't think so personally) don't risk him and rest him over international break that way he gets a valuable 3 week recovery period. Play Walcott with Adams and recall Redmond or even Djenepo. Can't see Bertrand being risked either if he has hamstring issue. I would prefer vokins at LB and keep KWP at RB rather than bring in Valery who will get eaten alive by ASM. 

I agree with this. I worry that when England plays NZ in a friendly the real loser will be the clubs with guys playing for England. The clubs should disallow their players from playing these futile games. It will take just one agricultural hack from behind by a nobody NZer who is either just useless, with with an inflated ego or with a chip on his shoulder to do some real damage.

With no crowd  (would only get a really small one anyway) call it off.

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Really weird and frustrating that Stephens has reverted to his previous form. He was so reliable for most of last season.

Maybe a little rusty, but I'd have to say that his best form for us was in the 'restart' games, as opposed to over the entire course of the season. It looks as if that was nothing more than a purple patch really. if you look at his influence on our team over a consistent period (a few years) then we concede lots of goals when he's in the side, it's just a general theme.

He's improved, don't get me wrong, but he's still not good enough to be a starter for a team with aspirations to be in the top 10.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

I agree with this. I worry that when England plays NZ in a friendly the real loser will be the clubs with guys playing for England. The clubs should disallow their players from playing these futile games. It will take just one agricultural hack from behind by a nobody NZer who is either just useless, with with an inflated ego or with a chip on his shoulder to do some real damage.

With no crowd  (would only get a really small one anyway) call it off.

England arnt playing New Zealand now they're playing Rep Ireland 

People need to keep the faith, we are playing very well indeed with a high degree of automatism. The Ward Prowse - Romeu midfield partnership has dominated most games and is intact for this game. If Ings has to sit this one out it may not be such a big miss as most on here seem to fear, goals are coming from all parts of the team and an Adams & Walcott strike force will frighten their defence.

We will miss Bertie's authority and craft on the left so Redmond will need to stay focused and step up but JWP should be able to provide the service he needs leaving Vokins to concentrate on his defensive duties. With luck Bednarek will start, the thought of Stevens sows a seed of doubt in my mind as he didn't exactly cover himself in glory on Sunday and didn't cover KWP at all which surely is one of the duties of the RCB in our set-up.

It seems to me that it would be unlucky in the extreme for us to lose all three of the injured trio. It might happen but chances are one of them at least will be OK for Friday. Fingers crossed that Bednarek makes it as arguably his absence could be the worst loss of the three.

My forecast for last Sunday was 4-0 win for Saints (well it was at one stage until we dozed off) so I am staying optimistic for a 2-0 win on Friday.