Fulham vs Saints — Build-up & Match

SuperSAINT

5 hours ago, LGTL said:

Looks like they’ll be no Vestergaard, Ings or Redmond. 

Plus Romeu, that's the spine of our team and best players out. Fulham have bonus of red card rescinded.  

Not feeling at all confident, can see it being similar to the 3-2 defeat there a couple of seasons ago. Odds on Fulham win look tempting. 

Weather warning for high winds, won't be much protection of that coming in off the river, New stand still a construction site. Mitrovic to score. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LeG said:

Think this will be a comfortable win for us. I'm not usually this confident, but have started to shake the old saints mentality. Look at our away form, the organisation of the team, the press, the aggression, the talent in the team. This year we have won a lot of games that we would have bottled in previous seasons. Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle etc. These teams just can't cope with RHs tactics. The players are motivated to get back to winning ways. I have always liked Fulham and hope they stay up, but we should be a few levels above them. 

Entirely my thoughts too.

4 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Stephens before Salisu with Bednarek switching to left side, as was the case for most of the post lockdown period last season. Would be surprised if he throws Salisu straight in. 

In part 2 of the press conference he suggests the Fulham game is the time to see both Diallo and Salisu.

From 17:15

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

In part 2 of the press conference he suggests the Fulham game is the time to see both Diallo and Salisu.

From 17:15

Ralph also says (at 33m 38 secs): "I haven't decided now what I do or who plays in the moment" when talking about Stephens and Salisu as his two Vestergaard replacement options.

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Think this will be a comfortable win for us. I'm not usually this confident, but have started to shake the old saints mentality. Look at our away form, the organisation of the team, the press, the aggression, the talent in the team. This year we have won a lot of games that we would have bottled in previous seasons. Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle etc. These teams just can't cope with RHs tactics. The players are motivated to get back to winning ways. I have always liked Fulham and hope they stay up, but we should be a few levels above them. 

Fulham coped with Liverpool and Klopp's tactics pretty well the other day. I doubt they're having sleepless nights over a weakened Saints.

It'll be a tough game.

do not get the general bad feeling of most about this game at all. fulham have been playing better but are still very average at best. they will be without that cavaliero up front who is a main reason for their recent form. their defender is back which is obviously better than anything else they have but people are talking as if he is sergio ramos. we drew against arsenal and lost 1-0 to city and suddenly people are talking as if we are in some massive slump of form. lighten up its christmas. we have won 5 of the last 6 against them ffs and will turn them over 1-0.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Plus Romeu, that's the spine of our team and best players out. Fulham have bonus of red card rescinded.  

Not feeling at all confident, can see it being similar to the 3-2 defeat there a couple of seasons ago. Odds on Fulham win look tempting. 

Weather warning for high winds, won't be much protection of that coming in off the river, New stand still a construction site. Mitrovic to score. 

I reckon I'll get on the booze early in anticipation of this prognosis 😂

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Scott Parker won’t be there. Self isolating. Someone in his family. So Gray taking charge. Oh the irony. Sky presenter did t seem to know about how saints commection

Bonus for us, I’ve been impressed with Parker, it’s bound to have an effect. 

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

He cant defend though.

Exactly.

As important as it is to be able to bring the ball out from the back and play an extravagant pass, I'm sure we'd all prefer to see a centre back who can actually defend competently. 

Stephens had a purple patch when the league resumed after lockdown in June but before that and whenever he's played this season, he's made basic defensive errors. 

People who know about football have said some very good things about Salisu - give him the chance to prove it. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

18 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I really hope he doesn’t go with Stephens but think he will

Yep, I think so too. Ralph obviously invests a huge amount of faith in his 'automatism' philosophy and Stephens, whilst having been out of favour for a while, is best equipped out of Salisu and himself to slip into said automatisms. In other words, and in that regard, Salisu is very much on square one, whereas Stephens is a bit further up the board. That said, Stephens is possibly more prone to landing on a snake...

Edited by trousers

4 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Exactly.

As important as it is to be able to bring the ball out from the back and play an extravagant pass, I'm sure we'd all prefer to see a centre back who can actually defend competently. 

Stephens had a purple patch when the league resumed after lockdown in June but before that and whenever he's played this season, he's made basic defensive errors. 

People who know about football have said some very good things about Salisu - give him the chance to prove it. 

That’s not true to be honest. Aston Villa away last year around this time was the first game where he looked real quality, and had a pretty solid season from that point onwards. He had a poor start to the season and hasn’t been back in since, which is just football. 

Stephens did very well for us at points last season. Seems to be a misconception that the 9-0 was his last real start for us. Remember very well his performance away to Leicester (mocking Vardys celebration too) where he was a rock for us. Said it before, I dont think hes a starter for us, but certainly can do a great job when called upon (could be the case this weekend). However, what would be the point in signing Salisu then? Hes had the extra opportunity to get up to fitness/speed with Ralphs system. He comes with a good reputation and its not as if hes being thrown into the deep end (not a must win game, no fans etc). If Vestergaard is definitely out then I would like to see Salisu

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DT said:

Scott Parker won’t be there. Self isolating. Someone in his family. So Gray taking charge. Oh the irony. Sky presenter did t seem to know about how saints commection

Not sure it will have much impact,  what happened to West ham when Moyes had to miss a few games?

1 hour ago, LeG said:

#AnnounceSalisiuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Surely he gets picked over JS. I've been enjoying Saints since we've eradicated defensive mistakes. Whilst Stephens is capable of really good games (and terrible ones), Salisu has eye watering levels of potential and was looked at by sides like AM, Real and Barca. We took the punt regardless of injuries. Now lets see him in action. Salisiuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Disagree with this. Stephens for me. 

When did Salisu last play a competitive game of football? I'd like to see him in u23s or play in the Shrewsbury game first. We've already got Diallo coming into the midfield who has hardly featured. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Disagree with this. Stephens for me. 

When did Salisu last play a competitive game of football? I'd like to see him in u23s or play in the Shrewsbury game first. We've already got Diallo coming into the midfield who has hardly featured. 

Stephens has barely played either so that argument falls apart. He also remains a liability... particularly in aerial duels. I think he'll be 4th choice from now on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeG said:

#AnnounceSalisiuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Surely he gets picked over JS. I've been enjoying Saints since we've eradicated defensive mistakes. Whilst Stephens is capable of really good games (and terrible ones), Salisu has eye watering levels of potential and was looked at by sides like AM, Real and Barca. We took the punt regardless of injuries. Now lets see him in action. Salisiuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

If there is a match to try out Salisu this is it. A behind closed doors game against an average attack in a match where in reality the result won’t mean much. We know what Stephens can do  and although we don’t like it it’s not much. I’d like to see salisu play. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

Both Diallo and Salisu have been with the club for several months. If they are not ready to play in the first eleven, the club has dropped another blooper or two. As expressed above, behind closed doors against a struggling, inconsistent team, it isn't going to get better than that. Playing them against a team way, way off our standard (currently top half of the PL) is not a valid try out.

On 23/12/2020 at 12:22, JRM said:

He hasn't scored in the PL since mid-September. So yes, you can bet your house on it.

7 hours ago, DT said:

Vestergard is injured how? Knee? Bit fishy?

Not sure why as he makes every tackle, every header and most of our impressive balls from the back.

You would never sell your best defender during mid season plus on the first offer.

Maybe next summer someone will bid 70m for him which we will take.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Not sure why as he makes every tackle, every header and most of our impressive balls from the back.

You would never sell your best defender during mid season plus on the first offer.

Maybe next summer someone will bid 70m for him which we will take.

He will only have one year left next summer, so I doubt we ll get that.

20-30 mil tops

I'm hoping Jack starts tomorrow. Despite what some say on here, he's very comfortable on the ball - in my opinion along with Jannik our best ball playing centre half. People seem to forget second part of last season, he was immense particularly the Man City home game - Jack was imperious :) I think Salisu will come on in the second half for some minutes - hopefully with us in a comfortable winning position.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I'm hoping Jack starts tomorrow. Despite what some say on here, he's very comfortable on the ball - in my opinion along with Jannik our best ball playing centre half. People seem to forget second part of last season, he was immense particularly the Man City home game - Jack was imperious :) I think Salisu will come on in the second half for some minutes - hopefully with us in a comfortable winning position.

He's OK on the ball, but not in a ping it about like Vestergaard type way. I have no idea who I'd prefer to play - having seen nothing of Salisu I don't know how anyone can say that they'd prefer one over the other. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Fulham vs Saints — Build-up & Match
  • Jimmy_D locked and unpinned this topic