Jump to content

Danny Ings contract situation..


Recommended Posts

Interesting in the sense that I am fairly sure Wallace was the journalist who wrote the briefed story about Ings wanting to play CL football and not wanting to sign a new contract until he had assessed his options.

Clearly he doesn't want any suitors to be put off by suggestions this injury is any more than a minor one.

Would suggest Wallace is the one to watch re Ings stories in the coming months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TWar said:

Getting another support striker would be a bad move. More likely we move for a poacher who can play off Che and Redmond who are both more providers. Doubt Che will just become a 9, it's not really his strength. Who knows tbh.

Redmond is one player we need to look to upgrade on if we're saying he's a provider. A quick look at his stats and he's provided 14 assists since joining us in 2016. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I was thinking when he came off that that was his last goal/game for saints.

That was a weird moment. Took a decent shot, almost on target. Next thing we see he's literally just walking off whilst play went on . Obviously off screen he must have signalled a pull or something to the bench but on tv it looked  like he just gave up out of frustration or boredom. (Not suggesting for one second that was the case).

Hopefully we'll see plenty more of him but have to admit, when watcing it I thought exactly the same as you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Redmond is one player we need to look to upgrade on if we're saying he's a provider. A quick look at his stats and he's provided 14 assists since joining us in 2016. 

Yeah agreed. His new role up top is as a provider style support striker and it seems to be yielding better stats than when he played as one of the 10s, with 0.07 xA per 90 vs 0.02 as a 10 this season and last. He is still poor though in both roles, Che on the other hand manages 0.08 which is mildly better, but he has more goal threat and his hold up play means he often helps us get up the pitch even if he is often two or three passes before the goal rather than the actual assist. Che actually has a quite respectable 0.29 xG per 90 whereas Redmond is stuck on 0.16.

Long story short, if Ings goes Adams will stay as a support striker, bag 7-10 goals a season. We will hopefully bring in a poacher to play off Che who will bag 10-15, and Redmond will be relegated to the bench.

Edited by TWar
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

We need a 'number 9' either from an overseas league or English Championship. Budget of £15M.

Need nominations to meet those criteria. Looking for the next Pelle or Lambert.

There's this guy I know, think his name is Carillio or something...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

We need a 'number 9' either from an overseas league or English Championship. Budget of £15M.

Need nominations to meet those criteria. Looking for the next Pelle or Lambert.

We don t need a target man or someone slow. For Ralph s style we need someone with pace a la Timo Werner

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wout Weghorst, not sure we'd get for £15 million, but maybe around 20. He's 28, in peak years, works very hard, not the quickest, 6' 4", and has a better than 1 in 2 in the Bundesliga for Wolfsburg over the last 3 seasons. 

Wolsfburg are currently sitting 3rd in the Bundesliga so on for a Champs League place, so if they get that maybe no potential but if they dropped out might be a chance, I mean we have recruited from BM before and they are similar sort of level to Wolfsburg, i.e below the sort of top 2-3 clubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah agreed. His new role up top is as a provider style support striker and it seems to be yielding better stats than when he played as one of the 10s, with 0.07 xA per 90 vs 0.02 as a 10 this season and last. He is still poor though in both roles, Che on the other hand manages 0.08 which is mildly better, but he has more goal threat and his hold up play means he often helps us get up the pitch even if he is often two or three passes before the goal rather than the actual assist. Che actually has a quite respectable 0.29 xG per 90 whereas Redmond is stuck on 0.16.

Long story short, if Ings goes Adams will stay as a support striker, bag 7-10 goals a season. We will hopefully bring in a poacher to play off Che who will bag 10-15, and Redmond will be relegated to the bench.

As they say, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saints foreva said:

Redmond is one player we need to look to upgrade on if we're saying he's a provider. A quick look at his stats and he's provided 14 assists since joining us in 2016. 

I don't like to slag players off but the bloke is fucking shit. 

He's ok as a squad player but for us to be starting him every game?...I know we're not top 6 material but we are still a premier League team.

Amazed at the amount of grief Adams gets on here though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

We need a 'number 9' either from an overseas league or English Championship. Budget of £15M.

Need nominations to meet those criteria. Looking for the next Pelle or Lambert.

Abdallah Sima of Slavia Prague

Aaron Boupendza of Hatayspor

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wish I played Football Manager.

A 19 year old standout player for an Europa League quarterfinalist and the 24 year old top scorer of the Turkish League for a newly promoted side. These are hardly outlandish suggestions. And I doubt they are any good in Football Manager considering this is a breakthrough season for both, not that I would know, haven't played it since FM17.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SKD said:

If we get another Adams, does that then mean Adams is no longer the ‘support striker’ as the new man will be and we can rightly criticise how bad he is in front of goal? 

This anti Saints stance is becoming an obsession mush

If you cut your finger would you bleed red or blue?

Pmsl 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2021 at 17:24, Wade Garrett said:

Wish I played Football Manager.

hahahhahahahahaha bro everyday i think that when i either come up with a name i've rabbit holed down and become an expert on or see one from someone else and i dont even play FM.

God damn the transfer window is gonna be tough this year, no money and shopping in the 1 pound shop.

Therefore in the spirit of that i think we need experience to replace ing's and bring on the younger strikers.

So please step up Syrian national team striker Omar Al Somah, the pelle striker we've been missing. 

11 goals in 21 games in the Saudi Arabian league, tall 1.92m 2 good feet he has it all.

Would be a great option off the bench for plan b.

 

 

 

 

This is a joke

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2021 at 17:40, Convict Colony said:

Poster name to subject posted checks out

Was the misspelling of "Queue" (Or possibly "Cue") factored into the equation?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s unreal. So clinical. Let’s just hope he signs the context, club seem very confident that what he wants hasn’t materialised…(guessing it’s a top 4 club - City Utd Chelsea Liverpool in my mind)

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest if he doesn't sign, I'd still refuse any bids. What could we do with 20-30m in terms of replacing him immediately? Absolutely nothing.

Might as well keep him for another year, evolve the team a bit more, see where we end up. Maybe get in a clever striker this summer with an eye on him being an Ings replacement, but provide him a year to play the second fiddle role.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole situation is starting to confuse me tbh. Club seem adamant he’s going to be here, every other signal says he’s off. Club said he’s out for the season with that recent injury, headlines straight away say he’ll be back soon, and obviously that was the case. I’ve assumed for a while that he’s off, but not sure whether to get my hopes up with the noises coming from the club! Really hope we can see another season, into double figures in such a stop/start season for him is quite impressive - last season definitely wasn’t a one off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s a no brainer to accept a £20m bid for him. We will be down without him, and that will cost many times more than 20m..........

Edited by SW5 SAINT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he won’t sign then let him run down his contract. The transfer fee we would get for him is nothing compared to staying in the Premier League and to do that we need him.  
 

The club need to grow some balls on this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I agree with keeping him to the end of his contact, as long as we think he will maintain his form if he misses out on his dream top-four move. He's probably not a Van Dijjk character, but we did also see it with Beattie arguably, that players aren't always the same when you play tough with them.

It sounds like Danny has handled himself well during the contract negotiations and we may feel a responsibility to take his career ambitions into account.

I certainly wouldn't sell to anyone outside the Champions League

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
Link to post
Share on other sites

The obvious thing to do is to keep him until his contract ends. Give him big love, prima dona status, and a big send off when he goes.

I doubt Danny will agree. His injury record means he has a very small window to make the next big move. 

The only ray of hope is that he sees a move to a top 4 side as potentially moving to a bench position. He also needs to see some investment and ambition at Saints. Finishing his career at Saints has to have some attractions.

However, he has his career to think about and deserves a decent move. Sadly all Saints can offer at the moment, is the limelight and a relegation battle.

I for one would wish him well. They'll be another Ings/Lambert/ Beattie out there. Just have to hope the club can find them quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully there might be a different angle to this. Maybe the club have told him that they are actively looking to improve the squad in the hope of challenging more seriously next year. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the contract goes unsigned and Ings sees where we are next season and makes a decision. Like most have said we should absolutely reject all bids this Summer, unless of course Ings has told the club he definetly won't sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, macca155 said:

The obvious thing to do is to keep him until his contract ends. Give him big love, prima dona status, and a big send off when he goes.

I doubt Danny will agree. His injury record means he has a very small window to make the next big move. 

The only ray of hope is that he sees a move to a top 4 side as potentially moving to a bench position. He also needs to see some investment and ambition at Saints. Finishing his career at Saints has to have some attractions.

However, he has his career to think about and deserves a decent move. Sadly all Saints can offer at the moment, is the limelight and a relegation battle.

I for one would wish him well. They'll be another Ings/Lambert/ Beattie out there. Just have to hope the club can find them quick.

I'm still hopeful that he'll sign a new deal having weighted up some of the points you've made (and considered how his Liverpool career went, albeit not helped by injury).  The thing that would really frustrate me is if we lost him to the likes of West Ham, Wolves or even Newcastle as traditionally I've always seen them at the same level as us (probably naively as I think they all have deeper pockets than us when it comes to wages).

I think it will be a close one in the end, but you're right, there are other nuggets out there for us to find.  Whatever the outcome, Ings has been a stellar signing and we'll at least get our money back if sold this summer having reaped the dividends of the last 2-3 years.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, so, so important to us, as last night demonstrated.
Fingers crossed he sticks around for a while longer...

Most non-penalty Premier League goals since the start of last season:

33 — Kane 
31 — Ings 
30 — Salah & Sterling

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph’s MO is to not play a player who is leaving. So do we take any solace from the fact that Ings is still starting? Or is Ralph just having to make an exception in this case because he knows we won’t win a game without him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Ralph’s MO is to not play a player who is leaving. So do we take any solace from the fact that Ings is still starting? Or is Ralph just having to make an exception in this case because he knows we won’t win a game without him?

Could easily be either as, yes, I suspect Ralph would make an exception for someone of Ings' quality / importance

Link to post
Share on other sites

The most difficult part is that likely Ralph and the club won't know what is going to truely happen until near the end of the window, unless a big team moves for Ings early on.

Clearly he would need a good replacement but if he only leaves in August then our targets will probably have gone and it will massively disrupt our start to the season.

He is probably unlikely to be involved in the Euros which might benefit in that a team can move earlier for him if they want to.

Ultimately everyone will hope he stays and for that reason the club will probably not give him a deadline to sign or be sold...I think it will rumble on for a while yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be honest if he doesn't sign, I'd still refuse any bids. What could we do with 20-30m in terms of replacing him immediately? Absolutely nothing.

Might as well keep him for another year, evolve the team a bit more, see where we end up. Maybe get in a clever striker this summer with an eye on him being an Ings replacement, but provide him a year to play the second fiddle role.

 

If you let him leave on a free you are left down £20m in terms of replacing him, which makes that so much harder. If we had a half decent owner that might be an option but just don't see how it's a feasible long term plan given the current ownership. Still keeping m fingers crossed that the optimistic beats coming from the club aren't just for our benefit and that there's a chance he'll sign the new contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be honest if he doesn't sign, I'd still refuse any bids. What could we do with 20-30m in terms of replacing him immediately? Absolutely nothing.

Might as well keep him for another year, evolve the team a bit more, see where we end up. Maybe get in a clever striker this summer with an eye on him being an Ings replacement, but provide him a year to play the second fiddle role.

 

Agree.

But over the last few years we haven't done the sensible planning thing. Can only hope that's changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LordHester said:

Which signals are those, out of interest?

Probably the fact he’s had a contract offer on the table for 6 months and it remains unsigned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought there was a 'gentleman's agreement; between Ings and Ralph, that he would be go in the shop window, and if an offer comes in from top side, then he'll go. But if the only bidders are middling clubs, then he'll reject them and sign another contract. I think it could be July before a decision is taken. We are down the food chain, and the likes of Mbappe, Aguero etc need to find homes before clubs look at Ings. I think Cavani's signature closes the door at Man Utd. Now let's see how City, Leicester, Spurs unravel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

If you let him leave on a free you are left down £20m in terms of replacing him, which makes that so much harder. If we had a half decent owner that might be an option but just don't see how it's a feasible long term plan given the current ownership. Still keeping m fingers crossed that the optimistic beats coming from the club aren't just for our benefit and that there's a chance he'll sign the new contract.

Our best approach is to keep him, buy someone this summer for £10-15m (or a loan with a view to buy) who can use a season to grow into the side with the idea of them replacing Ings.

Still risky, but probably the safest way of doing it. Selling now and pocketing £20m would put us in as worse a position as letting him go for free without a replacement.

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Our best approach is to keep him, buy someone this summer for £10-15m (or a loan with a view to buy) who can use a season to grow into the side with the idea of them replacing Ings.

Still risky, but probably the safest way of doing it. Selling now and pocketing £20m would put us in as worse a position as letting him go for free without a replacement.

Not sure I agree. You’re way the club is absorbing a £20m loss whereas if you sell him you are reinvesting that 20m transfer fee in his replacement. Without investment Even if the loanee turns out to be good enough to buy spending £15m you haven’t recouped would damage the club’s ability to buy player’s unless they sell other saleable assets we don’t want to lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})