Fulham vs Saints — Build-up & Match

SuperSAINT

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Don't eat too much for breakfast and get some dubbin on your boots, just in case you get the call.

Haha......and Whitey Grandad, if that call should come, we don't want you overdoing it in the warm-up, maybe a game of Subbuteo whilst the others are warming up.

I would imagine if Ralph does call for you, it maybe you will be on the bench. If you do get onto the pitch.....and score......don't worry about doing the knee slide in celebration. Just a modest wave to the (non-existent crowd) and perhaps a kiss of the badge. I'm only sad we all won't be there to witness it, but be sure of this, we will be cheering our respective Amazon Prime screens. 

Difficult game to call this - I think Fulham are a team that have a lot more potential than their points tally would suggest. We should be good for the win and a convincing one at that, but if their coach gets the tactics right we seem to struggle to successfully find a plan B. They love a draw, so that seems a likely outcome ... 1-1. Heart says let’s have an overdue stuffing and we win comfortably 4-1.

The player we will miss most today is Romeu who has become a formidable box-to-box player and amongst the best in the league. Games these days are won and lost in midfield and his commanding presence and reading of the game will leave gaps in defending and attack and have a severe impact on our automatism. Diallo will have huge boots to fill, some ask for a debutant starter at this level despite the very reassuring comments from Ralph about the new lad's abilities. Ralph is too much Mr Safety First to risk two new starters in one match which is why Stephens will start over Salisu.

The enforced absences of Vestergaard, Romeu and Ings means we are unlikely to perform at our best and it could descend into a bit of a scrappy match with little rhythm from either side. The whole thing may become niggly and foul ridden and rely on moments of individual brilliance or stupid individual errors to break the deadlock. In these respects we have potential match winners in JWP and Walcott and a match loser in Stephens who seems often prone to watching the game rather than participating in it. It won't help if Bednarek has to move to the left to accommodate Stephens.

I am not expecting a great game and a 0-0 draw looks most likely. If anybody breaks the deadlock it will likely be through an error by either defence, a free kick on the edge for JWP or an "after you Claude" moment by our CB's in our own box. The latter is more likely. If anybody sneaks it, expect a Fulham win 1-0.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The player we will miss most today is Romeu who has become a formidable box-to-box player and amongst the best in the league. Games these days are won and lost in midfield and his commanding presence and reading of the game will leave gaps in defending and attack and have a severe impact on our automatism. Diallo will have huge boots to fill, some ask for a debutant starter at this level despite the very reassuring comments from Ralph about the new lad's abilities. Ralph is too much Mr Safety First to risk two new starters in one match which is why Stephens will start over Salisu.

The enforced absences of Vestergaard, Romeu and Ings means we are unlikely to perform at our best and it could descend into a bit of a scrappy match with little rhythm from either side. The whole thing may become niggly and foul ridden and rely on moments of individual brilliance or stupid individual errors to break the deadlock. In these respects we have potential match winners in JWP and Walcott and a match loser in Stephens who seems often prone to watching the game rather than participating in it. It won't help if Bednarek has to move to the left to accommodate Stephens.

I am not expecting a great game and a 0-0 draw looks most likely. If anybody breaks the deadlock it will likely be through an error by either defence, a free kick on the edge for JWP or an "after you Claude" moment by our CB's in our own box. The latter is more likely. If anybody sneaks it, expect a Fulham win 1-0.

I agree with that. It'll be tough game. Mitrovic will bully Stephens if he plays, and shifting Bednarek to the left isn't ideal. No idea whether Salisu would be better, but Stephens is a known quantity and I'd expect Ralph to play him. Diallo has big boots to fill, but I'm confident about him today and I reckon he'll do well and give genuine competition in midfield. It's the front 4 that interests me. I was told the other day that Ralph has been informed that attacking football is expected, so I fully expect no safe option and Djenepo to start. 

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:I'm only sad we all won't be there to witness it, but be sure of this, we will be cheering our respective Amazon Prime screens. 

😀 🙂 you planning on Cheering on Clarkson, Hammond and May and their Massive Hunt - While the rest of us are watching Saints at the Cottage on Sky? 😇

Happy Christmas 

13 minutes ago, egg said:

I agree with that. It'll be tough game. Mitrovic will bully Stephens if he plays, and shifting Bednarek to the left isn't ideal. No idea whether Salisu would be better, but Stephens is a known quantity and I'd expect Ralph to play him. Diallo has big boots to fill, but I'm confident about him today and I reckon he'll do well and give genuine competition in midfield. It's the front 4 that interests me. I was told the other day that Ralph has been informed that attacking football is expected, so I fully expect no safe option and Djenepo to start. 

Informed by who?

Edited by Toadhall Saint

49 minutes ago, egg said:

I am sure that RH will expect the players to play as they have been coached.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

😀 🙂 you planning on Cheering on Clarkson, Hammond and May and their Massive Hunt - While the rest of us are watching Saints at the Cottage on Sky? 😇

Happy Christmas 

Haha. It's an age thing. Getting confused with the West Ham game. No, I'll be on Sky - Amazon for West Ham. Why is life so confusing? Thanks for straightening me out. You don't know where I left my car yesterday do you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Salisu for me as he has the pace we will need when bednarak does his usual, slip, get nut megged, caught out of position etc.

Am actually super looking forward to this game, think it will be a nice win but really want to see Diallo and hopefully Salisu.

Kept armstong in the team as he is a usual guarantee for 2 goals v these type of sides with Theo on the other side.

7 minutes ago, benjii said:

We bought Salisu because we needed an upgrade at centre back. Sticking Stephens in would be completely retrograde, if Salisu is fit enough.

We didn't. We bought him to have an upgrade or option for left sided CB. He was to replace or give competition to Vestegaard who was playing like a donkey. Fortunately Vest has.ompletely transformed and so Salisu's path has been somewhat compromised. Perhaps Salisu could play today with Vest out, it would seem logical from that pov, but given he has only become available in the last.oupke of weeks it seems a hell of a risk to start him. Perhaps bring him on as sub 2nd half if we are    comfortably winning (or losing) but otherwise all logic says stick with what you know and trust, especially with so many other key players missing. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, benjii said:

We bought Salisu because we needed an upgrade at centre back. Sticking Stephens in would be completely retrograde, if Salisu is fit enough.

Totally agree.

This obsession with right footed defenders being restricted to right centre back and left footed ones to left centre back is overworking the delicate brain for some I think.

3 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Totally agree.

This obsession with right footed defenders being restricted to right centre back and left footed ones to left centre back is overworking the delicate brain for some I think.

Stephens. Why? Mistake waiting to happen. Adjusting to a Fulham win

On 25/12/2020 at 13:10, davefizzy14 said:

I'm hoping Jack starts tomorrow. Despite what some say on here, he's very comfortable on the ball - in my opinion along with Jannik our best ball playing centre half. People seem to forget second part of last season, he was immense particularly the Man City home game - Jack was imperious :) I think Salisu will come on in the second half for some minutes - hopefully with us in a comfortable winning position.

I called it right ;) common Jack :) Good to see Shane in the side today, hoping he gets a goal today. I'm going 2-0 to us Theo and Jack to score :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I called it right ;) common Jack :) Good to see Shane in the side today, hoping he gets a goal today. I'm going 2-0 to us Theo and Jack to score :)

Yeah actually forgot about his playing skills, he got a lot of assists over the last 12 months so makes sense, was just super keen to see Salisu start.

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Yeah actually forgot about his playing skills, he got a lot of assists over the last 12 months so makes sense, was just super keen to see Salisu start.

I think Salisu will come on in the second half hopefully when we are comfortably in front. Were you on about Jack about the assists over last 12 months? :)

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I think Salisu will come on in the second half hopefully when we are comfortably in front. Were you on about Jack about the assists over last 12 months? :)

yeah he went on a purple patch of being an assist or big chance creator for us for a bit with his sprayed passes over the top for Ings

Just now, Convict Colony said:

yeah he went on a purple patch of being an assist or big chance creator for us for a bit with his sprayed passes over the top for Ings

Yes thats correct, he got three assists last season, I remember the one over the top for Danny against Tottenham at home, absolute class. Hoping for another today :)

Don’t mind long starting this tbh.

i did say in the summer another striker should be a priority in case ings got injured.. let’s be honest tella and lndulu haven’t really even had the presence to touch the ball a lot so far.. at least long is combative and makes his presence known.. also with Adams strong hold up play he has a bit of speed to maybe get on the end of some of the moves..

walcott could have been a option I guess but using him up front probably also weakens the number ten position where he’s playing well 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Fulham vs Saints — Build-up & Match
  • Jimmy_D locked and unpinned this topic