Lyanco

Saint Matty 76

1 minute ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

There are a lot of negative posts here from what I can see from a quick scan. Let's just wait and see shall we? Personally, on looking at those videos I find myself seeing both massive potential and yet also some things that may be of concern. Whether they will be of concern remains to be seen as does whether we can bring out the best in him. Nevertheless, this is what I observe so far:

• He has far more flair pushing out of defence than your typical centre back and great ability moving forwards. That makes him a potentially great defensive midfielder.
  • He looks good at turning a defensive position into an attacking one. Again this makes him good at both CB and DM.
  • He looks good at intercepting passes within a high line - that suits the Saints way of playing. Also good as a DM.
  • He looks good at making raking long passes out of defence. That replaces what we have lost in Vestergaard.
  • His marking in the 7-0 defeat was ok at first but seemed to drift as the game went on. He may need some coaching in that area.
  • In the 7-0 defeat the other defenders around him seemed particularly hopeless, especially for some of the first few goals where Lyanco was not to blame at all. No defender can be expected to do it all - they operate as a defensive unit. We will need to ensure that our defence builds that level of understanding.
  • There is limited evidence of him tackling. Potentially he may need some coaching in that area.
  • He looks good in attack - both scoring from headers and making telling assists. That's brilliant and exciting to see. He may be more of a Ward-Prowse type DM than a Romeu but may have potential in both styles of DM play.

Hopefully by buying a cheaper player we can also buy a couple of other players such as Thierry Small and who knows, maybe another player too?!

So apart from being a defender who is crap at marking and tackling he looks alright?

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I'm fine with us being a club that buys players with the intention to sell on for a healthy profit, as long as we actually use that profit and don't absorb ~£20m net spend when we really need to tighten our side

but don’t u know we are the only club with agent fees and delayed receipt of cash and accrued interest expenses that we need a net profit to survive.

we’ve also spent £2.5m getting a new tv for the stadium and probably outsourced our season ticket suppliers which adds to cost. 

As for the £100m or so every club receives from the Prem - don’t ever dare ask about that because we can only buy if we sell

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, sydenhamssocks said:

Between August 26th and September 27th he scored 

1 league goal v West Ham. 2 v Newcastle  and 1 v QPR. plus 1 league cup goal at Millwall  = 5 

I was one out   Apologies 

He still looked well off the pace in the first couple of games and got written off here

95% of this board (including myself) didnt even know who Lyanco was at lunchtime today. Fast forward a couple of hours and the majority have wrote him off because of a 5 minute youtube video, the tweets of some Torino fans and the low price tag. Id be inclined to trust those at the club whose job it is to analyse the player in depth based on what qualities Ralph wants at CB, not the experts on here.

Our transfer business the last two years has been solid so they've earned the benefit of the doubt imo. Ings was wrote off by plenty on here, KWP was the same, S Armstrong, Adams, the list goes on. Be plenty lining up to say "I told you so" if his debut is anything other than top drawer. Maybe give the guy some slack and judge him after a few games, its not hard

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Jeez, I can’t believe some of the premature pre-Madonna’s on here! You say Hoedt and I raise you Mane! Give the f-ing guy a chance why don’t you? I maintain that it takes two CB’s to tango…with Bednarek or Salisu he may be a revelation…or even Stephens…who knows?! Fact is at the moment if either Bednarek or Salisu make a howler, Ralph has nowhere to turn to change the pairing. This will give options. It may be a disaster, but we’re sailing so close to the wind at the moment that I doubt even a £30m signing would make much more difference to the outcome of this season.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

95% of this board (including myself) didnt even know who Lyanco was at lunchtime today. Fast forward a couple of hours and the majority have wrote him off because of a 5 minute youtube video, the tweets of some Torino fans and the low price tag. Id be inclined to trust those at the club whose job it is to analyse the player in depth based on what qualities Ralph wants at CB, not the experts on here.

Our transfer business the last two years has been solid so they've earned the benefit of the doubt imo. Ings was wrote off by plenty on here, KWP was the same, S Armstrong, Adams, the list goes on. Be plenty lining up to say "I told you so" if his debut is anything other than top drawer. Maybe give the guy some slack and judge him after a few games, its not hard

Is this true? The only signing I remember anyone unanimously deciding was a joke was Carillo and that was more aimed at the hipsters making out he had a goal record of one in two when everyone could see he was utter shite and so it prived

what I see here is a club in desperate need of a good player in a certain position and we’ve made a lot of money from selling players yet when we could have paid a bit more for proven quality we’ve gone for someone cheap who looks a risk. He might turn out to be brilliant and if he does everyone will be delighted. But on the face of it will he come in and make us better straight away liike we need him too? You’d have to say no. 

• Like 2

We seriously cannot afford to sign another defender who needs to learn how to defend ffs.

We have enough of those already and our world class coaches are not making them any better.

We need someone who knows the boring art of defending as it’s beyond our current crop for the majority of games.

• Like 7

Looks like a poor mans David Luiz going by his yootube vid. Would look comfortable as a holding midfielder I suspect.

Will wait to see him play before making too much judgement. Price a little bit more than what we want for Obafemi so bargain if he works out decent enough.

Reckon we will see the young Everton LB come into the B Team soon too.

Edited by skintsaint

Let’s not be hasty here lads… I do seem to remember during the summer of the Koeman rebuild, we bought in a certain Florin Gardos just before the start of the season, and then later went on to sign Mr Toby Alderweireld just before the window closed.

Gardos was bought in as an unknown, untested European “talent” that saints took a punt on for a low fee (a very similar 6 million in fact), who ended up being nothing more than a sporadic squad player for the rest of his career with us, albeit hampered by injuries.

Surely it isn’t too far fetched to believe this could be a similar situation currently unfolding in front of us, so I suggest we all try and keep our toys firmly secured in our collective prams until the window slams shut on the 31st. 

Then and *only* then will we know if saints have had a decent transfer window.

Keep the faith

COYS

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ElTrinidad said:

Let’s not be hasty here lads… I do seem to remember during the summer of the Koeman rebuild, we bought in a certain Florin Gardos just before the start of the season, and then later went on to sign Mr Toby Alderweireld just before the window closed.

Gardos was bought in as an unknown, untested European “talent” that saints took a punt on for a low fee (a very similar 6 million in fact), who ended up being nothing more than a sporadic squad player for the rest of his career with us, albeit hampered by injuries.

Surely it isn’t too far fetched to believe this could be a similar situation currently unfolding in front of us, so I suggest we all try and keep our toys firmly secured in our collective prams until the window slams shut on the 31st. 

Keep the faith

COYS

Good hypothesis except for the likelihood that this time round there will be no Toby.....just our 2021 version of Gardos.   

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Looks like a poor mans David Luiz going by his yootube vid. Would look comfortable as a holding midfielder I suspect.

Will wait to see him play before making too much judgement. Price a little bit more than what we want for Obafemi so bargain if he works out decent enough.

Reckon we will see the young Everton LB come into the B Team soon too.

......and if he has potential as a holding midfield player (I haven't watched the youtube clips yet) maybe the board are looking at him as a possible CB and back up holding midfield player. Two positions for the price of one as such. Just a thought.

• Like 1

If we get this signing wrong, it could very well send us down. I can’t say I’m particularly confident about it. For the first time since promotion, I genuinely feel that we’re in deep, deep trouble this season. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Out of interest, what is everyone basing their views on? I'll be honest, I know absolutely nothing about him. I've heard of him, but I don't know much bar looking at his attributes online.

I'm just a bit confused as to why it's getting these sorts of reactions when we don't really know much about him.

Im just struggling to see how the club has managed to identify him as what we need in this situation...in a time when we badly needed a leader who could step into this backline and make a difference. we badly needed an actual defender and we go for a ball playing type.

I want to get behind the team and player but seriously hard to look past the facts here.

Serie A- beyond the top teams its not the strongest league around nowadays.  Torino- weak team in a weak league, finished 17th and 16th last two seasons, conceding 60+ goals each.  Experience- not a lot, 21 starts last year, 15 year before, 13 on loan at bologna. 

3 hours ago, ElTrinidad said:

Keep the faith

COYS

This idea is what is keeping me going. I just refuse to believe this guy is actually the Vestergaard replacement- he just can't be - and we will bring in a "proper" replacement on the deadline as the dust settles.

This guy is utility squad meat, he's not the first choice CB we desperately need.

If it turns out we're wrong and this guy is the guy, then relegation awaits. Penny-pinching suicide.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, ElTrinidad said:

Keep the faith

COYS

Was just thinking this, also Ralph said earlier in the window that last summer we tried to frontload our spending and it ment when good deals became available at the end we couldn't take them as we ran out of money. Hopefully we are saving the £20m or so we still have for our sales to see if we can convince a Caleta-Car/Sam Johnstone/Jorge De Frutos to join us late on when low on options. Doubt it from what Leach has said but whatever, we can be miserable when 1st of Sept rolls around and we realise we have replaced a Danish international defender with someone who a torino fan today said "Makes Mustafi look god tier".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

"the majority have written him off" no they haven't. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

This idea is what is keeping me going. I just refuse to believe this guy is actually the Vestergaard replacement- he just can't be - and we will bring in a "proper" replacement on the deadline as the dust settles.

This guy is utility squad meat, he's not the first choice CB we desperately need.

If it turns out we're wrong and this guy is the guy, then relegation awaits. Penny-pinching suicide.

I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable way to think. I do think this could result in relegation if this is our last signing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Hope is a good thing CB, and I hope you're correct. Sadly I reckon that's our money spent, so unless there's a loan bargain, that's our lot. 

Unless this guy can miraculously go from not good enough for Torino, to PL class, we've got big problems. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Hope is a good thing CB, and I hope you're correct. Sadly I reckon that's our money spent, so unless there's a loan bargain, that's our lot. 

Unless this guy can miraculously go from not good enough for Torino, to PL class, we've got big problems. 

We should have got Cahill in as well. Then we could have had this guy as dm backup and seen if he was up to it with less pressure. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We should have got Cahill in as well. Then we could have had this guy as dm backup and seen if he was up to it with less pressure. 

Cahill would have been decent. I can only assume our people see something in this guy. To be fair, they've picked well recently and hopefully they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Cahill would have been decent. I can only assume our people see something in this guy. To be fair, they've picked well recently and hopefully they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat. 

But even if that is eventually the case, it's not like he's the certain CB starter that we need straight away. 

Ok i've watched a few more vids this morning and i like this deal more and more.

We got 15mil for jannik and bascially replaced him with a younger, faster, more physical and i believe a better ball playing CB.

The below vid showcases his passing range short/mid/long which would suit our style for sure.

Also dont think he is a squad player for them - he's played in 40 games over 2 yrs (23 last year) and missed 11 games with 2 injuries.

8 hours ago, sydenhamssocks said:

Between August 26th and September 27th he scored 

1 league goal v West Ham. 2 v Newcastle  and 1 v QPR. plus 1 league cup goal at Millwall  = 5 

I was one out   Apologies 

The season did not start on 26th August. So that isn't his first month, plus not sure why you've included the cup game. His first month was 2 league goals as I said.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Don't know what kind of center half people think would come in and single handedly fix our defensive issues. I am not sure even VVD would do that. We concede goals because of the team formation and structure, and shit keepers. Also center halves work as pairs maybe two of the ones we have will gel into a good partnership.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob76 said:

Don't know what kind of center half people think would come in and single handedly fix our defensive issues. I am not sure even VVD would do that. We concede goals because of the team formation and structure, and shit keepers. Also center halves work as pairs maybe two of the ones we have will gel into a good partnership.

No one is expecting that. A significant improvement is perfectly achievable though with the right signing. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

No one is expecting that. A significant improvement is perfectly achievable though with the right signing. 

Just someone to come in and almost immediately show they are an upgrade on what we have.

A bit like what Adam Armstrong has started to do.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The season did not start on 26th August. So that isn't his first month, plus not sure why you've included the cup game. His first month was 2 league goals as I said.

How good Pelle was at scoring goals in his first month has got nothing to do with how this bloke will help our shit defence. If you want a chat about Pelle, start a Pelle thread. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I’m sure is very good with the ball.

personally i’m really surprised they’ve prioritized that over a physically dominant defender given our defensive issues.

Great news.

What we need is someone who can ping balls back and forth to JWP across our 18 yard line, that'll wear down the opposition.

In the utoob vid didn’t see get bullied off the ball, didn’t see him losing the ball trying to dribble it out. Did see evidence that he can hold the ball and muscle his way out of trouble, or pass the ball out accurately. Saw he could hold the ball when being pressed. Saw he could defend his space. Saw he’s not afraid to bring the ball out of defence if necessary and he’s mobile. He also tends to play on the left, so he’s a Vesty replacement and I would wager a better one all in…not much in it perhaps, but certainly no worse. Good chance this guy will be a starter ahead of Salisu to play with Bednarek.

14 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Agree, but we have a high percentage of shortish players (JWP, KWP, A Armstrong, Perraud, Redmond) or those with limited heading ability (Adams, S Armstrong, Djenepo, Walcott). Even one of the current centre halves (Stephens) is limited at heading for his position & Salisu got bullied in the air by Calvert Lewin last year. We have removed Vest, who although he wasn't a legendary header of the ball had the height and physicality to protect the penalty area from aerial bombardment. 

Straight after half time against Everton, we really struggled to clear a series of corners and the inevitable happened. 

I don't believe that this purchase is our only centre half buy this window. I am still hopeful that we'll get somebody else who can play the heading role. I don't believe any of this nonsense that we are only buying "1 more buy" and Lyanco is it. Unless somebody is signing their own suicide note. 

My own (admittedly optimistic) view is that we will get another centre half in, which will allow us to play different styles. Perhaps we could be considering playing 3 centre halves more regularly - we now have 3 full backs who are more than capable of playing as wing-backs.... 

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

no it wasn't. It was 3 league goals in his first month (aug 17 to Sep 17). one against West Ham (30th August) and 2 against Newcastle (13th Sept). If you meant just August, it was 1 league goal. Either way you are mistaken. sydenhamsocks said he scored half a dozen goals, not half a dozen league goals. So why wouldn't he want to include the cup goal? You narrowed it down to the league. The long and short of it is that he scored 5 prem goals in his first 6 games, plus a cup goal during that period, so a pretty damn good start. 

Lets get back to this CB.

Do you think he will he go straight into the side and make an immediate impact or will he be more of a Bednarek, where he is initially cover? 

With Salisu and Bednarek both limited on the ball, is a ball playing CB exactly what we need?

Do we still have the arial ability we need to defend set pieces?

Is CB the real issue, or do we ship goals for other reasons?

22 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Agree, but we have a high percentage of shortish players (JWP, KWP, A Armstrong, Perraud, Redmond) or those with limited heading ability (Adams, S Armstrong, Djenepo, Walcott). Even one of the current centre halves (Stephens) is limited at heading for his position & Salisu got bullied in the air by Calvert Lewin last year. We have removed Vest, who although he wasn't a legendary header of the ball had the height and physicality to protect the penalty area from aerial bombardment. 

Straight after half time against Everton, we really struggled to clear a series of corners and the inevitable happened. 

I don't believe that this purchase is our only centre half buy this window. I am still hopeful that we'll get somebody else who can play the heading role. I don't believe any of this nonsense that we are only buying "1 more buy" and Lyanco is it. Unless somebody is signing their own suicide note. 

My own (admittedly optimistic) view is that we will get another centre half in, which will allow us to play different styles. Perhaps we could be considering playing 3 centre halves more regularly - we now have 3 full backs who are more than capable of playing as wing-backs.... 

Ralph has pretty much ruled out playing 5 at the back so i’d be shocked if we brought in a fifth cb.

Not sure where people are getting this idea that we'll sign two CBs. Unless of course Stephens or Bednarek depart. 

Signing Lyanco will give us four senior CBs plus Simeu which is fine in terms of numbers. I'm not overly enthused by him but let's give him a chance before completely writing him off. Anyone expecting another centre back to come in better prepare to be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

no it wasn't. It was 3 league goals in his first month (aug 17 to Sep 17). one against West Ham (30th August) and 2 against Newcastle (13th Sept). If you meant just August, it was 1 league goal. Either way you are mistaken. sydenhamsocks said he scored half a dozen goals, not half a dozen league goals. So why wouldn't he want to include the cup goal? You narrowed it down to the league. The long and short of it is that he scored 5 prem goals in his first 6 games, plus a cup goal during that period, so a pretty damn good start. 

Lets get back to this CB.

Do you think he will he go straight into the side and make an immediate impact or will he be more of a Bednarek, where he is initially cover? 

With Salisu and Bednarek both limited on the ball, is a ball playing CB exactly what we need?

Do we still have the arial ability we need to defend set pieces?

Is CB the real issue, or do we ship goals for other reasons?

We do ship goals for other reasons. GK is one of them, and midfield is the other, and our world class dead ball exponent is part of that problem, despite his improvement (general play) in the past two seasons.   Which brings us back to formation - three in midfield anyone?    One up front?     We don't really have the back four, keeper or midfield (as things stand) to afford a 4-4-2, against good opponents.

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

We do ship goals for other reasons. GK is one of them, and midfield is the other, and our world class dead ball exponent is part of that problem, despite his improvement (general play) in the past two seasons.   Which brings us back to formation - three in midfield anyone?    One up front?     We don't really have the back four, keeper or midfield (as things stand) to afford a 4-4-2, against good opponents.

good question. Getting outnumbered in the middle kills you. So three in midfield might be needed, with wingers making five. Che would have to be the lone striker. Not sure Ralph is going to do that, so unless the new CB solves all our problems, which he wont, we need to improve collectively or points are going to be hard to come by. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I’d agree with this for one.

I’d be going 4-2-3-1, or 5-4-1 (I guess we can manage many variants of this in and out of possession). 

The 4-2-2-2 clearly isn’t working, and unless we change it I’m not sure how we expect things to get much different. 

Although, the keeper issue clearly costs us many goals over a season.

Just now, austsaint said:

From my perspective - Ralph has delivered more good than the last couple of managers and I still feel he has been dealt a tough deal getting rid of all the dead wood over the last couple of years.

But the rigid desire to play the sacred 4-2-2-2 no matter what the situation or opposition is a real flaw - when the midfield is getting overrun why not occasionally bring Diallo on and play 3 in the middle with Rom & JWP. Or 5 at the back for certain games.   It frustrated me when he brought Diallo on and asked him to play as the attacking right sided midfielder (the number 10 for the youngsters in the audience). That isn't his position and he looked like a fish out of water however hard he tried. And this isn't an isolated example - we really need to be more prepared to start or adapt our team - at worst it will surprise the opposition who knows exactly what our tactics are. 

We need to be more flexible and change formation to adapt our game to the situation. 

6 hours ago, ElTrinidad said:

Keep the faith

COYS

It looks like that’s all folks 

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

De Ridder was branded the messiah on here following posters watching you tube clips. 

I have never heard of the guy, but research better than you tube must have been done within the club. 

We also signed Guido Carrillo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

It looks like that’s all folks 

Still think we will use our 2nd loan spot - be interesting to see what position we use it on. Expect we will wait until the end of the window, should be plenty of unsold players floating about.

• Like 1

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

We also signed Guido Carrillo.

Yep and we know why, that was very much a panicked decision based on a manager under threat and the club or les Reed pretty much going on a desperate managers word. 90% of signings follow a much stricter period of review 

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yep and we know why, that was very much a panicked decision based on a manager under threat and the club or les Reed pretty much going on a desperate managers word. 90% of signings follow a much stricter period of review 

Like Lemina, Hoedt or Gunn?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1