Arsenal 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Saint_clark

4 minutes ago, benjii said:

Their shout under the Bednarek challenge in the first half was as much of a pen as our second half shout.

We got what we deserved. We hardly created any real pressure on the goal all match. The one time Romeu decides not to foul someone going past him....

Still a decent enough performance. Ings is not playing at his max so let's hope he gets back to it soon.

Romeu was on a yellow.

Our game doesn’t really suit the slow possession based football.. we look much much better when hitting teams direct and fast without giving them time to set up.. we played a bit too much of this in the first half and the sending off made the game go even more this way.... thought some of Adams’s build up play tonight was superb though he’s getting good at holding the ball up and releasing players.. Theo was good again he drops into some nice pockets and can then beat players on the turn which can open up space, nice finish also..

ings has looked a bit off the pace the last couple of games be good to get him back to his normal sharpness.

Take it. We lost the chance to win with a 15-20 minute period either side of half time when we lost our way. 

Too slow and unimaginative with our passing after the red card. Parking the bus is the only tactic Arteta is good at - our lack of creativity was laid bare.

A point's okay, though. Onwards.

Disappointed not to win but still very satisfied to have got the draw. Imagine, going to Arsenal and being disappointed not to win.  Let's keep some perspective.  We're playing really well and can beat anyone but we won't beat everyone, every time. 

• Like 1

Draw was fair. We didn't really trouble them enough with 10 men. Thought they were well organised after the red card, I guess they have a fair bit of practice at it though.

Disappointing goal to concede. We had enough chances to bring Saka down but failed. 

Nice finish by Walcott, lovely weight of pass from Adams.

Walker Peters probably MOTM for me. Ings had a frustrating evening. Redmond looked most likely to score when he came on. 

• Like 1

Disappointed, obviously, but isn't it great that we're disappointed! We had our chances, Djenepo's cutback was good, for example. I can take being dissatisfied with only 3rd place. A vaccine or two and another trip into Europe seems a perfectly good fantasy to keep us all going through these shi**y times..

• Like 1

Would have taken that beforehand but very frustrating not to have won that. We are just lacking a bit of ruthlessness.

Not really sure why that wasn't a penalty at the end especially considering some of the soft ones that have been given this season. I felt it was a mistake taking Theo off as he was playing well and causing them problems, plus a very nice goal. Djenepo and Redmond look threatening but flatter to deceive most of the time and Armstrong is too careless in possession.

Romeu, JWP and KWP were all excellent. Looking at the bigger picture it's a good point but hard not to feel some disappointment, which is a measure of how far we've come.

We were fine, not quite at it after half-time again which unfortunately has become a pattern. 

We were definitely more threatening against eleven than ten, we only really opened them up once or twice after the red card.

Ings just looks a touch rusty but we know he’ll get there. 

Edited by Appy

I think this game shows that we are 6-10 position. We have to be on or close to on our game every week and having hot and cold players like Redmond, Armstrong, Walcott and Djenepo hurts us a bit. 

That's OK. We're fun to watch and doing really well. Would be nice to see us crack the top 6 but I think when the games come thick and fast we'll have to rotate a bit and be weakened as a result.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I was also confused as to why that penalty wasn't re-checked, but there we go.

As I said in the other post, I'd have taken a point all night long. I didn't see us winning tonight because I didn't see Arsenal losing 5 or whatever on the bounce at home, they've still got good players and I couldn't see them let that happen - and they didn't.

We didn't really go for their throats after 30 mins and we did sit back a bit, bit tippy tappy in the 2nd half - but they basically threw two banks of 4 in front of us, very compacted through the middle and our inverted winger idea wasn't really working.

We did get in behind them a couple of times, but we needed to do it more - that's how you get around that kind of 4-4 block.

Never mind, take the point and go. Shame the next one is against City, but we did them last year.

The penalty claim was checked and turned down.

Frustrating game, we do struggle to break teams down when they sit deep like that, always the fear we'll get hit on the break and concede so i get why we are cautious. 

Was a decent performance all in all, predicted 1-1 pre match on the basis we never win there in the league, some things never change with us. 

Ings doesn't look 100% to me yet, perhaps a bit rusty regaining match fitness. 

Very tight table , we're not far ahead of 10th , an Arsenal fan I work with offered me £10 bet earlier they would still finish above us, reluctant to accept as deep down I think he's right. 

Good result. Feels like a loss because Arsenal were there for the taking.  But it's a good result in the grand scheme of things.  Arsenal won't be this dross all season because Arteta won't last. They'll beat big teams if they bring in someone of quality (Allegri, for example). Let's keep picking up points.

Look where we were when denied a win away to Arse last season, and now look where we are. Disappointed not to take advantage of the extra man in the last half hour, but always difficult to break down teams that just sit in. Decent point and being the dominant team at their place shows how far we've come

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Very tight table , we're not far ahead of 10th , an Arsenal fan I work with offered me £10 bet earlier they would still finish above us, reluctant to accept as deep down I think he's right. 

Take it: money to chosen charity and winners all round..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeG said:

Bertrand and Ings have been rubbish lately. We all know why.

Think arsenal were going to win before the red card. We are a team that's learning fast and on an exciting journey. RH will have us finding ways to break teams down in training, that's for sure. It would have been nice to take advantage of an Arsenal side that is lacking confidence, but a point away from home vs a traditional big team is a good one. Need to beat a big team soon though...starting on saturday ;) 1 point closer to saftey hehe

Bullshit Bertrand has been steady as he always is and ings has had a month out don’t make out something is wrong when it ain’t 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Are you suggesting they're consciously not putting in 100% (due to not getting what they want out of contract renewals) or more of a subconscious thing?

Ings has just come back from knee surgery, probably that. 

• Like 1

Started well again and deserved lead at half time without creating much. They made tweaks and looked more dangerous - scoring and looking slightly more dangerous until the red. After that I think our automisns just don’t work against 10. We were pedestrian - but we actually often are - tempting players out of position then to play quick through the middle where there is space. Arsenal refused to move out of position leaving only space wide - that’s not really our game nor what they have been trained to do. In the end happy with a point - very hard to unlock a team who park the bus - look at City v West Brom.

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I still think if we are going to play Theo from the start then we need a decent striker off the bench to change it up a bit. Sack off long and get a pacy youngster. 

N'Lundulu may fit that bill. Has pace and a big physical presence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Are you suggesting they're consciously not putting in 100% (due to not getting what they want out of contract renewals) or more of a subconscious thing?

Ings deal is all but done a few minor sticking points but wage isn’t one of them. Unsurprisingly getting a decent pay rise. 

likely to include a release clause, make of that what you will (bare in mind what I said about signing a deal and moving in the summer.....)

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Bertrand and Ings have been rubbish lately. We all know why.

Think arsenal were going to win before the red card. We are a team that's learning fast and on an exciting journey. RH will have us finding ways to break teams down in training, that's for sure. It would have been nice to take advantage of an Arsenal side that is lacking confidence, but a point away from home vs a traditional big team is a good one. Need to beat a big team soon though...starting on saturday ;) 1 point closer to saftey hehe

To be fair, ings was never going to maintain his form from last year where he genuinely looked world class. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Ings deal is all but done a few minor sticking points but wage isn’t one of them. Unsurprisingly getting a decent pay rise. 

likely to include a release clause, make of that what you will (bare in mind what I said about signing a deal and moving in the summer.....)

Think the release clause was mentioned by David Ornstein (or The Telegraph).