Lyanco

Saint Matty 76

31 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

No faith at all in the club or especially Ralph at the moment,  sad times,  on the plus side league1 and championship seasons were great

Oh dear, you do sound depressed.It's been a good window so far, no reason to think we've suddenly gone back to the bad days. Just think how well we have done on our tiny budget to still be in the same league as teams who can spend hundreds of millions on copious players ans pay them accordingly. We can't but we're still in the same league. Does that make you smile and feel proud?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

He was not making the starting lineup in a team that were very poor and finished 17th.

Unless we can see something that no-one else can, doesn't sound good.

Seems more like someone who would agree to come to us rather than us being incredibly smart. I think our black box is broken!

21 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Oh dear, you do sound depressed.It's been a good window so far, no reason to think we've suddenly gone back to the bad days. Just think how well we have done on our tiny budget to still be in the same league as teams who can spend hundreds of millions on copious players ans pay them accordingly. We can't but we're still in the same league. Does that make you smile and feel proud?

Well yes but that's largely because quite a few teams at the bottom have a similar budget to us. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't seem likely we'd spend 7 million on a backup does it. 

7 million should be the going rate for a CB backup and not a starting CB...

....that is if the goal is to stay up.

Edited by SaintTex

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Doesnt every club have to pay these or is it just us?

They do, but some clubs can absorb them, but skint clubs probably can't. If we've £45m of fees, £4.5m will probably go on loyalty payments, plus some on signing on fees, some on agents. In reality I suspect that £45m has turned into £35m. 

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

He was not making the starting lineup in a team that were very poor and finished 17th.

Unless we can see something that no-one else can, doesn't sound good.

Perhaps that was the problem.  Typical poor management, leaving the talent on the bench ;) 

35 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Doesn’t seem to offer the aerial ability we really crave with vestergaard gone. 

From the clips seems decent on the ball but i’m Struggling to see him as what’s neeðed.

Vestergaard had aerial ability? I seem to have missed that watching his games for the past 2 seasons. He's tall, but he barely gets off the ground and is nowhere nar as dominant as he should be. Lyanco seems to have pace which is what we have really lacked at the back.

• Like 2

I’m sorry to say it but this worry’s me, it’s staring us in the face that he’s not great and is certainly not the best player we could have brought with the Vestergaard money, like I and others on here have already said we could and should of (in my opinion) have of reinvested the entirety of the Vestergaard money into a better and more experienced player, we cannot afford no scrimp and save in this position! Here’s hoping this lad proves me wrong and I’m not totally writing him off before he plays with us but he has a whiff of Hoedt about him. 

Edited by Uncle Albert

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yes they do, how is that relevant? Money from transfer incoming does not only go on new signing fees, it goes on everything else I listed.

So everybody is in the same position then. So it’s totally relevant 

• Like 2

Seems to be rapid, technically gifted, good range of passing, but questionable at defending. I can see why Ralph might like him because he's a good athlete. Enjoys dribbling the ball forward... A kamikaze defender for a kamikaze system. It looks like he probably should be a midfielder. Still, I wonder if he's the leader and organiser we need.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Seems to be rapid, technically gifted, good range of passing, but questionable at defending. I can see why Ralph might like him because he's a good athlete. Enjoys dribbling the ball forward... A kamikaze defender for a kamikaze system. It looks like he probably should be a midfielder. Still, I wonder if he's the leader and organiser we need.

I associate Brazilians with attacking flair, not solid defending.

• Like 1

I know nothing of this fella, so have no comment. I guess we will have to hope Crocker etc know what they're doing. I hope we sign him AND one of Worrall or Adarabioyo, which would give us options and strength in depth. (And it would mean Salisu could fill in at left back if we don't bring in a back up.)

There are Carrillo style vibes around this one...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I know nothing of this fella, so have no comment. I guess we will have to hope Crocker etc know what they're doing. I hope we sign him AND one of Worrall or Adarabioyo, which would give us options and strength in depth. (And it would mean Salisu could fill in at left back if we don't bring in a back up.)

There are Carrillo style vibes around this one...

As posted above, no more incoming after this.

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Why? 

- Carrillo is a former player of Pellegrino, Lyanco isn't a former player of Hasenhuttl's

- Carrillo cost a club record fee, Lycano is costing a relatively small £6m

I meant with the feeling amongst the forum users. Carrillo was almost universally panned on here and from what I've read, Lyanco seems to be going the same way!

Like I say I know nothing of him but from what it sounds like on here he's like a crap David Luiz. 😀 I look forward to seeing him prove us wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why? 

- Carrillo is a former player of Pellegrino, Lyanco isn't a former player of Hasenhuttl's

- Carrillo cost a club record fee, Lycano is costing a relatively small £6m

Think he just means that there's nothing positive coming out of his existing clubs fans and he was a complete unknown to the rest of us, but you already knew that.

If he's 6 or 7 million and only a sub at his current (not very good) club, then I think the whole 'we're allowed to reinvest everything we bring in' is proven to be a load of rubbish. Unless this is a smokescreen for someone else coming in (clutching at straws)! The Croatian guy sounded like a much better bet, especially as it wouldnt have broken the bank... 

• Like 3

There are a lot of quick judgements on here. Let's be honest, hardly any one had heard of him this morning and all of a sudden we're all experts on his inability to add anything to us.

He may be great, he may be shit. No one actually knows. But he's a CB, we needed one of those. He's tall, we needed that. He's quick, we needed that too. He can play in CM if required or full back. We needed that too. He's cheap, we needed that too.

Not sure what everyone expected really, we were never spending 20m on a CB. Calata-Carr was the biggest non-event, we're not attractive to those levels of players at the moment.

This possibly leaves some funds for that highly rated left back to add even more squad depth. And we've also used some of our budget to renew JWP's contract too.

We don't have the experience we had last season, but we have a level of youthfulness in the squad that could either sink or swim. Impossible to say yet.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There are a lot of quick judgements on here. Let's be honest, hardly any one had heard of him this morning and all of a sudden we're all experts on his inability to add anything to us.

He may be great, he may be shit. No one actually knows. But he's a CB, we needed one of those. He's tall, we needed that. He's quick, we needed that too. He can play in CM if required or full back. We needed that too. He's cheap, we needed that too.

Not sure what everyone expected really, we were never spending 20m on a CB. Calata-Carr was the biggest non-event, we're not attractive to those levels of players at the moment.

This possibly leaves some funds for that highly rated left back to add even more squad depth. And we've also used some of our budget to renew JWP's contract too.

We don't have the experience we had last season, but we have a level of youthfulness in the squad that could either sink or swim. Impossible to say yet.

Well Lequipe are reporting that Marseille would accept around 14m for Caleta-Car so that should be within our budget. 

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No, this CB is the lot.

There are still rumours of that young LB to come into the reserve team, I imagine some funds are being reserved for that.

People need to come round to the reality that we do not have a pot to piss in and we won't unless Gao sods off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Think he just means that there's nothing positive coming out of his existing clubs fans and he was a complete unknown to the rest of us, but you already knew that.

To be fair signing Caleta-Car would be met with widespread approval on here but Marseille fans opinion of him is pretty negative, as was the opinion of Lyon fans when we signed Lovren and that worked out well despite him being a bellend.

Just wish us going cheap on this meant the club woke up and decided to spend the money on a GK after all. I'll be clutching that straw like my life depends on it until the end of the transfer window.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I trust the board on this one.

Welcome aboard Lyanco.

Glad to hear it! The Ralph-Crocker-Semmens combine has done us proud so far, without any owner support. They and the player deserve our support not criticism even before the guy has set foot in the country

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Glad to hear it! The Ralph-Crocker-Semmens combine has done us proud so far, without any owner support. They and the player deserve our support not criticism even before the guy has set foot in the country

But it is very annoying when people try to say that you can't make an initial judgement before you've seen a player play. The Livramento signing had universal support yet you can't express the opposite view whilst being open to change your mind once you've actually seen him for yourself? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

Sorry, I work nights and have just got out of my lazy bed.  Is this Lyanco fella a definite signing then yeh yeh?  If so, how thoroughly fucking underwhelming.

You aren't allowed to say that apparently. You were allowed to say the opposite for Armstrong and Livramento though. 

• Like 2

Feels similar to Bednarek when he first signed in that it’s not a massive cost, probably won’t be expected to start straight away but a bit of raw talent that could be developed into a good Premier League player.

Had we not desperately needed a centre back, he’d have been considered a decent, low cost gamble. If we were to get an experienced CB on loan for this season as well then Lyanco would be worth the risk as an additional buy.

If we don’t sign another CB than we’re in a bit of trouble.

Edited by ChrisPY
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Feels similar to Bednarek when he first signed in that it’s not a massive cost, probably won’t be expected to start straight away but a bit of raw talent that could be developed into a good Premier League player.

Had we not desperately needed a centre back, he’d have been considered a decent, low cost gamble. If we were to get an experienced CB on loan for this season as well then Lyanco would be worth the risk as an additional buy.

If we don’t sign another CB than we’re in a bit of trouble.

Yep. This would have made sense if we had also got Cahill in on a short term contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't say I was expecting it, but I was HOPING we might actually pull off a signing that seemed impressive and made me think ok we're mixing it and we can compete to an extent, this Caleta-Car (sp) fella would have probably ticked that box. Anyway, let's see how we crack on with this Brazilian bloke that nobody has ever heard of.