Saints vs Newcastle - Build Up

SuperSAINT

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Surely we have an actual left back at the club who would be better than playing someone out of position and then forcing other changes as a result 

Here's the list of B-Team defenders.... not sure who out of these plays left back though? One for @LeG to answer maybe?

image.thumb.png.6a8a1d11c557b2a8ba70988e9ef310e6.png

Edited by trousers

Ideally change the least amount of players, especially as RH is often referring to automatisms and the partnerships between players.

In that sense, is it better to play Valery or Stephens, or even Salisu at LB, rather than moving KWP out of the position where he has played well and is used to playing with Armstrong?

12 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Surely best to leave KWP where he is and play someone out of position at LB? Better than playing KWP at LB and bringing Valery in at RB, weakening both flanks. 

Valery at home to Newcastle... 🤢

Saint Maximin is going to have fun running at whoever is played out of position, might suit us to play deeper with extra defensive player to cover and try to hit them on the break. Wilson has pace as well so no high line. 

19 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Vokins in the training pics, unless the gallery was taken just before ralph s press conference in which case he got injured during the session?

Ralph's press conference was this morning. I think the training session was in the afternoon. Bednarek, Diallo and Vokins are all in the training pictures. So could be good news. Mind games from Ralph perhaps ;)

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Here's the list of B-Team defenders.... not sure who out of these plays left back though? One for @LeG to answer maybe?

image.thumb.png.6a8a1d11c557b2a8ba70988e9ef310e6.png

Kameron Ledwidge was spoken of as a star of the future at one time. Anyone seen him play? https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/oct/03/next-generation-2017-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

FFS... How long does a professional footballer need to "build up his fitness"?

And why do the club continue to treat fans like mugs? Just tell us what's wrong with Salisu FFS, rather than glibly tell us week in week out that he's "not quite ready".

Aaaaand.... Relax 

Screenshot_20201104-231346.png

Edited by trousers

It's all very bizarre trousers.

What are the chances of 'Salisu joins x on loan until end of the season' in January?

The club can stop all this speculation if they wanted to by just saying it how it is. If he arrived with a bad injury, tell us. Job done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

And why do the club continue to treat fans like mugs? Just tell us what's wrong with Salisu FFS, rather than tell us week in week out that he's "not quite ready".

Aaaaand.... Relax 

Can take time. Can you remind us of your experience in respect of building up professional footballers fitness. Yeah thought not. 

4 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Can take time. Can you remind us of your experience in respect of building up professional footballers fitness. Yeah thought not. 

My experience is zero, hence my reliance on the club being transparent and honest with fans rather than the current obfuscation. Hope that helps, my luvvur.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

My experience is zero, hence my reliance on the club being transparent and honest with fans rather than the current obfuscation. Hope that helps, my luvvur.

Cheers mate..so you’ve padded along you’re mums box room..in your semen stained boxer shorts..sat down in your little gamer chair..& typed something that you literally have no knowledge of. Brilliant. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Cheers mate..so you’ve padded along you’re mums box room..in your semen stained boxer shorts..sat down in your little gamer chair..& typed something that you literally have no knowledge of. Brilliant. 

My pleasure (very moist in fact)

*It's 'your' btw

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wadesmith said:

What an odd, OTT reply 😅 

Trousers is simply voicing a question we all have. Why do the club insist on being so coy about something that if they were just honest about, fans would accept? Clearly Salisu had a relatively serious injury problem when he joined, hence why he's been unavailable for over 2 months. The insistence that he's "building fitness" is nonsense - he's been out longer than a usual preseason and hasn't even appeared for the B's.

At no point has trousers or anyone else claimed to be an expert on anything. Like all of us, he just wants a bit of honesty from the club. You have to admit it's all a bit weird?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It's all very bizarre trousers.

What are the chances of 'Salisu joins x on loan until end of the season' in January?

The club can stop all this speculation if they wanted to by just saying it how it is. If he arrived with a bad injury, tell us. Job done.

Perhaps “not match fit” is a euphemism for “a bit shit and not fitting into the system just yet”? Why would the club come clean about that?

2 hours ago, wadesmith said:

Bit weird. What ever floats your boat I suppose.

Trousers is right, the club should be more transparent with us but they won't. It must be something they don't want other clubs knowing about, they don't get anything out of hiding info from us. Unless they're worried of a fans backlash for buying a crocked player... not gonna happen.

7 hours ago, trousers said:

And why do the club continue to treat fans like mugs? Just tell us what's wrong with Salisu FFS, rather than glibly tell us week in week out that he's "not quite ready".

Aaaaand.... Relax 

We bought Jan Bednarek on 1 July 2017. He didn't play in a Premier League match until April 14 2018. 

20 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Surely we have an actual left back at the club who would be better than playing someone out of position and then forcing other changes as a result 

Jeremi Rodriguez - he's only 17 though and only just joined the club.

It's incredibly difficult as it seems all the potential backups are also injured (Vokins, Salisu, Diallo, Smallbone).  I would go something like this.  Valery a huge gamble though, not sure what the other alternatives are with current injury problems. Would rather keep JWP in midfield if possible, especially give Diallo and Smallbone out.  Only other option would be to put JWP RB, Armstrong into the middle and Djenepo/Redmond either side.  Very difficult though as we want to keep disruption to the minimum.

---------------------Mccarthy---------------------

Valery------Bednarek-------Vestergaard-------KWP

--------------Romeu---------JWP----------------

------Armstrong--------------------Redmond-----

--------------Adams--------Walcott--------------

7 minutes ago, Alanh said:

If Bednarek is available perhaps a back 3 with Valery and KWP as wing backs.

McCarthy

Valery - Bednarek - Stephens - Vestergaard - KWP

JWP - Romeu

Armstrong -Walcott

Adams

Why? All that does is drop Redmond for another CB and go back to a system which was dreadful for us last season. I’d take as few changes as possible to both men and formation. Walcott for Ings and either Stephens or Valery at LB.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Why? All that does is drop Redmond for another CB and go back to a system which was dreadful for us last season. I’d take as few changes as possible to both men and formation. Walcott for Ings and either Stephens or Valery at LB.

Just an idea.  Primarily to give more cover in the full back positions where Valery has performed better as a wing back and KWP is being asked to play on the 'wrong' side.

Redmond was used really well as a central player in Ralph's first season, where he won Player of the Year.

We obviously can't replace what Ings does, but we do have some options at least, and also sub options in those areas.

With Bertrand back after the Intl break and Ings hopefully by Xmas, its not too bad compared to what it may have been.

If my stats are correct (been a bit iffy of lately) then we haven't won 3 games on the bounce in the league since the last Koeman season. We possibly won't have a better chance than now so let's hope the non injured players can step up. 

I think it will be a draw. Newcastle will come with their awful brand of football and stifle us. For that reason I'd be tempted to play pacy players for this one, Adams, Walcott, Djenepo, Redmond with Long and Armstrong playing centrally with Romeu, JWP shifting to right back and KWP who had played left back for Spurs filling in that spot. Probably won't be though.

5 hours ago, TWar said:

Heard it suggested we could give Redmond a go up top. We could see:

McCarthy

Stephens Bednarek Vestergaard KWP

JWP Romeu

Armstrong Walcott/Djenepo

Adams Redmond

IMO, there is no chance we will play redmond up top over Walcott. This screams Adams and Walcott as a front 2 for me. And i'd fancy that to cause all kinds of problems to be honest. With Adams being a general bully and nusisance, redmond pulling players out wide, and Theo ready to run onto any through balls, i fancy him to be very dangerous.

Also, Redmond is the most wasteful player i've seen at Saints for a long long time. I know he can be great at times and he does well to get himself into the final ball positions.... but my god you'd bet on him to fluff the final product up 9 times out of 10!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wadesmith said:

18 hours ago, trousers said:

My pleasure (very moist in fact)

*It's 'your' btw

And "mum's".

24 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

IMO, there is no chance we will play redmond up top over Walcott. This screams Adams and Walcott as a front 2 for me. And i'd fancy that to cause all kinds of problems to be honest. With Adams being a general bully and nusisance, redmond pulling players out wide, and Theo ready to run onto any through balls, i fancy him to be very dangerous.

Also, Redmond is the most wasteful player i've seen at Saints for a long long time. I know he can be great at times and he does well to get himself into the final ball positions.... but my god you'd bet on him to fluff the final product up 9 times out of 10!!!

Walcott upfront surely, with Redmond back in.

There were some questionmarks over his defensive work, so that issue goes away too.

Looking forward to this game. I can't remember ever seeing us play on a Friday night before...... 😫

I think we will see just how much ings is the vital cog in our machine, not just in terms of goals but workrate and assists too.  I would like to think that the likes of Adams and Redmond can step up to the table but big boots to fill and with bednanerek also missing our defence will be fragile, that said Newcastle can be fragile too it just depends if we can raise our game minus ings  

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I think we will see just how much ings is the vital cog in our machine, not just in terms of goals but workrate and assists too.  I would like to think that the likes of Adams and Redmond can step up to the table but big boots to fill and with bednanerek also missing our defence will be fragile, that said Newcastle can be fragile too it just depends if we can raise our game minus ings  

Bednerek is fit isn’t he? 

On 02/11/2020 at 23:12, Professor said:

I remember watching Saints playing Newcastle in January 1970 when we both in Div One. It was the second leg of an Inter Cities Fairs Cup match, played at The Dell after a 0-0 draw in the first leg at Newcastle.   

Was anyone else at that strange Cup Final (1st leg) against Newcastle back then, "Texaco Cup" I think, we beat Rangers to reach the final?

38 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Was anyone else at that strange Cup Final (1st leg) against Newcastle back then, "Texaco Cup" I think, we beat Rangers to reach the final?

Did all the home games, the only away fans to turn up were 5,000 drunken sweaties. We beat Oldham to reach the final.

12 hours ago, Wilf said:

I was at the game against Rangers.  Never seen so many drunk Scotsmen in my life.  We won 2-0, with one of the goals being an own goal lobbed in from about 40 yards out

30 minutes ago, whelk said:

Sky telling Ralph we have never headed the PL.  He was surprised - shame they didn’t clarify that it is only since 1992

‘If’ we did go top this evening, anyone know if that would be the quickest ( 6 games) or only time a team has gone from bottom to top of the Premier League.....? We were bottom after getting beaten by Spurs...?

15 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Tough game esp with the injuries and Bruce is no mug. They’ll sit back and try to hit us on the break. Got to watch when playing a high line as we have been found out doing that already this season.

But that's mainly because we stop pressing in midfield. It's fine as long as we press them because they dont have time to pick the pass.

Tough game cus of our injuries. Just hope we don't revert back to our home form of yester year whereby we huff and puff without really looking like scoring before getting hit on counter.  Ingsy and Bertrand are such key players that any team would miss them but just hope we are fluid enough now in how Ralph wants us to play and that we will have enough armoury to hurt Newcastle. 

It really wouldn’t surprise me to see N’Lundulu up top. Ralph always used to love chucking a kid in and seeing what he can do. Maybe he’d be concerned about the message it would send to not play a striker to replace a striker. Either way, haven’t been excited about a Saints game like this for a whole. 1-0 defeat incoming I guess!