Saints Pundits on TV

eurosaint

With all the matches now being televised there is more time devoted to the match pundits and their comments !

I cannot remember the last time a former Saint was used in our recent matches. Sky have sacked MLT, Benali seems to have disappeared now as well and there are no others that I can recall !

I'm discounting the likes of Andy Townsend because his main career was elsewhere.

So now we have great performances like last night and have to listen to the one-sided views of Carragher !

I am right on this or just being paranoid ??

It's funny, how Sky went through so much effort to make sure Tiss never watched a saints game, Merson didn't watch Arsenal etc, now we have Gary Neville regularly commentating on Utd and Carragher on Liverpool.  It's absolutely bonkers. Especially like last night when they had Carragher chatting about Liverpool, and Ince chatting about Liverpool...

19 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Beyond those two you mention I am struggling to think of one, I suppose you can't really have pundits covering every team. 

Harry Redknapp 😉

Jamie Redknapp

Graeme Souness 

Alan Shearer 

Peter Crouch

Glenn Hoddle

Ok they all aren't Saints through and through... but they are all current pundits and either played for or managed us.

Shearer is probably the only one who has any real feelings towards the club and he is the main pundit on the UK's biggest football show.

Edited by Matthew Le God

But there are countless ex Fulham or ex-WBA, ex-Wolves, ex-Palace, ex-WHU, ex-Burnley pundits on Sky all the time right? Pundit-ing all over the shop whenever their teams play.

Or maybe Carragher and Neville are the lead pundits for the channel and then there are some others who most of the time played for a big club. Or fill a quota for the ladies.

• Like 1

Whilst Gary Neville can sometimes be a bit one eyed when co commentating United games - to be fair if they are being given a good going over he will call it how he sees it and give credit where its due for the opposition - on the flip side Carragher is tunnel vision Liverpool and the opposition shouldn't have even bothered turning up. When they are being given the right run around by oppos the main commentator has to drag Carragher into the conversation. Last night when the cut back to the studio, he was funny as he was seething at the temerity of Southampton to beat his Liverpool - That was a pretty crap Studio though having 2 Liverpool players to pundit on the game and make it the Liverpool TV Show - There are plenty of non Liverpool pundits they could have dragged in for balance - but all you have to do on a week day is flick through the Sky sports football channels and you can be assured of catching a old Liverpool game - which is hardly a surprise when you look at Premier League money pay out spread, even when City have won the league Liverpool have won the money league through the amount of times they have featured on Skyverpool Sports. 

It ain't likely to change anytime soon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Who cares? All that matters is what happens on the pitch.

Lots of people on this discussion forum !

The number of mentions that Carragher got in the post match thread is what prompted me to start this one !

Just seems to be a dearth of ex Saints and hardly ever any balance in the studio or co-commentary !

Just trying to stimulate a conversation, not aiming to upset anyone 🤔 !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eurosaint said:

With all the matches now being televised there is more time devoted to the match pundits and their comments !

I cannot remember the last time a former Saint was used in our recent matches. Sky have sacked MLT, Benali seems to have disappeared now as well and there are no others that I can recall !

I'm discounting the likes of Andy Townsend because his main career was elsewhere.

So now we have great performances like last night and have to listen to the one-sided views of Carragher !

Benali was the pundit last night on SSN........!

12 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Yeah, must have been watching something different to everyone else. Thought Ince was okay actually and JC not too biased, how shit Liverpool are is a bigger story than how good we were. Just the laws of the media game unfortunately 

Normally when we play a big team and win their star player(s) can't be arsed and just stroll around or our kepper has a worldy. I thought Liverpool played better than City and caused us more problems than they did although there was less work for Forster than McCarthy largely because we defended better as a team. Of course a Liverpool supporter would rather be 3-0 up after 20 minutes against us like in previous years but I wouldn't have described their performance as 'shit'. It was just a bloody good team performance from us - and it needed to be.

On 05/01/2021 at 11:02, Matthew Le God said:

Harry Redknapp 😉

Jamie Redknapp

Graeme Souness 

Alan Shearer 

Peter Crouch

Glenn Hoddle

Ok they all aren't Saints through and through... but they are all current pundits and either played for or managed us.

Shearer is probably the only one who has any real feelings towards the club and he is the main pundit on the UK's biggest football show.

All those are primarily associated with another club so don't really count.

No one looks at Shearer and goes 'oh that ex-Southampton' player do they, he's a Newcastle legend who won the league with Blackburn.

Same for the rest pretty much played or managed us for a season at best in most cases and far more associated with other clubs. 

For a 'Saints' pundit I think we'd have to be their main played for club or club they had the most success with,  in much the same way Carragher - Liverpool, Neville - Utd, Redknapp - Liverpool, Shearer - Newcastle,  Richards - Man City, Evra - Man Utd, Owen - Liverpool, Keane - Man Utd etc. etc. 

Candidates for that, maybe Rickie Lambert, James Beattie (though he's trying to be a manager), 

For one to appear though they have to something above and beyond everything else because they won't have played for one of the big 6 and therefore they are not much use (though I always think match day coverage is best with one pundit for either team and a neutral, England games with pundits who aren't English are better IMO than 3 ex-England players over praising England). 

Most main TV pundits are ex Liverpool, Man Utd, occasionally Arsenal and occasionally Spurs players, and Sky have got Micah Richards in there because Man City have become big. 

Much like the Sky Sports banner on youtube has 6 players on it, because the other 14 clubs in the league are just there to make up the numbers and be talked about far less. 

20 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

All those are primarily associated with another club

I did explain that in the post.

Shearer is probably the only one who has any real feelings towards the club

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If only we had a black one armed lesbian transgender chick as an ex player. She’d  be on pretty much every game.  

4 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Can you name all the black one armed lesbian transgender chick ex player pundits please 

Cheers

Can you name a pundit on pretty much every game please.

cheers 

On 05/01/2021 at 09:37, eurosaint said:

As Woody Allen said "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.😉

I live in Tanzania and Matt Oakley is one of the lead pundits here. On Friday night we have "Oaksy and Doddsy" where he goes through the main PL stories of the week with Jason Dodd and previews the weekend fixtures.

Most people are out on the mega piss on Friday nights though. Just don't drink anything offered out of a Jerry can!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, benjii said:

I live in Tanzania and Matt Oakley is one of the lead pundits here. On Friday night we have "Oaksy and Doddsy" where he goes through the main PL stories of the week with Jason Dodd and previews the weekend fixtures.

Most people are out on the mega piss on Friday nights though. Just don't drink anything offered out of a Jerry can!

Over here in Tajikistan the biggest football show on TV is The Cherednik Verdict, where Saints 1980s legend Alexei Cherednik casts his eye over the football stories of the week, supported of course by right hand man Sergei Gotsmanov.

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Over here in Tajikistan the biggest football show on TV is The Cherednik Verdict, where Saints 1980s legend Alexei Cherednik casts his eye over the football stories of the week, supported of course by right hand man Sergei Gotsmanov.

Here in Uzbekistan we have two saints related shows, “Howells about that“ where saints legend David Howells reviews the weeks premier league action with Jeff Kenna and Paul Moody. interestingly a lot of the local spurs fans slate him for only ever referring to his time at saints. “ Hiley hi”, is a more light hearted show where former Saints hero Scott Hiley Engages in mild pranks with the local football teams, aided by his defensive sidekick Richard Dryden. Kind of a Beadles about meets Football focus. The Uzbekistanis cant get enough of it. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Here in Uzbekistan we have two saints related shows, “Howells about that“ where saints legend David Howells reviews the weeks premier league action with Jeff Kenna and Paul Moody. interestingly a lot of the local spurs fans slate him for only ever referring to his time at saints. “ Hiley hi”, is a more light hearted show where former Saints hero Scott Hiley Engages in mild pranks with the local football teams, aided by his defensive sidekick Richard Dryden. Kind of a Beadles about meets Football focus. The Uzbekistanis cant get enough of it. 

Marshall Law - Former Saints defender Scott goes through the weekend's refereeing decisions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Appy said: Marshall Law - Former Saints defender Scott goes through the weekend's refereeing decisions.

Alas Smith and Jones. A light hearted review of this weeks premier league by  Former Saints stars Ryan Smith And Paul Jones 

Two of the best ever Saints pundits on our screens over the years are not surprisingly two of our greatest legends, Channon and Lawrie.

Mick was part of the ITV panel for a few years, and prominent in the 1986 World Cup where he always offered a forthright opinion. He also coined the name “ Line-acre” for England’s new goal scoring hero. 

Not sure he featured much after that, perhaps he wasn’t fashionable enough for the next World Cup.

Lawrie was a feature with BBC for a number of years. At one time there seemed an ongoing friction between him and Jimmy Hill. Think it was during the 1980 Euros where Hill was wearing a hooped top, and Lawrie a fairly bold checked shirt.

Lawrie made some comment about Hill’s shirt and that there was no need for the viewers at home to adjust there ‘horizontal hold’ .Jim the Chin was clearly riled by this and shot back with “well at least the viewers won’t think I’m dressed for a barn dance !”.

• Haha 1

Let’s not forget famous cameo roles taken by former staff: 

Les Reed as Arthur Daley, before that playing Fred Gee in Coronation St (Google it)! Also auditioned for Albert Steptoe 

Who can forget Ross Wilson as ‘wee Jimmy Krankie’ ?

29 minutes ago, Badger said:

Let’s not forget famous cameo roles taken by former staff: 

Les Reed as Arthur Daley, before that playing Fred Gee in Coronation St (Google it)! Also auditioned for Albert Steptoe 

Who can forget Ross Wilson as ‘wee Jimmy Krankie’ ?

Cortese as Nick Nack.

JWP and Theo are both very articulate and I'm sure will be candidates for punditry after retirement ! If you add Ings and Armstrong to the list then future is looking quite bright 👍

Some of the current names who were mentioned earlier are deffo not pro Saints ( ie. Hoddle, Souness & Saggychops) also Prutton only does the lower leagues ! 

Terry Paine was the main man in South Africa for many years but seems to have retired now but  I'm pleased to hear that some of our (proper) ex players are involved in some other countries (excluding the pisstakes😝) !

On 17/01/2021 at 23:22, adrian lord said:

Channon and Brian Clough had a terrible on-air personality clash when they were both studio pundits in one of the World Cups. It was excruciating to see. 

Neither were seen again in a studio. 

Channon and Brian Clough had a terrible on-air personality clash when they were both studio pundits in one of the World Cups. It was excruciating to see. 

What a memory you have!

• Like 1

Mick used to call Lineker "Lineacre"

• Like 1