Goalkeeper signing?

The Left Back

I've started a new thread on this (my first) rather than carry it on under the McCarthy and Lewis threads.

My understanding is that if both McCarthy and Forster are injured we can sign a keeper because Lewis hasn't made enough appearances.  Am I out of date with this?

For the many on here who don't rate any of our keepers here's the chance to get some fresh blood in.  Not the ideal scenario I know but if the footballing gods are conspiring to offer us our own mini-window, who would you bring in?  I guess the market is loans from other clubs or short-term signings from out of contract players.  

The rule says that all the registered keepers must be injured, certified by an independant practitioner, or unavailable due to international call up. Assuming Lewis is registerd he needs to contract CoViD pretty quick.

Edited by badgerx16

Just looked up the rules. ( Always helps ).

As posted in the OP, an emergency loan should be feasible, under Rule 57, due to Lewis' lack of first team games, but in reality who would be available ?

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/regulations-season-2021-22-final.pdf

Edited by badgerx16

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

As posted in the OP, an emergency loan should be feasible, under Rule 57, due to Lewis' lack of first team games, but in reality who would be available ?

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/regulations-season-2021-22-final.pdf

Can we loan Heaton from Man Utd? He's sat around doing nothing.

What's Karius doing at Liverpool? There's a load of 3rd keepers lurking around who could come in for a few weeks as long as their club are happy for them to go off somewhere and get some games.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Assume it would have to be free agents, looking at transfermarket at UK keepers that's a very poor bunch (The likes of Ben Alnwick/Lee Camp). Might as well just give Bycroft or Lewis the gametime.

As above, emergency loan seems a perfectly fine option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Assume it would have to be free agents, looking at transfermarket at UK keepers that's a very poor bunch (The likes of Ben Alnwick/Lee Camp). Might as well just give Bycroft or Lewis the gametime.

Again Why concentrate on uk goalkeepers?

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Can anyone think of any examples of emergency loans in this league and who the teams managed to get in?

Only ones I can think of are us loaning Kasey Keller or Liverpool loaning Paul Jones off us. 

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

But these are the rules for the Football League, not the Premier League. So maybe slightly different.

Find it unlikely that Forster would not be available, even Macca will probably be OK, for a keeper its not really that bad an injury (though he may be suffering more from the kick in the balls that Ralph gave him). Anyway what is the point of employing a keeper and then not playing him when the situation arises. Mad. We also have 3 goalkeeper coaches, get Sparkes kitted up to sit on the bench (please not SKD).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Find it unlikely that Forster would not be available, even Macca will probably be OK, for a keeper its not really that bad an injury (though he may be suffering more from the kick in the balls that Ralph gave him). Anyway what is the point of employing a keeper and then not playing him when the situation arises. Mad. We also have 3 goalkeeper coaches, get Sparkes kitted up to sit on the bench (please not SKD).

“Not that bad an injury” 

Lyanco was taking bloody goal kicks. 

The one time we need Stuart Taylor… And he left three years ago, where’s that time gone? 

Only emergency goalkeeper signings I can remember us making are Keller and Wright. Keller did a job, while Wright was actually decent, albeit at a lower level, but he did play a big part in keeping us up. Man City signed Martin Fulop on an emergency loan as well once, adding to the examples above.

Either way, Lewis can’t play against Arsenal. His last game for us was against Arsenal’s second string, where he conceded 5 - A Walcott hat trick and Welbeck double. He can’t play against the real Arsenal.

Looking at the list of free agents, a 40 year old Caballero is probably the best option, unfortunately. And looking at the Premier League squads, the third choices are quite dire. Heaton being the best name, but he hasn’t played a league game for near two years now.

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Talking of emergency loan keepers, what's Kasey Keller doing these days? I imagine he's enjoying his retirement from playing but probably still a better bet than Macca... 😂

FYI Kasey Keller is a pundit on us TV, but then again so are Shaka Hislop and Tim Howard so maybe some relevant options?

2 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Some state of affairs when you're genuinely thinking an emergency loan option is likely to improve your chances.

McCarthy has cost us probably 8 points in the last 4 games alone. He is a liability, what can you do?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Cat said:

Can we loan Heaton from Man Utd? He's sat around doing nothing.

What's Karius doing at Liverpool? There's a load of 3rd keepers lurking around who could come in for a few weeks as long as their club are happy for them to go off somewhere and get some games.

I've just seen Kasey Keller going into Staplewood 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

willy caballero Is a free agent if we have to go that route as apparently it’s not in this years Prem rule book about emergency loans. 

If that happened you'd know it would just end up being another Martín Cáceres type situation, pay him £100k a week to sit on the bench and be an understudy to Harry Lewis.

13 hours ago, Appy said:

“Not that bad an injury” 

Lyanco was taking bloody goal kicks. 

Defenders used to regularly take goal kicks, its not the most important part of a goalkeeper's play, and if it protects an injury it is fine. If Lyanco taking goal kicks showed he was seriously injured why did Ralph say he didn't know how bad the injury was? BUT, sounds like his injury is worse than it sounded when I made the comment last night.

Edited by VectisSaint

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Why is Harry Lewis, aged 23 even at the club if they need to sign another goalkeeper so he doesn't have to play on the only occassion he is actually required?

He should have been let go years ago.

He's of a similar story to Isgrove, Hesketh etc. The club keep them around for years longer than they should, but they never make it as has been obvious from day 1. 

Edited by S-Clarke

55 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Defenders used to regularly take goal kicks, its not the most important part of a goalkeeper's play, and if it protects an injury it is fine. If Lyanco taking goal kicks showed he was seriously injured why did Ralph say he didn't know how bad the injury was? BUT, sounds like his injury is worse than it sounded when I made the comment last night.

If he is now going to be out for several weeks he should never have stayed on the pitch. How much worse did he make it by insisting on not going off?

56 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

maybe in the days prior to eh pass back rue change, but you can't play a keeper that cant kick ball due to injury these days. No chance. Madness.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If he is now going to be out for several weeks he should never have stayed on the pitch. How much worse did he make it by insisting on not going off?

he didn't really do anything after the injury occurred, so probably not much. Should have been subbed though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

willy caballero Is a free agent if we have to go that route as apparently it’s not in this years Prem rule book about emergency loans. 
Heaton would be great

Both better than our current first two choices too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He's of a similar story to Isgrove, Hesketh etc. The club keep them around for years longer than they should, but they never make it as has been obvious from day 1. 

I don't really it being the same. Third choice keeper is largely a cheap superfluous position(outside of these rare instances). It's why we had stuart Taylor on the books for several years.

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't really it being the same. Third choice keeper is largely a cheap superfluous position(outside of these rare instances). It's why we had stuart Taylor on the books for several years.

Yeah but Taylor was in his late thirties and was barely even third choice, he’d done the same role at Man City. 

Lewis is early twenties and his career is going nowhere, there’s a good reason, because he’s terrible. 

10 minutes ago, Appy said:

Yeah but Taylor was in his late thirties and was barely even third choice, he’d done the same role at Man City. 

Lewis is early twenties and his career is going nowhere, there’s a good reason, because he’s terrible. 

Which is why lewis is also happy filling the same role as Taylor.