Stadium Upgrades - Block 31 Kingsland..

miserableoldgit

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The thought of paying £105 a game doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest and don’t forget that we’re bound to miss a few games for all sorts of reasons.

What the hell were they thinking? Who the hell are these aimed at?

£105 a game is straight up madness! 

Anyone paying that could (and should) be sectioned under the Mental Health Act. *

*the above post is not intended to make fun of anyone suffering with any mental health problems. 

If you are struggling with any issues that affect your mental health, please contact the Samaritans on 116 123. **

**The above post is not intended to be ironic. 

Presumably there will also be a rise in the cost of a seat in Block 31 for the non-ST buyer. I've been a member for the past few seasons and often buy a singleton ticket in that block. I'm not going to pay a load more for a comfy seat. I'll just go to an adjacent block.

Edited by waylander
typo

5 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

The problem that I have is that I fell out of love with football a long time ago. The money, the "Big Six", the England "Boys Club" etc, but because watching Saints has been a habit and a way of life for over 60 years it has been difficult to give up. Sadly, it has got to the stage where it wouldn't take too much to stop. Some may think that this is an overreaction but it could be the final straw. I could save the money and get BT Sports instead. I already have Sky and Amazon so would be able to catch all Saints televised games. I think that the club are taking a lot for granted....

I don't think we will be on TV next season very much, and I think from next season the 3 broadcasters will be doing away with broadcasting every PL game. 

I can't remember if we were only on TV 9 times last season, it was less than the minimum 10 that every club gets paid extra for!

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

If they want a block in the Kingsland for more posh seats... then it sounds like they need another tier in the Kingsland for more affordable seats for those displaced. 😉

Can Open Season 2 GIF by Friends

Think I remember that could be a possibility, might start a new thread suggesting it... 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Block 5 said:

Not Block 31 related but I'm commenting on the general sentiments expressed. 

I completely empathise with @Griffo's position. And whilst I don't want to see Saints relegated, the Premier League really ain't all that. Over half the people in the stadium seem to be there to wank off over the opposition. 

It's soulless and corporate. We're viewed as customers, and might as well be sat in the Imax or the Odeon. 

Yep agree with this - I remember against Man U last season at home, the number of people fawning over Rio Ferdinand who was in a box somewhere for BT Sport I think.

We've moved into an era where many seem to go purely to post for social media

15 minutes ago, London Saint 82 said:

True ... I’m just saying I’m not surprised that they are trying something like this as I don’t recall an increase in season tickets for ages ?? I mean the letter says you can go to block 30 or 32 ... so I am guessing that’s the old price ? 

Have prices been announced for blocks 30 or 32?

Is £999 the most expensive, at St Mary’s £52.63 a game, £105 for a pair.

Central blocks were always more expensive. No consultation or phasing in of premium plus prices. If full of corporate then atmosphere will change, most of the seats around me have until recently been occupied by long term ST holders who had the opportunity to choose seats when moving from the Dell. You would think that 20 years loyalty would gain some advantage. 

1 hour ago, Block 5 said:

PS. @Matthew Le Godyou really are an insufferable prick. I'd rather go to a game with @Turkishthan you, and he's a right cunt. 

I'm not anywhere near as insufferable in real life! 😉

Work Working GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Sure I annoy some people on here, but many Saints fans don't mind my internet personna. If you don't like my posts... the forum has a block function!

• Like 1

Just creating another area of the ground (sorry, stadium) with no atmosphere. The club are in danger of pricing out the thermos carrying and blanket over the knee brigade. Not sure we are successful or fashionable enough to attract the fuckers they want (ie the Surrey commuter who'll pay the £22 for burger in the 'wine bar' under the stand type of bollocks).

Perhaps I've done them a disservice though and the padded seats are for those with lumbago, or just don't want a cold and uncomfortable arse when watching.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'm not anywhere near as insufferable in real life! 😉

Work Working GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Sure I annoy some people on here, but many Saints fans don't mind my internet personna. If you don't like my posts... the forum has a block function!

If you're less of an insufferable prick in the real world, perhaps be less of one on here. Normal grown ups don't need to create personna's. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Block 5 said:

£105 a game is straight up madness! 

Anyone paying that could (and should) be sectioned under the Mental Health Act. *

*the above post is not intended to make fun of anyone suffering with any mental health problems. 

If you are struggling with any issues that affect your mental health, please contact the Samaritans on 116 123. **

**The above post is not intended to be ironic. 

At that price I wouldn’t need a padded seat, I’d  need a padded jacket!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SaintH said:

I’ve had the same letter. Pretty appalling customer relations to tell someone who has had a ST there since the stadium opened (20 years) to take it or leave it! An extra £250 a year to have a cushioned seat FFS. The seats certainly can’t be any wider. We chose the seats right on the halfway line and been paying the premium to do so ever since. And now told to cough up or they will helpfully find us other seats in the stadium. And this at a time when they are desperate to get people back. This sort of callous behaviour by the club won’t do much to deter some of us from not bothering anymore. 

They really know how to look after the fans don't they. Getting fed up with the constant money grabbing from saints and the Premier league. Football without fans is nothing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Streaky said:

They really know how to look after the fans don't they. Getting fed up with the constant money grabbing from saints and the Premier league. Football without fans is nothing!

It's quite apt that in the week we've been looking back at pics from the last game at The Dell 20 years ago this is a good reminder of how far removed the club is from it's fan base now.  I've been in Kingsland centre a few times, it's mainly old boys who've had their seats since we moved to St Mary's, they will feel completely disregarded in this. 

What I don't understand is the club clearly struggle to sell the Premium packages that we already have, often corporate boxes empty , hospitality in Itchen centre only tends to sell out for big 6 games and it's not Saints fans buying those packages. 

If the new seats are bigger then assume this actually reduces our capacity as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saints foreva said:

This club claim to be a family club but they've been so out of touch with the working class fan for years now, it's a joke. 

Not sure that 'working class' has anything to do with it anymore, as none of my graduate, long term saints fans friends would be prepared to pay that either. We can discuss John McGrath, Fred Kemp etc with our years of support but wouldn't pay that money for a seat. A complete misreading of the market by the club. We are a small regional club without the market and the salaries that London teams can command.

21 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I fail to see how pricing me out of a seat I’ve had ever since it was installed counts as an upgrade. Perhaps they think that getting rid of all us old gits is an upgrade.

Look at the super  league talk , you are a legacy fan, they need to attract the next gen casual fan, seduced by the opportunity to watch star players in the world's greatest league (playing against Saints) 

• Like 1

Never mind padded seats for prawn sandwiches and fogies, they need to reduce the prices dramatically  behind the goals and if safe standing won’t be allowed then have long benches (think Dell side stands before seating proper came in) and significantly increase the fan density and capacity of those areas, attracting back the 15-25 year old fans along with some soul and atmosphere. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 1

That letter should be sent to Talk Sport. I could imagine Jim White, Simon Jordan and Adrian Durham having some fun at Saints expense especially if given our final league position. You never know it may focus the club.

I live up north now and gave up my Block 31 ST when I left. I would not have renewed at that price. I see Saints about a dozen times a season but it wouldn’t bother me if we went down. With the lack of 3pm Saturday KO’s now in the Prem I’m getting a pair of ST’s at Crewe Alex next season. Best seats in the house for £400 a pair - that’s £17 for both of us per game. Proper family oriented club, decent stadium, 3pm KO’s, no VAR and they actually play decent football.

my first love will always be Saints but I’m not going to be mugged off and that is exactly what is going on in the Prem. COVID has clearly taught them nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

That letter should be sent to Talk Sport. I could imagine Jim White, Simon Jordan and Adrian Durham having some fun at Saints expense especially if given our final league position. You never know it may focus the club.

Am no a grass. 

For years I couldn’t afford going to a game let alone get an ST, then eventually I was financially able to start going to SMS buying single games now and then around different parts of the ground.  When we were 2 seasons from relegation I managed to get a half season ST in the Kingsland due to so called supporters not returning, which I could then turn into full ST the season after. I felt myself very lucky to get a seat on the halfway line, row W and right on the aisle too. I’ve made friends with those around me, some of whom have passed away and not returned.  In many ways, it’s been a privilege.

While I understand the clubs ambition to improve facilities, I think shafting your most loyal supporters with an extra £300 on the seat they’ve held for years is ungrateful, disloyal, corporate greed orientated and just completely misinformed. The fact it’s a discount on the usual pricing is no more than a slap in the face...cold comfort.

Will I renew? Well the interesting thing is that I have over £300 sat in my account from last season, so it would actually in theory not cost me anymore this season to renew. I suspect there are many like me and I also suspect that a corporate little genius has worked out that us old fogeys with £300 sloshing around will probably renew as we’ll not miss this squirrelled money. Annoyingly they’re probably right. I probably will renew but only for this season. I’m close to retirement and so £1000/year is not something I can justify in my pension planning.  

Like all those years ago as a nipper, I’ll have to support Saints from afar as I will not be able to afford anything more than an occasional game. A pity as I was really looking forward to taking my Grandkids with me and help ignite a new generation of supporters. Oh well...the new corporate IT driven world has given me the opportunity to watch every game streamed and this last year has proven to me that, sadly, I can live with that.

• Like 8

A one season's grace at the same price would have been a nice little acknowledgment of loyal support but sod that when there's money to be made eh ?

The padded seats in the first few rows are gonna get bloody wet by the way 😂

Edited by beatlesaint

16 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I haven't received my letter yet so thankyou for the scan of it above. Very disappointed that so little consideration has been given to many who have held the same seat since the move from The Dell. People who have sat with each other for 20 years now but only know each other through their love for The Saints and only come together for a couple of hours every home match all cast to the four corners of the stadium, so to speak.

A one season's grace at the same price would have been a nice little acknowledgment of loyal support but sod that when there's money to be made eh ?

The padded seats in the first few rows are gonna get bloody wet by the way 😂

It’s going to need some serious thought by me. I don’t like being too far off centre so a pair of seats at the same altitude but not too far away might be a possibility but I know then that every time I look across and see some plastic in a suit sitting in a seat that I have had ever since it was first installed is going to piss me off bigtime.

The other question is where all those who current sit in block 31 are going to move to. I can’t imagine that many will pay this extortionate price hike.

The new seats can’t be any wider as we have all had a letter stating that “as a current Season Ticket holder, a seat will be reserved in the same location as your previous general admission seat”. Yet the letter also states “we truly believe it will offer a better and more comfortable experience”. 

The letter is signed by Mr. Anthony Cole-Johnson who obviously doesn’t have a clue about what makes a football supporter yet his title is apparently “Director of Sales and Stadium Experience “

• Like 5

Takes me back to when I was a nipper and paid 1/- (5p) to stand (in all weathers) in the old Chocolate Boxes at The Dell having queued outside for almost an hour to ensure we had the best view.

The club then got promoted from the old Third Division in 1960 and one of the first home games was against Liverpool (we beat them 3 times that season btw!!)

Without any notification t andhe club decided to jack up the Boys entrance charge to 1/6d (ie a 50% increase) which many of the boys didn't have, myself included)

Fortunately the stile man knew my Dad, who was a steward at the time, and allowed me to enter the ground, find my Dad and get the additional sixpence.

That experience has lived with me for 60 years and may have put me and others off watching Saints if I hadnt been fortunate. 

I wonder how many regular supporters will be put off by this rather ill considered 'initiative'?

The only argument I could suggest for this move is if the club reduced prices elsewhere by the same difference, therefore increasing football's affordability,  compared to other clubs are cheapest seats are still quite pricey. (I know the club tried to change this adding in the Itchen Chapel corner £399 season ticket. 

The club are probably hoping most of block 31 will just suck up and pay the extra or move to equivalent seats in blocks 30 or 32. 

8 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

I live up north now and gave up my Block 31 ST when I left. I would not have renewed at that price. I see Saints about a dozen times a season but it wouldn’t bother me if we went down. With the lack of 3pm Saturday KO’s now in the Prem I’m getting a pair of ST’s at Crewe Alex next season. Best seats in the house for £400 a pair - that’s £17 for both of us per game. Proper family oriented club, decent stadium, 3pm KO’s, no VAR and they actually play decent football.

my first love will always be Saints but I’m not going to be mugged off and that is exactly what is going on in the Prem. COVID has clearly taught them nothing.

I am pretty much in exactly the same circumstances as yourself, me and the lad get to a few home games when we visit family down south, but do more aways in and around the Midlands.   I'm in Whitchurch so I might consider joining you at Gresty Road for a more old school football experience. 

You would think, especially after the ESL fiasco,  that clubs would understand that fans are fed up of being taken advantage of. 

19 hours ago, Badger said:

Just creating another area of the ground (sorry, stadium) with no atmosphere. The club are in danger of pricing out the thermos carrying and blanket over the knee brigade. Not sure we are successful or fashionable enough to attract the fuckers they want (ie the Surrey commuter who'll pay the £22 for burger in the 'wine bar' under the stand type of bollocks).

Perhaps I've done them a disservice though and the padded seats are for those with lumbago, or just don't want a cold and uncomfortable arse when watching.

A bone-hard seat I can handle,it's the watching part I find most uncomfortable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

How many STs did we sell this season ?  10,000 ? that highlights the situation and going on results there would have been thousands of empty seats at home games this year.

I was told between 15-16k 

When club asked those who felt comfortable returning to the stadium in November/ December about 10k "opted in" 

1 minute ago, spyinthesky said:

Down from a height of 20,000+??

Think we had that certainly in 2016/17, not sure last few years. I get why some didn't renew this season, was always looking likely we'd struggle to attend, I'd like to think 4k had seen enough of VAR and binned premier league football but doubt it was that many. 

I cannot believe the decision of the club  to send this letter out unless it was destined for April 1st but they messed this up. Nearly on a par with Rupes comment that the catering was good though.

And the announcement timed just after the last home game of the season, so no fans can show their objection in the stadium - and the letters sent out to arrive on a Saturday, again so no one can speak to the club - and I’m told the ticket office is closed this week so again, no one can be contacted. They know exactly what they are doing. Cowards. 

20 hours ago, JRM said:

The only argument I could suggest for this move is if the club reduced prices elsewhere by the same difference, therefore increasing football's affordability,  compared to other clubs are cheapest seats are still quite pricey. (I know the club tried to change this adding in the Itchen Chapel corner £399 season ticket. 

The club are probably hoping most of block 31 will just suck up and pay the extra or move to equivalent seats in blocks 30 or 32. 

I hope you are right - even with the £399 Chapel corner ticket they increased the price in others such as Block 4. This Kingsland Plus season ticket idea was floated a couple of season's back and Season Ticket holders were asked about it in a survey. If my memory is right these Plus tickets were muted in the Chapel and Itchen as well I think with the price including hospitality. I live in hope that the club will reduce ticket prices across the board and rip out the seats in the Itchen North 😇 but like every club in the country Saints have lost millions due to COVID. Sad reality is they will try and fleece supporters to claw some of that money back and I think they are hoping that the people in Block 31 who have rolled over their Season Ticket balance will not quibble at spending another £200 to not get piles. 

A generic reply to MLG/those saying fuck off and support Pompey:

You may think the club exists for us to play in the best league, sat on our arses wanking over the quality of opposition, but to many others that's not the case.

I may be factually incorrect about the shareholder situation, but the club are a commercial entity that exist to profit. I don't like it, but understand it. However ticket revenue is such a small % of their income, yet they still hang fans upside down and shake them until their pockets are empty. 

There are many, many examples that show the blatant disregard that the club has for its core support. The free bar in the Kingsland changed to the Gasworks that no fucker will ever pay for. The constant playing along with whatever virtue signalling nonsense is flavour of the month (transvestite flags, tampons in toilets, taking the knee). A fans panel made up of social media celebrities that will lap up whatever the club tell them rather than lobbying for any real change. The ticket office taking reduced allocations at away games to save themselves a few pennies, with no real knowledge behind the decision making process. Selling corporate tickets to away fans in the Itchen North, with stewards doing nothing about celebrating away fans in there, instead turning their attention to ejecting/banning home fans that dare kick up a stink about it below them. £250k given to the club by Virgin Media to benefit away fans (most clubs put on free travel for their own fans etc), what do Saints do? Redecorate the away end for visiting fans at St Mary's! Pretty much every club doesn't give away fans 10% of the ground due to segregation, but what do SFC do, take tickets off Saints fans to ensure away fans do get their full 10%. Lots of clubs have come out to advocate for safe standing at football - not a peep from Saints. 

The Premier League is not the be all and end all of football. Virgins all over social media that only care about who the club are signing and for how much, fans online calling for a managers head after a few bad results, abusing our players after one bad performance, and fans in the ground holding up signs asking for opposition players shirts. Irregular kick off times in the premier league and not being able to plan an away day until much closer to the fixture, meaning increased travel costs and unsociable kick off times. Bland, soulless football grounds full of mute customers that want to take pictures, film and vlog everything that happens. Our fans fawning over the potential of Red Bull taking over the club for a bit more success, with no care for the history or tradition of the club. An entire football season of utter shit can be made worthwhile by one moment (Shane Long at Anfield, for example) - now those moments have been taken away from fans in order to ensure an armpit isn't offside.

At a time when COVID has impacted peoples jobs, income, mental health and way of life, and fans are finally beginning to be allowed back in stadiums, Saints yet again fall so far wide of the mark. They have paid lip service to the greed of the european super league, but again their actions don't support their words. 

Edited by Griffo
  • Like 14